Dam You Macross 7 Dam You #$%#$^#$&^$%&

deadghost

Keith, is it just me, or does your av have Basara flipping people off?

No, but that would be funny. You'll notice in this larger version, you can see his index finger raised nearly the same amount, negating it as flipping anybody off

post-278-1154760403_thumb.jpg

And Milia's VF-22 pops up in 2 more episodes, "Fleet of the Strongest Women," & "Which One Do You Love?' Assumedly, she & Max got them after the Lux incident.

Okay, so does anyone want to contest my belief that "My Friends" is the best damn song of Macross 7? I like it so much, I've been listening to it in my car.

422679[/snapback]

as weird as it may sound, I'll contest it. I like "Holy Lonely Night", "Dynamite Fire", and "Never Say Die" much better.

I personally find all of them very nice, though my favorites would have to be either Remember 16, Holy Lonely Night, or Angel Voice. Still, My Friends does occasionally get its "random song want to listen to" urge.

Edited by Torii

Keith, is it just me, or does your av have Basara flipping people off?

422436[/snapback]

Japanese have different concepts of unacceptable body language. As the image used in the avatar is a Haruhiku Mikimoto original, I don't think North American body language should be read into it.

422479[/snapback]

yup, the middle finger is used in the same context in asia (at least korea and japan) as the index finger is used in the United States.

Hmm...those songs you all named don't sound familiar. I have the 2002 song collection and it doesn't have all those. Maybe I haven't watched enough M7 yet to have heard them. I guess that means I need to wait before declaring one song best!

I still want a copy of the version of 'New Frontier' that appears in Dynamite 7. That version being by far on of my favourite Fire Bomber songs. The only version I've heard off an album isn't nearly as good, as it lacks that excellent lead-in.

I don't recall seeing Max's VF-1J ever. As I recall the DYRL-esque sequence only ever showed Basara's VF-19---which is AFAIK the only time we've seen a VF-19 with its wings swept back to the intermediate position. (Which looks pretty cool, but is impossible to do in a transforming toy)

There are some quick shots of Max's VF-1S in the "extra" DYRL scenes shown in 7. I love how Kawamori took the opportunity to animate some of the scenes that were cut from the film, and insert them into the episode prologues.

Minmei Video does have a quick shot of a fight Max & Milia had in the film, prior to the Macross reaching Earth (when Max was lead of the Skull in Roy & Hikaru's absence).

There's also a nice scene shown in a later episode where Hikaru, Max, & Kakizaki (in Valkyries) are attending the actual treaty signing between Global & Britai.

As for favorite song, definately a tie somehwere between Holy Lonely Light, Power to the Dream, Totsugeki Love Heart, Sweet Fantasy, Wild Life, & Starlight Dream....it's hard to pick...

Well, technically, couldn't you say Max's VF-1 got like, insignificant amounts of screentime with the Minmay Story thing?

It is a possibility that his VF-1 was placed in some sort of war museum back on Earth, thus not available for purchase.

Minmei Video does have a quick shot of a fight Max & Milia had in the film, prior to the Macross reaching Earth (when Max was lead of the Skull in Roy & Hikaru's absence).

There's also a nice scene shown in a later episode where Hikaru, Max, & Kakizaki (in Valkyries) are attending the actual treaty signing between Global & Britai.

Of course those scene don't fit in to the actual movie without some continunity issue. There are two versions of "DYRL?" the one we saw and the ones the characters saw in Macross 7.

Well, technically, couldn't you say Max's VF-1 got like, insignificant amounts of screentime with the Minmay Story thing?

It is a possibility that his VF-1 was placed in some sort of war museum back on Earth, thus not available for purchase.

423022[/snapback]

Wouldn't Millia's be more historically signifigant, as she was the first alien in UN Spacy?

And she was a civilian, to boot.

I figure if she got to keep her's(and keep it ARMED, no less), Max definitely kept his.

Policy for Space War veterans seems to be that your mech is one of the perks of the job. I don't even want to THINK about why they continue to supply ammo, though.

He could've sold it to pay for his girls' college tuition or something, but I'd think a book/movie deal would probably be easier.

Sure everyone and their uncle had Space War memoirs, but Max and Millia had by far the most interesting ones("Chapter 4: Arcades, Death Duels, and Marriage Proposals").

I think Max may have upgraded his - something to do with him still being in the military.

Millia, on the other hand, was civilian, but as the mayor, she probably 'abused' her position to keep a fresh supply of ammo at the ready.

Of course, it may be standard operating proceedure in the UN, what with the converted-for-construction use Destroids also having ammo at the ready. Maybe it has something to do with civil defense or the last line of defense when the colony (fleet) is attacked?

Of course those scene don't fit in to the actual movie without some continunity issue. There are two versions of "DYRL?" the one we saw and the ones the characters saw in Macross 7.

Actually, the only one that doesn't fit is the one of Hikaru & Misa kissing in Britai's ship. All the rest would fit quite nicely, though there'd obviously have to be more animation to feed them in with.

A battle between Max & Milia in space would fit during the period Misa & Hikaru were on Earth. And their wedding could fit somewhere durring the preparations to take on the Bodolza fleet, perhaps a bit before their launch.

As for Milia she only became mayor within a couple years of the start of 7. Before that she was still Military, and was Gamlin's flight instructer. If you haven't already, check out the "Top Gamlin" short, as aside from showing the above, it's the only place to catch her custom VF-11. She only decided to leave the military & become mayor because she didn't want to be "ranked" lower than Max in the fleet. As mayor of City 7, she was the head of the civilian populace, and (in her eyes at least), held an equal rank to Max.

Milia's VF-1 obviously had the 1X-Plus upgrades, unlike the other civillian/ex-military VF-1's in the city. I don't think Max would have been so nostalgic about keeping his though, he seems more like the "trade up to bigger & better technology" kinda guy. He did afterall opt for a new VF-22. Of course when Milia found out, he had to get her one too :)

Dynamite showed a pretty well stocked black market for weapons, so it's not too far out of a notion to believe that those Monster pilots who wanted to keep it pristine could have gotten a hold of some live ammo.

I'm up to episode 24! I can't believe I'm only half-way through this show.

Dudes...Sivil is effin' hot. I love how they animate her face when she's, er, "enraptured."

M7 made me remember tonight, for the first time in ages, why I love anime. During the scene where Basara is singing at Sivil, and his song is sending out Spiritia waves, Sivil pushes through them, and they finally kiss. The energy released blows out Basara's glasses and knocks his Valkyrie over. That's almost Dragonball sh*t right there! Maybe it's just the way anime was in the early nineties -- they threw everything in. Spirit-energy reactions, space demons, whatever -- it's all good.

I finally heard Holey Lonely Night. I love the scream at the beginning. Still, it's nowhere near as good as My Friends or Sweet Fantasy.

Hey, did Guld make a cameo in Macross 7? I could have sworn he was the pissed Zentraedi that got out of the truck after Sivil invaded City 7.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I just heard from a trusted friend that the Japanese liked M7 much better than M+. Crazy, huh?

Edited by danth

Hey, did Guld make a cameo in Macross 7? I could have sworn he was the pissed Zentraedi that got out of the truck after Sivil invaded City 7.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I just heard from a trusted friend that the Japanese liked M7 much better than M+. Crazy, huh?

423258[/snapback]

No. Guld did not appear.

It's not surprising if M7 was well received since it was on broadcast TV compared to being sold as an OAV. Unfortunately, I have no sales data to compare the 2 series.

I don't think Max would have been so nostalgic about keeping his though, he seems more like the "trade up to bigger & better technology" kinda guy. He did afterall opt for a new VF-22. Of course when Milia found out, he had to get her one too :)

Which lends itself to my notion it could be in a war museum. Max wouldn't care about what happened to it as he'd have the newest Spacy toy to play with.

Millia could have been a bit more nostalgic and opted to keep hers. That isn't to say a replica wouldn't be on display at some museum somewhere, most likely next to Max's old VF-1.

Not really, I suspect not many Japanese adults would admit to watching much anime as it is looked down on in society because of the Otaku Killer. However I hear that such notions are waning as the years pass.

So you are left with kids who would enthusiastically support a show directed to their demographic. Let's face it Mac 7 is a very good kids show... :)

Wasn't there something in the dialog (during Hayao last flight) when Hikaru is saying how the women are more dangerous but Max and Hayao pretty much laugh it off. In DYRL only Hikaru saw that the women were capable of. When Max does fight her he seems to be a bit surprized. His reactions is that someone who meet her before.

For the peace treaty to happen Max would of have to shink back down to size and get a customize VF-1S made. That would have taken some time. He was already a giant and would have assisted in negotations.

Who's to say his VF-1S was completely totalled. May have only needed repairs, something that'd be pretty high priority consideirng his rank. As for being Macronized/Micronized, who's to say he wasn't Macronized after the treaty, & before the wedding. A bit of a stretch yes, since he wasn't actually "seen" there during the ceramonies, or anywhere else until the final battle...but hey, why not.

And lastly, perhaps Milia didn't come at him with that fury until that particular fight. It's not unreasonable to think that the Metlran would have had ample opportunity to attack the Macross during the Month between Hikaru & Misa's being captured, and then being found on Earth.

Not really, I suspect not many Japanese adults would admit to watching much anime as it is looked down on in society because of the Otaku Killer. However I hear that such notions are waning as the years pass.

So you are left with kids who would enthusiastically support a show directed to their demographic. Let's face it Mac 7 is a very good kids show... :)

423272[/snapback]

Psst, 9 & 1/2 anime series are directed at kids, the original Macross series was, and your implication would seem to imply Macross 7 is somehow different in that nature, which it is not.

423272[/snapback]

I love how you keep saying it, yet when confronted you just put your fingers in your ears and say "nanannananananan I don't hear you, its my opinion so I'm not going to argue it" If you're going to state something that is highly contestable over and over again, have the balls to back it up, because its pretty clear as keith pointed out, its no different from ANY other anime of its generation.

Edited by Noyhauser