Does U.n Spacy Mind Pilots Having Long, Dyed Hair?

Phalanx

Maybe Max was actually the product of a secret breeding program carried on by a secret organization who's sole purpose was to restore the protocultre bloodline by selectively breeding humans who had odd hair coloring as that was taken as a sign of strong alient heritage!

Max was actually kwisatz haderach!

Basara and Max both wear glasses and naturally very good pilots. Think of it. They must have been cloning some people they thought might be useful like Kira Yamato in gundam seed, but kept it all a secret. Do we ever get to a max jenius flashback or basara flashback explaining thier past?

Aliens.

Maybe Max was actually the product of a secret breeding program carried on by a secret organization who's sole purpose was to restore the protocultre bloodline by selectively breeding humans who had odd hair coloring as that was taken as a sign of strong alient heritage!

Max was actually kwisatz haderach!

Basara and Max both wear glasses and naturally very good pilots. Think of it. They must have been cloning some people they thought might be useful like Kira Yamato in gundam seed, but kept it all a secret. Do we ever get to a max jenius flashback or basara flashback explaining thier past?

Aliens.

397242[/snapback]

Basara's glasses are just rock-shades John Lennon style.

If her eyebrows are green... you can bet it's the same down there too!!!

397231[/snapback]

Only Max knows for sure... and he's not saying! LOL!

397232[/snapback]

Is he the only one...or is he?

Perhaps Mylene is the Milkman's baby and the twins, Muse and Therese, with their purple hair are from the UPS man? That only leaves Miranda who was cursed with boring brown hair. Brown...no she must be the UPS man's baby and the twins are from none other than...

Gamlin's father!

That means Millia set her daughter up with her quasi-brother! Scandalous!

See all the drama next time on: As the Compressor Blades Turn

(Or my brain could simply be fried from flying 4.7 hours of goggles last night, having next to no sleep, and the 110 F heat.)

Edited by Vinnie

If her eyebrows are green... you can bet it's the same down there too!!!

397231[/snapback]

Only Max knows for sure... and he's not saying! LOL!

397232[/snapback]

Actually she has tentacles, it's a thing about zentraedi women. :ph34r:

I'm joking! :lol: I hope... :ph34r:

It's a good thing that in DYRL the meltrandi looked human still. Imagine if all the meltrandi were bald with pulsating veins in their bulbous heads... :ph34r:

I think your monitor calibration is off, these eyebrows are blue. All you need to do is a simple brightness adjustment in photoshop and you see his eyebrows are quite clearly blue. Actually, every clip of Max from Mac7 that I find his eyebrows are the same shade of blue as the dark areas of his blue hair.

Max has blue hair.

So let's take this leap of logic some folks are making here and apply it to Roy. Roy has yellow hair. Last time I checked no human on earth has yellow hair. "But yellow means blonde!" you say. No, by the logic implied in this thread Roy must dye his hair yellow because it is not actually blonde, it's yellow. See how rediculous this sounds?

post-109-1146931967_thumb.jpg

hard to find picture of max that are large enough to be absolutely sure, but this one is deifnitely blue eyebrows

397261[/snapback]

Everytime Max's eyebrows are behind his glasses they appear blue, however everything behind his glasses appears blue. I'm sure you aren't arguing that Max has giant blue patches behind his eyes.

I think your monitor calibration is off, these eyebrows are blue. All you need to do is a simple brightness adjustment in photoshop and you see his eyebrows are quite clearly blue. Actually, every clip of Max from Mac7 that I find his eyebrows are the same shade of blue as the dark areas of his blue hair.

Max has blue hair.

So let's take this leap of logic some folks are making here and apply it to Roy. Roy has yellow hair. Last time I checked no human on earth has yellow hair. "But yellow means blonde!" you say. No, by the logic implied in this thread Roy must dye his hair yellow because it is not actually blonde, it's yellow. See how rediculous this sounds?

397292[/snapback]

Looks more grey to me. Roy's hair isn't yellow though it's a pretty sandy color of tan, a pretty good aproximation of blond. It's one thing for an anime to have somwhat simplified the colors in the hgihlights of someone's hair (Minmay has several different color highlights in her black hair throughout her various appearances depending on the light conditions) but Max's isn't close to anyhting natural it's bright friggin blue!

post-752-1146936283_thumb.jpg

OK, so you're willing to accept Roy's hair color as an approximation of blonde even though it is the exact same color as his yellow belt buckle (which by this logic must also be blonde) but Max's hair must be dyed blue because it's blue and he must therefore dye it because blue does not occur in hair naturally, yet neither does belt buckle yellow... but you seem ok with taking a leap of artistic flair to accept yellow as blonde but not blue as an alternate black.

Max's exhaustive search for a cool nickname was what eventually lead him to dye his hair blue. Blue Max once experimented with yellow, but people started calling him Yellow Max and that just doesn't sound tough enough for a fighter pilot. He then switched to green, but Green Max was not fitting for an experiened ace pilot. He tried leaving it black, but Black Max sounded a little to much like a bug spray. Finally, someone suggested the color blue to him to match his uncanny ability to interject a conversation at the wrong time with off-color jokes. Thus, Blue Max was born.

hard to find picture of max that are large enough to be absolutely sure, but this one is deifnitely blue eyebrows

397261[/snapback]

Everytime Max's eyebrows are behind his glasses they appear blue, however everything behind his glasses appears blue. I'm sure you aren't arguing that Max has giant blue patches behind his eyes.

397297[/snapback]

so his 'black' eyebrows somehow lighten up and look blue behind the lense? now matter what kind of filter you put in front of it black would always look black, if black looks blue behind his magic glasses then why arent his pupils blue too? besides you can see the blue sticking out where his eyebrows comes out from behind the lense

Folks need to face it here, Max... has... blue... hair. It was a whim of the artists. Not every darn thing in an anime needs to be explained to death and analyzed. We don't need to know why the pilot's hair is long or blue or swirled into curly q's... it just is.

Max is obviously alien or of Zentran heritage. Obviously. It also explains Milia's attraction to him and his superhuman abilities. What were you saying?

And Max once roundhouse kicked Chuck Norris in the face. No, there isn't a punchline to this.

Edited by Sundown

OK, so you're willing to accept Roy's hair color as an approximation of blonde even though it is the exact same color as his yellow belt buckle (which by this logic must also be blonde) but Max's hair must be dyed blue because it's blue and he must therefore dye it because blue does not occur in hair naturally, yet neither does belt buckle yellow... but you seem ok with taking a leap of artistic flair to accept yellow as blonde but not blue as an alternate black.

397301[/snapback]

Well that's the crux of it isn't it? What natural color does Max's pale blue hair represent? With one or two exceptions just about every character in Macross has a pretty good approximation of a natural color: Minmay occasionally has red, brown, navy blue, or purple highlights in her very obviously black hair, Roy occasionally has gold highlights in his blond hair, Claudia has almost orange highlights in her obviously brown hair. But Max's hair is pale friggin Blue! What the hell is that supposed to represent?

397261[/snapback]

397297[/snapback]

so his 'black' eyebrows somehow lighten up and look blue behind the lense? now matter what kind of filter you put in front of it black would always look black, if black looks blue behind his magic glasses then why arent his pupils blue too? besides you can see the blue sticking out where his eyebrows comes out from behind the lense

397353[/snapback]

Everytime his eyebrows aren't behind his glasses they're black, are they changing color?

Yes his hair color changes, he fell in spring of drowned sex symbol. But because he was already a sex symbol the magic causes his eyebrows to shift from black to blue and back again. He is also distantly related to Dr. Tofu, even though he's German. He's also partially related to Wolfgang Krauser.

Actually the key to his hair color is his glasses. He always has his blue glasses with him. That is his weakness! Remove his glasses from his body and his hair goes back to "normal". :lol:

I think the REAL question here is:

Does UNSpacey use the same glass for their figher pilots face visors that max does for his glasses?

The implications are staggering.

Well that's the crux of it isn't it?  What natural color does Max's pale blue hair represent?  With one or two exceptions just about every character in Macross has a pretty good approximation of a natural color: Minmay occasionally has red, brown, navy blue, or purple highlights in her very obviously black hair, Roy occasionally has gold highlights in his blond hair, Claudia has almost orange highlights in her obviously brown hair.  But Max's hair is pale friggin Blue!  What the hell is that supposed to represent?

397415[/snapback]

It's not supposed to "be" anything, it just is. If I had to guess at what the artist's intent behind the blue hair was I'd say it was supposed to be black, because usually blue hair is just another representaion of black in anime. But at the same time it's not supposed to "represent" anything... his hair is just blue. Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar. The constant need for some people to put logic and reason into a cartoon amazes me. Folks are willing to accept transforming planes, 50 foot tall aliens that look exactly like humans and other things but they simply cannot believe that a human character who wears blue glasses and flies a blue plane actually has blue hair.

Well that's the crux of it isn't it?   What natural color does Max's pale blue hair represent?   With one or two exceptions just about every character in Macross has a pretty good approximation of a natural color: Minmay occasionally has red, brown, navy blue, or purple highlights in her very obviously black hair, Roy occasionally has gold highlights in his blond hair, Claudia has almost orange highlights in her obviously brown hair.  But Max's hair is pale friggin Blue!  What the hell is that supposed to represent?

397415[/snapback]

It's not supposed to "be" anything, it just is. If I had to guess at what the artist's intent behind the blue hair was I'd say it was supposed to be black, because usually blue hair is just another representaion of black in anime. But at the same time it's not supposed to "represent" anything... his hair is just blue. Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar. The constant need for some people to put logic and reason into a cartoon amazes me. Folks are willing to accept transforming planes, 50 foot tall aliens that look exactly like humans and other things but they simply cannot believe that a human character who wears blue glasses and flies a blue plane actually has blue hair.

397492[/snapback]

If you ask me I think his hair is just to show that he has a sense of being cool and hansome and to give the audience the idea that he likes to look a little fashionative. After all, Minmey said that she finds Max attractive in that episode Sweet Sixteen and I think it was also due to the fact that his hair was blue and Minmay's favorite color is blue anyway.

Also, another logic to suggest that some of the charcters don't die their hair was right in this thread of mine all along. The only charcters that seemingly appear to have died hair are the ones of Zentraedi decscent since like I said before that their hair is naturally different colors of the spectrum. I don't know if Gamlin is of Zetraedi descent because I don't know if his mother was a Meltran but I know his father is Japanese.

Edited by Phalanx

And so many of their kids had blue, blue-green, green-blue, etc hair.  Now, Mylene w/pink is just weird, but so many of the others seemed appropriate based on parentage.

397212[/snapback]

Well that's because Miria's genes are more dominant that human genes since she's a Meltraedi so this epitomizes why their children have green or teal colored hair. Mylene just dyed her hair pink as a seemingly obvious clue that that's her favorite color since most women like pink as their favorite color.

In most anime (but not all), hair color is simply another method of differentiating one character from another. Because of the limitations of animation and money (especially when we're talking about the shoe-string budgets of anime in decades past), changing a character's hair color acts as a easy, cost effective visual cue that tells the audience "this is Max...he's blue. This is Milia...she's green." It's easier than animating extra facial detail or radically altering facial features that deter from the Mikimoto esthetic.

jsARCLIGHT is on the right track defining the role of hair color/styles in Macross. People often tend to place too much importance on minor details in anime/film/any-visual-medium without stepping back to view the work as a whole. Most of the time, visual cues are just that and nothing more. But sometimes, visual cues are so distinctive the audience will place more emphasis upon the detail than it's worth. The door with the portholes, the green building, the guy with blue hair...they must "mean" something right?

Sometimes they do, but Macross is not made by David Lynch :)

And so many of their kids had blue, blue-green, green-blue, etc hair.  Now, Mylene w/pink is just weird, but so many of the others seemed appropriate based on parentage.

397212[/snapback]

Well that's because Miria's genes are more dominant that human genes since she's a Meltraedi so this epitomizes why their children have green or teal colored hair. Mylene just dyed her hair pink as a seemingly obvious clue that that's her favorite color since most women like pink as their favorite color.

397512[/snapback]

You hurt my head.

397212[/snapback]

397512[/snapback]

You hurt my head.

397572[/snapback]

actually, her hair isn't dyed pink. it's shown in flashbacks in m7 that she was born pinky-haired.