Adult Swim

What, no one liked Korgoth(sp) of Barbaria?

414473[/snapback]

The pilot was meh, but in the same way the Venture Bros. pilot was. I could see it becoming a good series. On the other hand Tom Goes to the Mayor had a kinda meh pilot (the part at the end with the kids getting caught in bear traps made me laugh) and that show has become some kind of black hole of funny.

Robot Chicken is hilarious.  And I don't know how it is now, but SeaLab 2021 was funny back in the day, at least.  The episode where Murphy is stuck under the vending machine and gets addicted to scorpion venom amuses me.

414419[/snapback]

thats a good one. I like the one murphy gets a white farting blob and suddenly it becomes a spoof of gremlins, aliens, and some anime mecha show (not sure what that white suit suposed to resemble)

I disliked Aquateen a lot when I first saw it. Of course, the early episodes weren't nearly as good as some that came later, and even then the show was hit or miss. Some of the shows are pure genius, like The Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future.

SeaLab, on the other hand, I liked instantly. However, since Murphy's voice actor died, it hasn't been nearly as good.

Personally, I think the best things to come out of AS have been Harvey Birdman, and my personal favourite Venture Bros. Both I found to be consistently excellent.

414413[/snapback]

Ah, so that's what happened to kill off Sealab. Eric Estrada was pretty funny too.

I guess I'm in the minority here I love alot of the AS Shows. My favs are Aqua Teens, Sealab, Venture Bros and Boondocks. Aqua Teens is may favorite of them all. Master Shake is the funniest character on all of AS. I agree that most of the newer shows are more miss that hit, but I do like Robot Chicken. Its growing on me. I can personally do with out The family guy and Futurama. They're nothing but the Simpsons clones and its be atleast a decade since I thought the simpsons was worth viewing. My favorite eps from some of these shows are:

1) Aqua Teens--

a) The frat Aliens

b) Anything with Ignock and ERR

c) Video quija

d) Dusty Gozangas

e) Anything with Emory and Oglethorp

2) Venture Bros

a) The last ep of season one where Hank and Dean are Killed, and the Monarch and King Gorilla reenact scared straight with troubled teens

b) the parody of the Fantastic 4

3) Sea Lab

A) The Bizarro eps-- nuff said

b) Grizzle B's with Kid and Play

c) Murphy takes over the lab and starts a nuclear war with the U.S.

4) Harvey Birdman

A) 2 part ep with the Blue Falcon and Dyno Mutt

b) The Apache Chief episode

c) The bird Girl episode

BTW Harvey Birdmans boss is voiced by Stephen Colbert

The Swim usually ends my day. Here's my faves (I don't count the anime and I absolutely h8 Tom Goes To The Mayor <puke>, BTW).

-Family Guy (Duh!)

-Robot Chicken

-ATHF

-The Boondocks

-Minoriteam (Jack Kirby superhero racism at it's finest)

-Morel Orel

-Venture Bros.

-Harvey Birdman (Whenever I get the chance)

Space Ghost and the Brak show were about the only really good programs to come out of AS (with Harvey Birdman coming in at 3rd). Family guy I can watch just about anywhere else (read: on my computer), but everything else just sucks these days. I really hate to say it, but I miss the days when a gundam series of some sort was frequenting AS, instead we're stuck with InuYasha (I could think of SOOO many better shows they could be airing).

Personal taste, I'm afraid... CN gets almost 0% of my extremely limited TV time any more.

The only two shows I routinely watch on AS are Venture Brothers and Boondocks... and only when they have new episodes... which means I am routinely disappointed. Aqua Teen was good when it first started as were Birdman and Sealab, but AS has a serious "wash, rinse, repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat" problem.

What personally kills AS and makes it completely unfunny and unwatchable to me is the sheer volume of repeats they have. Something in the nature of 90% of their programming are not just repeats, but repeats of repeated repeats. Watching AS is like trying to watch a full DVR... everything is something you have seen a million times before (but keep forgetting to erase) but every once in a blue moon something new shows up... and it's usually something stupid that Tivo "picked for you" that totally sucks.

Just watched VB: "Assassinanny 911" and it was pretty dang funny. I must admit though; they're really starting to push the limits of good taste and just how far they can go with some of the sexual themes and such, it would seem. That Molatov Cocktease is a hottie though... :p

I liked Space Ghost Coast to Coast, is that show still on?

I can't stand most dubbed anime, so I never watch AS for that. Aqua Teen is about the only original programming from AS I enjoyed and outside of that I'd rather just pop in the Wonder Showzen DVD than watch any of Cartoon Network's "comedy" programs.

why dont they put on old shows from the Seventies Eightys instead.

thats what most current adults will remember from their child hood.

No i dont want to see re-runs of Pee Wee (that was just odd) or the Smurfs or my little pony.

Yes i saw when they had the Gary Coleman show and Chuck Norris and the Karate Commandos as well as the Mr T show.

Not top pics in my opinion.

They could run Tranzor Z or the cartoon version of Tarzan or something else. Maybe they just need to do a vote of what people want.

i need to check their site.

other than Robot Chicken i dont really bother with the rest of the shows.

they could put on more anime and stop reruning Full metal alchemist.

FMA is not bad show but what else is on?

Imagine seeing Karas or Texnolyze or Yukikaze on Adult Swim

i see Gigantor is on at 0530 EST

Eureka Seven will premier on July 14

edit: forget all that, why dont they just have Macross instead.

Edited by Macross73

No i dont want to see re-runs of Pee Wee (that was just odd) or the Smurfs or my little pony.

Yes i saw when they had the Gary Coleman show and Chuck Norris and the Karate Commandos as well as the Mr T show.

They could run Tranzor Z or the cartoon version of Tarzan or something else. Maybe they just need to do a vote of what people want.

415406[/snapback]

Well. Aside from the scant 70's and 80's cartoons the pickings are pretty slim.....and after seeing this Venture Bros clip on YouTube I'm officially a fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddbWl4r71tQ

BTW. E7 premiered on Adult Swim a few months ago. They're already on episode 12.

415406[/snapback]

Well. Aside from the scant 70's and 80's cartoons the pickings are pretty slim.....and after seeing this Venture Bros clip on YouTube I'm officially a fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddbWl4r71tQ

BTW. E7 premiered on Adult Swim a few months ago. They're already on episode 12.

415412[/snapback]

Looks lile i've got alot of catching up to do on E7 but that was the date they gave on the website. Oh well. Yeah youre right about the slim pickings though on the 70 an 80s stuff. but i just dont get shows like 12oz Rat or whatever it is. they have it listed under comedy I havent laughed once so far.

Heh they should show those old Dick Tracy cartoons. I loved them when they re-showed them when I was a kid. Of course every single minority group was up in arms with torches, and it was the loudest smallest part of the minority groups...

Joe Jitsu was awesome! :lol:

• 3 months later...

I live in Canada don't have Cartoon Network but Teletoon is the same crap Aquateen Hunger Force, and all the other original CN programming plus we get crappy original Canadian programming too... and the teletoon people HATE anime.

But I have to agree that a cartoon channel should not show live action shows... Teletoon shows the Batman and Beetlejuice movies and such, I don't mind Space Jam, Tiny Toons Back in Action and Osmos Jones (all of which they show way too often though), but Batman? Yeah he's based on a comic, but it's not a cartoon.

For the most part the AS line up has it's ups (and downs). . .

Ups:

Venture Bros.

Boondocks

Robot Chicken

Harvey Birdman

Downs:

Perfect Hair Forever (A pile of dung, I made the COLOSSAL mistake of watching the marathon last year, worst 8hrs of tv in my life)

12oz Mouse (My 6 yr old can do better, TV for drunks & Meth heads)

Tom goes to the Mayor (pile of crap, even with Jack Black & Chevy Chase)

Squidbillies (Nowhere as good as they think it is, A chuckle or two at the most)

Moral Oral (Sorry, not even close)

Pee Wee (I'll say it like this, my wife is japanese and even she said "WTF is this doing on tv again. . .?" And YEAH, she knows what he did in the movie theater. . . I say leave the man be. . .) ;):rolleyes:

Now for the reruns,

Family guy: I too have the box sets so, if they keep it up with the new eps from the week before then its cool. . .

American Dad: Ditto

All in all decent line-up but,

-loose the blatant crap,

-stop trying to get the college drunks, acid trippers. . .

I know I don't have to watch them so I don't, but don't waste good tv time with those "downer" shows. . . .

But this is just my opinion. . . .

Edited by DARKWIND

I honestly don't see the big gripe about having Pee Wee on TV. It was (and is) a great show, and damnit, someone should show it. Hell, if there was an all Pee Wee's Playhouse & MST3K network, I'd never watch anything else...aside from Venture Bros. This was an exceptionally good season. Iggy Pop & David Bowie were just icing.

Hey don't get me wrong, Pee-wee is cool but it's just kind of odd seeing it in reruns. . .

MST3K is cool, I loved that show sad to see that show gone. . .

There are a lot of new sci-fi flicks that could use the treatment. . .

I would love to see them spoof the Star Wars Pre-uqals. . . .

Edited by DARKWIND

On MST3K:

I was and still am a massive MiSTie. Those who are and want more, go to:

RiffTrax

Mike Nelson's new shtick, clear out of the Satellite of Love. Downloadable "riff tracks" to modern movies. Simply play your MP3 while you watch the movie. I've bought a few of their riffs and my freaking god are they funny. It's like having classic MST3K just without the silhouettes and host segments.

On Adult Swim:

Someone must have gotten away with saying "Dick" on TV lately because just about every homebrew AS cartoon in the last week has been rather dick obsessed. I think AS has a serious case of penis envy.

I've upgraded my opinion of 12oz. Mouse. after having watched some old episodes back to back on my DVR I'm starting to notice an the almost comprehensible outlines of a storyline in there. It's sort of like watching a poorly drawn 15 minute long version of Twin Peaks on Mushrooms (and that's saying something considering Twin Peaks). I don't know if this storyline will ever move into comprehensibility or just end up as a giant mess like Big O season 2 (I'm guessing the latter), but it is interesting to watch.