Sdf-1 (tv) 3d Model

mac666er

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any new updates? I've been to the site and haven't seen any new pics. I'm just really excited to see the end result of this bad boy.

I'm not sure if you post the new pics here first or on your website. So just checking. :D

Yes, inquiring fans want to know! :D

Any new updates? I've been to the site and haven't seen any new pics. I'm just really excited to see the end result of this bad boy.

I'm not sure if you post the new pics here first or on your website. So just checking. :D

Yes, inquiring fans want to know! :D

He has a website... :blink:

• 1 month later...

Ok, so... I have been somewhat busy and a little sick :(

However, I have regained my energy and I am ready to post some updates! yay!

But first, I have to say that my ultimate goal is to do the DYRL SDF version. Because of this, all the problems I encountered have been solved with that in mind.

It has been widely discussed that anime doesn't translate automatically into 3D, and the transformation of the SDF is specially painful in that regard. The transformation that I built is based on the movie, even though the model is from the TV series.

Here is a pic from the firing of the main gun:

IPB Image

Also, you can visit my website to look at the progress and see some other stuff B))My Webpage,

I cleaned lots of parts of the model, here is the cleaned up Daedalus, Hope you like it, (you will need quicktime 7 to see it):

Daedalus movie

and... for those who wanted to see something special... here is the firing of the main gun!! (well, at least the barebones sequence) also in quicktime format, enjoy!

SDF firing

Let me know what you think,

mac

Oh. . . my. . . God!!! :blink: That's amazing work. Is there any possiblity you could post some three-view shots. It would be cool to try and modify or scratchbuild a plastic model based on your 3d one!

:blink: GOOD LORD!!! It's so damn amazing!

Sorry, my remarks aren't with any intention to rush you. It's just that I, and when I say I, I probably speak for almost everyone who has read this thread, are very appreciative of this difficult and very time consuming task. I'm pretty sure that most of us have half the talent that you do with your 3D designing.

I can't wait to see the finished work. Just wondering, do you have any timescale upon which to complete this project?

Looks awesome man! I just checked back in this section after a while. Your work looks great! The movie didn't seem to work for the SDF!?. I know both drawing and building. I REALLY appreciate all the work you've gone through so far! I'm nearly almost done with just the BOTTOM of the Daedalus. Keep up the GREAT work! - MT

Looks awesome man! I just checked back in this section after a while. Your work looks great! The movie didn't seem to work for the SDF!?. I know both drawing and building. I REALLY appreciate all the work you've gone through so far! I'm nearly almost done with just the BOTTOM of the Daedalus. Keep up the GREAT work! - MT

Yeah I had the same issue with the sdf-1 movie link.

Chad: I may post the 3-view orthogonal views, but it will be quite detailed and it may actually not be very useful :(

Xyberz: Thanks! It is indeed very hard work :p but nice comments keep me going. As for a time frame, I wanted to do a reasonable model before the end of 2007, I think that is accomplished. However I wanted also to do other things to the model, namely, texturing and animating. That may not get done this year, it all depends on how much free time I can put on this project.

It may take more than a year because I have been working on some other stuff on the SDF 1 that I haven't posted in here... I think you guys will like it.. but... it is going to be a surprise...

And then, I wanted to do a DYRL version. I don't know when I'll start that project, but it will not take me that long to model. I already have tried several times, it is just that I don't like the result each time :p

madmacks: already working on the textures! Thanks for the advice! This is my weakest skill I must admit, so we'll see how I progress on this one.

mechtech: Thanks!! I hope your Daedalus sees the light of day some time soon!

As for the people that had issues with the quicktime movies I may post divx movies next time if I have time.

Thanks for all the comments!

mac

• 2 weeks later...

Umm, WOW!

I'm so impressed I'll say it backwards..WOW!

Gorgeous work man!!! :D

I'd suggest you go with a black top for the Prometheus as that is typically the color carrier decks are.

Maybe use reference pics from the Asuka II from Mac Zero or even real world AC's to get an idea of the markings needed for the carrier deck.

I'd also suggest shrinking the lettering on the sides of the ships to help give a better sense of scale.

The SDF-1 bridge looks gorgeous, however I'd suggest reducing the amount of reflection off the surfaces to give a greater sense of the size there as well. A low mat sheen might work better and might bring out the subtle panelling detail as well.

WOW!

Edited by Zinjo

• 3 weeks later...

Your model is fantastic!

I really like the shiny blue surfaces on the SDF-1 hull, but I think the Prometeus deck is way to shiny, and those groves are unrealistic. Think of the poor crew and VFs trying to move over it. :p

Also, it'll be good if you add some deep to the 'vernier' thrusters en the main cannon and near the main thrusters. I don't think it were supposed to be that flat.

@Dante: Yes, I am working on making it less shiny.

@Knight: lol, Thought nobody would notice it... it is a bug in the renderer :-P I already fixed it.

@woz: I am not sure I am following you.. what is a grove? Also, could you be more specific about the vernier thrusters? I am not sure what part of the model you are referring to. If you could circle it in photoshop with your comments that would be excellent, but if not, a text explanation would do. I don't know what is a vernier thruster :-P

@Lonewolf: yes.

@zinjo: Thanks!

I am trying to improve the model as much as I can!

mac

Meanwhile, a little teaser:

IPB Image

I almost forgot... Zinjo, the reason I did not put a black deck on top of the Prometheus is because I understand that actually it is a hybrid of a carrier and a submarine. I also think this is true for the Daedalus and that is why they are able to function in space, because they were designed to be also submersibles of some kind. So the deck is designed to go underwater and therefore it is different from present day carriers.

That being said, I may put a black texture on top of it, but it will not look like modern carriers, because they have tiles of this on top of them that are interchangeable (so that if one has holes it is easier to replace) and that would require a change in the model itself. We'll see if I have time to explore this.

Thanks for looking!

mac