Legendary Vf-5...myth Or Fact?

Valk009

Is it true that Kawamori penned down a VF-5 Valkyrie, which is the replacement for the VF-4 and the predecessor of the VF-11, YF-19 and YF-21?

I heard that they is just written information on it but no design, so is this a myth or fact?

The Macross Compendium (which is official), lists the VF-5 as a 'Light Space Fighter', not as a direct replacement of the VF-4 for main variable fighter.

Also, according to the Compendium, the VF-5000 assumed the United Nations Forces' main fighter designation from the VF-4 (due to its lower costs) beginning in the later half of the 2020s until the VF-11 Thunderbolt's introduction.

Graham

The VF-5, 6, and 7 were all low-cost transformable craft that were built for the average colony in mind as a cheap defense force. The VF-5 is based on the sea dart, and is meant to land on water bodies in fighter mode.

My question is were they even penned at all by Kawamori or just given designations/descriptions. Where did they 'come from' anyway? Where were they mentioned (outside the compendium)?

The VF-5, 6, and 7 were all low-cost transformable craft that were built for the average colony in mind as a cheap defense force. The VF-5 is based on the sea dart, and is meant to land on water bodies in fighter mode.

My question is were they even penned at all by Kawamori or just given designations/descriptions. Where did they 'come from' anyway? Where were they mentioned (outside the compendium)?

401469[/snapback]

I always thought the VF-3000 and the VF-5000 were the VF-3 & VF-5's respectively...?

Especially since the VF-5000 has similar design aesthetics distinctive to the VF-11 & VF-19 series.

Edited by Zinjo

VF-5000 Star Mirage

401545[/snapback]

Small nitpick... It's just VF-5000. No "Star Mirage".

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati...5000/index.html

401557[/snapback]

Not according to the Macross Design Works book, page 20... "starmirage"

401568[/snapback]

Yes, I know. But it's still a nickname, not its official designation.

Edited by azrael

are you sure it is not official? i have always seen that name for it and the SHE resin kit is labled as the Star Mirage. and it carries the Bigwest stickeres on the box confirming that it is a authentic product. i have always heard that Mr. K is very serious about the releases and everyhting has to go through him, if it was not offical i am sure he or Bigwest and others would have said something.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

Aside from the VF-5000 appearances in Macross 7 Dynamite, Macross Plus: Game Edition, and Macross M3, it was slated to appear as the main mecha in the Macross 3D VF-X. (Be glad that that project never went to production - call it a low quality cousin of the 3DCG Appleseed movie from 2004.) Though... the VF-5000 did look pretty sweet in it.

So yeah... they're myth. ;)

Regarding the VF-5, it's always been my opinion (and probably mine alone) that it is really the SeiRan-99Kou "StarStorm-99Armour" in disguise.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/macross.htm

The VF fits all the requirements - water landing capable, etc., and also has conformally mounted missiles, a la the other VF produced in that era: the VF-4.

So yeah, it's probably just something that Kawamori penned to keep fans glued and develop interest in a future anime or model release...

Edited by sketchley

It looks more like the S-99 was recycled into the Sv-51. I'd imagine that the VF-5 looks more like a Sea Dart.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/aircaval...eiran-99kou.htm

Correct link to find the S-99Kou

401731[/snapback]

Those are some wicked design sketches. Pretty cool and well quite different from what I am used to seeing....

I'd been thinking about redrawing that VF in a more Macrossy - less flashy style. Alas, I went back to school and have no time.

I love that design though, and we've seen other VFs from that become the VF9 and VF14.

Edited by Kelsain

Yeah... and it's also suspicious as these 'non VF' designs are showing up in the 'Shouji Kawamori Macross Design Works' book.

That alone says some things about their status.

Yes, I know. But it's still a nickname, not its official designation.

401597[/snapback]

Then why would SK publish it's name?

There are very few VF's if any, other than the VF-1, that carry the name "Valkyrie". All the VF fighters after the VF-1 were given different names by SK. Thus the argument that Star Mirage is what SK actually does refer to the VF-5000 as.

Merchandisers tended to use the name "Valkyrie" like a brand name to denote the type of kit, toy, etc... as a Macross variable fighter instead of the name it was actually given. This changed later on however, but not in every case.

So I disagree that "Star Mirage" is just a nick name for the fighter.

If you mean it's the aircrafts name similar to how the F-16 has the name "Falcon", or the F-14 is the "Tomcat", then in that respect I'd agree.

These names may not be "official" designations, but the military does recognize the names for these particular aircraft.

Along your vein of thought, even the name "Valkyrie" would not be the VF-1's "official" designation...

Edited by Zinjo

It looks more like the S-99 was recycled into the Sv-51.  I'd imagine that the VF-5 looks more like a Sea Dart.

401761[/snapback]

Considering the Compendium says that it's specific inspiration was the sea dart, I'm inclined to think it's more sea-dart like than anything from the failed Air Cavalry knights.

It doesn't say specific.

It says "Specification inspiration: Convair XF2Y Sea Dart"

Ie: stats.

In this case, I believe it's the "water landing capable." Which means that it may have skids and air intakes on the ventral surface, like the Sea Dart.

3753L.jpg

NF23.jpg

However, given that it's mission inspiration is based off of something different, it probably doesn't look anything like the Sea Dart and more like the F-5E Tiger II.

F5E.jpg

Also, given Kawamori's penchant for sleek fighters, I doubt he'd approved something as bulbous and bulky as the Sea Dart. I mean yech!

Yeah but the F-5 can't land on water, the Sea Dart can. Given that this is a VF designed to land on water it would have design features closer to the Sea Dart (a supersonic fighter designed to land on water) than the F-5 (an exclusively land based fighter).

All jets can land on water. Most of them, however, cannot take off again. ;)

Seriously: the VF-0 can land in/on water. The *real* question that we should be asking is "what mode(s) does the VF-5 need to be in, to land in water?"

I say this because, the VF-5 may have only one feature that other VFs don't have: water proofing. (Macross Zero Eps. #3: Shin's gun pod jams because it has been immersed in sea water.)

So that brings me to the matter of language: what is the original Japanese and how close is the English translation to the (intended) meaning? 日本語ã«ãƒŒã‚¢ãƒ³ã‚¹ãŒæœ‰ã‚‹ã‹ã‚‰ã€‚。。