I'll Never Forgive Them For....

You know, I really feel some of your guys' pain.  I haven't experienced anything as horrific as some of what you've described, and the women in my life have always been understanding about my stuff... but I've had my dad throw out things here and there that were important to me at the time in the name of "cleaning" and "organizing".

It's something that I have a hard time understanding, why some folks just don't have respect for someone else's stuff.  Feels like that sort of thing should be common sense.  I wonder if it's because some parents didn't have childhoods filled with toys, so they don't quite understand what these chunks of plastic actually mean to their kids.

Okay, I did let a friend borrow a bunch of my Star Wars figures, including the ROTJ Luke that was my favorite.  At some point he either decided he wasn't giving them back or broke/lost enough of them to make that difficult.  All I remember was that I had to get my parents to drive me over in order to exchange back all of the belongings we had of each other, and by then, the friendship had kind of soured so it ended up being a last shot hostage exchange of sorts.  Luke never made it though, and I never found a replacement.

403697[/snapback]

I can feel for ya on the parent factor on the demise of our stuff. Had a 1/100 vf-1s back in the 80s, he took it out to the range and he shot it with a 308 then blew up whats left with a blasting cap. To make matters worst he went out and retrive whats left of the head and dropped it in my hands.

Zentrandude, your dad sucks.

Actually a number of you, your parents suck for the horror stories that have been told. But man Zentrandude, your dad sounds either sadistic, or you must have done something really bad. :p

edit: not that most things kids do earns having one of your favorite toys blown up by a parent, that's just cruel

Edited by Sumdumgai

Damn, my parents sound like the exact opposite of a lot of those mentioned here. My dad always told me I should take really good care of my toys because one day they'd be collectors items. I wasn't concerned with that at all as a kid, but he was right, they did become collectors items...and I'M the collector! :D

but I've had my dad throw out things here and there that were important to me at the time in the name of "cleaning" and "organizing".

Cleaning and Organizing is what they all said. If your father came home and found half his beer can collection missing would he have accepted your story of spring cleaning? The spring cleaning bugs effects them all but its always the property of others that needs to be gone.

I have no one to blame for this but me! :rolleyes:

I once got a rare die cast Corgi Batmobile for my birthday, with "red" wheels!

Well at the time I turned my nose up at it as it had "stupid" red wheels (though I didn't tell my mom...).

Well I decided to bury it DEEP in my sandbox (we are talking digging up the yard deep and create a gravel pit like my uncle worked in. Well I decided to fill it in at one point and remembered AFTER that I had left several toy cars buried at the bottom.

I tried a few times to recover the cars, but alas they were in their graves permanently as I couldn't find them.

Now, when I see how truly rare that toy car is, I kick myself everytime... :rolleyes:

Actually a number of you, your parents suck for the horror stories that have been told.  But man Zentrandude, your dad sounds either sadistic, or you must have done something really bad. :p

edit: not that most things kids do earns having one of your favorite toys blown up by a parent, that's just cruel

403870[/snapback]

cruel yes but thinking back he just wanted me to grow up, he was working since he was 14 and since I was 8 at the time he was preparing me by killing my childhood with a bang. At the time he also made me cut tons of wood with a spilting maul and stack them cords apon cords, learn to survive in the woods alone with a pistol and one magazine in the dead of winter (good thing it was the mild winter of washington state instead of the bitter cold of michigan he tells me about), and gut and clean out every single animal he killed during animal and fishing season.

Strangly enough I became a computer geek changing out electron boards, soldering stuff replacing computer components as my hobby.

I can feel for ya on the parent factor on the demise of our stuff.  Had a 1/100 vf-1s back in the 80s, he took it out to the range and he shot it with a 308 then blew up whats left with a blasting cap. To make matters worst he went out and retrive whats left of the head and dropped it in my hands.

403863[/snapback]

That is just wrong on so many levels. I'm half wondering if you don't actually live somewhere in the south where your dad is actually also your bully big brother. :ph34r:

Cleaning and Organizing is what they all said. If your father came home and found half his beer can collection missing would he have accepted your story of spring cleaning? The spring cleaning bugs effects them all but its always the property of others that needs to be gone.

Sigh... not to mention the countless times things went missing or slightly broken because they felt the need to clean up my room to impress their guests. I sometimes wonder if they know what that hinged slab of wood called "a door" is for. :p

All because of a really stupid idea of how to get me to clean up my room.

403523[/snapback]

No offense but reading about situations like this kind of makes me wonder ... who was the less sensible one. The person that broke a toy unintentionally or the person who knew if they just did what they were told, they'd get what they so deeply desired. :huh: Again, no offense is intended, but if I saw something like this about to happen today, I'd tell the kid to just suck it up and do it already.

403854[/snapback]

I think you mis-interpreted the story. It wasn't to be a "reward" for cleaning my room it was "holding something dear to me (that was already mine) for ransom".

Hmm...In 1988 I had stored the gunpod, missiles, instruction booklet, mini-catalog and box of my Takatoku VF-1S, my first Macross toy, in my closet. One day my mother took it upon herself to throw out anything in that closet not placed on a hanger, including the 1S's box. Back then I slept with my VF-1S so she didn't get to throw that out.

I finally replaced the gunpod and missiles with the advent of e-bay, however I still look badly on Mom for doing what she did...

Actually a number of you, your parents suck for the horror stories that have been told.  But man Zentrandude, your dad sounds either sadistic, or you must have done something really bad. :p

403870[/snapback]

cruel yes but thinking back he just wanted me to grow up, he was working since he was 14 and since I was 8 at the time he was preparing me by killing my childhood with a bang. At the time he also made me cut tons of wood with a spilting maul and stack them cords apon cords, learn to survive in the woods alone with a pistol and one magazine in the dead of winter (good thing it was the mild winter of washington state instead of the bitter cold of michigan he tells me about), and gut and clean out every single animal he killed during animal and fishing season.

Strangly enough I became a computer geek changing out electron boards, soldering stuff replacing computer components as my hobby.

403977[/snapback]

Talk about a rite of passage..... <_<

I mean no offence, but your dad has problems.......is he trying to traumatise his 8 year old kid for life?

And i like the conclusion to all that "bootcamp childhood". :lol::lol::lol:

Back in the mid 1980s my brother and I amassed a gi-normous Star Wars collection before switing to Transformers. When we switched to Transformers my parents told us they were putting all of our Star Wars toys in the garage to store them. We found out a few months later that that was code for selling them at a flea market for next to nothing. After I outgrew the transformers my parents moved them into the garage... and they still are in my garage now due to the tyrade my brother and I threw over the Star Wars toys.

I avoided the throw-outs, garage sales, organizing, spring cleaning, and etc.

However, I did manage to lose an entire bunker of cobra figures. I buried them and forgot where. I dug and dug and never found 'em.

They're probably still in that tomb...

I had Jetfire, but only for 3 days. Best toy ever. But he was faulty and fell apart. I didn't abuse him or anything, I was good with my toys.

Anyway, we returned him to the store where they determined it was, indeed, defective. Unfortunately, they were all sold out so they couldn't replace him. Worst birthday ever.

I never did get Jetfire again, but now I have a Bandai re-issue Max and Millia set so it's "Jetfire who?" :lol:

Thanks, Bandai!!!