Sdf-1 (tv) 3d Model

mac666er

@Dante: Yes, I am working on making it less shiny.

@Knight: lol, Thought nobody would notice it... it is a bug in the renderer :-P I already fixed it.

@woz: I am not sure I am following you.. what is a grove? Also, could you be more specific about the vernier thrusters? I am not sure what part of the model you are referring to. If you could circle it in photoshop with your comments that would be excellent, but if not, a text explanation would do. I don't know what is a vernier thruster :-P

@Lonewolf: yes.

@zinjo: Thanks!

I am trying to improve the model as much as I can!

mac

Meanwhile, a little teaser:

IPB Image

Oops I mean grooves :p

The vernier thrusters are the "small" rocket engines used to maneuver a space ship, in the sdf-1 are really big. I did a really quick model in TS to show what I mean by making the thrusters deeper

post-1093-1173381256_thumb.jpg

It's a great model, if you want a really nice model of a toy. It's perfect if that is what your goal is. Just my opinion. I see alot of detail you would only see on plastic parts such as rounded continuous edges and ribs and drafts commonly seen on plastic. I suggest looking at real images IF you want it to look real. I know, boo to me :(

@woz: Thanks for the explanation! Actually.. I didn't know they were engines... I have never come across a reference where these thrusters are fired... As a matter of fact I don't know what those squares/cubes are... How do you know they are thrusters?

@madmacks: Please do comment! All comments and critiques are welcome! Now that you mentioned the topic... the aim is to be realistic.. yeah I know it is still a long way, but I am learning. To make it look more realistic it will take at least 2 months of full time modeling to add the insane amounts of detailing needed. In general, professionals for the movie industry took 9 months to construct in the 80's large scale models. Now I know it takes several months to go from a design to having something modeled or even something in clay. That of course requires skill and time. I am trying to get both now :-P But hey at least I am trying! Jay Lew has a much better model, and I still would need a lot of practice to achieve that level of aesthetic appeal And I am afraid that it will take time :-P

Thanks for reading the thread!

mac

That of course requires skill and time. I am trying to get both now :-P But hey at least I am trying! Jay Lew has a much better model, and I still would need a lot of practice to achieve that level of aesthetic appeal And I am afraid that it will take time :-P

Lookin' great!!! I agree, I think I like some of the shapes on Jey-Lew's model better, but keep at it. Nothing like a little friendly competition to inprove everyone's quality and skills. Besides I haven't seen an update in a while on Jay-Lew's model. So at this rate you are going you'll have this looking better then his in no time.

Carl

• 4 weeks later...

The only real solid 'for sure' we have that they are vernier engines is the shot of that Destroid cruiser that dodges fire by firing its left side thrusters. If they are built based off the Macross, and the thrusters look the same (they are square, witch is kinda strange for an engine outlet but whatever) then I think its safe to asume. They also happen to be in the perfect spots for the job.

The same really goes for the Valkyries. They have 'lift point/vernier engines" on the design, and yet you very rarely see them used, nor do they fly like real space craft would.

• 2 weeks later...

It's really inspiring to see the SDF-1 come together in such a beautiful way, it looks so real....I guess if there's a master photoshopper out there we could already see a photorealistic pic of Macross City with all the eye candy we've seen so far.

Keep up the excelent work

Edited by Jedi Dark Knight

• 1 month later...

Hey!

No, this thread is NOT going to die! :-P I had some work to do and wasn't able to update some stuff, but I am back at the drawing board! I'll post updates soon!

@pfunk: yes, I think there is no problem in making a prototype with this file, however, I think there will be some issues as no physics was taken into account yet (translation: the model will very likely collapse under its own weight in some parts) :-P but oh well, we can always try!

@All! Thanks for the praises

mac

This model still lacks some detailing, but I think I am slowly getting there. Any opinions and crits welcome as usual!

As you can see I am giving the Prometheus a black deck and testing some colors.

Enjoy!

mac

Umm WOW! Nice work... B))

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dante: sure, np

Rodovan: I have been working with different light compositions, see below!

s001: I think I will try to detail the hull a little more before even considering an attempt at the inside. And then again, I may do the DYRL version instead, but who knows....

Updates:

First a little of bad news: the server software that was hosting my pics was updated and hence old links no longer work :angry: pics are still at my website, but under different links :wacko:

However, I am still working at the model and have some updates to show! including movies! Look!

Any crits welcome as always! Thanks for looking,

mac

bridge_lighted.jpg

Also I have the Main Gun getting ready to fire here:

Main Gun High-Defintion (Quick Time required)

Main Gun Small-Definition (Quick Time required)

Main Gun Small-Definition MPEG-4

Dante: sure, np

Rodovan: I have been working with different light compositions, see below!

s001: I think I will try to detail the hull a little more before even considering an attempt at the inside. And then again, I may do the DYRL version instead, but who knows....

Updates:

First a little of bad news: the server software that was hosting my pics was updated and hence old links no longer work :angry: pics are still at my website, but under different links :wacko:

However, I am still working at the model and have some updates to show! including movies! Look!

Any crits welcome as always! Thanks for looking,

mac

bridge_lighted.jpg

That is gorgeous!!

Dude, you have an un-watermarked version of that pic? I have an idea for a wallpaper.

PM me with the link, if you are concerned about thieves taking credit for your work.

Thanks

WOW!

Wow, your animation really gives a sense of weight and scale when the main guns open. That's quite hard to do. Your model just keeps getting better. I also really like the small lighting effects all over the bridge. That really helps sell the size of the ship in a subtle way.

Wow the lights just give it a whole level of realism, if you could apply this to the rest of the ship then... :o

Could you imagine the whole model with lights and then doing the openning sequence of DYRL?!! That would be too cool!