Fifa World Cup 2006

Oihan

Nobody rooting for Argentina?

412062[/snapback]

You now I am Sebastian :lol:

Although I lived in Germany 3 years and made many friends there, I support my team.

This is what I tell to all my German friends:

"Wier werden die Deutsche Mannschaft raus aus dem Weltmeisterschaft werfen :lol:

Argentinien ist eine große Fußballnation!!!"

OMG, you are right!!!!!  Why???  Why????? :(
There was something funny about that referee from the very beginning.  Notice how he let them play on after Italy dribbled the ball over the edge of the pitch, thus negating Australia a throw-in.  I think it's about time we did away with refs and just let the boys in the editing suite decide the free kicks and penalties. <_<

411647[/snapback]

411650[/snapback]

I'll tell you why. Because in an attempt to be "fair" to the international community, FIFA gathers referees from around the world, including some countries which are unlikely to parttake in the World Cup. They are not professional referees in their home countries as they cannot make a living so. Meanwhile, many European referees who are experienced professionals are bumped out in favour of others from lower-profile countries for the sake of variety: in other words, it is not necessarily the case that the BEST referees in the world are being chosen. In fact, though I think there is no rule on this, the trend is now that only one referee per country is chosen.

So now you have all these inexperienced refs running about. So far, this World Cup is record-breaking in that it's had the most bookings ever. In the Portugal/Netherlands game alone the other day 16 yellow cards and 4 red cards were given out. So far in this tournament, 25 red cards have been brandished in total. The yellow card amount? 291. :o:blink:

anyone wants a yellow card? its free!

lol, the amount of bookings is totally rediculous....esp during the Holland vs Portugal...16? man...there's like 22 players on the field and 16 of them got yellowed?...statistically that's like almost 72% of the players booked.... :lol: this world cup sure is fun to watch unlike the previous ones where portugal didnt perform at their best

porto! porto!

cant wait to see them kick the English asses this weekend!

j/k

aaajin

Edited by aaajin

This blows, non of the teams I was really rooting for made it (Spain, Ukraine, Australia, USA). Oh well, there's always the next World Cup! I hope Portugal takes it all now!

In a very short while, it's Brazil vs France. Brazil FTW!!!

addition: half-time no goals either side, the referee is somewhat nuts. Go Brazil!

Addition: Brazil lost. F***.

Edited by Sumdumgai

I'm all for France, seriously. I had the pleasure of watching Theirry Henry and Patrick Viera play for the Gunners at Highbury (even if I'm not a fan) and they are fantastic players. Also I can't stand Brazil and Argentina personally.... so I'm happy to see them knocked out.

Odd.  What is it?  What is it that seems to give the French some inate ability to illicit the ire and contempt of most of the rest of the civilized world?  :p

Let me think about that one...Nevermind, I give up... :lol:

Odd.  What is it?  What is it that seems to give the French some inate ability to illicit the ire and contempt of most of the rest of the civilized world?  :p

413097[/snapback]

I didn't have a problem with France until living here for a few years and getting to know the French. There's some good people, but the rest you can only chalk up so much to cultural differences and brush off things. :p I mean public advertisements to defend illegal immigration, big public protest rallies pro-illegal immigrants staying without papers, the heavy leaning towards anarchy and rioting... Most people are rude, slam into you and shove you without apologising, or even blaming you when they're at fault.

But, this is my experience in Paris and the Paris region. Supposedly the farther out cities are supposed to be much nicer, and Paris is the butthole capital full of s***heads, where people are naturally born and raised to be buttholes (like seeing a mom teach her kids to protest police presence during a bomb scare).

And I can't stand the chant "allez les bleus", especially with this stupid car commercial they started showing here.

Oh and the sidewalk is covered in dog-mines despite city laws to fine people for letting their dogs crap in the streets because no one cares.

This is just a random list of what makes me not like the French overall, and I haven't even brought up more sesitive subjects or discrimination! :p

The French played very well against Brazil but I am going for Germany. All they need to do to make me happy is to get rid of the Italian (still weeping for my socceroos....)

Brazil out ... Argentina out ... there goes the South American finals.

England is out too. LAmpard have been firing blanks in the World Cup.

None of my teams are up there so now I am neutral. Just enjoy the show.

I didn't have a problem with France until living here for a few years and getting to know the French.  There's some good people, but the rest you can only chalk up so much to cultural differences and brush off things. :p  I mean public advertisements to defend illegal immigration, big public protest rallies pro-illegal immigrants staying without papers, the heavy leaning towards anarchy and rioting...  Most people are rude, slam into you and shove you without apologising,

Hmm, sounds like you could just as easily be describing cities in the US. :huh: Well, except maybe the rioting. We only seem to want to do that sort of thing over serious, meaningful issues.....like NBA championships. <_<

But I think I understand where you're coming from. When I went to Quebec, there was this very strong sense of connection with France and French culture--and a lot of the "French" natives did seem to have a sort of haughty aire about them. But I try to give France the benefit of the doubt. Their culture is regarded as one of the most socially and culturally "mature," is it not? The culture would--at a glance--seem steeped in ideals like social enlightenment, personal liberty, patriotism and such [again, at a glance]. "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" eh?

Wow, what if France ended up facing Germany in the finals? Talk about historic irony, eh? Would finally give the French the chance to "invade" Germany and take the win?

Edited by reddsun1

Wow, what if France ended up facing Germany in the finals?  Talk about historic irony, eh?  Would finally give the French the chance to "invade" Germany and take the win?

Good observation mate!

:)

I didn't have a problem with France until living here for a few years and getting to know the French.  There's some good people, but the rest you can only chalk up so much to cultural differences and brush off things. :p  I mean public advertisements to defend illegal immigration, big public protest rallies pro-illegal immigrants staying without papers, the heavy leaning towards anarchy and rioting...  Most people are rude, slam into you and shove you without apologising,

Hmm, sounds like you could just as easily be describing cities in the US. :huh: Well, except maybe the rioting. We only seem to want to do that sort of thing over serious, meaningful issues.....like NBA championships. <_<

But I think I understand where you're coming from. When I went to Quebec, there was this very strong sense of connection with France and French culture--and a lot of the "French" natives did seem to have a sort of haughty aire about them. But I try to give France the benefit of the doubt. Their culture is regarded as one of the most socially and culturally "mature," is it not? The culture would--at a glance--seem steeped in ideals like social enlightenment, personal liberty, patriotism and such [again, at a glance]. "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" eh?

Wow, what if France ended up facing Germany in the finals? Talk about historic irony, eh? Would finally give the French the chance to "invade" Germany and take the win?

413179[/snapback]

Not gonna happen though. :p Portugal is going to take it all!!!! ^_^