Looking For Way To Play Japanese Ps2 Games

Dervish

The only thing I thing I now of with out soldering in a mod chip are the several diiferent swap discs which will also let you play back ups. Search Google for PS2 Swap Disc they sell from $19.99 to $49.99

I have a "HD Loader"'s on my kids 2 PS2's, which is pretty cool, you add a hard drive to your PS2 and back up your games up on it and never need to change out a disc the only draw back is online play isnt enabled and doesnt play imports but i think some of the newer versions can do this. I got the HD Loader 3 or 4 years ago before the banned the sale of it in the states. Bought a dozen of them and sold them off cause I knew people wouldnt go online and get them.

Edited by Naked

www.ps2fliptop.net has all you need to get started. In eight fruity flavors too! Fliptops are really easy to install. It takes about ten minutes tops. Just remember that you need to buy the swap discs as well. They do most of the work.

Dude,

That flip top and swap magic work like a charm. It was worth the purchase!!! Now from what I understand the new PS3 will not be coded and will be able to play games from all regions. I'm hoping once I upgrade that this is true and I can put in my Macross PS2 game with no problems.

Thanks for the replies, everyone :)

That is an interesting alternative to purchasing a Japanese PS2 -- it seems almost as invasive as the chipmod sodering method, though ;/ I'll check out the instructions a couple of more times, and hopefully I'll have faith in my abilities to do this without breaking my system :p

You won't break anything if ya go with the flip top and swap magic. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you. I am not mechanical or a computer guy. Besides, my PS2 was way out of warranty when I did this last fall. It was a piece of cake and I will never regret it. Especially when I'm playing my Macross game!

Be forewarned that HD Loader doesn't work for Macross... actually, it hasn't worked for a lot of new games I've been getting... Macross, SRW@3...

409531[/snapback]

Hi guys,

Sorry for butting in but I also know nothing about moding ps2's etc but I want to play SRW:A3 with the minimum of fuss.

My PS2 is UK spec and I've had it since around the time Metal Gear 2 came out, it's never been opened up or anything.

Will that Flip top and Swap Magic do the job or is SRW:A3 too new?

Thanks in advance for helping :)

Hi guys,

Sorry for butting in but I also know nothing about moding ps2's etc but I want to play SRW:A3 with the minimum of fuss.

My PS2 is UK spec and I've had it since around the time Metal Gear 2 came out, it's never been opened up or anything.

Will that Flip top and Swap Magic do the job or is SRW:A3 too new?

Thanks in advance for helping :)

409569[/snapback]

It depends...there are actually very few games that won't work on a flip top. The most important thing is to find out the total size of the game you want to play. This is called the TOC (Table of Contents). Just toss a game in your PC and look at the properties of the disk and you'll see the size.

When using a swap disk you need to have either the swap disk itself or an original game with a TOC equal or larger than the game you want to play.

The swap process works like this:

1. insert swap magic (the different versions represent different size TOC's...try to get 3.0 or higher

2. When prompted open the flip top and insert SRW A3

3. Game should play if not you have to try the 2nd method

2nd method

1. same

2. when prompted insert an original ps2 game with a very high TOC (devel may cry 3 works well)

3. When prompted swap for your SRW a3 game and you should be good to go.

As a last resort there are some other methods but I won't get into them here. I would say that these 2 methods will get 98% of games to work for you.

goto ps2nfo.com to find a cheap fliptop... they have a lot of advertisers that carry them. Also when you buy watch out for the shipping. there are a couple of companies that charge a lot for shipping.

While your ordering you might want to pick up breaker pro also...that way you can play your old PSX titles like the macross and SRW ones.

The most important thing is to find out the total size of the game you want to play.  This is called the TOC (Table of Contents).  Just toss a game in your PC and look at the properties of the disk and you'll see the size.

Actually, the table of contents merely tells you the size of the disk contents. It's not synonomous with content size.

You could conceivably create a copy-protection scheme revolving around a corrupt TOC(I believe it's a known scheme on CDDA), so it's a relevant distinction.

That and I'd like to try and prevent the console warez kiddies from corrupting yet another term like they have with ISO and ROM(Oh man, have they corrupted ROM).

goto ps2nfo.com to find a cheap fliptop... they have a lot of advertisers that carry them. 

Has anyone ever gone back and designed a nice-looking fliptop shell?

The lack of aesthetic effort on the replacement shells has always disappointed me.

I'd be more inclined to grab a busted PS2 off eBay or something, then go wild with a Dremel.

Didnt we have a thread about this sometime ago?

Anyways I bought that Swap Disc thingie and its quiet good I only played like PS2 imported game but it wasnt Macross. Im hoping to get it sometime.

Off Topic: Anyone find the PS3 too expensive for the price or it is priced too good for its hardware?

Edited by Dean

Off Topic: Anyone find the PS3 too expensive for the price or it is priced too good for its hardware?

410093[/snapback]

Been done over in the "other anime and scifi" section.

And yes, the PS3 is just too expensive. I don't care what's in it, it's a game machine.

I won't drop a half-grand on a game machine. For the console market to follow the folly of the PC gaming market is a very bad thing.

Hey guys, thanks for your nice suggestions. I know this went against what everyone said, but I did manage to pick up a Japanese PS2 for cheap -- does anyone know what kind of adapter I need exactly for it to work? I was under the impression that if the plug came with one of those "boxes" that had voltage, etc. written on it that it didn't need an adaptor, but I don't want to even try it out of fear of breaking this thing.

Hey guys, thanks for your nice suggestions. I know this went against what everyone said, but I did manage to pick up a Japanese PS2 for cheap -- does anyone know what kind of adapter I need exactly for it to work? I was under the impression that if the plug came with one of those "boxes" that had voltage, etc. written on it that it didn't need an adaptor, but I don't want to even try it out of fear of breaking this thing.

410317[/snapback]

My friend has the white Japanese one and just plugs it in. The voltage is the same. I have a Japanese Gamecube and I never had to buy another adapter.

410317[/snapback]

If you live in America, you're good to go.

If you live in Europe, you have problems because your electrical voltage isn't 110-120, and your TV isn't 60Hz or NTSC.

If you live somewhere else...

You may or may not have problems depending on your areas AC and TV standards

• 4 weeks later...
Dude,

That flip top and swap magic work like a charm. It was worth the purchase!!! Now from what I understand the new PS3 will not be coded and will be able to play games from all regions. I'm hoping once I upgrade that this is true and I can put in my Macross PS2 game with no problems.

408544[/snapback]

supposedly all the "next gen" systems aren't encoded game wise (360 included)

i dunno for sure as i haven't tried my 360 yet, but i do know the PSP plays games from anywhere (as i actually have a JP game or two working on my american PSP, no mods required), and only the movies are encoded by region.

personly i skipped all problems with this by buying a used Japanese PS2 while i was stationed there :p

figured why not...

Dude,

408544[/snapback]

supposedly all the "next gen" systems aren't encoded game wise (360 included)

i dunno for sure as i haven't tried my 360 yet, but i do know the PSP plays games from anywhere (as i actually have a JP game or two working on my american PSP, no mods required), and only the movies are encoded by region.

personly i skipped all problems with this by buying a used Japanese PS2 while i was stationed there :p

figured why not...

417577[/snapback]

360 IS region-coded.

I've heard jack-squat about the Wii's regions.

PS3 is the only home system I've seen claimed as region-free.

I shrieked at the price of the PS3 when it was first announced. I thought about just breaking down and getting a 360, but the basic model is $400 and doesn't come with the HD wire for my HDTV. So, I figured I might as well as wait for the PS3 and be able to play my Macross PS2 game on that as well. I guess if I'm gonna shell out $500.00-600.00 I might as well be satisfied.

I shrieked at the price of the PS3 when it was first announced. I thought about just breaking down and getting a 360, but the basic model is $400 and doesn't come with the HD wire for my HDTV. So, I figured I might as well as wait for the PS3 and be able to play my Macross PS2 game on that as well. I guess if I'm gonna shell out $500.00-600.00 I might as well be satisfied.

417822[/snapback]

wierd, i got my premium bundle 360 for $400 (HDTV Cables, and 12 gig HD)

the basic (without the 12 gig HD and cables) should only be $300

Edited by GrimlockCW

417822[/snapback]

What?

The "core" bundle is 300.

The component-video hard-drive-equipped "premium" version is the 400$ one.

417822[/snapback]

What?

The "core" bundle is 300.

The component-video hard-drive-equipped "premium" version is the 400$ one.

417855[/snapback]

beatcha to it :p