Sdf-1 (tv) 3d Model

mac666er

First I want to say this is awesome work and That I can really relate on the quantity of effort you are putting in to this. I am currently building models texturing them for a game of course they are far lower in poly's so they are no where near the depth and detail you have put in. So by the way once again AWESOME JOB!!!

Now a question that I think you might be running into as well as what I have been running into. Scaling! Do you find it that the some of the Stats Of the SDF 1 are not matching up? I noticed when I put my models of the VF-1 in with my SDF that the SDF is really small and to get on screen comparison I have to scale the SDF to almost 3 times its size as stated in some sites. Are you running into this problem as well?

Also I wanted to ask what kind of rendering programs you are using?? Because I am still mainly just use a game engine to render my work or my model viewer that comes with my software.

Edited by Darrtallion

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone,

It has been a while, but I haven't given up just yet. I went back to the drawing board and attacked the problem of scale by working on the textures and the lighting. After a couple of months' work I came up with the example below, hope you like it ^_^

Darrtallion: yeah, anime in general plays with scaling and proportions all over the place, so a real 3D model will have a very hard time to reproduce that feel with a single model. This will always happen with this style.

All my renders are in Next Limit's Maxwell. The model is in Maya and all the texturing and rendering is done in Maxwell.

Please critic! Thanks for looking!

M.

sdf-1_transformation_lighted.jpg

Actually there's a great completed model for downloading over on teh zealot paper-model / card-model forums. You can even print it out (over like 5 pages small version, 10 pages large I think) and then fold it up and presto, you've got your own FULLY TRANSFORMING model of the SDF-Macross (though its listed under robotech on teh forum).

http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php...4958&page=7

there's one by getter1 on like page 4 or so, but it was his first version and a number of areas are mis-proportioned (and it wasn't really meant to be transformable. He's working on an updated version.

I also did a fully-transformable one (see pictures of the quick-build on page 6 and 7) and its available for download here:

http://www.savefile.com/files/1623117 (free download, no login/registration required)

• 1 month later...

I am still refusing to let this go :lol:

So I am playing with some lights and definitely reworked the textures.

To do:

• Work some more on the plating and add some wear and tear!
  • I want to think about a good composition, so I am toying with some ideas about how to present the model

By the way, I always wondered how the cannons on the Macross fired, hence the idea below. I hope I am not contradicting canon (as in canonical story)!

Thanks for looking!

M.

sdf-1_transformation_2_firing.jpg

Edited by mac666er

By the way, I always wondered how the cannons on the Macross fired, hence the idea below. I hope I am not contradicting canon (as in canonical story)!

Oh yeah, I always wondered about the turrets myself! I'm glad Macross Frontier finally answered that question.

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/forfansonly/an...oss-turrets.gif

Btw, your model still looks great :)

To do:

• I want to think about a good composition, so I am toying with some ideas about how to present the model

Thanks for looking!

M.

Sir, with that picture, you just made me a believer. If you ever need a human shield, just call me.

Btw, is there any chance we can get a shot with a group of VF-1 standing or parked on top of the Prometheus like the VF-25s on Macross Quarter, just to get a sense of epic scale out of your model (and a new wallpaper? :D )

Oh yeah, I always wondered about the turrets myself! I'm glad Macross Frontier finally answered that question.

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/forfansonly/an...oss-turrets.gif

Btw, your model still looks great :)

Thanks!

The model is still not where I want it to be, so I am still refining it. And I liked Macross Frontier, but I think their 3D models still could be more polished, so I will try to polish mine I guess!

Btw, is there any chance we can get a shot with a group of VF-1 standing or parked on top of the Prometheus like the VF-25s on Macross Quarter, just to get a sense of epic scale out of your model (and a new wallpaper? biggrin.gif )

Hmmmmmm actually that is not a bad idea... I may need to work on some destroids/valkyries and then work on a nice composition! ^_^ Thanks for the input! I will be honored if you use it as a wallpaper! :D

Very nice work, the model is looking great.

As soon as I saw it I started singing the macross theme song in my head without even realizing it, it was like a reaction.

Does the software you're using allow for animation? It would be very cool to be able to see the ship transforming, assuming you've gotten that far yet of course. Keep up the good work.

Very nice work, the model is looking great.

As soon as I saw it I started singing the macross theme song in my head without even realizing it, it was like a reaction.

Does the software you're using allow for animation? It would be very cool to be able to see the ship transforming, assuming you've gotten that far yet of course. Keep up the good work.

Yes it does, just check post 145 on this same thread!

And here is a firing sequence I did! (requires quicktime)

Very nice work!!

Would be awesome if you could do the DYRL version.

Thanks! That will definitely be a future project! I was starting with this one to learn!

To do:

Thanks for looking!

M.

sdf-1_transformation_2_firing.jpg

This one is better than the last!

Great work! B))

• 4 months later...

Well, what can I say, I just can't move on :rolleyes: This is becoming like one of those girlfriends that you loved very much, she has moved on but you still keep thinking about her all the time! lol :ph34r:

Anyhow, it was a hectic holiday season, BUT I came back to this model to toy with some changes. Namely, the lighting is different. Also, along the lines of what chrono has been suggesting, I was eager to try the docked ships should to be more realistic and I applied the US NAVY color scheme and so much more detail. If you look really hard, you should see it aboard the Prometheus :lol:

I am not done with the details on the ships, and I am beginning to think I will never be done! But as always, enjoy and ANY comments are welcome! I try to become better everyday! Will try to post some close ups soon.

sdf-1_transformation_39-NDN.jpg

Thanks!

I was tweaking this model and playing with a sky background. What do you guys think?

I know that it goes a little bit against the Story with the docked ships in the landing site, but I wanted to explore concepts a little bit!

sdf-1_transformation_85.jpg

Edited by mac666er

• 1 year later...

Ok, so... this thread needs an update! :lol:

Sorry I was out for so long. You know, the economy and all... But now that my job is more or less stable I can go back to Macross stuff! Enjoy the pics!

sdf-1_transformation_85_w_fog.jpg

Close up:

sdf-1_transformation_85_close_up.jpg

Without textures:

sdf-1_transformation_firing_robot_mode_renderman_occlusion_pass.jpg

Close up:

sdf-1_transformation_firing_robot_mode_renderman_occlusion_pass_close_up.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Amazing beyond words.... again.

I've gotta know, what's your poly count up to now? I'm thinking that the sharp thing sticking out of the front of the reflex cannon has more polygons than my whole SDF-1! How can you work with it at that level of resolution? Just keep everything hidden that you're not working on?

This Macross model may well beat the Tron Legacy trailer for sheer mind-blowing awesomeness :)

I had the opportunity to see the TRON Legacy Trailer in front of some 3D stuff. As soon as it started (I'd already seen it on my computer), I realized that they were geniuses. The stuff taking place in OUR world was in 2D, and it wasn't until we arrive in the computer world, the... uh... Matrix if you will... that the 3D kicked in. Not only was that a genius technique for making one world seem mundane and another seem fantastic, but there's a historical precedent for that: The Wizard of Oz. So, as a film buff, I got a kick out of that shout out.

Knight -- don't look too hard at Bay's Junkformers, or you'll go blind.

Mac666er -- I have nothing else to say other than: still awesome.