Remastered Patlabor Movie I Is Freakin' Sweet

Alright... recently finished watching the newly released, remastered, "sound renewal" DVD of the first Patlabor movie. If you're a fan, it's time to upgrade from Manga's old title ASAP.

For the unaware, both Patlabor movies underwent a "sound renewal" in 1999, getting remixed into 5.1 surround. This newly released DVD represents the first availability of the upgraded sound here in North America.

The new sound mix is just incredible. Can't comment on the English dub, since I fell in love with the Japanese voice talent watching the original subbed TV series from U.S. Manga Corps years ago. From the Helldivers chasing the rogue X-10 in the prologue, to the subtle echoes and background audio in the Ark at the start of the film, and lastly to the storm-lashed finale, the "sound renewal" version is a quantum improvement over the previously available version.

Subtitles are much improved over the Manga DVD as well. There's some story detail here that was completely missing from the Manga subtitles and English dub. The only annoying thing is that the subs translate "-san" as "Mr" or "Miss", which gets annoying the fifth time you read Noa say "Mr Asuma", they also and mispell "Ohta" as "Oohta".

As for video, the darks are good and strong and detail is sharp. There is an overall lightly "washed" cast to the colour (i.e. nothing is too bright), but I think that's an intentional choice given the overall quality of the image.

The DVD is available in both a regular, single-disc version and a limited collector's edition with second disc, a background book on the movie, and a second book collecting all the storyboards for the film. The latter left me nonplussed, but the first book is a gem IMHO, given a general lack of published Patlabor material. Haven't watched the second disc yet, as I've been swept far from my DVD player to scenic Fort Washington, PA, for two weeks of software testing thrills and excitement <_< .

At least the weather here's warmer than Calgary right now...

*Ahem* I digress. If you like Patlabor, or are looking for some mecha anime with a little more atmosphere and brains, give it a look. The remastered Patlabor 2 comes out in in July.

Edited by Penguin

Go Flames Go -> uggh we are out of the playoffs.

So, who released this new edition of the Patlabor movie and can I come and borrow it?  :p

396539[/snapback]

And now onto non-depressing news... (so sad right now)

Image Entertainmet released this baby and damn does it look great.

The DVD is available in both a regular, single-disc version and a limited collector's edition with second disc, a background book on the movie, and a second book collecting all the storyboards for the film. The latter left me nonplussed, but the first book is a gem IMHO, given a general lack of published Patlabor material. Haven't watched the second disc yet, as I've been swept far from my DVD player to scenic Fort Washington, PA, for two weeks of software testing thrills and excitement  <_< .

At least the weather here's warmer than Calgary right now...

*Ahem* I digress. If you like Patlabor, or are looking for some mecha anime with a little more atmosphere and brains, give it a look. The remastered Patlabor 2 comes out in in August.

396533[/snapback]

I'm really glad to hear that the Limited Edition is worth the expense. I'm still mulling over whether I wanted to buy the big edition or the cheap one. I'm a huge fan of both of the first two films and have really disliked my crappy Manga releases for a long time. These movies deserve a really top notch treatment on DVD and I'm glad to hear the results are stellar.

This news has helped me warm up a bit...(grrrr)

What you're getting in this movie box is basically what the Japanese fans got in their movie box. The awesome stuff that American execs think you don't care about. At least that's the pitch my toy/anime dealer used when he sold it to me. :p

What you're getting in this movie box is basically what the Japanese fans got in their movie box.  The awesome stuff that American execs think you don't care about.  At least that's the pitch my toy/anime dealer used when he sold it to me.  :p

396561[/snapback]

Honestly, I've been dissatisfied with most of my anime DVDs here. The Region 1 releases have rarely been quality productions, only now is anime finally being released in worthy editions that look better than the subtitle-less VHS tapes so many of us long time fans slaved under during anime's underground days. Stuff like this is a long time coming and I'm glad to see them.

I just got my LE P1 set as well, my Sn is 06250/10000. Really excellent remastering - I HATED the Manga release with a vengence... it had bloody encoding errors during the opening titles/Helldiver vs X10 sequence!

I do wish Bandai would rethink the packing for the discs, though. The clear plastic attachments hot-glued onto the glossy book-style case are very brittle! Every time I open/shut the case, the plastic creaks... there are already cracks in the raised edges and disc-clip.

I think the BEST overall R1 Patlabor release so far is that for the 3-disc WXIII P3 set. Really solid mastering for picture and sound, kick-ass menus and tons of extra content (not just the Minipato disc!). Now, If only the Honneamise edition of P2 is as good, I'd be swooning. :-)

Also Penguin, in the Remastered version of Patlabor 2: The music "Wyvern" that was played when those Japanese F-15 Eagles had to shoot down that mysterious pilot, was remixed with new instrumental effects. I use to have both the original and sound renewal score of Wyvern on my old computer til' it was destroyed.

Also Penguin, in the Remastered version of Patlabor 2: The music "Wyvern" that was played when those Japanese F-15 Eagles had to shoot down that mysterious pilot, was remixed with new instrumental effects. I use to have both the original and sound renewal score of Wyvern on my old computer til' it was destroyed.

396689[/snapback]

Sounds like something to look forward to. I've got the Sound Renewal soundtrack for the first film, but missed out on the one for the second. Kenji Kawai's music for the second movie is one of my favourite soundtracks, especially the piece that plays during the montage of the troops occupying Tokyo. I love that shot of the soldier standing backlit by the "Lumiere et Ombre" sign (which is "Light and Shadow" for those not French-conversant).

<non sequitur>Losing to a team named "The Mighty Ducks" just adds insult to injury :lol: </non sequitur>

Were the errors from the first Patlabor movie released by Manga properly corrected? You know the glitching and the freezing? Those should defintely be fixed!

Not concerned about the dub, so long as the sound on the original Japanese dialogue track is crisp. I doubt anyone can come remotely close to doing as good of as job for Asuma aka Ataru from Urusei Yatsura as the original seriryuu. Likewise with Goto, Kanuka, and Ohta. :)

Were the errors from the first Patlabor movie released by Manga properly corrected? You know the glitching and the freezing? Those should defintely be fixed!

Not concerned about the dub, so long as the sound on the original Japanese dialogue track is crisp. I doubt anyone can come remotely close to doing as good of as job for Asuma aka Ataru from Urusei Yatsura as the original seriryuu. Likewise with Goto, Kanuka, and Ohta. :)

396756[/snapback]

I did not encounter a single glitch or freeze while viewing the DVD.

The only dub actor I might miss from the Manga video is whoever did Gotoh. I got strangely used to his voice from my old dubbed VHS copy of Patlabor 2. :)

Edited by Penguin

I bought the MAC releases of I and II.... I was awesome, even better than I remembered it... II uses video "over compression" and has other appearance issues.... its a MAC release, go figure :rolleyes:

I wasn't too crazy about the renew versions of the P1 and P2 soundtrack music.

When is the P2 DVD box coming out in North America?

396787[/snapback]

July 11th, according to Amazon.

got my DVD in the mail today. Amazon Prime is supposed to be 2nd day, but I got mine in one... woohoo!

Anyways, this is a nice DVD... the transfer is very clean and the new 5.1 audio track is really nice, the opening sequence is just too sweet.

I purchased the Limited Collector's Edition of Patlabor The Movie and watched the two discs. Oshii's film has never looked so good to my eyes. This newly remastered release takes a great film and makes it even better with great sound and a picture that finally does the high quality animation justice. So much detail was missing in the terrible Manga release, you'll be surprised what you missed. Sound is equally impressive on this new release and a plethora of minor effects and musical notes can be heard breathing new life into the film.

The second disc features a roughly 40 minute long "Making Of" feature which can be played in six different sequences if the viewer so desires. The video and sound of this feature is also clean and crisp and the feature itself is insightful, a welcome relief from other anime special features that are only cursory in detail. There are interviews with Director Mamoru Oshii, screenwriter Kazunori Ito, mecha designer Yutaka Izubuchi, character designer Akemi Takada and music composer Kenji Kawai. While the interviews are breif overall, they are not wasted affairs and each features some important discussion of the film. Especially interesting was the location scouting done by the crew to come up with the many beautiful backgrounds for the film. It makes one appreciate the accuracy of Tokyo as portrayed in the film.

The two collector's books are a mixed bag. As Penguin said, the storyboard book is really not much of an attraction, even for a hardcore film geek like myself. About the only thing it's good for is a Sunday afternoon curiosity, going through the book while you've got the film on in the background...even if you're so inclined. However, the second book titled "Patlabor The Movie Archives" is a real find. It is a very high quality book filled with full color pictures, numerous pieces of lineart (many of which I've never seen), and all kinds of background on the Patlabor universe. There is also the occasional map, several pages of concept artwork, location photos, and naturally, numerous interviews with Oshii taken over many years in different publications. As a Patlabor fan, this book is a perfect companion, especially if you're a fan who has only watched the films and is considering getting into the OVAs and series.

While I'm happy with my purchase, I'd say the Limited Edition set is only for hardcore fans of the film. The special features are excellent, but brief and only one of the two collector's books is worth the investment. More casual fans would be well advised to pick up the single disc edition. In either case, throw away your Manga DVD and upgrade to this newly remastered DVD.

About the 'blah' Storyboards - I have actually gone thru about 2/3 of it and there are definitely some gems for the Patlabor fan, like planned-for scenes that were cut out, and Oshii's little comments about how a scene should be played, etc.

The cut-scenes are pretty illuminating, especially the subtle political manipulations by Cap. Goto to outmanoever his boss, Chief Fukushima (so as to take concrete action on the Ark)... and the Chief's bitter resentment at being put on the spot (if evidence of foul-play by E. Hoba was not forthcoming by the time the typhoon was over).

About the 'blah' Storyboards - I have actually gone thru about 2/3 of it and there are definitely some gems for the Patlabor fan, like planned-for scenes that were cut out, and Oshii's little comments about how a scene should be played, etc.

The cut-scenes are pretty illuminating, especially the subtle political manipulations by Cap. Goto to outmanoever his boss, Chief Fukushima (so as to take concrete action on the Ark)... and the Chief's bitter resentment at being put on the spot (if evidence of foul-play by E. Hoba was not forthcoming by the time the typhoon was over).

397954[/snapback]

Hmmm... perhaps I'll have to give that book a closer perusal when I get back home.

It's amazing that this film is nearly 20 years old and has passed from being SF to alternate history, but it still holds up so well. It's a very nice release too. I didn't bother with the collectors edition, but I'll probably be getting a collectors version of Honneamise, if they do one for that.

I'm not a huge Patlabor fan, but I have a hard time resisting such a cool limited edition. I'll probably pick it up in the next day or too.

How in depth is the 184 page source book? Does it include a lot of text?

If nothing else it'll give me something to have Izabuchi sign at AX this year...

Apparently (or according to the LE book), the first movie was based on the Original OVA's chronology. So probably watch the original OVA, then the first movie.

The TV series is almost entirely different in that the sequence of events occur differently (e.g. different beginning; Noa explaining Alphonse the 1st and 2nd - her previous pets; extra characters), and there doesn't seem to be much, if any, focus on the Babylon Project in the TV series. Also, the New OVAs continue from the TV series directly. The upside of the TV series is that it's got a lot of fun, but I think I prefer the Original OVAs' tone.

Since the 2nd movie seems to take place quite some time after everything else, including the last movie, WXIII, maybe you could watch it last.

So probably go in this order:

Original OVA -> Movie 1 -> Movie 3 -> Movie 2

And then slot in the TV Series+New OVAs in a different order.

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like something to look forward to. I've got the Sound Renewal soundtrack for the first film, but missed out on the one for the second. Kenji Kawai's music for the second movie is one of my favourite soundtracks, especially the piece that plays during the montage of the troops occupying Tokyo. I love that shot of the soldier standing backlit by the "Lumiere et Ombre" sign (which is "Light and Shadow" for those not French-conversant).

396690[/snapback]

I have the Renewal P1 OST as well. Happened to get it by chance on ebay. I never entirely knew what it meant by sound renewal. I have the original P2 OST. I woudn't mind checking out the Renewal version.

Shame I hear they didn't include the original audio though. I like having the original mix as well.

I only have a dub tape of this, so i may pic this up, being the Patlabor fan I am.

Shame I didn't enter the ANN contest. Judging by the third place winner, I would've been a shoe in.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus