The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

Apart from kakizaki homage, the last episode was kinda dry and boring might i add. The rest of the other cast didn't even get any lines. And no tsuruya-san in swimsuit. :(

Pretty weak episode.

I liked it.

They're focusing on the changes, and the new perception. Which was one of the things I was worried about not coming across.

And twisting around at the end and NOT escaping the time loop lets us see how things have gone some of the other iterations.

As well as surprising the viewers, who at this point they probably assume have read everything available.

Honestly, I think they might've done Endless Eight better than the print version. Let's see how the next episode comes out.

Edited by JB0

This show never ceases to surprise me, not a lot of series could get away with congruent episodes back to back, but damn, I love the little mysteries they throw in. So much more entertaining than that episode of ST:TNG when they kept reliving the same day over & over before exploding, and I'm willing to bet the resolution will be much better tooi.

This show never ceases to surprise me, not a lot of series could get away with congruent episodes back to back, but damn, I love the little mysteries they throw in. So much more entertaining than that episode of ST:TNG when they kept reliving the same day over & over before exploding, and I'm willing to bet the resolution will be much better too.

Endless Eight is interesting in that it's the first time they've added more to the print stories instead of truncating them.

I think that's really the only reason(aside from a truly massive loyal fanbase) they can get away with the three-peat.

That and messing with the people that are saying "I know how this is gonna go, I read the book ages ago."

Pretty sure the ending to Endless Eight 2 sideswiped every last one of them, myself included.

Though, barring an entire season of Endless Eight(and I don't think the show can sustain THAT kind of gimmickry), we know how the NEXT episode ends.

Speaking of the resolution... I'd read the book before I make any broad generalizations.

They do homework all day.

Though I do recall the Trek episode in question being somewhat less than the franchise's finest moment.

Maybe they just want to stretch the current material a bit so they can save the later novels for a potential season 3? Personally I liked these two episodes. The despair and changes done were just amazing and the story is simple but powerfull sci-fi.

It reminds me of an inverted Groundhog Day (I just love that movie).

What's this about loops....was it something from 1st season that i forgot or is it somethign only mentioned in manga? Cuz the latest ep made no mention of it but ppl are talking about it.

What's this about loops....was it something from 1st season that i forgot or is it somethign only mentioned in manga? Cuz the latest ep made no mention of it but ppl are talking about it.

Endless Eight is a story about time loops. Pretty sure the latest episode DID say as much.

Endless Eight seems to be getting most of the book content in.

I wasn't aware the manga had progressed past the first season of anime, but then... I haven't been paying it much attention.

yes, when Koizumi, Yuki and Mikuru met up with Kyon, they discuss the loop. It had been running for 594 years, 17 juli till 31 august, 15,498 times. No wonder poor Yuki looked bored.

yes, when Koizumi, Yuki and Mikuru met up with Kyon, they discuss the loop. It had been running for 594 years, 17 juli till 31 august, 15,498 times. No wonder poor Yuki looked bored.

I suspect she ran out of books to read a few years ago, too.

Maybe she was reading something that ended on a cliffhanger and she was realizing she might never see how it ended?

Endless Eight is a story about time loops. Pretty sure the latest episode DID say as much.

Endless Eight seems to be getting most of the book content in.

I wasn't aware the manga had progressed past the first season of anime, but then... I haven't been paying it much attention.

Sorry i meant book.... not manga. I need a timestamp where they mentioned timeloops in the anime. Cuz I can't find it.

Timestamp please. The only thing i got when they met up with Kyon was Haruhi mentioning they should go to the pool.

Sorry i meant book.... not manga. I need a timestamp where they mentioned timeloops in the anime. Cuz I can't find it.

Timestamp please. The only thing i got when they met up with Kyon was Haruhi mentioning they should go to the pool.

Episode 13, time 13:57.

Koizumi: "We've entered an endless recursion of time.

14: 28.

"We are experiencing the same timeframe over and over again."

One two-week period, repeating endlessly.

Episode 13, time 13:57.

Koizumi: "We've entered an endless recursion of time.

14: 28.

"We are experiencing the same timeframe over and over again."

One two-week period, repeating endlessly.

Oh so its an episode from season 1?

I meant that the current season 2 episode made no mention about it....guess i have to rewatch it in sequence with season 2 to get what's going on or at least be intimate with the subject matter. :rolleyes:

No, I believe he meant the "currently airing episode 13".

They injected the new season 2 episodes within the Season 1 reruns remember? So Haruhi has a semi-totally new episode order.

Edited by shiroikaze

I meant that the current season 2 episode made no mention about it....guess i have to rewatch it in sequence with season 2 to get what's going on or at least be intimate with the subject matter. :rolleyes:

New 13, which is Endless Eight 2.

Not old 13, which was Day of Sagitarrius.

And DEFINITELY not original broadcast 13, which was Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi V.

I suppose you COULD also call it season 2, episode 3.

This franchise has the most unnecessarily convoluted episode numbering ever.

Edited by JB0

WATCH THE EPISODE AGAIN! :)

I don't think that'd help.

I think the problem is that BOTH episodes are just titled Endless Eight.

I've been pinning the "2" on when referring to the episode instead of the story arc, but... I'd bet he's only seen Endless Eight 1.

Edited by JB0

In unrelated news, just got my translation of the first haruhi novel, and pre-ordered the second novel (out in september?). Hopefully all will make it over here.

Paperback or hardcover?

I've got book 1 in hardcover. Didn't even consider the alternative.

Edited by JB0

New 13, which is Endless Eight 2.

Not old 13, which was Day of Sagitarrius.

And DEFINITELY not original broadcast 13, which was Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi V.

I suppose you COULD also call it season 2, episode 3.

This franchise has the most unnecessarily convoluted episode numbering ever.

*shoots self in head*

ok now it makes sense....there's another Endless Eight episode out....which is basically episode 3 season 2. Yes i've only seen ep 2.

DOH.....

AFK was only out till 2 so i didn't think there was a 3 out yet.

I just saw Endless Eight 2. Man, that was... bloody oppresive. I think I just became a Kyoto Animation fanboy; for a series as lighthearted as Haruhi, this has been the first time in a while I've felt truly uncomfortable, if not disturbed while watching a TV series (except for BSG, but that's a totally different magnitude of discomfort). Dissonance for the win!

It's a bit difficult to find a decent sub atm. Mazui and Gleam are fast but both lacking in video quality and translation. Think I'll just wait till the a.f.k. ones, for the next episodes (if I can muster the patience). Other groups seemed to have given up on the project. Yuki is good video wise, but is lacking a translator, so will be slow for the time being.

Endless Eight is interesting in that it's the first time they've added more to the print stories instead of truncating them.

I think that's really the only reason(aside from a truly massive loyal fanbase) they can get away with the three-peat.

Actually, that's not ENTIRELY true. Even leaving out "Someday in the Rain," they added some extra/different material into a couple stories, especially Lone Island, and a bit in Live a Live.

To be honest, I like the episode version of Lone Island a lot better, at least as far as the ending goes. The scenes of partying/drinking got cut, but the ending of the book was rather... lame. The mystery kinda just sputtered out, whimpered, and died. The ending in the show was much better, since they trapped them in their own game, and gave us a Phoenix Wright homage to boot. Certain bits of that ending were very visual, and wouldn't have worked in the book.

The scene about the shadow person also got added in, and what I wonder is if that will be tied in later somehow.

Live a Live was changed quite a bit too, mainly with regards to the concert scene. I dunno if you'd call it adding to the story, since they had to cut the concert short, but they added to what they pulled off. The band in the book had only 3 members, and Haruhi and Yuki split the job of the lead singer/guitarist, with Haruhi only singing. They also played a full band set, not just the two songs in the anime.

Frankly, I don't think the novel holds a candle to this episode, since you just can't do a concert justice in a book. Even condensing it to two songs, I think the effect of the entire scene was much better, and dare I say a bit more believable with only two songs, while still making Haruhi look like she was doing the impossible (even more so, since now she was winging it with lyrics AND guitar).

I've been holding off watching Endless Eight so far, and I might try to wait out the entire season, as long as it might be. I kind of want to just marathon the entire thing, rather than wait for the next episode.

Paperback or hardcover?

I've got book 1 in hardcover. Didn't even consider the alternative.

Considering the difference was literally only a couple dollars, and I intent to hang on to these, I'm going hardcover. Of course my girlfriend latches onto the "15 & up" on the back, at which point I stressed the "& up!" :)

Not just next week. The entire rest of the season will be Endless Eight over and over.

The raging that would be done.

It's starting to look like it :p

Considering the difference was literally only a couple dollars, and I intent to hang on to these, I'm going hardcover. Of course my girlfriend latches onto the "15 & up" on the back, at which point I stressed the "& up!" :)

Hey, that "& up" is important!

I have no Haruhi experience outside of the animation, so without any idea what these new episodes may or may not be based upon, I would say the girl doesn't have her homework done.

Oh, no. Haruhi truly DOES have her homework done like she bragged about.

She's the good-at-everything supercharacter, after all.

Without knowing the resolution either, given her list, and placing this inbetween remote island & live alive, I'd have to wager she really just wants to do an activity Kyon wants to do. Since he has yet to actually speak up with said activity, time keeps looping back.

Will he ask her to come over & help him with his homework? That to me would seem the best solution. The issue her would seem to be her frustration with Kyon's refusal to open up to her, especially after the kiss. Though I can't help but think Yuki's mask is somehow a clue to the resolution, especially since she finally wore it differently.

Haven't read the novels either, I think it's Kyon's homework as well.

Koizumi pretty much hints that it's up to Kyon to break the deadlock. Mikuru's request for gold fish scooping shows Haruhi doesn't mind helping the brigade members. Yuki is not doing anything and blantantly knows the answer. The only reason times she doesn't take action is when something has to happen between Kyon and Haruhi. Mask is a hint, but I don't get the reference.

The 30th in the cafe the point of no return, which points to Kyon again. If there was another activity Haruhi wanted it could have just been mentioned in the first meeting. Only thing left to be done after the 30th is Kyon's homework.

So why would Haruhi reset time? My guess is Kyon got expelled or something on the 1st day of school and Haruhi, in an attempt to protect him, turns back time.