The 2nd Coming of the YF-19

wolfx

The legs don't seem that thick when I look at it from those pics. The body and proportions look right too, and GERWALK looks damn sweet. The legs can go a fair way to bend forwards, methinks they used the design that was on the VF-0.

Edited by kensei

That's all we get, shadowy thumbnail picks? - Still ... looking pretty good.

Anyway DH, about your droopy wings comment, I'm not so sure they are supposed to be bent down. If any vertical dynamics, they should dip down a tad and angle up.

Even the Su-47's wings don't droop - I think that might make it look unintentionaly floppy...

post-1503-1155401170_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phren

I think the complaints stem from the fact that we only have full coloured pics of the fighter mode. Therefore you are hearing a lot from the fighter nuts.

Me, I'm a VF nut. The valk must look good in all modes.

I think most arguments here can be rectified with the showing of pics. ;)

Second that notion, to me be it a YF or VF variant, they must look good in all 3 modes, especially battroid and fighter for me. Damn look at the silhouhettes makes me want to get 3 instead of two to display it in all 3 modes. :ph34r::blink:

Cheers

Does anyone here still think the shoulders should be raised a little bit though? (at least as high as the cockpit canopy?) Yeah it will suffer in fighter mode because it would look less slim, but there is something about angled shoulder pads that I like rather than flat ones.

The compromise might spoil one mode to make the other look a little more agressive/tough though.

my list of things :

-slightly longer wings (may help to offset the vertical chunkiness)

-shoulders that look a bit more raised (don't know if this would improve it)

-neck curve (somebody drew a line of where it could be altered which would improve the look. In all the lineart there is a curve that raises up a little)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Me, I'm a VF nut. The valk must look good in all modes.

424532[/snapback]

Exactly.

I'm into VF's because they do that transforming trick.

424538[/snapback]

I was also one but after seeing that pic I have to… upgrade to being a YF lover too :p ! Damn that thing looks good.

Watched M+ again (well, all the YF-19 scenes).

The wings have anhedral in nearly every shot that it's drawn well. (not a rapidly-rolling little speck in the background).

It's most obvious in the scenes where they show the guns firing from head-on----this happens early in the YF-19's testing (fires both gunpod and wingroot-mounted guns) and very soon after the "screen full of ISAMU" sequence starts. Also, just before the first "gun-range" head-on firing sequence, we get our first actual look at the YF-19--it rises up out of the ground as Isamu watches---also a good shot of it. Any quick/easy/freeware screencap programs out there? I could then just pop the DVD's in and show where I mean.

Also, they angle more than I showed.

Finally, the "sloping" upper surface is always present, period. Even if the wings don't appear to angle in some drawings, the upper fuselage/intakes do in every drawing.

And yes, there are a few scenes where it seems to have no angle, or even DIhedral---but those scenes are few, and half the time involve the YF-21 which also has no anhedral in those scenes--but the YF-21 has EXTREME anhedral across both body and wings, and so those scenes are just drawn wrong or something--I suspect they're actually drawn upside down----the details on the planes are the upper surface, but the overall shape seems to imply the lower surface. Or along those lines.

Most of the time, the YF-19 is shown as having anhedral.

Is there any official head-on drawing from Kawamori of the YF-19? I can't find one---the YF-21 has several.

For comparison, the VF-9 has a nice head-on drawing (Kawamori's other FSW valk), definitely has flat wings, but has an extreme amount of washout--which is strange, as forward-swept wings basically negate the phenomenon which washout counteracts. (In otherwords, it's really pointless, but clearly there) YF-19 appears to have a small amount of washout (going by what I think is a canon side-view, from my M7 TIAS book) but it could also be incidence.

Edited by David Hingtgen

For comparison, the VF-9 has a nice head-on drawing (Kawamori's other FSW valk), definitely has flat wings, but has an extreme amount of washout--which is strange, as forward-swept wings basically negate the phenomenon which washout counteracts.  (In otherwords, it's really pointless, but clearly there)  YF-19 appears to have a small amount of washout (going by what I think is a canon side-view, from my M7 TIAS book) but it could also be incidence.

424628[/snapback]

Well, brother, it could be that the whole frickin' ball o' wax is make-believe, so the designer didn't have to worry about the physics of flight. I'm no aerospace engineer, but I don't get the strong sense that the yf-19 would fly in any case. Who cares? Cool looking plane, anhedral wings or no :lol:

August 19th and 20th at the Makuhari Messe..

Hmmmm, I'll be in Tokyo on those days. Makuhari Messe isn't that far.. Going to a wedding reception in Shinjuku on the 19th tho...

I agree with David that in the anime and lineart, the legs are higher and sit in the shoulders more in fighter mode and the wings angle downward when seen from the front (very obvious when the 19 first comes up the elevator in the garage in ep 2). But those are extreme nitpicks that I do not mind whatsoever. Even if the wings DID angle down, how would you get them to slide into their sleeves when transforming to battroid mode??? And if the legs sat higher in fighter mode that would mean huge gaping holes in the back of the legs in battroid.

Any quick/easy/freeware screencap programs out there?  I could then just pop the DVD's in and show where I mean. 

424628[/snapback]

CTRL+I is usually what I use in media player for screencapping.

424641[/snapback]

Can't get any more quick/easy/freeware then that.

I didn't know this either, thanks!

The wings still retract and fit when angled down because the wingroots are angled too, at the same angle. Fuselage is also angled (on the upper surfaces). Basically you can start on either side of the center fuselage "tube" and go down along a straight line (but at an angle) from the fuselage to the wingroots to the wingtips, all along the upper surface.

This is a very simple schematic I made up. Note the green line. It is not only the wings, but also the upper surface of the wing roots, and the upper surface of the intakes. It's ALL sloped.

schem.gif

Now, it's exaggerated a bit to show what I'm talking about. Also, the slope should become more shallow as you move in towards the fuselage tube. The wings are the most angled, then the wingroots are shallower, then the intake/fuselage are is the shallowest--almost horizontal, but not quite. But that's hard to show without a detailed drawing of the wingroots and intakes.

As for the legs---I was hoping for some variation on the SHE in that area. As I said--they've had literally years to figure out a more durable/practical version of that for a mass-production toy. The SHE would have left a huge gap if it didn't have the extra folding panels that unfolded to cover up the hole left for the shoulders when it went into battroid. The SHE's leg transformation is probably 3x as complicated as the Yamato's, just so it can move the legs closer to the shoulders, yet not have a gap in battroid mode--it basically folds up the calf, and stuffs it down inside the ankle, thus making room for the shoulder by the knee.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Well Kawamori is going to have to approve it before it goes into production, right?

Granted, he has made some lame calls lately (VF-0A colors, Masterpiece Starscream)...

but if the wing length, angle, sloping, anhedral, blah blah blah is good enough for him, then that should be the final word.

Just don't let him do too many bong rips before he evaluates :lol:

p.s. David, are you in the Aerospace industry? I'm just curious where all your authority about aircraft is coming from.

This is great! I leave the forums for a month or two, and this gets introduced! Looking for a better YF-19 toy is how I found MW back in early 2002. I really began to lose hope that this toy would ever be made.

Bah. Oh well, at least I tried.

424743[/snapback]

*hahahahah* Good try. Better than I could do. But I really hope it ends up looking better than that. Maybe they really should think about making those wings bigger...

...as if none of that has every been said/complained about for any other Yamato toy... It's part of MW culture. Toys are made, we b*tch. That's how it is. :)

Anyways---nope, never had a single class or ground school for anything aviation related. I just read a lot. (And investigate a lot--you'd be surprised how much wrong info is in modern day text books) Basically---I like planes, and want to know how they work. Intricately. When it's a hobby, and not a job/class, you pay more attention, as you WANT to learn about it and do it on your own time/terms.

2005633980385463163_rs.jpg

That is the closest for lineart I can find to head on. Don't know if they should be straight or drooping and which is canon and which isn't. (since the pic isn't perfectly straight and we are looking at an angle from below..)

edit:

...but it does kinda show the beer gut that graham was mentioning..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I'm sorry, complaining about a .5 degree angle in the wings just goes into the realm of the mentally challenged.

424826[/snapback]

That makes him mentally challenged??

c'mon now..

424836[/snapback]

I don't get it either. :huh:

Eugimon gets very angry when anyone implies Yamato isn't perfect or could do something more to make their toys better. You would think he is the actual employee at Yamato who made the decision at some point in the design process not to angle the wings down a tad...

It's just a toy, consider the criticism constructive, accept that other people have different tastes, and RELAX. Do the wings on the SD YF-19 in your avatar point downward?

Edited by jenius

Eugimon gets very angry when anyone implies Yamato isn't perfect or could do something more to make their toys better.  You would think he is the actual employee at Yamato who made the decision at some point in the design process not to angle the wings down a tad...

It's just a toy, consider the criticism constructive, accept that other people have different tastes, and RELAX.  Do the wings on the SD YF-19 in your avatar point downward?

424854[/snapback]

goodness jenius, you sure got me there. Just because I don't spend my time or get my jollies by pointing out the most miniscule detail, doesn't mean I can't get my jollies by pointing out the absudity of people who do.

And yes jenius... I am FURIOUS that yamato is making a yf-19 that is not has not been given the SD version. I will shortly be posting comparison pictures and studies indicating the differences between my avatar yamatos version and why the SD version is better.

191721.jpg

191408.jpg

You know, I think it also shows the shoulders angled out as well--and weren't a lot of people asking for angled shoulders for battroid mode? That was like, page 2 of this thread. Angling the wings/wingroots/intakes/fuselage also angles out the shoulders (otherwise they wouldn't fit). The YF-19's upper surfaces slope, and that carries through to all modes. The original Yamato YF-19 was sloped as I recall (the chest plate sure was), they seem to have "forgotten" that.

Edited by David Hingtgen