New Robotech Shadow Chronicles Vid

I've read this in one of those many Macross/Robotech boards. I dont remember which one it was but perhaps someone else also read it and it does. Tommy Yune showed some merchandising ideas to Harmony Gold since he was a comic writer and he has some ideas related to comics and other things probably. Then he was hired by Harmony Gold and he decided to bring his brother, Steve Yune to be the webmaster of robotech.com . Then Steve Yune changed his name to Steve Yun and that's probably the fanboy hired to run the website you are talking about

You know what is strange? "End of the Circle " was the first sign for me that I admitted Robotech was messed up. I must have thought up twenty different fan fic conclusions before the internet existed. Sure the sentinels wasn't great either but I was still a fan of robotech for many years after. I'm still confused by following the Sentinels/End of the circle themes.

I'm still confused about why they thought 3 unrelataed anime series with their stories mashed together somehow required an ending that fed right into it's beginning. I haven't read any of the books, but in my younger days of raising hell on robotech forums, I seem to recall some discussion about macek's original idea being that the SDF-3 & crew become the "robotech masters," by traveling back in time somehow. That whole concept seemed inane and retarded at the same time, still does. So naturally, I'm curious just how much of that idiocy they're still going to use.

Perhaps the writers of Megazone 23 Part III are truly to blame, as they put out that bad karma by ruining Shogo's character in a similar manner.

I'm still confused about why they thought 3 unrelataed anime series with their stories mashed together somehow required an ending that fed right into it's beginning. I haven't read any of the books, but in my younger days of raising hell on robotech forums, I seem to recall some discussion about macek's original idea being that the SDF-3 & crew become the "robotech masters," by traveling back in time somehow. That whole concept seemed inane and retarded at the same time, still does. So naturally, I'm curious just how much of that idiocy they're still going to use.

Perhaps the writers of Megazone 23 Part III are truly to blame, as they put out that bad karma by ruining Shogo's character in a similar manner.

In End of the Circle, the SDF-3 is sucked into some weird alternate dimension. These "shadows" (in the book they are glowing orbs of light) abduct Valkyries and their pilots. Then, the kids on the SDF-3 start chanting for some reason... I can't even remember why. I think that the SDF-3s protoculture drives were taken from the ship. The Haydonites back in realspace are stirring up trouble and Tirol is transforming (wtf?) and going to some blackhole or something.

Then, Minmay and Zor Prime (or one of the Zor guys) are on some planet in this alternate dimension where they find the SDF-1s protoculture drives and theres these little bunny things running around.

So somehow, the SDF-3 gets back to Earth and it is happily ever after. I imagine that TSC will cover the ship's journey back home in this alternate dimension thing.

I just re-read that thing this spring and that is all that sticks out to me. As you can tell, it sucked.

In End of the Circle, the SDF-3 is sucked into some weird alternate dimension. These "shadows" (in the book they are glowing orbs of light) abduct Valkyries and their pilots. Then, the kids on the SDF-3 start chanting for some reason... I can't even remember why. I think that the SDF-3s protoculture drives were taken from the ship. The Haydonites back in realspace are stirring up trouble and Tirol is transforming (wtf?) and going to some blackhole or something.

Then, Minmay and Zor Prime (or one of the Zor guys) are on some planet in this alternate dimension where they find the SDF-1s protoculture drives and theres these little bunny things running around.

So somehow, the SDF-3 gets back to Earth and it is happily ever after. I imagine that TSC will cover the ship's journey back home in this alternate dimension thing.

I just re-read that thing this spring and that is all that sticks out to me. As you can tell, it sucked.

Whew! I'm glad I skipped that. I had the Sentinels & EotC books at one point and just barely go through Sentinels. Before I could even force myself to start reading EotC, we had a yard sale & I decided to put them for sale. Sold the entire lot for $5. I wonder if the guy who bought them is still cursing me today? :p

Saw it today, it was being played at a movie theater on delmar in st louis. i would have to say as an american anime, it was alright. its plot was better then robotech. but not by much. the bad guys are still looking for "protoculture"

to enjoy this movie you kinda need to drop your knowledge of physics at the door along with ties to macross to enjoy this movie. it was a little bit of mospeada and gundam seed mixed together wise. it reintroduces a few old characters with some new faces. Rick hunter is in it in an "admiral janeway" type role along with a few of mospeadas characters. it basically picks up during the last episode of mospeada and there is a new enemy to fight. and in lord of the rings style there is a cliff hanger.

the mixture of regular animation and computer animation was ok. i would have to say almost to the caliber of gundam seed. but the speaking on some of the characters was off in how the lips moved. and the phyisics on how the alphas moved in space was off because they flew like they were in an atmosphere not in a gravity less vacuum.

i would have to say all in all it was an average anime. worth any effort to see it for under 10$

Edited by buddhafabio

God only knows. Tommy had General Edwards mutated into some giant Oni that looked like it belonged in InuYasha. This was supposedly 'a good storytelling choice' or some such inane drivel. <_<

Place blame where it lies. That was the the Waltrip brothers' idea for their revised version of the end of Sentinels which was never used in the original Sentinels comic since it was cancelled when Academy lost the Robotech comic license. Prelude was largely a quick way to let the Waltrips finish the Sentinels comic and setup Shadow Chronicles, and the Waltrips worked on it. They are the source of the mutated Edwards, not Tommy Yune.

OMG... tell me that CG is still not fully rendered, right?

Plus all that awful dialouge. Aren't they suppose to make you want to see this thing. Especially when they so proudly pimped Chase Masterson then that crappy voice with the really cheesy line, "It appears that everything is not what it seems.."

Feb 2007 cannot come early enough... or could it?

As confirmed by Robotech.com & Navarre Corp.(parent company to Funimation): ROBOTECH: The Shadow Chronicles DVD street date is 02/06/07.

[attachmentid=38372]

Could have sworn I said that a couple weeks ago...

Aside from the official CG in the trailer, Janice looks like a crack whore. This is going to be the best robotech movie ever!

Could have sworn I said that a couple weeks ago...

Aside from the official CG in the trailer, Janice looks like a crack whore. This is going to be the best robotech movie ever!

Well, the official sites have now confirmed it; so whaddaya gonna do? As for the quality of the animation, y'know it was originally intended for tv. I guess at the time HG couldn't nail down a decent television contract but that might change. Listen, I'm not expecting Spirited Away or even Macross ZERO just a pretty cool ROBOTECH story.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Well, the official sites have now confirmed it; so whaddaya gonna do? As for the quality of the animation, y'know it was originally intended for tv. I guess at the time HG couldn't nail down a decent television contract but that might change. Listen, I'm not expecting Spirited Away or even Macross ZERO just a pretty cool ROBOTECH story.

What's that got to do with Janice looking like a robotic crackwhore in the trailer!

What's that got to do with Janice looking like a robotic crackwhore in the trailer!

Well I wasn't talking about Janice; you said you already mention the street date already. I'm saying HG & Funimation has confirmed it. Now it's OFFICIAL. NOW for the animation quality, that's your opinion she looks like crackwhore. I think she looks like an android so let's agree to dissagree. The show was geared for television release not theatrical or direct to video.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Well i just read through this thread for the first time and also looked at thge trailers of the film from various sites. Looks o.k will have to see it when I can. Seeing the RT.com site again reminded me that Due to Robotech (the first time i have ever written it corectly at MW) I got in to Mecha and due to my working at IBM and getting bored on night waiting for the Bank of Japan to finnish their tests I refound Macross ue to RT.com Uptill then I had only eyes for Transformers and Patlabor.

I can only hope that it wont suck and that, it will respawn the interest in Macross as well. That would be a great 25th aniversary for Macross.

I have higher hope for this than the new Transformers film.

At least RT.com is now acknowleging Macross, Last time I went there i got banned from the forums for sayin Macross

Edited by big F

Oh man, does that CG look cheesy. Then again, so does the cell animation & the acting. The CG scenes just looked hard to follow: they just had too much movement. It also seemed that all the CG was just there as an attention grabber: "look at me, I'm CG". I'll probably still watch, but so far, this just doesn't seem like it was worth waiting 20 years.

Oh, and that Janice android really does look like she could dethrone Mrs. Cartman on the cover of Crack Whore Magazine. :blink:

:D ..........Aren't we being a tad bit cynical?...... :rolleyes:

You think? You mean the crappy comic books and that trailer still gives you hope? I enjoyed Robotech as a kid, no shame in that, but after all the let downs that HG has delivered (I'd say 100% post the original series), I'm surprised that there still people that are not as "cynical".

wow... that trailer was so bad.. forgetting the CG, the voice acting and the dialogue, just the action sequences shown seemed so stiff and boring. robots fhanging in space and shooting brightly colored toothpicks at each other never looked so bad or so fake.

I thought the animation was supposed to be OVA quality? I find it funny because it's being touted as the "award winning Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles".

Holy crap was that ugly! That CG was state of the art like 10 years ago, probably 15! I can't believe no one's mentioned how ugly it was in the reviews. And I don't know who Chase Masterson is, but she sounds very annoying. dialogue was definitely cheesy. I came into the trailer with an open mind because everyone's been saying how it's not that bad... well that trailer either highlighted all the worst parts or it really is that bad and people are in denial.

vinnie

First of all... the voice acting and the dialogue are terrible!!!

"Oh Yea!" and "my wife is going to kill me!" are like copied from Family Guy. Geez... that's not right for a sci-fic anime ova. :wacko:

The 3D is not impressive if i need to pay $2x dollars for it. It is only around the level of Transformer Galaxy Force, maybe even less. The frame rate looks below average as well. :huh:

The only good thing is the 2D. The scene with Janice thou... hmm... how her face changed looking, that's a common error for low budget anime.

Why didn't they hire Makoto Shinkai's group, they do far better 2D & 3D CG in their indepenet projects, and with a much shorter turn around time. The battles in Voices of a Distant star were much better than what's in this trailer, and the overall animation quality of A Place Promised in our Early Days easily blows this away.

It looks far more like HG scalped the remaining hardware from when Netter Digital went under, than hired DR MOVIE who this doesn't even remotely look like). Definately fishy!

Edited by Keith

Eh, I didn't think that preview was all that bad... but maybe that's because I've had the benefit of reading all the comments here and expecting the worst. I felt the line used to show off Chase was pretty funny but ya gotta remember she's voicing an android. It'd be like trying to find a really cool line spoken by Data in a Star Trek episode. Otherwise the animation definitely wasn't good but the 2D stuff was plenty passible and the characters looked attractive enough. Some of the 3D didn't seem all that bad but man, the parts of CG that are bad are always so jarring.

I could offer lots of theories on why this doesn't look more spectacular but there's no point. It's all going to boil down to the story. Being a little too familiar with the RT universe I'm probably going to fall for all the fanboy service (obscure references) and like this more than most MWers.

Yeah, go to hell DR Movie! How dare those stupid hacks animate for Macross Plus, Hellsing, Reign, Heroic Legend of Arslan (god that one is awesome), Ghost in the Shell, they even did in-betweens on Yukikaze. Those talentless losers.

And you were saying...? Yup, that CG looks sub-subpar.