How Fast Can U Transform Your 1/48s?

wolfx

I remmeber when i bought my 1st 1/48 during my last year of University 2 years ago. It was a 1/48 Roy Focker. The thing felt like 200 bucks in my hand ready to dissolve. Boy was I nervous as hell the 1st time round trying to transform the SOAB. Due to the various ratchet joints and pretty tight hooks (especially the 1st hooks you have to disengage on the legs from the body) those were secured pretty hard. I remmebered trying to pull the legs out with much fear. When i finally did, the knee ratchets clicked loudly and the legs came off. I was like "OMFG....did i break it?" Glad that I have not broke it, i continued transforming it and the next tough part were the hands which had to be pushed into place for gerwalk mode. The damn things wouldn't budge into place and i was scared as hell to push it with all my strength. Then came the trickiest part. The chestplate/heat shield. Once you got all the pieces out of their securing hooks, the whole 1/48 turned into a puppet on strings. The chest plate came off loose, the cockpit/nose cone folded itself and hung precariuosly on the shoulder hinges.....i was like...omfg......its like jelly and everything was loose as heck. I finally got it all together in battroid mode in.....an hour plus. That was the story of my 1s 1/48 valk. :lol:

I swore that the Roy Focker, being a really expensive toy, would be my 1st and last 1/48 ever. After all, why would i want variants of the same toys painted differently with different heads? Boy was I wrong. I bought the max VF-1A on clearance, and a hikaru VF-1A also on clearance. The rest was history. Before i know it, i have :

Roy 1S

Hikaru 1A

Max 1A

Hikaru 1S

Hikaru 1J

Stealth 1J

So with the latest incarnation, the stealth, i transformed it right into battroid to check for any QC problems. I did it with amazing speed and familiarity. Rachets clicking, hooks cracking as they came off their housings. All in all, i took 1 minute 25 seconds to transform it from fighter to battroid and back. (not counting the time i took to examine for QC problems) It felt like a soldier who could field strip and reassemble his M-16 in seconds. :D

So how fast can you transform your 1/48 now?

Yeah, I had a similar experience. For the first transformation, I'd say the worst part was not being able to read Japanese. I kept looking at the pictures and thinking, "How in the hell did they get that piece to move that way without snapping something?" I fumbled around with it for probably 45 minutes or so, trying my best not to break anything. When I heard that slight crack as you separate the cockpit section from the chestplate I almost had a heart attack! Of course, I then realized that I had done it properly and nothing was busted. Now, I'd say around 30 seconds is all I need. That goes up just a little if it has FAST Packs on because I always remove the boosters from the backpack first. I'm not taking any chances with extra weight that darn BP8!

Now, I'd say around 30 seconds is all I need. That goes up just a little if it has FAST Packs on because I always remove the boosters from the backpack first. I'm not taking any chances with extra weight that darn BP8!

399819[/snapback]

You can transform from fighter to battroid and back in 30??? :ph34r:

I'd like to see a vid of that.

hi,

noobie about to asking for noobie\'s enquires.

i juz bought a VF-1S (1/48)

when i transform, the legs keep dropping out from the joint.

( when i pull gently)

Is this normal?

399826[/snapback]

If you are referring to the hip joints, then yes, they sometimes pop out with ease. Just make sure you rotate the leg in a front-to-back sweep, nothing angular.

Hope this helps.

Now, I'd say around 30 seconds is all I need. That goes up just a little if it has FAST Packs on because I always remove the boosters from the backpack first. I'm not taking any chances with extra weight that darn BP8!

399819[/snapback]

You can transform from fighter to battroid and back in 30??? :ph34r:

I'd like to see a vid of that.

399823[/snapback]

Sorry, I should have been more specific - that's 30 seconds from fighter to battroid only. If I could do fighter to battroid to fighter that fast, I'd probably end up breaking something.

It takes 2 to 3 seconds with one hand tied to my foot... :)

I bet you saw that comming...

399812[/snapback]

Wow, thats fast. I'm a bit slower. Probably more like 5 seconds with both hands, but blind folded. :lol:

Realistically, I can probably do it in 5-10 mins. Not really something I can brag about. :p Only transform my valks once in a while.

WOW. This thread is x-tra geeky. As a fellow geek boy, I can say I have never tried to go through it really quick. Don't think I've ever tranformed one in under 3 minutes.

More power to ya, fellow geeks. Post vids. I'd love to see it go Rubik's Cube style!

Edited by DatterBoy

While not 1/48, I think I used to have a video somewhere on the main site of either a 1/60 VF-1 or 1/72 YF-19 (I forget which), showing transformation in just under 1 minute.

Graham

400025[/snapback]

I woudln't attempt transforming the yf-19 under a minute...that thing is just so prone to paint chips...

Stop treating it like its a cheap whore and you have erectile disfunction!

Take your time with her.  You will not go limp before you finish.

400031[/snapback]

:lol: Well said.

There are some parts which I am reluctant to be speedy or hasty with. It all counts to the life of the valk.

Don't get me wrong. When i ask "how fast" i meant it as how fast can you comfortably transform the valk, not like a nerdy ego competition thing.

I just realised how fast and familiar i was when i transformed the stealth valk pretty quickly.

I've never timed myself. Probably between one or two minutes. I'm never on a rush.

I spend more time thinking about a pose.

Speaking of x-tra geeky, when I'm doing some work on the comp or while I watch TV I frequently have a valk and take a look a it every now and then :lol:

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

hmm just a couple of minutes after much practice :)

i remembered that i spent about 3-4 hours transforming my VF-19A to and fro when i bought a yamato product for the first time years ago and it was really really really a pain in the ass! almost cried dammit! :D

Speaking of x-tra geeky, when I'm doing some work on the comp or while I watch TV I frequently have a valk and take  a look a it every now and then :lol:

I've been doing that with the VF-0 since I got it. I'm going to try and sneak it into work...

Man, I am doing the exact same thing. Brought my VF-0S to work after finish applying stickers and displayed it on my desk in fighter mode, right next to the Bandai 1/55 VF-1S Focker. Titled "20 years of toy engineering" :p

If you can do it blinfolded, using only one hand in under a minute, while suspended upsidedown in a tank of water, then you know you are a master.

Graham

400538[/snapback]

That's when i successfully created my self transforming R/C Vakyrie. :lol:

I didn't start collecting Macross stuff until about September of 2005. Once I acquired and watched the various animes, I first off bought the entire Macross saga line of MPC's, as well as every super-poseable. I figured they were the coolest Macross toys in existence, until I discovered these "yamato" things on Ebay going for practically 200 bucks a pop. I swore I'd never buy one, it was way too much money and my wife would kick my ass.

But damn. I couldn't help myself, and for my 2005 X-mas present I had a Hikaru VF-1S preordered and scheduled to arrive in the mail. WITH, a GBP set along with it. But the waiting proved too much, so I ordered a CF, which was in stock at that time, and it arrived shortly. How light it was compared to the MPC's sort of got on my nerves at first but I ended up falling in love. (I can remember it, I can remember IT!) So get this, at this point in time I have -

Roy Focker 1S (w/strikepack)

Hikaru 1S (w/strikepack)

Hikaru 1J

CF 1A

Max 1S

Milia w/fast pack 1J

CF 1S

Hikaru 1J (mutilated and in pieces from paint removal experiements)

Hikaru 1S (awaiting being converted into Minmay Guard 2) Strikepack 2

Hikaru 1S (in pieces and awaiting it's Minmay Guard 1 day)

VF0S

Am I insane? Yes, probably. How fast can I transform one of these? I have no idea. Probably a couple minutes from plane to battroid I'm guessing. Oh, and my 4 year old has a pile of Macross toys as well. (All acquired in the same timeframe) K I'm done.

---Bri

(I neglected to mention that my macross rampage has left me practically penniless in the "Dad's entertainment" department for a loooong, long time. I do get to pick out a movie at blockbuster video sometimes though.)

Edited by GutsAndCasca

I didn't start collecting Macross stuff until about September of 2005. Once I acquired and watched the various animes, I first off bought the entire Macross saga line of MPC's, as well as every super-poseable. I figured they were the coolest Macross toys in existence, until I discovered these "yamato" things on Ebay going for practically 200 bucks a pop. I swore I'd never buy one, it was way too much money and my wife would kick my ass.

But damn. I couldn't help myself, and for my 2005 X-mas present I had a Hikaru VF-1S preordered and scheduled to arrive in the mail. WITH, a GBP set along with it. But the waiting proved too much, so I ordered a CF, which was in stock at that time, and it arrived shortly. How light it was compared to the MPC's sort of got on my nerves at first but I ended up falling in love. (I can remember it, I can remember IT!) So get this, at this point in time I have -

Roy Focker 1S (w/strikepack)

Hikaru 1S (w/strikepack)

Hikaru 1J

CF 1A

Max 1S

Milia w/fast pack 1J

CF 1S

Hikaru 1J (mutilated and in pieces from paint removal experiements)

Hikaru 1S (awaiting being converted into Minmay Guard 2) Strikepack 2

Hikaru 1S (in pieces and awaiting it's Minmay Guard 1 day)

VF0S

Am I insane? Yes, probably. How fast can I transform one of these? I have no idea. Probably a couple minutes from plane to battroid I'm guessing. Oh, and my 4 year old has a pile of Macross toys as well. (All acquired in the same timeframe) K I'm done.

---Bri

(I neglected to mention that my macross rampage has left me practically penniless in the "Dad's entertainment" department for a loooong, long time. I do get to pick out a movie at blockbuster video sometimes though.)

401033[/snapback]

Wow, you've built quite the collection in a short while - cool! I am jealous! I bought my first 1/48 Yamato this month - it is sweet! Am hoping to build up a decent collection soon, but it's tough on the budget!!

:(

As for how fast I can transform the valkyrie - it's good to read that many of you felt the same as I did the first time I transformed it. Took me almost 2 hours!! And now after a few weeks, it takes me about 15 mins or so. I still get scared of possibly breaking a piece, but feel confident that I know what I am doing.

:)

Can't wait to maybe get a VF-0S ... but it looks like I'll have to learn another transformation method ... cool.

:D

Edited by Vermillion21

Wow, you've built quite the collection in a short while - cool! I am jealous! I bought my first 1/48 Yamato this month - it is sweet! Am hoping to build up a decent collection soon, but it's tough on the budget!!

:(

As for how fast I can transform the valkyrie - it's good to read that many of you felt the same as I did the first time I transformed it. Took me almost 2 hours!! And now after a few weeks, it takes me about 15 mins or so. I still get scared of possibly breaking a piece, but feel confident that I know what I am doing.

:)

Can't wait to maybe get a VF-0S ... but it looks like I'll have to learn another transformation method ... cool.

:D

401118[/snapback]

Well. I also neglected to mention that I too was frightened when transforming my 1st Yam. I had this thought resonating in my head:

"I just spent all this money on this thing and it's gonna' frickin' break. OH GAWD I JUST BROKE IT. Wait. Phew it's okay still."

Now repeat that process for about an hour.

Oh, and there was the inevitable "HOLY SH-T I BROKE THE HEAT SHIELD OFF! F--K!....oh. It goes back on pretty easy. Ha. haha. ha." :ph34r: