Why Couldn't Guld Reach The Controls?

Anyone who has watched Macross Plus should remember this scene. The YF-21 prototype cuts out in mid fight with drones, and goes into freefall, but Guld couldn't reach the controls. The things is he's in freefall, thus he's falling at basically the same rate gravities pulling, so you'd think if anything he'd be effectively weightless. So is there a good reason Guld couldn't reach the controls?

as i understand it, he refused to take the manual controls because it would look bad, he was trying to prove the yf-21's ability and value, i doubt the g's of a freefall would force him back to the point where he couldnt reach the controls, in battroid mode the 21 isnt very aerodynamic so it wouldnt have an extremely fast terminal velocity and it snot like he was thrusting down

Watching the animation, Guld appears to be reaching for the manual controls until that explosion occurs on the battroid's back. Falling like that, with no power, shouldn't bring any more than 1 g, which he should be able to take no problem. My take is that, after the explosion, he wanted to regain control through the BCS, couldn't because his concentration was shattered, and was too proud to try for the manual controls again.

Edited by Penguin