Macross Zero...in English!

terry the lone wolf

Just to let you know, that's my group, DH for Dark Heroes, and to let ya know, that was just a rough version, I just completed the scene it's a bit different, but much better. I got rid of Aries Puffs and fixed up Roy's stuff a bit. Arie's VA was also doing redoes for it and those were much better.Also changed some of the SFX's and the hollow echo is a bit more improved thanks to Aries' VA.

I've nearly completed the entire Episode, I'm really surprised someone found it! Espically a MW member!

My goal is to always try and do better then what professional groups could do and I try to get really picky on voices....I've actually gone thru 3 Roy Fokker voices to nail this guy who I think still does a phenomal job. He may not be the Robotech voice, but hell he's better then what ADV's got.

I'm currently only waiting on my VA for Mao, and 2 male extras to finish off Yellow One, and Delta three.

I also got the first scene up which is just a low quality and needs to be fixed up a bit, but it's still not bad.

Edited by Hikuro

Just to let you know, that's my group, DH for Dark Heroes, and to let ya know, that was just a rough version, I just completed the scene it's a bit different, but much better.  I got rid of Aries Puffs and fixed up Roy's stuff a bit.  Also changed some of the SFX's and the hollow echo is a bit more improved.

I've nearly completed the entire Episode, I'm really surprised someone found it! Espically a MW member!

My goal is to always try and do better then what professional groups could do and I try to get really picky on voices....I've actually gone thru 3 Roy Fokker voices to nail this guy who I think still does a phenomal job.  He may not be the Robotech voice, but hell he's better then what ADV's got.

I'm currently only waiting on my VA for Mao, and 2 male extras to finish off Yellow One, and Delta three.

I also got the first scene up which is just a low quality and needs to be fixed up a bit, but it's still not bad.

409608[/snapback]

I had a feeling it was you. I like what I hear and can't wait for the longer version. BTW the VA for Ares sounds pretty hot!

Thank you, she's a pro from FUNImation, she's been in Fruits Basket the last I heard....she was also doing some auditions for leading roles that FUNI managed to get the liscenes too but I can't remember the titles....she also does some fandubbing work of her own like scenes from Aquarion and Sailor Moon etc etc...she even did Minmay for a few of my old SDF Macross scenes that never got released online.

Also the girl playing Mao is a professional who I think works for Ocean Group. Last role I remember her doing was just some extra work for Inuyasha and was auditioning for a role in Hikaru no Go. Her and I were in an ameature VA Panel at Sakuracon back in 05, dont' know if anyone was there from Macross World though, doubt it.

Also since it was just a rough draft, I deleted Scene 6 from Youtube.com I know ppl who read this board will want too watch it to see for themselves, but seeing as it was just a rough, there's no point in having it up when the final is completed.

But if you guys wanna see just a cheapo trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dFtcd9vQxk

It features the voice of Allison Rose who plays Sara Gnome for othe dub. She did a fantastic job in starting scene as Sara when she tells Shin to leave the island.

One of the toughest things about Fandubbing is finding people to do voices, not because fandubs suck, but because alot of people are shy OR one of the dumbest reasons is because it's not Sailormoon, Inuyasha, Dragonball Z or Final Fantasy....or .Hack

That's great that all these voice actors are willing to fandub - hey, voice actors have to eat too, right? But this shows that they really enjoy the material.

This dub may not get as famous as "I'm the Juggernaut" but the quality is obviously far better!

Thanks, sadly my VA for Mao caught a cold while she was in Alberta last week.....so I gotta wait another week or two before she gets better enough to do her lines....I'm now 2 weeks behind schedule and now gonna look at a July release. Episode 2 wont be released till August or September.

That's my initial goal is to do all 5 episodes. The projects been in the plans since I think right after Episode 1 or 2....the biggest problems are hitting area's where the BGM isn't existing in the 2 OST's, or there's an Sara singing, but it's a unique variation and I can't somehow drown out some of the japanese vocals or there's a special sound being used and the japanese vocals are going off, shin's talking or what ever, or grunting, so it sort of makes things difficult to use.

I've hit those snags in Episode 1 as well in many moments, but the English dialouge was able too drown that out so you really don't take notice to it unless you listen in very carefully.

Hey Hikuro, I am enjoying this fandub. Is this going to be available for nonprofit purchase or only on youtube?

For the moment it'll only be on Youtube....but I am working on a VCD/DVD version I'm just not getting a whole lot of time right now to run some more tests. I'm having trouble making the DVD, no matter what I'm doing, what setting I mess with, the DVD becomes curropted after burning.

I'm pretty sure I can make a Super VCD which will keep a good amount of quality to the film, and can easily cover the Fandub version and a Fansubbed version I did.

Next week I'm planning on buying some DVD covers that I FINALLY found at work.......they're just hiding in the very back of the store.....which in my opinion is pretty funny.....CD labels in one end of the store, DVD inserts at another end.

Great effort Hikuro.

I like the voice acting of shin's co-pilot (edgar ?). He is good.

I find the switching between voice over radio to "present" is very good (or from speaking without and with the face mask), especially just before the dog fight. It is a bit "over done" at some later part, I feel.

Keep up the good work.

I have not seen the whole thing (or what is available), but somhow I find that the projected character of Shin is not a good fit to the original japanese voice actor and the character in the story (sorry Hikuro, only my subjective judgement).

Actually the mis-match of character is the one big reason I stay away from dubed anime. I know is not an easy problem to solve.

cheers

Edited by kkx

Shin's personality in the very beginning seems very flat, so I wanted to just highten that a bit, I don't think i did a very bad job myself, the original VA last year I had picked out was very good, but like I've been saying, finding guys to VA is a very difficult thing, they just don't like to audition, they tend to wanna be scouted....but you can't scout them if you haven't heard them before right?

Edgar's VA is a good friend of mine, he worked for US Manga CORP before they laid him off due to bankruptcy 2 months ago....he's still very bummed about that too. He's very good at what he does for me, he has no problem on giving out what ever I ask, be it a minor role to a major warrior type character like Tekkaman Blade.

But yeah, the dub isn't completely finished....my Mao VA is currently recovering but should be back to normal any day and sending out her lines.

As for the "radio" or "helmet" vocals, those are tough....I gotta give 'em out to other people for the Radio comlink stuff....for the Helmets I improvise by playing the audio clip over my speakers full volume infront of my mic, then I record it. If I got it just right it sounds like talking thru a helmet, but the audio level is so quiet for some reason that I gotta turn up the volume during mixing and sometimes you hear a "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............." faint sound like that. But if there's music or background going on, you don't notice it at all.

Just wacthed part b and c. The VA for Mao is great but Sara's one is a bit lacking, in my opinion. :) I hope Mao's VA will get well soon and complete the recording.

I can imagine that finding the right VA is taugh. Do you have special setup to do the recording? If not, then you could get people from "the net" to be your VA.

cheers

Here at Dark Heroes we only get our VA's thru the internet, afterall alot of the people who do this sort of work take it very seriously, so when a director asks for redoes cause a line didn't come out right or something, they go and jump right back at it without going "Bah I give up, find someone else"

Everyone who plays a role in this sort of gig really enjoy doing it cause it's very difficult to go pro in such a field, it's a competition litterally.

Sara's VA doesn't have a lot to say in the series.....only a few key speaking points like where she warns off Shin, argueing with Mao and then being a bit compassiont to Shin at the end........her role greatly increases as the series progresses.

I was trying to target that with Allison, try not to let Sara sound too emotional till Episode 2 where Sara begins to worry of all the laws broken as Shin's kind starts to invade the island with their culture and technology....Allison is really geared into giving Sara at that point a real good shot.

Allison is also the VA for my DYRL FDP project, though is off to a terribly slow start now for the last 2 years....I just haven't had alot of good chances to get to it.

Mao's VA, Lila, she's recovered but her voice is still a lil raspy, but she did finish all but one line I'm having her redo.....if anything I'm being very stuborn on the pronounciation of "Kadun"....keeping it VERY close to the Japanese phrasing....sort of like keeping Macross, Macross, and not Muh cross. If I heard any of my VA's saying it like that I'd whip them till they got it right and coward in fear each time they said it.

So currently I'm just waiting on Lila to finish that redo line and I can finish Episode 1....

The Prototype DVD case is finished as well, looks really well with AKT_M's fabulous artwork.

I do need to make ONE lil correction near the spine, but other then that the cover is flawless....and the Disc at this time carries the M0 logo with a shot of the VF-0S...however I may change that depending on how things go.

Also, the subtitled version has been scrapped....I just don't have the space to release this as well with the English version, afterall, this is a fandub, and if people wanna watch it Subtitled, they can download it, it's only been available for the last 4 years (meaning episode1).

So it's close, very very uber close. I wont be offering it to anyone but cast members for a while...so yeah Youtube will be the only way to watch it until I give out the cast members SVCD and DVD case.

I had an idea at one point, when the series is finished, on making a DVD box set....where the spine colomn would have a piece of the VF-0, and when you have all 5 volumes you can form the VF-0...however it's just an idea.

Hmmmmmmm I hit a really nasty snag when I was working on the final product tonight.....I think it all revolves around the Nakajima/Roy scene....there's like 4 seconds I think missing of footage....RIGHT after that scene, the audio is WAY off from the raw video I'm using to create a "clean" visual....I basically used an old version of the Nakajima/Roy scene and just plastered it right in the video side....so I'm gonna have to remix all but the audio for that scene to get it timed out better......really pisses me off but it puts the final version a day later again.

k, doesn't look to be the scenes, it just's the length of the movie......it just doesn't seem to like it so I'm going to have to break it back into pieces and get back some quality....I tested the theory out with the 4 parts I originally divided them into for Youtube, and it synced perfectly where I was having trouble.........hmph....I shall remember this.

Overall the work is good and high quality for a fandub. My only real quip is Roy. The VA is good in his own interpretation but overall the character is presented too gruff. I havnt heard anyone be that gruff to their troops before a battle. Not even Patton. It seemed like he was talking down to them and not inspiring them.

Really? I thought that scene was actually really good. It was the first M0 scene I had ever mixed originally since it didn't feel like I was ever going to get the episode off the ground.

I'll have Lionel be a little more careful on that. His first rendition of Roy was a bit week, but it wasn't horrible, that was way back when i was messing with the TV series before I caught wind of the ADV dub.

Okay lemme ask this real quick, if you had to choose a dub style to listen too, which seems better? The cast I got going on right now? Oooooorrrrrr ADV's cast?

Id rather have your cast personally. ADV asks its VAs to be too animated character like and not as human as the dubs for serious anime should. Stuff that is more comedy is ok to have a cartoony sounding VA but for their more serious subjects like EVA and gasaraki all the yelling and especially the screechy female characters gets in the way.

The most well acted ADV release i have seen as far as dub would have to be Rahxephon.