Full metal Alchemist

If by well you mean mediocre then you are right. One of my employees talks with someone at AS (he used to work with him before they both split up) and he has heard firsthand from that guy that both FMA and GitS fell very short of AS'es expectations. AS was expecting to have another InuYasha on their hands with GitS and have been outright "disappointed" with it's performance.

Compared to their other regular big pull ratings dogs like Family Guy, Robot Chicken and Futurama GitS and FMA barely did half if not a third of that draw.

Then again they even openly admit that their Saturday night lineup is weak in the ratings field, openly mocking the Saturday anime fans in their cards. Anything short of InuYasha on Saturdays does poorly compared to their Sunday comedy block.

I am just suprised how quickly they pulled GitS from their lineup. It vanished from weekdays so fast it made my head spin... I was hoping to see it again so I could catch some of the episodes I missed but it just got yanked so fast. I assumed they yanked it so they could push Bebop due to them finally running the movie this coming labor day weekend but I would have hoped they would have at least moved it somewhere else rather than just outright yanking it.

• 4 months later...

Well I just did a marathon view of FMA and I still enjoy it. But I still want to read the manga since it typically tends to flesh out the characters more. This is one anime I must say that the plot, character development and overall theme IMO pushed the anime genre further. IMO it is a pity they cannot get better English dubs made for these. :(

Well I just did a marathon view of FMA and I still enjoy it. But I still want to read the manga since it typically tends to flesh out the characters more. This is one anime I must say that the plot, character development and overall theme IMO pushed the anime genre further. IMO it is a pity they cannot get better English dubs made for these. :(

357966[/snapback]

Did you watch the movie yet?

FMA was a good series, watched through the whole thing, and it was a pretty well written storyline. I think the end was a bit too rushed, but in terms of story telling, it was far better than most.

I can't wait for the movie to come out at some point. It was released in the summer at Japan, and from the little I read, it really puts a closure to the series. The only part that was a bit annoying was the fact that Mustang and his crew never did encounter the Homonculus all that much with exception of the final fight against Pride.

I can't wait for the movie to come out at some point.  It was released in the summer at Japan, and from the little I read, it really puts a closure to the series.  The only part that was a bit annoying was the fact that Mustang and his crew never did encounter the Homonculus all that much with exception of the final fight against Pride.

358072[/snapback]

I'm almost certain the movie isn't licensed yet, but you can dowload it through bittorrent from here: http://www.boxtorrents.com/details.php?id=128771

The subs have terribly sucky timing, but it's better than nothing. Btw, the movie is really good. Worth waiting for, though I wish I hadn't had to.

Edited by Shmitty

The movie isn't bad. I love the series but it wasn't the ending I was looking for. Good but not how I would have ended it. I was bummed out about the original ending. I typically like ending that aren't so happy in my anime but the original TV ending was a bummer for me.

Ok guys for those of you who've seen the complete tv series read on... everyone else seeking to avoid spoilers stop here.

Anyways, I got some questions bouncing in my head for sometime now.

First, in the final episode Al uses the Philosopher's Stone and resurrects the near death Ed AND restores his entire body. Ok, cool as I understand it he is able to do so BECAUSE he possesses the stone, correct? Since he WAS the stone did it actually require the entire amount to do the deed?

Second, after Ed awakens and see Rozu and is congratulated by her, he realizes Al is gone. This is what stumps me, although both Al and Ed are smart enough work the seven seal/circle thingies, when Ed finally does it he does NOT possess the Philosopher's Stone... how is able to resurrect Al without his body mind you AND restore the soul AND erase Al's memories AND reverse his age ALL WITHOUT the stone?

Third, why didn't Ed die? Surely Ed didn't think he'd survive the process that is why he even asked his father in the final episode, how was it possible he survived. Sure he made it to the other side of the gate, but according to his father Ed exchanged his life experiences in the process.

I am not sure I buy that since the father did not believe in "toku teaku (sp)", but Ed did. As such, was there a compromise in this situation in what really happened?

Fifth, in the film can Wrath still do alchemy? Does this loose end get resolved?

Thoughts? Thanks. :)

• 3 years later...

@Azrael and other Mods: Sorry for bumping...I didn't want to get my ass chewed for starting a new topic w/o searching first. :unsure:

So...uhmmmm...the remake is supposedly out. :mellow:

Anybody watching this?

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/04/05...ments/#comments

There are some VA changes, BTW. But look on the bright side we have "Grace O' Connor" playing the role of a villain. :D

Also according to the comments in the link above..this will be a much more faithful manga adaptation. :huh:

Edited by grss1982

So wait, are they restarting it or picking up from somewhere within the first series?

[edit]looks like it's more of the latter...

No matter, I liked the first one, will definitely watch this one.

Edited by shiroikaze

So wait, are they restarting it or picking up from somewhere within the first series?

[edit]looks like it's more of the latter...

No matter, I liked the first one, will definitely watch this one.

More like the former. They are remaking it.

This new series is supposed to follow the manga a lot more closely than the previous anime. About half way through, the anime took a severe detour from the original source material.

That's pretty much what I meant by picking up after some point in the first series, I think anyone who followed FMA (or most anime) knew about that. I didn't get to watch the first episode yet until last night, so from the preview it looks like WolfX is right. :p

Edited by shiroikaze

Yep, definately looks like a full remake, Hughes not knowing the Elric's is your big tip-off. So far so good, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Edited by Keith

Watching the first episode of the remake now. Did they change Mustang's voice actor? I remember his voice was much deeper. Now he sounds like a certain Lockon Stratos...

Yes....there's a whole buncha voice-actors changed actually. I read it on sankaku some time ago. I'm not sure if i like the new art direction...everyone looks so ....err...fat and chibi.

Its a remake that occurs right before the whole Lior thing in the first anime.

Frankly, it's been a little too long, and I'm not really willing to reinvest my time in it, as the first one was just beyond disappointing. Hayes will probably get killed off again too, so forget it.

This new series is supposed to follow the manga a lot more closely than the previous anime. About half way through, the anime took a severe detour from the original source material.

Yep. The anime story was very crappy compared to the real story of the manga.

Second episode aired... They decided to cover a lot of ground in this one. Guess they're trying not to focus too much on the first parts of the story, before the old anime completely veered off from the manga (though it did admittedly sport big differences right from the getgo), and get to the completely unanimated stuff sooner than later.

As for voice acting changes, Grace O'Connor as Lust was a nice move, but the loss of Jeffery Wilder as Roy Mustang hurt. <_< Oh well hopefully I can grow accustomed to hearing "Lockon" instead. Other changes didn't really produce any reaction in me.

Edited by VF-25 Messiah

First episode to me didn't do anything for me...I like the opening sequence, but everything else was rather boring to me, and the name calling got old after the 3rd or 4th time it was mentioned in a 2 minute span.

At least he has Ali al-Saachez (Hughes) to keep him company ^_^

Hughes was always 'Ali' (Fujiwara) though. No change means everything feels as it should be.

I guess I just identify Okawa as Mustang more than other character, so a non-Okawa Mustang feels kind of off.

Miki's Mustang isn't bad but Okawa left big shoes for him to fill.

Given how things transpire in the story Hughes wont be nearly as

longlived

as Ali. :mellow:

• 10 months later...

Been watching them raw every week.

It. Is. Good.

I guess I just identify Okawa as Mustang more than other character, so a non-Okawa Mustang feels kind of off.

Miki's Mustang isn't bad but Okawa left big shoes for him to fill.

He's filled them shoes pretty quickly though. :)

So anyone else going to catch the dub\'s premier tonight?

Nope, subbed streaming through Funi is already up through 43, and the blurays are out in April/May. I will give you a spoiler though, this version of the show

Is FAR superior to the first series!

Edited by Keith