New Robotech Shadow Chronicles Vid

i think i understand the anger towards HG though, i mean i would be slightly pissed if they took lets say Zeta Gundam, and Macross 7, mashed em together and basically made a whole new series.

In other words it would be as painful as watching Double Zeta Gundam all over again.

My source is common sense. You think animation just magically appeared in Harmony Gold's offices and they figured "Hey, someone here must have designed this?"

I understand that some people really really dislike HG, but the common belief held here on MW that everyone involved with HG is some fire-breathing heartless bastard who's entire existence is focused on creating lies about a 20 year old cartoon and duping anime fans into believing something other than the obvious truth is ridiculous and downright ignorant.

I dislike HG because of the way they do business with Robotech & Macross.

And my comment was based on the attitude that some of these people have towards Robotech and the original japanese shows, so don't be calling people names just because u feel like or have a different opinion than mine :rolleyes:

BRL, great interview, I like Greg's opinion about Leonard

: Yes, we wrote, and recorded, for him to be regarded as a tough, no nonsense, military man.

I wish the spanish fans could look at this as most of the time, they think that Leonard is some type of villain trying to take over earth and kill everyone in the REF. If you don't mind, I would like to translate that interview.

regards...

I wonder if Tony is planing in going the way of "Oh yeah, we create something new from scratch, and thanks to us, Macross became a major hit through out the whole world, blah blah blah" when he creates his documentary or if he is actually planing to do some major research on the subject....

407524[/snapback]

Don't be stupid. The people originally involved with Robotech are perfectly aware of the origins of the cartoon.

407754[/snapback]

I keep forgetting that on the internet, people will always deviate from the core argument. Strawman.

The original question was whether Tony will do research for his documentary or will it be a propaganda piece for HG. The question is a valid one and to be called stupid for it is to lack insight into the nature of the question as well as a lack of manners. To presume that he [Tony] knows everything about SDF:Macross, SDC:SC and Genesis Climber Mospeada already just because he was a voice actor for Robotech is a ridiculous assumption. He may be more involved than just as voice talent and so may know more, but then the onus of proving that is on the person asserting that he does know more.

To assume that anyone who works for HG doesn't know that the origins of "robotech" stem from Japan is insanity.

407754[/snapback]

It wouldn't be a problem if the only mention of the history of Robotech in the documentary is that it used Japanese animation because even as a kid, I recognized the stylisitc elements of Robotech as being Japanese. I just didn't understand why the quality of the story went down after RT:TMS. But there is so much more to that history. Like how three series that comprise Robotech, or the distribution of rights for Macross and why we aren't getting the newer releases of Macross in the US, or how Macross is and remains a critical success in Japan and in some parts of the world before Robotech even showed up. Will this be covered in the documentary or will it just go and say how Robotech popularized Japanese animation and look at all the cool new Robotech things that are coming out.

I'm not even going to argue this. I can't even think of an analogy for an assertion so ridiculous. Asking someone to cite this, is like asking me to cite how exactly I figured out how to utter my first word as an infant. I'm not sure how I figured it out, but I'm 100% positive that I indeed spoke a first word.

I thought my assembly line analogy worked quite well. The further removed on the hierarchy you are from the executive decisions being made, the less likely you are to be informed about why and how such decisions are made. How far up the hierarchy was Tony that he would know the ins and outs of everything about Robotech?

And really, my original post was merely to point out yellowlightman's callousness and the lack of merit whatsoever in his post. I don't really care to attack or defend Robotech. There's never an accounting for taste so, why bother?

vinnie

The original question was whether Tony will do research for his documentary or will it be a propaganda piece for HG. The question is a valid one and to be called stupid for it is to lack insight into the nature of the question as well as a lack of manners. To presume that he [Tony] knows everything about SDF:Macross, SDC:SC and Genesis Climber Mospeada already just because he was a voice actor for Robotech is a ridiculous assumption. He may be more involved than just as voice talent and so may know more, but then the onus of proving that is on the person asserting that he does know more.

No, the original question asked if HG was going to take credit for creating the original animation used in Robotech (which they didn't) and for causing Macross' popularity in the west (which they did). It was in line with the rest of ridiculous assumptions and comments made about HG, and I called him on it. Apparently that bothers you.

I thought my assembly line analogy worked quite well. The further removed on the hierarchy you are from the executive decisions being made, the less likely you are to be informed about why and how such decisions are made. How far up the hierarchy was Tony that he would know the ins and outs of everything about Robotech?

No one ever expected Tony to know everything about Robotech, but it's ridiculous to assume the people involved with the production of Robotech wouldn't have some inkling of it's origins. Certainly the fact that the animation was already produced (very unusual for an animated project) and noticeably divided into three stylisticly different section would have been a big clue to somebody experienced in animation. Furthermore, Tony was no stranger to japanese animation dubbing productions when he started working on Robotech.

Next time I'll include some graphs and charts in my posts, so it'll be easier to understand and I won't have to explain everything out for you. :)

408409[/snapback]

Edited by yellowlightman

I would think HG got a hold of the Gachaman License since they promote it really heavily.  Plus Wildstorm produces the comic books, same people that produce the Shadow Chromicles and ADV released the DVDs.

And thanks for the further clarification.

406820[/snapback]

The Gatchaman thing is interesting. Is HG involved with the recent ADV release of Gatchaman at all? I dunno. I'm pretty sure Streamline was involved with the 90's Gatchaman OAV, right? I don't think HG was involved with the old Rhino Battle of the Planets DVDs, though, right?

I wonder if Tony is planing in going the way of "Oh yeah, we create something new from scratch, and thanks to us, Macross became a major hit through out the whole world, blah blah blah" when he creates his documentary or if he is actually planing to do some major research on the subject....

407524[/snapback]

Don't be stupid. The people originally involved with Robotech are perfectly aware of the origins of the cartoon.

407754[/snapback]

I keep forgetting that on the internet, people will always deviate from the core argument. Strawman.

To assume that anyone who works for HG doesn't know that the origins of "robotech" stem from Japan is insanity.

407754[/snapback]

It wouldn't be a problem if the only mention of the history of Robotech in the documentary is that it used Japanese animation because even as a kid, I recognized the stylisitc elements of Robotech as being Japanese. I just didn't understand why the quality of the story went down after RT:TMS. But there is so much more to that history. Like how three series that comprise Robotech, or the distribution of rights for Macross and why we aren't getting the newer releases of Macross in the US, or how Macross is and remains a critical success in Japan and in some parts of the world before Robotech even showed up. Will this be covered in the documentary or will it just go and say how Robotech popularized Japanese animation and look at all the cool new Robotech things that are coming out.

I'm not even going to argue this. I can't even think of an analogy for an assertion so ridiculous. Asking someone to cite this, is like asking me to cite how exactly I figured out how to utter my first word as an infant. I'm not sure how I figured it out, but I'm 100% positive that I indeed spoke a first word.

And really, my original post was merely to point out yellowlightman's callousness and the lack of merit whatsoever in his post. I don't really care to attack or defend Robotech. There's never an accounting for taste so, why bother?

vinnie

408409[/snapback]

Or is it that you believe that anything or anyone will be some unthinking automaton working for HG? Ok, Tony has a history with HG but didn't he say they'll show both sides of the issue. In a documentary, a director will have to be fair and unbiased. Are we assuming that this documentary is a HG project because I didn't get that impression. Also, alot the voice talent in Robotech worked behind the scenes in story editing and voice directing. They just didn't say some lines and be recorded then call it a day.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

In a documentary, a director will have to be fair and unbiased.

You haven't seen a lot of what passes as "documentaries" lately I'm guessing. Most of them are thinly Veiled op-ed pieces. Unless the History Channel is doing it I would view it with a good sized grain of salt... and even they slant a lot of stuff.

I agree, it might likley be a fluff piece, or EPK (extended press kit) type documentary. Like those supposed "documentary features" you find on most movie DVDs - where all the movie participants basically slap each other on the back. My 2 cents.

:)

Unless the History Channel is doing it...

And then you would sit for an hour to watch what amounts to 5-6 minutes of real information, and even that dumbed down.

408614[/snapback]

yeah, but given that the History Channel runs 24 hours a day, that's still a solid 120 minutes worth of information about Hitler.

Because it suits my mood.

407524[/snapback]

No, the original question asked if HG was going to take credit for creating the original animation used in Robotech (which they didn't) and for causing Macross' popularity in the west (which they did). It was in line with the rest of ridiculous assumptions and comments made about HG, and I called him on it. Apparently that bothers you.

A case of hermeneutics. Maybe its me but personally when I see "blah, blah, blah" following a mock quote, I tend to take the mock quote as a satirical comment rather than literally. Hence, I took it to mean more broadly as to whether the documentary will be a propaganda piece or a well researched project. Frankly, I have not heard the audio interview or whatever it is with Tony and I don't care to either. Regardless of interpretation, a one liner that makes an unvalidated assertion and is introduced by an insult is pretty much base by most standards.

In a play of words on the common remonstrance of assuming, I at least provide a an actual point for you to counter, instead of merely insulting you and then leaving you with nothing.

As to whether you bother me? Actually I could careless about all this. I don't know this waters7 guy (gal?) and probably will never meet him seeing as I have no interest in meeting any MW members. And I could care even less about the HG debate. HG or at least Robotech as a franchise is a dying beast, the way I see it, and they are trying to pump out as much sub par merchandise as possible to combat that slow death. This is my opinion and is not a matter to be debated.

No one ever expected Tony to know everything about Robotech, but it's ridiculous to assume the people involved with the production of Robotech wouldn't have some inkling of it's origins. Certainly the fact that the animation was already produced (very unusual for an animated project) and noticeably divided into three stylisticly different section would have been a big clue to somebody experienced in animation. Furthermore, Tony was no stranger to japanese animation dubbing productions when he started working on Robotech.

But you seem to assert so and never validated the assertion. Tony does not need to do research because he was involved in Robotech's production as a voice actor and so he obviously knows everything needed to make an informed documentary already.

Next time I'll include some graphs and charts in my posts, so it'll be easier to understand and I won't have to explain everything out for you.  :)

That's thoughtful of you but you will find that I am plenty proficient at English language skills. However, if you feel that they will make your case stronger, by all means include them.

Oh how I love arguments online! Nothin' more entertaining to look at on the web in my opinion.

Yes they are quite entertaining, though you seem to have drawn yourself into it. Not very objective. As for myself, debating in and of itself is quite entertaining, especially when I have no stake in it.

vinnie

Oh how I love arguments online! Nothin' more entertaining to look at on the web in my opinion.

Yes they are quite entertaining, though you seem to have drawn yourself into it. Not very objective. As for myself, debating in and of itself is quite entertaining, especially when I have no stake in it.

vinnie

408652[/snapback]

Dear Vinnie:

(1st off, don't get offended or pist. I'm not trying to turn you into an enemy here. I've never even seen you in the forums until now, so I know nothing about you.)

I'll be as hermeneutic as I can for you.

Well. Here's the way I see it. A forum is intended to be subjective. I'm supposed to want to participate. Why would I want to sit back and retain objectivity when I have my own opinion - and I also have the right to post it?

If I see something I think is dramatically incorrect, I think naturally I'm going to gravitate towards letting other people know. This can apply to debates that did not start or begin with me. I'll throw in my two cents and the other participants can choose to read what I say or ignore me; I'm just satisfied that my stance on the issue was made available for others to see. An opinion is worthless if you keep it to yourself.

I believe, although I'm not totally sure, that there is a certain altruism behind your presumption of ignorance (which can also be innocence) on behalf of certain affiliates/employees of HG. So for this, I'll give you your props. You're a nice person. I myself though am less optimistic about people's ability to remain completely uninformed regarding situations that might require a slight degree of competence. I guess I just hope and believe that nobody at HG was born with the awful trial of having an IQ hovering in the double digits.

To state it eloquently, "I think if you work for Harmony Gold doing work that has anything to do with robotech and you don't know that the entire thing began in Japan, then you are (a) gimp/retard/buffoon/idiot/moron/mentally challenged/tragically stupid/ignoramous/airhead/impossibly dumb/schizophrenic/oblivious/etc."

Basically I disagree with you. ;)

EDIT: *throws peace sign to the world plus a middle finger* :D

Edited by GutsAndCasca

Dear Vinnie:

(1st off, don't get offended or pist. I'm not trying to turn you into an enemy here. I've never even seen you in the forums until now, so I know nothing about you.)

I'll be as hermeneutic as I can for you.

Well. Here's the way I see it. A forum is intended to be subjective. I'm supposed to want to participate. Why would I want to sit back and retain objectivity when I have my own opinion - and I also have the right to post it?

If I see something I think is dramatically incorrect, I think naturally I'm going to gravitate towards letting other people know. This can apply to debates that did not start or begin with me. I'll throw in my two cents and the other participants can choose to read what I say or ignore me; I'm just satisfied that my stance on the issue was made available for others to see. An opinion is worthless if you keep it to yourself.

I believe, although I'm not totally sure, that there is a certain altruism behind your presumption of ignorance (which can also be innocence) on behalf of certain affiliates/employees of HG. So for this, I'll give you your props. You're a nice person. I myself though am less optimistic about people's ability to remain completely uninformed regarding situations that might require a slight degree of competence. I guess I just hope and believe that nobody at HG was born with the awful trial of having an IQ hovering in the double digits.

To state it eloquently, "I think if you work for Harmony Gold doing work that has anything to do with robotech and you don't know that the entire thing began in Japan, then you are (a) gimp/retard/buffoon/idiot/moron/mentally challenged/tragically stupid/ignoramous/airhead/impossibly dumb/schizophrenic/oblivious/etc."

Basically I disagree with you.  ;)

EDIT: *throws peace sign to the world plus a middle finger*  :D

408693[/snapback]

I'm a much older member dating back to who knows when, I just don't actively participate anymore. You do not have the power to offend me but I do have the ability to piss others off because of their own insecurities about themselves.

Your original statement was that you loved to "look" at online arguments", to paraphrase, not participate. There is little room to interpret anything but literally. A desire to observe is usually correlated to a desire to be objective. Apparently you also desire to participate. Your use of the word hermeneutics does not make sense.

Opinions are do not have to be shared to have value unless you are insecure with our own beliefs.

Maybe your workplace is full of geniuses, but my experience has taught me that people are always dumber than they look and know less than you'd expect them to. I work in research. Half the human population does have an IQ in the double digits. IQ scores are normalized with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15.

I am not a very nice person. I'm sure some of the older members can testify to that.

vinnie

Ok fellas I just got back from AMA and I did visit the panel. Here is the news.

1-Steve Yun and Tommy Yune said that "Shadow Chronicles" is DONE and just waiting for the distributor. They do not want to announce who just yet...but basically they just need the ink on the paper so to speak. I forgot to ask "Why not ADV?"

2-The 1/100 line is made in an effort to reach a wider market than the masterpieces at a much more affordable price. Turns out the design team Thinks the sculpting on the 1/100's are superior to that of the masterpiece line. I agreed and told Tommy the sculptors were doin a good job(in my opinion 20$ ain't a bad price, and those things are not only more articulated, but look better than the MPC's. Not to mention the 11/00 SDCC exclusive is the Hikaru VF-1S).

3-We were shown the rough cuts of Shadow Chronicles and then footage from the final. It was pretty good. I think you mospeada fans will be pleased with the detail and animation of the Alpha and betas. Some of the CG was "typical CG" but it was definitely a lot more smoother and refined than CG tv shows.

4-I asked Tommy if Shadow Chronicles were to continue, in essence I asked if it was a movie or tv series. He told us that they could have taken the tv direction, but the thing is, tv networks don't really care if the series is good or not, as long as it meets deadlines and makes good ratings(at this point he compared it to transformers armada...which sucked as we all know but racked in good ratings for toynami and good sales for hasbro). He said that, that was not the right direction for robotech, so instead of a tv series, this first release is a movie. But he said it was NOT THE END. My guess is that its an OVA. Maybe this was announced before but I did not know, I'm just relaying what was said today@the panel.

5-Robotech 3000 is dead and they said fans made it clear@SDCC a couple years back that they did not want it.

6-Tommy was talking about how dissapointed he was as a child running home from school to catch the last episode and to see the ending. He tied this into how unlike robotech 3000, shadow chronicles would start directly after and tie into the last episode of robotech. Scott and Rick and buddies will be in there.

7-Someone asked the lady who was editor on the first robotech art books if Claudia was the first lead black anime character. She agreed and said something like back then on tv networks it wasn't a common thing...so they tried making Claudia sound historic. I was very skeptical...I was thinking and almost sure that there were prominent black characters in anime way before Claudia.

8-They said that when Chronicles was shown@Cannes it held it up very strongly and was very successful.

9-Due to lack of a projector for the 1st half and some slight computer trouble the panel went a lil over time and had to be cut short. Some people recieved t shirts, and 6 had the playing card game to test out. They wanted to here feedback about it@robotech.com. They also were to have a trivia game in which the winner would win a Jack Archer YF-1R MPC. I was eyeing this thing.

Since the panel got cut short Steve pointed out 2 fans from the panel that seemed really into the panel and got them to play rock paper scissors over the YF-1R. After one of them won, we talked for a bit, all shook hands and I went to catch up with my friends.

I might hit up tomorrows panel in the morning. If I do I'll try to ask how many movies they want for chronicles, and when you all's beloved BETA is arriving.

Not sure if anyone noticed this as well but, the hikaru SDCC exlusive seems to have a clear canopy...perhaps this will be standard on the production mass market versions as well?

Also someone did ask about inevitable comparisons with Macross zero and he also said "since they both use CG and tell the same story". I sat there saying"same story?!eh....". Anyways Tommy pointed out that they are too different and seperate stories and how its apples and oranges. People compared yukikaze to macross zero and vice versa he said, and the comparisons between shadow chronicles will be inevitable even if they are totally different scenarios that pretty much have nothing to do with each other.

Btw Tommy and Steve were a LOT younger than I expected.

I'm a much older member dating back to who knows when, I just don't actively participate anymore. You do not have the power to offend me but I do have the ability to piss others off because of their own insecurities about themselves.

Your original statement was that you loved to "look" at online arguments", to paraphrase, not participate. There is little room to interpret anything but literally. A desire to observe is usually correlated to a desire to be objective. Apparently you also desire to participate. Your use of the word hermeneutics does not make sense.

Opinions are do not have to be shared to have value unless you are insecure with our own beliefs.

Maybe your workplace is full of geniuses, but my experience has taught me that people are always dumber than they look and know less than you'd expect them to. I work in research. Half the human population does have an IQ in the double digits. IQ scores are normalized with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15.

I am not a very nice person. I'm sure some of the older members can testify to that.

vinnie

408719[/snapback]

I guess if half the population has an IQ in the double digits that would explain Hillary Clinton's ongoing popularity...

As for me, I haven't taken offense to anything you've said. But, if you would like to prey upon my insecurities then start making fun of me for not having any money 99% of the time. :D

I was under the impression that the word hermeneutical meant "explanatory." I guess I'll have to check the dictionary about that one but I'll go out on a limb and assert that I believe you're wrong. Also, eveybody I know who likes to look at girls, also likes to touch them. Don't assume that just because somebody likes to observe something that they will never become involved with it in any other sense.

.......................................................................................................................

Okay, about Shadow Chronicles: what I'd like to know is, are the CG as good as Macross Zero? I'd never personally have thought to compare the two but now I'm intrigued by the concept. Of course, that comment about the CG being "better" and not "shockingly" better than the transformers almost answers that question for me already.

Does Shadow Chronicles bring back any of the VF-1's, or is it just more Alphas? Any new mecha introduced?

Lastly... when are the 1/100 scale toynamis coming out??? I want some!

Oh crap, I almost forgot to mention: Giving an opinion or witholding an opinion has absolutely nothing at all to do with self esteem or insecurities. I know people who hardly ever give their opinions (and are secure) and people who love to spout off theirs' (because they are secure.) I like to give my opinions because just like everybody else, I know that I'm always right.

Okay, about Shadow Chronicles: what I'd like to know is, are the CG as good as Macross Zero? I'd never personally have thought to compare the two but now I'm intrigued by the concept. Of course, that comment about the CG being "better" and not "shockingly" better than the transformers almost answers that question for me already.

Does Shadow Chronicles bring back any of the VF-1's, or is it just more Alphas? Any new mecha introduced?

Lastly... when are the 1/100 scale toynamis coming out??? I want some!

408800[/snapback]

Sadly no new designs based from preexisting Macross stuff. Everything will be a modified Mospeada look. So yes more Alpha and no VF-1s.

Interesting info. I hope the 1/100 turn out to be good. If I buy these HG has to make me those destroids so I can put them near my yammy VB6 monster.

Although I am more a fan of the original macross, I do want to see what happened after the last ep and whether scott finally figured out what happened to Rick Hunter. You never see his face for so long after Macross Saga so it is a bit like the character in inspector gadget. The fans want to know what he looks like. Maybe he wears a mask like char aznable in gundam and has developed into a newtype and that is why he let the missiles hit earth in the last episode of next generation because he realised the humans were polluting it and sympathised with the invid? I've got so many conspiracy theories.. :D

Or maybe his changing skin color is the result of him doing it with an alien, he dies of a disease and what you see is really a clone created by the aliens to spy on us, Zor style? And scott realises Rick is dead!

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

THe only thing from macross is the flying kite on the logo. or maybe that was just on the free pins they gave out yesterday.

No VF-1 to be seen. BTW the story is scott searching for Rick Hunter, and from what was said, I think he does find him. SDF-4 is in this as well.

They didn't say when the 1/100 would be released but they are set for summer, and being that one is an SDCC exclusive, I imagine fairly soon they will come out in mass market.

Everything's just more alphas? What a downer! Blah. I like the "alphas" but they're not 1/50th as cool as the VF-1 series. (go figure... not like mospaeda originally had anything to do with macross)

I am definitely interested to see what's become of Rick Hunter though. Before I knew that the robotech series was actually unrelated (yes I began as a duped RT fan) I kept wondering "why the freaking hell don't they show Rick? And Max? And Miria? Minmay? Especially Lisa." I hope all make an appearance. And will they have the original voice actors back for everybody?

along with the Vf-1s, I prefered the Macross cast and crew over the "next generation bunch." If they're going to do a sequel to Robotech, I really would prefer that the "search for rick" is wrapped up in the first few episodes and then we can move onto characters that are actually interesting and have more motivations in what they do then the larger two dimensional scott.

Having said that, I'm still pretty mortified by this whole endeavor and how cavalier the folks at HG are about make sequels based on other peoples work and taking credit for it. but hey, ripping off the original creators is pretty muuch part and parcel for business in America, so why should animation be any different?

Edited by eugimon

Went to the recap panel today. More news!

I asked a lot of questions that most of us want answers to. So here it goes...

1-Rick Hunter IS in shadow chronicles but does not have a prominent role. The Shadow Chronicles movie is Scott searching for Rick and SDF-3.

2-SDF-3 has been refitted...apparently they explain this in the "prelude to shadow chronicles" book by wildstorm.

3-Shadow Chronicles is the FIRST in a trilogy. The movie's distributor will be announced soon. It will be in high def(it was shown this way in Cannes according to Tommy Yune). Steve Yun told me that it will be 88 minutes long. So about a good 1hr&1/2

4-The collectable card game either is out or out soon...I recieved a free deck and instructions to test it out. The one I have is all macross....the artwork contains screengrabs of the tv series. Robotech.com wants to know what we think, but I have yet to test it out.

5-Tommy Yune was saying that all anime in japan right now is being done digital....well I guess the finalization. The drawings are done by hand then scanned and mass printed(I may have heard this wrong). Anyways all the coloring and such is done digitally(you can tell in a lot of the recent animes). *I am not sure if he was speaking of anime in general in japan or tatsunuko).

6-DR Movie and tatsunuko are involved in the animation. Tommy does know of Yukikaze(which btw holy hell was that boring, I saw the 1st episode today and walked out during the beginning of the 2nd), and DR movie did work on Yukikaze, perhaps that is why they sought them out? Rather than do all CG like robotech 3000, they felt that shadow chronicles would be better with the anime touch, thats the reason they enlisted DR movie and tatsunuko.

7-Most of the voice actors ARE back. The VA for Claudia is back as Claudia's relative...or sister...whichever. Actually I am not sure but its her relative. The Claudia's nephew or whatever from southern cross is back as a commander now, and he is older too. Roy Fokker's VA is back as a higher up. The VA's for Rick, and a bunch of others are back too. Tommy described it as a reunion of sorts. Oh yea Mark Hamill is Wolf Leader as well....or at least the commander of wolf sqn.

8-The RDF mecha in shadow chronicles is Alphas and betas...primarily shadows.

9-I asked about a successor to the alpha and Steve replied that there MAY BE

a successor in the 2nd movie.

10-The SDF-3 looks nothing like a zentraedi ship anymore.

11-I started to ask questions about the toyline....Steve said he doubted enemy mecha/destroids would be made for toynami's smaller scaled 1/100 line, and went onto comment about how in general enemies do not really sell well, and then he mentioned how takatoku didn't really make enemy mecha toys when the macross toys were released eons back. Still I hold hope.

12-Steve said George Sohn is at a crossroads right now about the Beta. He asked if I had seen the prototype and I told him I did. He said that Toynami was guaging interest on the Beta from sales of the Alpha, HOWEVER sales of the MPC alphas were not as high as they expected. So right now the Beta is iffy...

13-I then suggested that perhaps and alpha and beta could be made in the new smaller scale 20$ line(I doubt that they would make them 1/100 if they were in this line), and Steve replied "thats a possibility".

14-Toynami will be making shadow chronicles toys/MPC's.

15-Toynami is still working on the cyclones.

16-Steve said they do trust George with his judgement of handling the toys. Right now George is looking at what will give them a good return, and the affordable 20$ line seems to be a good opportunity for them.

17-This is the reason that the VF-1 is in the 1/100 line, Macross tends to be more popular/successful in sales of toys for toynami.

18-Someone asked about capital ships and Steve replied"its always been on toynami's list of things to do but they haven't got there yet since George is still working the cyclones and beta". I think he said eventually...I am not sure.

At the end they had a rook MPC for give away. They did a short trivia section. Me and this dude next to me tied 2x. Then Steve suggested rock paper scissors again like yesterday(I REALLY wanted them to go with Tommy's idea for arm wrestling....!!).

Anyways it would have been tied but I mistakingly made a weird looking scissor with 3 fingers instead of 2 and Steve laughinly said "hey you cant do that!" He then compared it to the MGS3 spoofs. Anyways the guy next to me won. I SO could have won it if I remembered Marlene's japanese name in Mospeada(wasn't it Rose?) and Rooks Japanese name(Hoquet?!). Ar, I wish Cyclone woulda been there!

Ah oh well, better luck next time for me!

And in my opinion, shadow chronicles is just gonna be a continuation in a new direction away from macross and mospeada. They did mention that it would, and that in japan macross went in its own direction. Robotech had its start in macross but developed into a whole different storyline by the end. They also said that most of the japanese anime fans do not know of robotech. So I DOUBT that we will ever see YF-19s or YF-21s or any more macross mecha ever in the new robotech series. Maybe mospeada stuff yes, but not macross.

Either way I left when the panel ended, happy that I got a lot of info, slightly dissapointed that I did not win the free MPC alpha(I like the red the best, and I don't have an alpha yet so I saw it as a golden opportunity).

They also said Carl Macek did not work on shadow chronicles but did see some of it and he was happy with it.

Thanks for the update Shin.

It's a shame that the Beta is starting to look more and more like vaporware. Maybe if Toynami could have improved their QC, they could have moved more Alphas which would have led us to the Beta. I know if the reviews that I read about the Alphas here had been more like the reviews of the 1/48 yammies, I would have picked up a few.

Thanks for the update Shin. 

It's a shame that the Beta is starting to look more and more like vaporware.  Maybe if Toynami could have improved their QC, they could have moved more Alphas which would have led us to the Beta.    I know if the reviews that I read about the Alphas here had been more like the reviews of the 1/48 yammies, I would have picked up a few.

408973[/snapback]

I know what you mean man. Its tempting too, since robotech.com is selling them for 59.99 now.

I went on robotech.com and apparently the beta is planned for 07, some say later this year. Who knows.

There is still hope, and if anything I'd love to get one in the 20$ pricepoint.

I hope they retool the alphas arms for the shadow chronicles MPCs/

Densestu - wow! Thanks for all of that information.

I'm really sorry they didn't let you do the armwrestling contest. I'd have been screaming "armwrestling contest!" Unfortunately in these situations a battle of physical strength is often shunned so weaklings don't feel bad about themselves. Not fair to those of us who try to maintain a proper balance of being in shape and being in-the-know regarding our chosen animes.

So Macross went its' own direction and so will Robotech, eh? Man they'd have to pull off something pretty effing miraculous to even come close to Macross Plus.

NOTE:I am and shall continue to ignore the fact that Macross 7 fits into anything anywhere. Yes I own this series. Oooh damn. I just had a painful recollection of owning Macross 2... that movie never happened.

I think it would be the funniest thing to see HG get the rights to convert Macross Zero into a Robotech prequel. I can see it now:

Roy over radio:"Ken (known to us as SHIN), go rescue that ho' trapped inside that monster created by the robotech masters before it rips open the SDF-1 and 2 and eats all of our protoculture!"

Ken/Shin: "Ok... wait, what exactly the f--k IS protoculture??!"

Roy:"Don't ask questions we're not allowed to answer!"

Thanks for the info.

I guess Tommy didn't even suggest that they almost didn't get the old voice actors right?

Based on what I heard he ended up doing something that pissed off several of the voice actors and they walked out or wouldn't do the movie. It was someone else that got them to come back and do the movie.

No prob guys. Effect you sure it was Tommy who pissed them off? I've never heard of this, care to fill me in?

I doubt HG would ever try to incorporate macross zero into robotech. Maybe a few years ago but certainly not now, a lot more people know about macross at this point and from what was said at the panel the team really wants robotech to go in its own direction. And I think it should too.

They made it clear that macross and robotech are different things. Sure the Macross saga was the first part of robotech, but robotech in its entirety is a different storyline. The beginning was derived from macross in japan but anything thereafter will be on its own. So Macross 2 or 7 won't be tied into Robotech.

When they said Macross went in its own direction in japan they meant the macross series in itself in japan, not the macross saga in robotech. They aren't going to try to mesh macross plus into robotech or any of that, shadow chronicles IS the continuation to robotech, nothing else.(which is good, if they tried to bring more macross titles into the robotech umbrella i am sure it would make a lot of us mad).

So if anything they are leaving the "source" material alone and going in their own direction.

And they also said they wouldn't do sentinels again either.

Don't worry --- I know the connection between Macross and Robotech ended (forever more) squarely on the last episode of the original Macross Saga. I was just speculating how when the two series split - neither side achieved total perfection. Of course, Macross achieved closer to perfection, if you toss out macross 2 and 7. And I think it would be a hoot to see an HG "Robotech Zero: The We Don't Know How the F--k to Explain This One" movie. And yes, I know they'll never actually make this... giving me one less thing to laugh at during the course of my lifetime.

wow.. there's a ton of info there, thanks for that!

bummer to hear about the beta... I think they need to realize that their shoddy design/materials/craftsmanship lead more to the under performance of the alpha's than anything else. i would have loved to have gotten morer if they weren't such a colosal stinker.