The 2nd Coming of the YF-19

wolfx

VA-3M? That's that hibrid that can go on water right?

The overall design was pretty cool... Is there a variable toy or model of this thing out there?

422667[/snapback]

There is this Studio Half-Eye model...

she_va3box.jpg

Carl

422754[/snapback]

That is one of the ugliest planes in the game, but I'm willing to buy it just to be a completist. Luckily there is not much variation.

422757[/snapback]

I like it. It's different then the standard fighter look.

I think would be a pretty big toy.

I hate the VA-3. Ugly in all modes. I think I hate the VF-9 just as much.

Not much of a fan of the VF-14 either.

The VF-17 has grown on me as I've been watching M7.

I would be crawling all over the walls in anticipation if Yamato did a good looking transforming VF-4G lightning III. :D

I have to at least get the YF-19. VF-19A color variants would depend on the colors. I'd probably skip on the Excalibur. But if there were to be a Low Vis type (v1, not jungle camo) I'd have to dig for money or start selling other people's organs because I need mine. :p

For "lesser known" valks I'd like (in order) the VF-4, VF-5000, or VF-3000.

For sheer transforming bliss/complexity, the VF-9. That has SUCH a complicated transformation if you really analyze it. Like the quadruple-folding wings that make up the chest... No other valk forms half the battroid chest from the wings.

That is one of the ugliest planes in the game, but I'm willing to buy it just to be a completist. Luckily there is not much variation.

422757[/snapback]

I like it. It's different then the standard fighter look.

I think would be a pretty big toy.

422762[/snapback]

To be honest, I do like it. But it's still so ugly. But it's so different, unique and Macross.

Edited by kensei

I've never heard of a VA3. It doesn't look like it has anything to do with Macross. Uuuuuuugly!

422814[/snapback]

The VA-3 first appeared in 1995's "This is Animation Special: Macross Plus", on pg 72-73, 94. The book is also noteable for the first appearance of the VF-5000.

The VA-3 later appeared in Macross 7 Dynamite, as the VA-3C/VA-3C Kai. In a sense, it wasn't original to VF-X2. (Though the water landing and submarine capabilities are - as it is the VA-3M in the game - the wing pods are modified into pontoons, and it looses it's BFG gun pod.)

Believe you me, it's not a fighter, but a bomber type plane. If it ever gets produced as a toy, it'd probably need the least amount of 'redesign' to make it work (unlike the VF-19...)

I love the fact that pic with all the VF-X equipment shows the 17D in a natural looking GERWALK mode instead of that wierd GERWALK with the shoulder lasers and stiff legs.

422837[/snapback]

It's not an option available in the game, if that's what you mean (ALL VFs available to the player are limited to the 3 'base' modes.)

I think that extra gerwalk mode of the VF-17D is pretty funky - it gives it a more aggressive feel. Nevertheless, it doesn't appear very often in the games or animation...

It's sort of in the intro to macross 7 alot when they do the gundam-esqe jetstream attack manuever. :D (ok it looks nothing like it but that's what I am reminded of. It looks very dangerous though. Like the guy in the back actually shoots his gunpod while the guy in the front strafes in front of him?... er doesn't look like it would actually be very helpful if you are the guy being shot in the back while it happened..)

But yeah you see thier arms folded back instead of hanging off thier sides. Maybe it increases speed by landing in gerwalk that way or something..

Would it set Yamato back THAT much to get an M7 licence? Endless repaints!

I can see them getting an M3 licence though. Game was sweet but hard to control.

I'd buy the Konig Monster all over again if they released it in the VF-X Ravens Colour scheme.

Ooops...Graham's listening.....:ph34r:

Edited by kensei

M3=Max and Milia colors for lots of valks! :) Like the VF-4 and 11. Not the 19/22 though, disappointingly.

Still, M7 has more valks and colors than DYRL. DYRL sure has a bigger fan base, but there's really not that many valk/schemes in it, especially with the overlaps from the TV series. I suspect Yamato just doesn't like M7--it's frankly too important of a license to ignore THAT many valks and schemes.

I'd love a Jamming birds VF-11D.

Yes the Jamming Birds VF-11! That would be awesome.

They can make slight variations on a VA-3 as well, one for underwater use and the standard one.

Is it simple to copy a mold and then alter the second type?

For sheer transforming bliss/complexity, the VF-9.  That has SUCH a complicated transformation if you really analyze it.  Like the quadruple-folding wings that make up the chest...  No other valk forms half the battroid chest from the wings.

422813[/snapback]

Where would one find the best info on the VF-9 transformation? I've seen pics of it in the 3 modes but I don't think I've ever seen much detail on how it transforms. Are there any videos of the transformation out there?

Just curious,

Carl

I believe you'd be able to see it in the Macross M3 game.

Otherwise, there's the line-art in Kawamori Shoji's Valkyrie (Macross Design Works) book. Sadly, from what I have seen to date, there doesn't appear to be a step-by-step breakdown of its transformation.

EDIT: clarifified the book title.

Edited by sketchley

For sheer transforming bliss/complexity, the VF-9.  That has SUCH a complicated transformation if you really analyze it.  Like the quadruple-folding wings that make up the chest...  No other valk forms half the battroid chest from the wings.

422813[/snapback]

Where would one find the best info on the VF-9 transformation? I've seen pics of it in the 3 modes but I don't think I've ever seen much detail on how it transforms. Are there any videos of the transformation out there?

Just curious,

Carl

422966[/snapback]

Carl, If you want I can scan the Macross Design Book ;)

While the Design Book has the VF-9's transformation, it's your standard "3-step process with 500 arrows all over, showing "before and after" Kawamori drawing." Even with labeled diagrams, it's still up to your own brain to figure out how the pieces GOT there. :)

I first "noticed" the VF-9's transformation because of M3---I'd sit there looking at it transforming, basically thinking "WTF is it DOING?" :)

It's one of the few asymmetrically-transforming valks (arms separate front/back, not left-right), which adds a twist. (literally) Flip and rotate, rotate and flip...

Edited by David Hingtgen

Yes, the arms (and shoulder/head support assembly) literally form the center length of the jet. The engine nacelles/legs do the same thing as the VF-1. And the kicker... the wings fold over and around themselves to form the chest and belly of the battroid.

Now to clarify, my meaning of step-by-step is the clear 12-14 breakdown that we get for the VF-1, VF-11, etc.. The VF-9 is like the transformation of the VF-19: three pictures and a bunch of arrows... confusing as heck!

Leave it to Kawamori to make the most complicated transformations the least documented... (it's obvious he has every step of every valk's transformation carefully figured out, he just doesn't write them down that often)

I still want a more detailed explanation of the YF-21's shoulder transformation---the Design Works doesn't help much, I actually like the SHE instructions more! (but that's simplified and inaccurate--but far better than Yamato's)

I think, as far as the YF-21/VF-22 goes, we should seriously consider it to be "anime physics." The best example would be from Transformers: where does Optimus Prime's trailer go (or appear from?) when "he" transforms? The same applies to the YF-21/VF-22, Y/VF-19, etc.: parts are altered when they transform. For example - the nose of the Y/VF-19 loses length in battroid mode; so too do its wings. When they fold up, they loose some of their length and a lot of their depth.

So, in my book, the YF-21/VF-22's shoulders are the same as the legs: the just somehow fit in, without interfering with the engines and air intakes, and it is best if you don't think about it.

Maybe the 21/22 has that morphing metal thing like the wings.  The arms change shape in fighter mode to make the plane slicker.

423201[/snapback]

Yeah I was about to say so. Unless that scene was purely metaphoricial, to illustrate Guld's ability to control the thing with his mind, parts of the 21 clearly showed some ability to alter their shape a bit.

Edited by Phren

VF-22 doesn't have the morphing AFAIK, but transforms the same. It can fold the wings and tailplanes for highspeed mode, but that's it.

I still think it's all about the belly plates, that's the key--either they "wrap" around the arms, or they have smaller panels deploy to cover the arms--because I think Kawamori wouldn't resort to "pure" anime magic to transform round segmented arms into flat smooth panels---he may use anime magic to tweak proportions and shapes a bit, but never to completely change something into something else.

I've just looked at the side of the yf21 lineart in fighter mode. To me it doesn't look perfectly flat but bumpy and is actually the surface of the arm. (It might be that the lines were flattened out and deformed to make it look aesthetically pleasing, or that in the animation they just drew it a certain way when fighter mode was shown)

edit:

here is some belly lineart I've compiled for people to judge for themself:

1461495001090647100_rs.jpg

kind of reminds me of the fat bulges you always see for the yf19 in battroid mode.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Oh man I just saw the episode where we first see the VF-22 in M7. Damn, I want a Max VF-22 now. :D Does the VF-22 hold one or two gunpods? I couldn't figure it out from the Macross Design Works book.

I prefer the overall look of the VF-22, especially the head in battroid, and the belly of the plane in fighter (since it internally stores its gunpod).

I'm drooling in anticipation of the YF-19. I just hope it doesn't have any problems like the infamous tab-B. :ph34r:

I'm drooling in anticipation of the YF-19.  I just hope it doesn't have any problems like the infamous tab-B.  :ph34r:

423354[/snapback]

Generally bigger is stronger.

I hope.

Oh man I just saw the episode where we first see the VF-22 in M7.  Damn, I want a Max VF-22 now. :D  Does the VF-22 hold one or two gunpods?  I couldn't figure it out from the Macross Design Works book.

I prefer the overall look of the VF-22, especially the head in battroid, and the belly of the plane in fighter (since it internally stores its gunpod).

I'm drooling in anticipation of the YF-19.  I just hope it doesn't have any problems like the infamous tab-B.  :ph34r:

423354[/snapback]

2 of the suckers mate, You can see in the reference pics 1/1 LowViz Lurker posted.

Uhh, whoops sorry, that's for an FP'd 22'. :ph34r: i should take my time to post. lol then again, it shows both with '2' gunpods, with or without FP's. I'm stumped.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I've just looked at the side of the yf21 lineart in fighter mode. To me it doesn't look perfectly flat but bumpy and is actually the surface of the arm. (It might be that the lines were flattened out and deformed to make it look aesthetically pleasing, or that in the animation they just drew it a certain way when fighter mode was shown)

edit:

here is some belly lineart I've compiled for people to judge for themself:

1461495001090647100_rs.jpg

kind of reminds me of the fat bulges you always see for the yf19 in battroid mode.

423319[/snapback]

Looks like the lower half of the wing roots help conceal the overall shape of the arm, no? Hey, Yamato, are you taking notes for my 21/22?

Oh btw those are yf21 belly pics.

The vf 22 belly plates look different.

edit:

VF-22 belly

1860465317904065994_rs.jpg

Regardless of how you see the YF-21 belly sides as being shaped, I think you'll agree it's quite unlike how the arms look in battroid mode.

In any case I hope they make the legs and arms detachable (they were in the show weren't they?) and then have optional side covers for those who don't want to see the arms. (that is if they can't fit these rounded bits in the belly)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Oh btw those are yf21 belly pics.

The vf 22 belly plates look different.

423405[/snapback]

I honestly wouldn't care.. repaint it, slap on a new head and call it the Vf-22 and I'll still buy it. just get the fighter mode to look right.