Ps2 Game - Did Anyone Notice

Phren

Seriously, in the second part of the training mission, when you're beating on those valks in the ground battle, they show up as being '1R's

I can't get the best look at them, but I think they look different then the A's, so it's not a typo.. I didn;t notice untill I played that part a few times

Is this a joke? :lol:

Edited by Phren

The cool thing is that you eventually get to pilot a '1R; all of the strengths and speed of the '1S, but with less armor...

The cool thing is that you eventually get to pilot a '1R; all of the strengths and speed of the '1S, but with less armor...

406449[/snapback]

Reasons Battlecry ruled:

The 1J was the best plane.

Millia's paint scheme was available, so you could fly a Millia 1J.

You could fly a QRau in VS mode!

Cel-shading yay!

Free control of VF mode.

One of the first decently fun 3D "Macross" games, and the only one that's readily available in the US.

Reasons Battlecry sucked:

Extremely low flight ceiling limited use of fighter mode in many stages.

Very limited use of FAST packs outside of VS mode.

GBP and QRau in VS mode only!

No player-controllable destroids, even in VS mode. :(

Way too many defensive missions.

That QBerting "chase the shuttles through the canyons" mission(which would've been much more fun with a higher flight ceiling).

Robotech.

Things I shouldn't hold against Battlecry, but do:

1-shot kill cheat makes defensive missions VERY hard if you aren't careful(but very easy if you are). 1 stray bullet brings the stadium down on Minmay's head... even if it IS RT Minmay, it still fails the level.

Minmay can't be killed unless you drop the stadium on her. Nor can any other "squishie."

Damn it 'JB, you're the only other person on this planet that sees the good in this game...

I will say that it's a LOT better than VF-X, VF-X2, and M3, which were all disasters. I still hate that they borrowed the low ceiling, plane on a string mechanic from the crappy Japanese games, but it is better than them. That said, the "defend a paper cup from a nuclear bomb" missions are the OPPOSITE of fun on every level and horrible ill-conceived. BAD BAD BAD.

Also gerwalk controls like crap.

Other than that I like it.

I liked Invasion MUCH better though, but apparently I'm the only person on earth who liked Invasion. I've yet to play the PS2 Macross game, but Macross VO remains my favorite Macross game.

Damn it 'JB, you're the only other person on this planet that sees the good in this game...

406459[/snapback]

Partially because I approach it as a game with Macross in it instead of Macross with a game in it.

A lot of the faults are somewhat standard fare for video games.

The biggie WAS the flight ceiling. Most of those levels were designed around a specific mode, just because standard video game design doesn't handle mixed-mode player characters well.

The only notable exceptions I can think of were some of the boss battles.

Graveyard(QRau shoots female sidekick down into a lake) especially was large enough for fighter combat while still being cluttered enough for effective GERWALK and battroid usage, and I usually use all 3 modes during that fight.

It might've been handled better overall if they'd recruited Cavia, developers of Drakengard, Drakengard 2, and Bullet Witch(soon to be released in Japan). All 3 are mixed-mode gameplay, and while not directly comparable to Macross, they're a lot closer than anyone else has done. Bulet Witch especially from what I've seen.

Except I don't think Cavia was even around back then. So never mind.

That said, the "defend a paper cup from a nuclear bomb" missions are the OPPOSITE of fun on every level and horrible ill-conceived. BAD BAD BAD.

I had fun with a few defensive missions. Just not most of them.

The freaking Cat's Eyes can all go to hell.

Also gerwalk controls like crap.

Zero the throttle, exclusively use boost for forward motion. It controls somewhat decently that way, and becomes a fairly fun vehicle. Was actually my favorite mode overall.

I liked Invasion MUCH better though, but apparently I'm the only person on earth who liked Invasion. I've yet to play the PS2 Macross game, but Macross VO remains my favorite Macross game.

Someday I might give Invasion a chance. I just haven't felt compelled to get it yet, especially with the bad reviews it landed.

The REAL dog of the US games was the GBA title. I can't imagine Invasion being worse than that one, especially not if the same team worked on it as Battlecry.

I was referring to the Macross game, obviously, the 1R is in Battlecry, it was made FOR battlecry (I believe). That's why I asked. My HUD says "R", unless my TV sucks. I'll go lok one more time.

And I hate Battlecry. Just everything was okay. Fighter mode worked, battliod mode worked, ect. Macross played almost the same way but made them all more fun somehow. The protect stuff missions were all terrible. The instant speed that battroid -> fighter change gave in Battlecry was nice, if only they let you really use it, instead of amounting to a dash feature in ground missions..

Edited by Phren

Umm, VFX2 was NOT a failure. In fact, it is arguably one of the best Macross games made to date.

406539[/snapback]

Everyone knows the best Macross game is the Macross II arcade game.

I'm pretty ambivalent towards the PS2 Macross game. It's decent, but not extraordinary in any way. Battlecry had faults, but it also had a lot of charm. It certainly had more character than the PS2 Macross game, which is probably why I can remember playing through Battlecry but not Macross.

The only complaint I had about the PS2 SDF Macross game was that it was tooo damn short!

You had all these great fighters, great physics and superior controls to Battlecry and it was over before you knew it.... :blink:

Yeah you can play in non-campaign missions, but they are all rehashes of the ones you've already played, just with different colored Valks.

Well worth modding my PS2 for!

I was referring to the Macross game, obviously, the 1R is in Battlecry, it was made FOR battlecry (I believe). That's why I asked. My HUD says "R", unless my TV sucks. I'll go lok one more time.

406567[/snapback]

I'm just guessing, but it might be the VF-1B. Aka: the 'half-S upgrage' to the VF-1A.

It has 4 head-lasers like the VF-1S.

http://macross.anime.net//mecha/united_nat.../vf1/index.html

Scroll down to the variants for further details.

Umm, VFX2 was NOT a failure. In fact, it is arguably one of the best Macross games made to date.

406539[/snapback]

I downloaded it and hated it. I'm glad I did not pay for it. It's better than VF-X, granted, but it's still a mess. The only reason M3 is worse is the framerate problems. It's not a good game by any stretch of the imagination with its shitty plane on a string and low ceiling crap, and not that great control, and unimpressive graphics when compared with other PlayStation games of the time. I disagree.

It pisses me off to no end when when I fly and fly and fly and my plane NEVER GETS ANYWHERE. That also pissed me off in Battlecry.

That is part of why I like Macross VO. I actaully GET places when I fly. The only places you really can't get to are the planet backgrounds, but I don't care about that too much. I can actually fly to spaceships and stuff, not just float around in unchanging space while poorly rendered Zentradi or whatever shoot at me.

Of course, the pre-alpha E3 demo of Robotech: Crystal Dreams still wins on this count, what with accurately modelling the distance to Saturn and being able to fly into the planet if you're REALLY patient.

Edited by Ginrai

Everyone knows the best Macross game is the Macross II arcade game.

The timer kills it for me. Shooters should be about shooting stuff, not racing to collect tokens.

I like the original DYRL game the best of the arcade trilogy. Plus gets excessively hostile too fast.

My favorite is one of the console sidescrollers. FamiCom Macross, Super Famicom Scrambled Valkyrie, and PS/Saturn DYRL.

Scrambled Valkyrie is probably the best overall, but I play the FamiCom game more often.

Of course, the pre-alpha E3 demo of Robotech: Crystal Dreams still wins on this count, what with accurately modelling the distance to Saturn and being able to fly into the planet if you're REALLY patient.

HAHA!

I should download that demo sometime. It really looked like a promising game, and it's a real shame GameTek never got it out the door.

ps2 wise if you get both battlecry and macross  you will find thae battlecry seems more for kiddies and macross is more for adults.

406800[/snapback]

The Macross PS2 game is made for crazy Japanese video game players who somehow managed to be perfect at a game and unlock everything!

ps2 wise if you get both battlecry and macross  you will find thae battlecry seems more for kiddies and macross is more for adults.

406800[/snapback]

The Macross PS2 game is made for crazy Japanese video game players who somehow managed to be perfect at a game and unlock everything!

406818[/snapback]

Unlockables are generally hard to earn.

They're a reward for skilled players, regardless of nationality.

I hate the fact that so many modern games just roll over and GIVE you everything. I like my games to fight back.

406539[/snapback]

I downloaded it and hated it. I'm glad I did not pay for it. It's better than VF-X, granted, but it's still a mess. The only reason M3 is worse is the framerate problems. It's not a good game by any stretch of the imagination with its shitty plane on a string and low ceiling crap, and not that great control, and unimpressive graphics when compared with other PlayStation games of the time. I disagree.

406772[/snapback]

I'm with Skull. some of he levels were eh, but others were great fun, with some of the most diverse VFs available. From the VF-1X to the VF-22 and the VF-11 Full armor, you enjoyed each for their quirks. The flight controls were a great mix between arcade and sorta real flight sim... Changing modes had a great effect on how you played, and the fighter moved plausable through the air, unlike in DMVF-X (just not on a map)

406800[/snapback]

406818[/snapback]

Unlockables are generally hard to earn.

They're a reward for skilled players, regardless of nationality.

I hate the fact that so many modern games just roll over and GIVE you everything. I like my games to fight back.

406830[/snapback]

Actually, once I found how to unlock things, I found the game be fairly easy to unlock most extras. And I like how you had to use some of them to unlock others (mostly Max). If they gave you everything easily, you'd have nothing to shoot for and no real reason to play using what you got once you got a new plane.

And looking again, the game lists training enemies as 'V-1R' And they look like a small 'eye'd 1A, with either no, or a very short head laser.

I'm with Skull. some of he levels were eh, but others were great fun, with some of the most diverse VFs available. From the VF-1X to the VF-22 and the VF-11 Full armor, you enjoyed each for their quirks. The flight controls were a great mix between arcade and sorta real flight sim... Changing modes had a great effect on how you played, and the fighter moved plausable through the air, unlike in DMVF-X (just not on a map)

406841[/snapback]

Diversity in mecha does not equal quality in game. M3 has a huge variety of mecha to choose from, and it still sucks. Mix between arcade and sorta real flight sim. Yeah, jack of all trades, master of none. Mediocre at best. You're also totally ignoring my criticism about plane on a string never getting anywhere, stupid low ceiling, and crappy graphics.

• 3 weeks later...

i have played both VF-X2 and battlecry and in my opinion an ideal macross game would have the graphics featured in star wars: rogue squadron 2, the game play of battlecry in ground missions and the gameplay of VF-X2 in fighter mode. also it should have every single VF with all version for each model,

They really need to make a good Macross game for the computer which can handle mix-mode environments better along with having better controls such as a joy stick and pedals which I use for BF2. Well, maybe they can actually make a good one for the PS3 or Xbox 360. They also need to find a better design studio.

406459[/snapback]

Hey! If I'd never bought this game years ago I'd never have even learned what Macross was! Hats off to this game in my book.