What's keeping you from buying tons of Valks?

91WhiskeyM6

Pre-existing debt! (College loans, 7 years of credit card debt, just living in Japan in general)

Yet I still was buying tons of valks until this month. I just hit my limit, many might say I hit it long ago, but when I checked my Toys R Us account and saw that since the release of Yamato's 1/60 Hikaru 1A I've spent over $3,000 there! Yikes! and that's not counting what I bought before, stuff from Sakuraya's or all the times I've loaded up at HLJ when they've had their crazy sales.

I'm back to a strict $100 a month, if not $50! The crazy thing was, even with two each of the 1/48 Hikaru and Roys, I was thinking of buying extra Hikaru 1S's to swap parts... and, even though that idea has passed, I'm still working on getting one of each of the reissues.

I need help! But after the end of this month, when I finally get married, I don't foresee any problems... as I won't be in charge of the money nor am I likely to get much in the way of hand outs for Valks. :( I mean, my girlfriend's cool and all with it, but with all the other things we need to save money for, I think she questions my buying numerous VF-1's. Ever tried to explain why you need a Valk that only different from the ones you already have because of it's color?

"But, but! This one is Max's!"

"yeah, whatever... and why did you need two?!"

"Ah... they were... ah, cheap?"

About a year ago I was frothing at the mouth from the seemingly endless storm of Valkyries that would be coming our way: the Yamato's, Bandai reissues, heck even the MPC had me excited. Right after I got the original '48 1A however, the desire started to drop dramatically. I used to think it had something to do with all of the Yamato bashers and QC freaks in the 'Forums, but now that I think about it, I just have a much harder time justifying the purchase of a toy that costs as much as these Valkyries do cost....Of course, this is far different than a few years ago when I skipped a mortgage payment just to buy my first Strike Valkyrie.

I can't even remember the last anime I bought-it might've been one of the Noir episodes, but unfortunately all Noir did was spoil whatever anime hunger I had left. I dunno, maybe I've just outgrown the whole scene.....

1. Lack of variety (as much as I love Yamato how many VF-1A's can you come up with)

2. Lack of funds (to be honest....Macross Valkyries aren't that high (on da list) when I allocate my funds)

3. Storage (I need to start breaking down my boxes or buying more shelves)

1. Saving for a home (presently live in a crazy neighborhood,crackheads and prostitutes).

2. Taking care of all past debt so I qualify for a better house. :D But one way or the other I manage to work a few more hours a week so as to be able to afford my valks.

nothing :lol:

I do add to my collection on a weekly basis. I could say money, but lack of money doen't prevent me from aquiring stuff... it just makes me search harder for better deals.

Storage, or lack there-of, should hold me back but I find boxes stack nicely all the way to the ceiling :rolleyes:

My wife puts up with it as better refurbishing old toys for hours than spending the time at strip clubs... it's all how you make the argument :rolleyes:

Priorities do shift though, so while nothing prevents me per-say, I sometimes elect to waste money on other things like a third car so I can fix up my camaro proper... or at least not die in a heap of seat-beltless metal and flame before I get around to fixing the brakes on the camaro :blink:

My past keeps me from buying too much. I used to be out of control, seriously out of control. On day I realized it had to stop so I started on a long process of selling what I didn't need and applying all my bonuses and excess income to my credit debt in order to get things under control. The sell off process helped me to see that my true collecting loves are Yamato valks and David Mack Kabuki comics.

Now I'm debt free (aside from the 0% car loan) and stick to a $1200 a year toy budget.

So the short answer is that the very expensive lessons of my past keep me from buying too many valks.

Bordom with the VF-1 line. I got all the 1/60ths, and with the 1/48's most of the head varients. The 1J is probably gonna be my last unless they release an elint of super O in 1/48 scale. But no 1A or 1J max or Milla for me.

What I am waiting on are destroids, improved macross plus, and enemy mecha. I am also looking forward to Yamato's Votom and Escaflowne. Toys that have yet to have a DECENT modern rendition. oh and anyone know what the new transformable line is that yamato picked up? I think it would be funny if it was Mospeada, only to once again out do HG B)

Edited by GobotFool

DVD's, shelf space, and overall lack of excess $$$ makes me try to be selective on what I buy.

1) Import pricing vs actual value. I know I would have more if a 1/48 was ~$90 and a 1/60 even cheaper.

2) Lack of Room (hard to devote a room to all of my distractions, much less specifically for Valkyries (I'd say Macross toys but so far there AREN'T ANY OTHER Macross toys ;) ). And a 1/48 has a bigger foot print, too.

Let's see the fact that I have almost no money, the fact that I'm paying to goto university... I think I have space...

I can only have oh so many valks before you realize they're all the some except with different heads.

Space. That's the primary factor, right there. I have too much stuff.....

Cash I've probably got for what I want. I'm not one of the people who try to get it all... there's just a few things I want, but I got absolutely no where to put it.

Might be time to look for a bigger place.....

The usual I guess(bills, house payment etc) but I don't want alot of

VF-1s anymore. I sold off all of my 1/55s, new and old. I only have 3 1/60's left. I had owned at least one of each released(except the VF-1D and Elint).

I'm just keeping my 1/48s. I have 4 now and affter the VF-1J, I'm done with any other 1/48 VF-1's if they become available.

Also the Japanese yen has become stronger against the US dollar lately, so prices have started going up a bit.

I also have other hobby's and interests. Macross I'm kinda burned out on. The toys, liscensing BS, overzealous whiny fanboys etc. I'm really sick of it all.....

Lack of interest in what's out there. That's one of the reasons why I like Gundam - there are so many MSs out there so it's hard to get tired of any one (except Bandai is really pushing me with their RX-78 MGs). Outside of that, money. That being said, it's not that much of a deterrent (I got myself a 1/72 Defender kit and I'm probably getting a 1/55 Hi-Metal super tomorrow, and there's some other stuff that's really tempting).

1) Money

2) Car Payments

3) The fact that I want to get married someday (unless I find someone who doesn't mind the toys ;) )

4) Money

5) Too many cool things available for the car

6) I have to eat

7) Money

8) Loss of interest... Gundam has captured my interest much more (damn you Bandai!!!)

9) Car shows (damn things usually cost $50 to get my car into)

10) Money

Vostok 7