Dam You Macross 7 Dam You #$%#$^#$&^$%&

deadghost

I would would say that the passion behind the singing is the spiritua, as well as the passion one feels simply listening to music. Being around people creating that energy also stimulates people to create more on their own.

I don't know that "sonic energy" is a correct term, as it's not the sound itself that creates the energy, but the feeling behind it.

I also don't know that "certain individuals" only have the ability to create the energy that Basara and Mylene are able to, it's more of a state of mind thing. There is nothing that seperates Basara or Mylene from anyone else in regards to this ability aside from ideals, beliefs, and pure will.

As shown right towards the end of the show itself, anyone can do it.

There is a difference between accepting impractical technology used in an anime and accepting a down right stupid story line.

For example, let's say they cast Saving Private Ryan with laser rifles instead of M1 Garands. Stupid but it still has a good story to it. Now what if they made it "Saving Private Ryan's Canteen" where they wade through German forces to find a canteen that fell off Ryan's webbing during his air drop. Yeah, that would be pretty lame. What if you had a mixture of both? You'd have Macross 7.

414736[/snapback]

Your example is not equivalent to the situation you initially describe.

And its certainly not as impractical as you make out... its no less impractical than warp drives (given our current knowledge of astrophysics), and CERTAINLY no less believable than "newtype energy" that is introduced in UC Gundam.

IT never was said that what was emitted by Sound boosters was "sound" travelling through space, rather it was some sort of energy that could resonate sound. The Protodevilin series was always about the protoculture tapping into some sort of newly discovered energy source eminating from another dimention, that they had limited knowledge of. The protodevilin were essentially bio machines that used this advanced power source.

Also from what we have seen in Macross zero, 7 DYRL, the protoculture's esthetics were highly stylized with an organic, primitive and biomechanical feel to them. The AFOS showed the mechanical aspects of this, and the protodevilin follow this design philosophy.

(Note for LVlurker. I don't care what you have to say, so don't bother giving me some long winded reply on some arcane level of gundam knowledge. You're wasting your time)

414756[/snapback]

You took my point too literally.

Then you don't really have much of a point at all.

You made two points.

#1 Impractical technology

My rebuttal: Its no less impractical than a lot of other mainstream sci-fi, particularly gundam. And To be perfectly frank, I cringed watching the VF-0 Diving into the water... so I'm not oblivious to these things.

#2 Stupid story.

My rebuttal: Thats really a subjective comment... but you haven't even responded to my earlier comments and see fit to ignore them, which leads me to believe you really don't want to consider other opinions, and rather come here and bash it. I don't think Mac-7 is the be all and end all of Anime (far from it), but I think you're treating it unfairly though given what the story is about. Its clear that its themes are basically the same ones that are found in SDF macross... I think it has execution problems, but its certainly not god awful (especially when the story picks up).

(and I'm not a fan of the kiddie pablum of Mac 7)

3 years into this argument, and I have yet to see one clear argument that puts macross 7 in the "kiddie" category. Young teen, more like it (which is the demographic almost every major anime series is aimed towards)

Edited by Noyhauser

You made two points.

My rebuttal: Its no less impractical than a lot of other mainstream sci-fi, particularly gundam. And  To be perfectly frank, I cringed watching the VF-0 Diving into the water... so I'm not oblivious to these things.

#2 Stupid story.

My rebuttal: Thats really a subjective comment... but you haven't even responded to my earlier comments and see fit to ignore them, which leads me to believe you really don't want to consider other opinions, and rather come here and bash it. I don't think Mac-7 is the be all and end all of Anime (far from it), but I think you're treating it unfairly though given what the story is about. Its clear that its themes are basically the same ones that are found in SDF macross... I think it has execution problems, but its certainly not god awful (especially when the story picks up).

3 years into this argument, and I have yet to see one clear argument that puts macross 7 in the "kiddie" category. Young teen, more like it (which is the demographic almost every major anime series is aimed towards)

414853[/snapback]

Yeah Macross 7 had a little too much "racy" stuff to be considered for little kids. Like shooting the camera at Mylenes panties. 'Course, other than that... it's a bit pre-pubescent at times. Sometimes it's just outright hilarious, and this is uninentional.

Disclaimer: To all ye citizens of Macross world, note that I do own three toy valks from this series. They are cheap plastic, and I believe imitations of the Bandai toys. I bought them before watching the series and have given them to my boy. I also own the series Macross 7. I have yet to finish it. But I did spend money acquiring it. Thus, don't classify me as a 100% Mac 7 hater. (75%)

Yeah Macross 7 had a little too much "racy" stuff to be considered for little kids. Like shooting the camera at Mylenes panties. 'Course, other than that... it's a bit pre-pubescent at times. Sometimes it's just outright hilarious, and this is uninentional.

Disclaimer: To all ye citizens of Macross world, note that I do own three toy valks from this series. They are cheap plastic, and I believe imitations of the Bandai toys. I bought them before watching the series and have given them to my boy. I also own the series Macross 7. I have yet to finish it. But I did spend money acquiring it. Thus, don't classify me as a 100% Mac 7 hater. (75%)

414856[/snapback]

So did SDF Macross... maybe even moreso. And from what I seen the toys are terrible, but some of the models, and specifically resin stuff are amazing. The Tect kits, and Wave vinyls, are some of my favorite kits out there.

414856[/snapback]

So did SDF Macross... maybe even moreso. And from what I seen the toys are terrible, but some of the models, and specifically resin stuff are amazing. The Tect kits, and Wave vinyls, are some of my favorite kits out there.

414864[/snapback]

I'm not sure if SDF Macross was aimed at kids though? Hell that's a good question, for me anyway. Robotech sure was. What about over in Japan?

You made two points.

My rebuttal: Its no less impractical than a lot of other mainstream sci-fi, particularly gundam. And  To be perfectly frank, I cringed watching the VF-0 Diving into the water... so I'm not oblivious to these things.

My point about impractical technology was that is can be easily overlooked as long as the other parts of the story are appealing.

#2 Stupid story.

Not so much "stupid" as it was ridiculous which what I found the story to be. I didn't find any of it logical, believable or entertaining. Themes may be the same, but as you stated the execution was off.

I don't know that "sonic energy" is a correct term, as it's not the sound itself that creates the energy, but the feeling behind it.

I use that term because "Sound Force" makes about as little sense as "Sonic Force" and I don't like the Mac 7 term.. :rolleyes:

I also don't know that "certain individuals" only have the ability to create the energy that Basara and Mylene are able to, it's more of a state of mind thing. There is nothing that seperates Basara or Mylene from anyone else in regards to this ability aside from ideals, beliefs, and pure will.

Actually we do. It is mentioned in the series that the PC's gathered as many of the Anima Spiritia people as they could to combat and ultimately imprison the PD. It is implied that this is not a common ability.

It is also reinforced by how the Jamming Birds so utterly failed to do what Fire Bomber could. I'm sure they all sang their hearts outs, but were unable to muster the pure passion required to generate "Spiritia Force" (for want of a better term).

As shown right towards the end of the show itself, anyone can do it.

It is shown that in large amounts it can work and that the PD are able to produce the effect naturally for themselves.

OK, not being one who needs to dive into the minutia of semantics, my term of "kiddie" applies to teenie boppers and younger....

The show was aimed toward a fairly young audience and as such, it worked, but I don't feel any need to justify my "preferences", as they are all subjective.

Dispite the premise and the battloid Battle 7 that made my eyes roll back into my head, I did in fact enjoy the character interactions. I eventually came to appreciate the singing abilities of Fukuyama Yoshiki and Chie Kajiura (they are quite good as singers even outside of the series).

Now any series that puts Max back behind the stick, can't be a total write off... ;)

My point about impractical technology was that is can be easily overlooked as long as the other parts of the story are appealing.

Not really. Even if you have a good story, some people just CAN'T accept that RahXephon reset the world with an egg as the visualization. Seriously. >_>

Not so much "stupid" as it was ridiculous which what I found the story to be. I didn't find any of it logical, believable or entertaining. Themes may be the same, but as you stated the execution was off.

Logic... Giant robots were impractical in the first place. And actually, the idea of music having an effect on people is applied IRL as well. Music Therapy. Ever hear of it? Probably not. And for the record, giant humans might not even be able to stand up with that sort of structure. *points at old movies with oversized insects* They couldn't stand if you blowed them up to those dimensions.

Believable... Since when were giant robots that can transform, ships that Fold large distances, and one girl having a concert in the middle of a fight and not told to shut up believable? The fact that you didn't puke when seeing the VF-0S transform to Battroid Mode in Macross Zero surprises me. If I was going by common "logic", I'd think that those legs would've fallen off, with a joint that thin.

Entertaining... Well, I don't know about you, but I found it rather entertaining. Music is a fun thing, and I like music a lot. If you want to talk about plot... Well, different people like different things. I didn't go in expecting to see something based off of a predecessor plot. I just went in hoping to see a good series, and seriously, I found it to be as such. If you didn't... Well, not every series is for everyone. At first, I got a migraine at the kiddieness of ZZ Gundam's beginning, but really, by the end of the series, it turned out fine. But I end up liking a lot of the series I watch. Only ones I were upset with were Gundam SEED Destiny.(YES, I found Gundam Wing to be enjoyable, and no, I don't like the idea of Duo boning Heero. =_=; Favorite series is GaoGaiGar FINAL.)

Battle 7 Transforming = Win. Needed more rocket punches though. Would've loved to see them Protodevlin going "WTF?" as a flight deck shot into one of their ships.

Edited by Torii

Actually we do. It is mentioned in the series that the PC's gathered as many of the Anima Spiritia people as they could to combat and ultimately imprison the PD. It is implied that this is not a common ability.

It is also reinforced by how the Jamming Birds so utterly failed to do what Fire Bomber could. I'm sure they all sang their hearts outs, but were unable to muster the pure passion required to generate "Spiritia Force" (for want of a better term).

It's probably a matter of degree.

We DO see literally everyone on the M7 fleet is capable of whatever Basara does in the series finale. Starting with Veffidas, who was closer to Basara's mindset in the first place(though it begs the question of why they bothered outfitting him and Ray with a sound booster if they didn't think he was capable of using it).

Apparently the impending death of the universe provides suitable inspiration.

Basara himself, of course, rises even further above normal.

Not really. Even if you have a good story, some people just CAN'T accept that RahXephon reset the world with an egg as the visualization. Seriously. >_>

Never watched it but that also falls in the realm of story line

Logic... Giant robots were impractical in the first place. And actually, the idea of music having an effect on people is applied IRL as well. Music Therapy. Ever hear of it? Probably not. And for the record, giant humans might not even be able to stand up with that sort of structure. *points at old movies with oversized insects* They couldn't stand if you blowed them up to those dimensions.

While I do agree that giant robots are for the most part impractical it does fall into the realm of believability as one could actually build a giant robot even today.

Believable... Since when were giant robots that can transform, ships that Fold large distances, and one girl having a concert in the middle of a fight and not told to shut up believable? The fact that you didn't puke when seeing the VF-0S transform to Battroid Mode in Macross Zero surprises me. If I was going by common "logic", I'd think that those legs would've fallen off, with a joint that thin.

I've made arguments against battroid mode having no real purpose in Macross although the other two modes do. I was never arguing that this was believable to begin with however it is definitely possible to build such a device even if it wasn't useful. Folding technology has some real-world theory and this of that nature are beyond what I know to provide any real counter-points to it so thus I just accept that they have the ability to do so. Fighting a war with music doesn't seem that likely to me, even for the first space war however in SDF Macross they way the creator executed it wasn't as far out there as it was in Macross 7. There is a big difference in sending "culture" through the communication lines on a ship, especially when you have members of the opposing side helping you do it, and flying around in a fighter jet using a guitar as the controls, rocking out to an enemy that you don't even know is listening or if they are even effected by it, to stop a war. In other words, Macross 7 went too far.

Entertaining... Well, I don't know about you, but I found it rather entertaining. Music is a fun thing, and I like music a lot. If you want to talk about plot... Well, different people like different things. I didn't go in expecting to see something based off of a predecessor plot. I just went in hoping to see a good series, and seriously, I found it to be as such. If you didn't... Well, not every series is for everyone. At first, I got a migraine at the kiddieness of ZZ Gundam's beginning, but really, by the end of the series, it turned out fine. But I end up liking a lot of the series I watch. Only ones I were upset with were Gundam SEED Destiny.(YES, I found Gundam Wing to be enjoyable, and no, I don't like the idea of Duo boning Heero. =_=; Favorite series is GaoGaiGar FINAL.)

Battle 7 Transforming = Win. Needed more rocket punches though. Would've loved to see them Protodevlin going "WTF?" as a flight deck shot into one of their ships.

414903[/snapback]

Edited by Mephistopheles

wasn't veffidas a chick?

414923[/snapback]

Yep... :blink:

I don't understand why any of them got "sound boosters" :blink: Considering sound barely travels in space....

If they all got speaker pod gun pods, that would be different.

However, the kids never questioned it, so the target audience was satisfied.. :rolleyes:

wasn't veffidas a chick?

414923[/snapback]

I don't understand why any of them got "sound boosters" :blink: Considering sound barely travels in space....

414948[/snapback]

Who ever said they emitted sound?

IT never was said that what was emitted by Sound boosters was "sound" travelling through space, rather it was some sort of energy that could resonate sound. The Protodevilin ...

It's not the first time something has been labeled strangely. Consider the "mouse" you are using to move that little cursor on your screen... Doesn't look like (modern computer mice) or act like a rodent does it? Mine's has a bright red light on the bottom. Surely rodents don't come with that now do they? But hey, we still call it a "mouse".

wasn't veffidas a chick?

414923[/snapback]

A very butch chick. But yeah, I screwed up.

I don't understand why any of them got "sound boosters"  :blink:  Considering sound barely travels in space....

If they all got speaker pod gun pods, that would be different. 

However, the kids never questioned it, so the target audience was satisfied.. :rolleyes:

414948[/snapback]

Sound energy != actual sound. This is a basic point, and I'm surprised that self-proclaimed adults didn't catch it, especially given the various other non-sonic properties demonstrated by sound energy, such as luminosity.

The primary purpose of the sound boosters was to focus and amplify the sound energy, which was Chiba's term for what the protodeviln called anima spiritia. Not actual sound.

There WERE speakers on the sound boosters(and integrated into the Sound Force VFs), but they were only used in atmosphere.

Edited by JB0

There WERE speakers on the sound boosters(and integrated into the Sound Force VFs), but they were only used in atmosphere.

So how often did they battle the PD in an atmosphere compared to space?

As for the mouse argument, well I have speakers that look like speakers and they produce sound, not luminosity or Anima Spiritia... B))

The fact that the series tended to have the PD army actually hearing the music whether they had a speaker pod imbedded in their ship or not, is what tends to blur the common sense aspect of the series.

However, I fully appreciate the fact that the target audience didn't care about the "credibility" of the tech, but enjoyed the show as it was.

They didn't spend half as much time thinking about such matters as some people do typing up defenses to questionable artistic licenses the production team took with an early adolescent targeted program...

Edited by Zinjo

Very rarely.

Basara uses it mainly against fighter pilots, as they DO show up often in atmosphere.

The fact that the series tended to have the PD army actually hearing the music whether they had a speaker pod imbedded in their ship or not, is what tends to blur the common sense aspect of the series.

Maybe the speaker pod hijacks the radio of the ship it hits?

*really reaching*

I thought Basara basically blasted his music on all channels he could, and the speaker pods were to force people to listen even if they switched off communications except for protected channels.

As for the mouse argument, well I have speakers that look like speakers and they produce sound, not luminosity or Anima Spiritia... B))

However, I fully appreciate the fact that the target audience didn't care about the "credibility" of the tech, but enjoyed the show as it was.

They didn't spend half as much time thinking about such matters as some people do typing up defenses to questionable artistic licenses the production team took with an early adolescent targeted program...

415021[/snapback]

I find it ironic that you can't grasp a basic concept that "sound energy/anima spiritia" is different from "sound." Its is clearly stated in the series (its introduced in the episode where the spirita backpack is given to Basara by Doctor Chiba). It was clearly stated in the series, and everything in the series (the creation of elaborate sound beams and fields, as well as making the macross cannon a HUGE sound booster shows that this is purely physical sound energy. I don't disagree there was some beliavabilit and artistic licence taken with "Sound energy"... like when we see it protect Gamlin from an energy attack from a PD. but its definately not "physical sound." Ignore that all you want, because its pretty conclusive that "sound energy" is something different alltogether than sound, and was coherently stated throught the whole series as such.

Also, I put down the fact that Vartua pilots hear the music to two things. First I'd say that some of the sound can be attributed to bad sound editing in production (not the first time its happened). Other times its clear that they cannot hear the broadcasts. Think of the episode where they use speaker pod Gamma vs the mother ship. The sound usually cuts off with scenes inside vartua ships, which makes it pretty clear that the Vartua have machines that prevent them from hearing sound broadcasts. Exposure to music (like when they infiltrate City 7) often caused them to lose control (usually described as Abnormal C Chord error, or something like that).

Edited by Noyhauser

I find it ironic that you can't grasp a basic concept that "sound energy/anima spiritia" as per what is clearly stated in the series (when the Sound boosters are first used by Dr. Chiba) as being something different than physical sound energy (what we hear). If you want to ignore it, fine but I'm going to call you on it.

You may call me on it all you like, the truth of the matter is, that I really don't care that much about it to want to learn the minutia. Anima Spiritia is some magic power similar to the RT magic battery... It's all good for those who enjoy it, I am not one of those people. I liked different parts of the show, not that.

The show was for "kids" and it catered to that demographic very well. I doubt any of them are here on these boards arguing the credibility of the ideas as much as you and others....

I have come around to accepting the fact that it isn't a total write off as a series, but it took Macross in directions I didn't particularly care for and I am entitled to my preferences.

Hell, I never thought I'd groove to a show about surfing mecha, but there's "Eureka 7" and I love it, so go figure! :rolleyes:

They could have taken the Macross 7 series in so many less fantastical directions, but that wouldn't showcase any of the singing talent they hired and a typically serious Macross story would have bored the target audience they were shooting for.

So I appreciate the parts that I like and accept the show for what it is. It isn't a serious bit of drama, but a light hearted space show with giant space monsters and very good vocalists.

I'm sorry if my reduction of the show to a simplistic description bothers you, but that is my opinion and I have yet to have any Otaku Kawamori minions or Mac 7 minions change my mind so far.

It is doubtful they ever will. As a total series of work, it just aint my cup of tea, I just liked several parts... ;)

Very rarely.

Basara uses it mainly against fighter pilots, as they DO show up often in atmosphere.

Maybe the speaker pod hijacks the radio of the ship it hits?

*really reaching*

415040[/snapback]

Macross 7 should give everyone some good exercise.

Let's get this straight, since it has been a while since I watched Macross 7 and I don't have the series anymore to go check, all living things have this vast amount of energy hidden within them. It has to be vast in order to be practical to put forth the effort to harvest. This energy sits around inside of our bodies and contributes nothing as, for some strange reason, our body doesn't use this energy. If we sing and become emotional while doing so then this energy source gets bigger ... from our brain's chemical secretations?

Let's get this straight, since it has been a while since I watched Macross 7 and I don't have the series anymore to go check, all living things have this vast amount of energy hidden within them. It has to be vast in order to be practical to put forth the effort to harvest. This energy sits around inside of our bodies and contributes nothing as, for some strange reason, our body doesn't use this energy. If we sing and become emotional while doing so then this energy source gets bigger ... from our brain's chemical secretations?

415165[/snapback]

I seem to remember that spiritia tended to spike in times of emotional distress as well. (Hence whey if you watch the little spiritia meters the varuta have they creep up during the combat scenes) Whenever one gets emotional or takes part in an act that has emotional significance to them the spiritia levels rise.

Also this energy seems to be in use passively since having it removed turns the subject into a vegetable (at least temporarily).

It is never stated that this is due to chemical secretions. However since the harvester beam thing only seems to work when it strikes the head that could be how it works.

415165[/snapback]

I seem to remember that spiritia tended to spike in times of emotional distress as well. (Hence whey if you watch the little spiritia meters the varuta have they creep up during the combat scenes) Whenever one gets emotional or takes part in an act that has emotional significance to them the spiritia levels rise.

Also this energy seems to be in use passively since having it removed turns the subject into a vegetable (at least temporarily).

It is never stated that this is due to chemical secretions. However since the harvester beam thing only seems to work when it strikes the head that could be how it works.

415168[/snapback]

Your emotions are pretty much chemical secretations in your brain and since your spiritia level corresponds with the intensity of your emotional state...

415021[/snapback]

I find it ironic that you can't grasp a basic concept that "sound energy/anima spiritia" is different from "sound." Its is clearly stated in the series (its introduced in the episode where the spirita backpack is given to Basara by Doctor Chiba). It was clearly stated in the series, and everything in the series (the creation of elaborate sound beams and fields, as well as making the macross cannon a HUGE sound booster shows that this is purely physical sound energy. I don't disagree there was some beliavabilit and artistic licence taken with "Sound energy"... like when we see it protect Gamlin from an energy attack from a PD. but its definately not "physical sound." Ignore that all you want, because its pretty conclusive that "sound energy" is something different alltogether than sound, and was coherently stated throught the whole series as such.

Also, I put down the fact that Vartua pilots hear the music to two things. First I'd say that some of the sound can be attributed to bad sound editing in production (not the first time its happened). Other times its clear that they cannot hear the broadcasts. Think of the episode where they use speaker pod Gamma vs the mother ship. The sound usually cuts off with scenes inside vartua ships, which makes it pretty clear that the Vartua have machines that prevent them from hearing sound broadcasts. Exposure to music (like when they infiltrate City 7) often caused them to lose control (usually described as Abnormal C Chord error, or something like that).

415078[/snapback]

I think your both right and wrong. Sound energy is differnt from "Song energy" (thinking small but a huge translation error in that dept)

anyways song energy is what you mac7 lovers call spirtia from the hamonic combination of spirit of the singer and the melody of the base or what ever mumbo jumbo.

sound energy is just that sound waves to transfer Song energy.

Again, it's not strictly a physical thing.

It seems to be more along the lines of life energy, or something.

Maybe the protodeviln should've just done acupuncture for lunch?

415177[/snapback]

Life energy? Life energy for a human is the process of breaking down food. Humans are pretty much an internal combustion machine.

415177[/snapback]

Life energy? Life energy for a human is the process of breaking down food. Humans are pretty much an internal combustion machine.

415199[/snapback]

Wasn't the acupuncture comment enough?

Do I REALLY have to guide you every step of the way?

415177[/snapback]

415199[/snapback]

OK, OK, then WTF creates the magical auras that deflect macross canon blasts and all manner of conventional weaponry??? :blink:

Are you saying it's chemical secretions from the brain??? :unsure::blink:

415177[/snapback]

415199[/snapback]

Your mind must reach beyond the physical, grasshopper. Macross 7 contends we are more than just the sum of our parts, and the energy of life is more than just the chemical decomposition of food. Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.

I think Spiritia is kind of like pressure from your colon that an alien race has found a way to utilize as a gas once released. It's just that human colons produce more gas than any other species the protodevilin have encountered, so they're after our colons and Basara realizes that if he keeps trying he can create enough gas to satisfy the aliens, and even human beings once they realize that colons bring us together and create harmony.

- Some might say musicians like Basara have overproductive colons.

Edited by GutsAndCasca