Removing Visors From 1/48 Scale Heads

GutsAndCasca

I'm not sure about the 1S head. There's a tab on the top of the visor that holds it into place, so it seems you would have a helluva time removing the visor without disassembling (and in the process, possibly damaging) the head.

I was, however, able to simply pop out the visor from a Hikaru 1J with the tip of an X-acto knife blade. There was barely any glue holding it in place and it came right out without any difficulty. However, my attempt to do the same with the 1J Stealth didn't go so well. Not only did I break off the tip of the blade, but I also put a small chip in the corner of the visor. It looks to me like Yamato used more, or stronger, glue on the Stealth visors.

Good luck with your endeavors. Of course, I assume no responsibility if you damage your 1/48 heads. Or, for that matter, if you cut your fingers with the X-acto.

I've already massacred myself twice with exacto knives. After two hospital visits and about twenty stiches, I'm pretty darned careful. But I still wince everytime I have to use one now... especially when I had to modify the strike armor for my MG2. Talk about an anxiety attack.

I've already massacred myself twice with exacto knives. After two hospital visits and about twenty stiches, I'm pretty darned careful. But I still wince everytime I have to use one now... especially when I had to modify the strike armor for my MG2. Talk about an anxiety attack.

413979[/snapback]

You are better off using a small flathead screw driver as it will get you more leverage than an exacto knife. The 1S head will get damaged taking it apart. But there is no other way to pry the two halves aprt in my experience.

Good luck

Edited by hirohawa

well the A head is the easiest since you can actually take it apart.

the J i haven't bothered with but i've painted a couple. i took a piece of tape and put it over the visor section, then using a sharp knife, i cut around the visor and removed the excess. try to leave a little extra tape so you can stuff it into the edges of the visor so you can paint the inside rim without having to worry. when your done, take some tweezers and remove the tape.

the S head is a pain. i actually had to break the nub that holds the visor in place in order to paint it. i used a break away blade(a box cutter) and pushed it straight down(do not saw at it otherwise you'll damage the head) going along the top of the visor. it takes a little force to cut through the nub but it comes out clean, atleast it did on mine. then shake the head til the nub falls out, paint it, then glued the visor back into place.

AFAIK, theres no other way that i know of to take apart the S or J heads without having to damage or break them.

well the A head is the easiest since you can actually take it apart.

the J i haven't bothered with but i've painted a couple. i took a piece of tape and put it over the visor section, then using a sharp knife, i cut around the visor and removed the excess.  try to leave a little extra tape so you can stuff it into the edges of the visor so you can paint the inside rim without having to worry.  when your done, take some tweezers and remove the tape.     

the S head is a pain.  i actually had to break the nub that holds the visor in place in order to paint it.  i used a break away blade(a box cutter) and pushed it straight down(do not saw at it otherwise you'll damage the head) going along the top of the visor.  it takes a little force to cut through the nub but it comes out clean, atleast it did on mine.  then shake the head til the nub falls out, paint it, then glued the visor back into place.

AFAIK, theres no other way that i know of to take apart the S or J heads without having to damage or break them.

414150[/snapback]

this is all very scary. :ph34r:

Thanks for the info haterist. :)

Believe me, this doesn't sound as scary as having to box-cutter your way through the tabs on a strike cannon. Luckily I have this super-duper 100 thousand-in-one exacto-rama kit, so I could select the right tool for the job. I still got heart palpatations cutting that sucker, though.

Damn man, I don't think I have the balls to do that. Good for you. Now try it with a s head. :lol:  :rolleyes:

414279[/snapback]

Sorry can't take the pic right now, I 've got the "A", "J", and "S" head sitting in mold as we speak.

Click into my sig for more details. ;)

Here is the VF-1J, there are two parts I forgot to take a pic of.

414275[/snapback]

Looks like that poor head had to endure a little pain to get where it's at. *winces* But hey, if it's in the name of a recast then it was worth the sacrifice.