Sdf-1 (tv) 3d Model

mac666er

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

That is gorgeous!!

Dude, you have an un-watermarked version of that pic? I have an idea for a wallpaper.

PM me with the link, if you are concerned about thieves taking credit for your work.

Thanks

WOW!

Sure Zinjo, here you go,

bridge_lighted_2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

ok, fans... time for some real sweeet updates... ;)

Finally got some render tests for the transformation, see below!!

I wanted to improve my texturing skills and do a decent model of the Macross. I know it still lacks a lot of detail but I would like to move on to something else and later comeback and do a more serious attempt at the Do you Remember Love model :D

Having said that, I may finish (or rather, declare this project abandoned) some time soon. I just need to polish it a little bit and work more on composition of the images and presentation of a "theme" and do a poster of some kind. I will definitely share it in Macross World.

Please do critic and let me know any questions or comments that you may have!

And thanks for looking!

mac

enjoy!!

sdf-1_14.jpg

Transformation_small.jpg

sdf-1_transformation_3_small.jpg

sdf-1_transformation_4.jpg

sdf-1_transformation_6.jpg

Edited by mac666er

:o

There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said already so I'll just pick up my jaw and stare at it for a bit.

Amazing!

I couldn't have said it better. Man that is one awesome modelling and texturing. Your attention to details is great. I can't wait to see a full transformation wideo of the thing.

Just love the awesome details that you have done. Fantastic and hope to see some great stuff on more animated SDF1. Btw, how about exporting it directly to QTVR. I am sure we can view it in every angle. And everyone can see your work in multi dimension. I just love your detailing.

ikhii

This model is fantastic. Beautiful pictures! I love your definition for "lack of detail" :) By all means, keep up the "low qulaity" work :)

I know you're askign for constructive criticism, but I can't think of much to criticize. If I had to think of something, perhaps the blue is a little too dark? I like it personally, but it's not really anime accurate. But I wouldn't change it :)

Edited by Mr March

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing I can think of to suggest is to turn down the "sheen" on the cannon pillars as well as the Deadelous & Prometheus surfaces so that the scale of the fortress is conveyed better.

Before totally abandoning this project, please provide various angles of the rendered ship and various close ups of the areas.

Put the renders on a neutral or grey background, so we can play with these amazing images in photoshop as they are they are displayed quite nicely, but are too dark for us to be able to "lift" the darker areas of the SDF-1!

Truly is an amazing render, the detail is quite astounding!

Edited by Zinjo

It looks great.

I'd like to see a rendering without so much ambient light though; maybe even with only a single directional light source (or two; like the sun and a reflected light from a planet) and internal or self-projected mini spot lighting... :-) There isn't that much light in space.

While I am drooling over this thing massively, I do have one little nitpick... I think the curved cut out areas on the underside of the main guns (the part that sits next to the "head" once transformed) looks just a little too smooth/soft around the edges, compared with the rest of the ship. While it looks great in distance shots, up close that spot just looks a lot less sharply defined than most of the ship, which has very fine detail. Dunno if you intended it that way though, it's beautifully smooth. :)

Oh, and your SDF-1 texture is backwards on the starboard side. ;)

Edited by Chronocidal

Simply awesome. Don't yas just wish they made a hyper detailed large scale SDF-1 like how they did with the S/Battleship Yamato 'light&sound' release. :o ---> http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN946749

Would love a working lights SDF-1 Bridge head for example...

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies everyone!

ce25254: I am working on some different lighting setups and will post one as soon as I find one that is not so bad! :p

chronocidal: I was hoping nobody would notice the backward textures! Anyhow they are fixed... and added more detail to the main gun and other places.

I had a chance to do some more detailing of the textures... what do you guys think?

Thanks for looking! :D

mac

sdf-1_transformation_bridge.jpg

SDF-1_transformation_Prometheus.jpg

SDF-1_transformation_Daedalus.jpg

Your going to hate me... ^_^

But the panel lines on the blue areas are too wide and deep. They catch to much light and stand out WAY too much. The white areas have the same panel lines, but don't stand out nearly as badly as the blue ones do. So you probably will only have to tweak the Blue lines. Also the UV's or the textures themselves are slightly messed up, because they lay on the surface oddly and look squiggly in some places on the beams.

The gray areas that have the gradient 'plated' look need to be scaled downwards. I'd personally avoid using that texture style because it's from the 90's when Babylon 5 was bleeding edge TV FX and has long ago given up it's ghost and now just looks bad. I'd suggest that you use 'noise', fractual and others, to give the textures a better color variation. And I'd definitely use photograph stock instead of 'painting' the model with a painting program. It'll give you better results. B))

Thanks everyone!

chrono:

But the panel lines on the blue areas are too wide and deep. They catch to much light and stand out WAY too much. The white areas have the same panel lines, but don't stand out nearly as badly as the blue ones do. So you probably will only have to tweak the Blue lines. Also the UV's or the textures themselves are slightly messed up, because they lay on the surface oddly and look squiggly in some places on the beams.

Yes, I am working on that problem since the render engine I am using (Maxwell) exhibits some weird behavior with angled reflections (the Fresnel effect) as color changes on the surface. Actually the materials are the same all over the ship, but for some reason I haven't figured out it exaggerates the highlights in the main gun.

The gray areas that have the gradient 'plated' look need to be scaled downwards. I'd personally avoid using that texture style because it's from the 90's when Babylon 5 was bleeding edge TV FX and has long ago given up it's ghost and now just looks bad. I'd suggest that you use 'noise', fractual and others, to give the textures a better color variation. And I'd definitely use photograph stock instead of 'painting' the model with a painting program. It'll give you better results

I am not sure I follow you on this one, are you referring to this part?

post-2898-1197850668_thumb.jpg

incredible work! I have Maxwell, but it just sits there... on my desktop.... mocking me ruthlessly for my complete inability to get it to work. :unsure:

I can't ever get it to render models out of max with textures, even when using maxwell textures. :angry:

anyway, are you using an illumination map, or did you actually apply each light separately?

• 3 months later...

Hey, I had some more time to keep working on this project. Thanks everyone for your support!

Cody, I applied each light separately... There around 50 lights in this image alone. :D

I reworked the UVs almost everywhere, this was to get a better displacement map effect in Maxwell. It was very arduous, but I did learn a lot. The panels of the ship look much better now. They don't look real yet, but I think they improved.

Also worked on the hull material, I tried to move away from a plastic look and really go for metal. I think it looks better, specially in the highlights of the image.

I also worked on the background.

One thing that is missing definitely is wear and tear... that is going to be a pain in the neck... well, for me at least!

Thanks for looking, and if you have any ideas or suggestions please share!

M.

sdf-1_transformation_bridge_1.jpg