1/55 Mods - Let's list them all here...

Skull-1

• 2 weeks later...

i got the chance to build the super O recast parts with my joon 1/55 valk...but over the years paint chips started to show, wanted to re-color it again, but not enough time to do it....oh well paint chips can be weathered effect also :rolleyes:

BTW im looking for a joke machine recast.... :blink:

@takatoys,

your pictures are drool worthy.

really old school DIY masterpiece.

im also fan of their work, this image that i got from the net five or more years ago was the awakening of my macross addiction.

13triodd5.jpg

14group1fn7.jpg

16group3gt4.jpg

thumbs up to them.

Hey, those are my photos! :)

The Max and Millia were commissions I ordered from Jung. The Millia signed by Kawamori was originally meant to be mine. When I met up with Jung at the 2002 MW Convention in LA to pick up the completed custom, his words were "Change of plans. I had Kawamori sign your valk at Comic-Con, so I'm going to have to make you a new one." I'm paraphrasing, of course haha.

Mods included:

Rob Beers VF-1J head

Erick Mabrich custom nosecone.

Heavy modification to get the male DYRL pilot into the Millia TV pilot

Chris Baretta heatshield

Robert Fuchs custom poseable hips, ankles and feet

1/100 Sazabi hands

Custom gunpod, with gatling tip and adjustable gunstrap. Gunstrap is from a 1/6 Gi-joe, webbed not elastic!

Max followed after Millia, with the same mods as above.

The VF-1D was also a Jung custom, but as an earlier custom, it didn't have the weathered paint that Jung started with the Max and Millia.

These 3 were sold ages ago.

However, the DYRL VF-1S trio's still available for sale if anyone's interested. =) These guys are also Jung customs, but very very early on. Fixed Battroid mode. I acquired them from Jerry Tsai (vf1x) so so long ago. Anyway, for anyone who remembers, they represent a bit of MW history!

Edited by emerson

• 3 weeks later...

I have been wanting re-issues of them since I first laid eyes on them...what? 20 years ago now?

Here's to hope. These are some of the most sought after Valks ever.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have these particular valks re-issued. But if it happens, I do hope we get the HIKARU 1S variant w/ Strike pack.

• 1 year later...

The forum is too seperated. The threads moved faster when everyone could enjoy both models and toys. Now you're either one or the other and the build ups don't get much attention either. Because that's on a whole other section.

Anyway, I have a bunch of these parts. Phatslappy moved and gave me all his rob beers, chris berretta parts and old jetfire parts. I can make Ostriches and Elints for free. lol. But I'm not sure what to do with those things.

The forum is too seperated. The threads moved faster when everyone could enjoy both models and toys. Now you're either one or the other and the build ups don't get much attention either. Because that's on a whole other section. Anyway, I have a bunch of these parts. Phatslappy moved and gave me all his rob beers, chris berretta parts and old jetfire parts. I can make Ostriches and Elints for free. lol. But I'm not sure what to do with those things.

We joined this forum 7 days apart, you have 15,524 posts compared to my 1,169 posts.....holy crap. So you remember what it was like in the old days too. I remember when custom 1/55s were the rage, back with a mint, in-box Hiarku Strike would fetch $400. Back in the day, if someone scratch build and produced a resin 1/24 like the one by mslz22 (which I happen to have by haven't touched yet), every member would be on it like flies on poo. Then there would be build-up threads like there's no tomorrow. The kit came out and not a single build up thread. The Hasegawa 1/48s got almost no attention as well. I'm kind of sad to see it going this way. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Also, I guess you have a point about the forum being too seperated.

I'm glad that I am not the only person who thinks like that. Time was when I could spend at least an hour a night on this site now I just spend that a week.

Its not that the content is any less interesting it is just that you have to really look for it.

I also used to get loads of reminders to let me know when old threads were posted too. Now some reminders still come (like this one) and some do not even if I re-post to it and chose to have the forum mail me, others like the StarTrek one mail me every-time there is a post so I get 5 a day. checked the settings and everything is correct so go figure. This is not a rant by the way. I love this site and it is the only source for Macross news AFAIK , and unless actual 50 foot green aliens turn up or NATO produce transforming aircraft it always will be.

I still have all my 1/55's and all the add on bits in storage ready for that day I get time to do something. I even bought boot legs as a source of parts and something to give as of yet un born/hatched children to play with.

1/55 rock and will always have a special place in my heart.

Edited by big F

I hear you big F....my collection is still mainly 1/55's, but I am now building my 1/60 V2 collection too. Part of me wants to sell the chunky monkeys......but I just can't part with them. I do still want to buy more 1/55's, since my collection is not complete.....but my funds don't allow me to. One day......one day....

I too have a lot of 1/55's with extras that I would mod but I never got around to it. With the 1/48's and V2 1/60's coming out I don't need to mod my old 1/55's so I have about 5 extra valks sitting in the closet taking space. I would one day like to mod them since I still love 1/55's also.

these modifications are great. im new to macross toys and even as someone thats not affected by nostalgia, i think the 1/55 is one of the coolest toys ive seen. i just bought my first one off ebay the other day. a 2002 super vf 1s. I need one of those custom heads though. Do any of you have any vf 1s heads or know where i can get one?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever done a mod to make a more solid fighter mode? after messing around with the toy for the first time, my one complaint is that the fighter mode is kinda floppy and loose. I had an idea of using magnets inside the legs and on the body of the jet. i havent really thought it through completely as i dont normally do this kind of thing.

Edited by brewdonkey1234

Some users put magnets into the fast packs and removed the latching tabs that always get brittle, and look naff, but I am sure that some body did I recall reading about it. As far as the paint is concerned you always get some paint issues with resprays. I tried enameling magnets years ago as the place I worked at had an enameling painter in the paint section, but even then it eventually chips etc.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks big f. Yeah ive decided i dont really want to panel line or weather/shade this because i dont really want to have to clear coat the whole toy. I really like the look of raw plastic. Just curious though, what do you think of the neck? It seems too long to me but i can't tell if thats because im used to seeing the standard head on there.

Edit: further pictures/progress will be posted in the Customs forum.

Edited by brewdonkey1234

I am to blame as much as anyone, I never (yet) have finished my 1/55 ultimate pose figure, but fixing up two houses and getting married, redundancy, new job, redundancy,new job again, fix up house, seems to have taken all my time up.

I still love the 1/55's. Yes the 1/48's and newer 1/60's are awesome but will never surpass the 1/55's for durability. To date only the 1/55 can be truly a toy and a display thing, nothing else has got close.

My 1/55's will get finished. I have the ultimate pose a GBP, a VT1, a Super O and several "normal" fast packed Vf1's with various heads to do, one day it will happen.

• 1 year later...

Is anybody still making 1/55 custom parts? I'd love to get a more-accurate 1A or 1S head, or a 1D head.

I happened across some resin-cast hands not to long ago at HLJ that were the perfect size & design for 1/55 Valks.

I don't think there are any out there now but things do occasionally crop up on eBay.

The whole scene is ripe for some recasts of custom bits.

The custom 1/48 hands are purfect for the 1/55, they were being made and sold on MW a while back.

Edited by big F

• 1 year later...

I feel like I got to the 1/55 custom party about 15 years too late. Oh well, at least I made it now.

Nobody ever replied to Skull Leader's question, but is there someone out there that makes recast parts for 1/55's?

Shapeways seems to carry stuff for 1/60 yams but not much else.

Edited by Mazinger

There were some before and there might still be some around but since the selling of recasted parts (unless it is your own original work and you granted permission to use it) are not allowed here maybe that's why it's been silent.

Best bet is to put out a wanted on the forum and wait for someone to get back to you.

I do have a fair amount of B grade recasts and some custom parts but as yet I'm not sure how many I will "need" to finish off my 1/55 gang.