Full metal Alchemist

So did anybody cathc this new anime that just aired today? Not to be confused with FMP this series is about these two dudes who when were little practiced some crazy magic which really screwed them up. How you ask? Well one of them sorta became a suit of armor and the other became a cyborg a metal arm and leg. But these two dudes just kinda wonder the world. One day they wonder into this town where there is this holy man who can do magic. They find this wierd so they go to check it out. They are then attacked by him and you learn about what these two dudes are capible of. The suit of armor dude can take apart his body and reassemble it :blink: and the other dude can use magic.

So far it seems really cool I hope it keeps it up with the coolness of the first ep.

Any word on a fansub?

Edit- On a more sick and twisted note I saw the live action sailor moon show........ it was uhhhh disturbing I was kinda like this guy throughoutthe entire thing :unsure:

Edited by bob joe mac

• 6 months later...

I was going to start my own thread about FMA, but since Bob joe mac had this thread first I'll just bump it instead.

So, has anybody watched this show? I've seen up to #27, and I have to say I'm impressed. I was skepical about the concept at first, but this show has really hooked me.

I was going to start my own thread about FMA, but since Bob joe mac had this thread first I'll just bump it instead.

So, has anybody watched this show? I've seen up to #27, and I have to say I'm impressed. I was skepical about the concept at first, but this show has really hooked me.

ah I saw the first few. liekd it but wanted to wait till more are released.

I've downloaded through episode 27 but have only watched through about episode 8. It's basically about two kids whose father left them in wartime, and later on their mother dies. The two kids are trained in alchemy and decide that they should try and bring their mother back from the dead. Alchemy with human subjects is forbidden and things go awry so the younger brother loses his body (so his older brother attaches his soul to a suit of armor) and the older brother loses his arm and leg which is later replaced with auto mail.

The show, as far as I've watched, is about them searching for a way to give the younger brother a body again.

I think it's pretty good stuff. The characters are interesting and uses of alchemy are original. Definitely worth checking out if you've got the time.

I've downloaded through episode 27 but have only watched through about episode 8. It's basically about two kids whose father left them in wartime, and later on their mother dies. The two kids are trained in alchemy and decide that they should try and bring their mother back from the dead. Alchemy with human subjects is forbidden and things go awry so the younger brother loses his body (so his older brother attaches his soul to a suit of armor) and the older brother loses his arm and leg which is later replaced with auto mail.

The show, as far as I've watched, is about them searching for a way to give the younger brother a body again.

I think it's pretty good stuff. The characters are interesting and uses of alchemy are original. Definitely worth checking out if you've got the time.

Ah man you haven't even gotten to the intense stuff yet. I mean this show touches on crap like confirming your own existince and stuff. BUT it doesn't EVER get all ohhh... my dad didn't love me crap like the majority of anime nowadays.

This show is the crap thats all I can really say. The beginning really led me to believe it was going to be a nice happy little "hey lets go train in alchemy and get our bodies back crap" but man the show changed MASSIVLY after Nina.

Anyword on somebody expressing interest with a liscense?

Anyword on somebody expressing interest with a liscense?

I hope somebody does. I think this show could easily do well in the R1 market. It should appeal to a broad segment of the anime community. The second season has just started, so we'll have to keep our eyes open for announcements.

That was sad at the end T_T Why God, why? That was one of my favorite characters :(

I predicted *that character's* death in the first 10 seconds of the episode, but otherwise it really came out of the blue. I think that, like Trigun, its becomming more serious in its latter episodes.

• 11 months later...

Wow...talk about digging up an old thread. :lol:

I didn't have time to catch this while it was out....so I only watched and finished it this past few weeks.

I really liked it at the beginning. Lots of humour and action. Later episodes became depressing like...quite alot of people who you wouldn't expect to die died. Like omg....they didn't spare the kids. :ph34r:

Once it got even more serious, it got abit weird. There were inconsistencies thrown everywhere like for example....if Edward could repair his automail using alchemy (in the last few episodes), why didn't he do it way back in the mid episodes instead of going all the way to Resembool? In the later episodes, everything becomes rushed. People start dying without much character development, mysteries of alchemy are revealed but yet open more plot holes are opened.

Another thing I wasn't satiesfied with was the potential of all the characters in FMA. They were all likeable and interesting characters. But it was just too bad that their personalities weren't used to full potential. It was always about Edward and Alphonse....which I thought could be done with alot less. Take Roy Mustang for example. I thought he would be quite central to the story. But I was disappointed that he only showed up in probably 20% of the series. Same goes for the rest of the millitary personell like Hawkeye, Maes Hugh etc . and humoncolous.

The final explanation about Alchemy was even more dodged...like yeah...i'm supposed to believe that. So what happens when people from Edward's world dies? And that gate...is it me or does it look like the gate of purgatory? Limbo perhaps?

Pretty good story and buildup...but like most anime....the build towards the climax and end was pretty meh. <_<

Btw...wasn't there some FMA RPG game?

I haven't read the manga, but I have to wonder if FMA suffered from the usual "compression" of the later chapters when they translated it to anime. But overall I still have to give this show a 5 star rating. And its very rare that I rate a show that high.

BTW, has anybody heard anything new about the movie?

Edited by bsu legato

But overall I still have to give this show a 5 star rating. And its very rare that I rate a show that high.

I agree. I would give very few anime series, movies, or whatever top marks. I'm not even into the magic sort of thing but FMA really pulled it off. The really need to watch deep into the series to appreciate how detailed the story is. There are intense moments early on but things get so much better later on. Some scenes really catch you off guard and you really get into the characters.

I started watching the dubbed versions on Cartoon Network but stopped. The voice acting is average at best. Funny scenes are not as funny and the intensity is far less then the original. I recommend finding the fan-subs.

I'd give it only a 3.5. It had much potential to be 5. You can say my hopes were quite high with it only to discover much was rushed at the end. All the characters were likeable, and all of them had such great potential for development but not much was done.

IE:

1.) They could do alot with Winry's angst after finding out her parent's killers. But what does she do? Runs off...forgives and heads back to Reesenbool. War sucks...oh well...abit too fast IMHO.

2.) Major Armstrong...omg....they could've done so much more with this character as well...along with Roy Mustang. What made them fight the war....they were reluctant...but why do it?

3.) Scar. I think his story ended prematurely....albeit much was said about him and his goals. Hohenheim too.

I was also disappointed that the way the series ended , didn't leave much closure....and also kinda closed that Al and Edward's adventures are long gone at least until much later.

Anyway, about the movie, the screener is out raw today. I'll wait for a sub.

Edited by wolfx

Those are good enough suggestions, but the main story always about the Elric brothers. Mustang, Armstrong and even Winry were all supporting cast members. Add too much to them and it would take away from the main story. I was surprised they managed the whole 50 odd episode run with as little "filler" as it was.

• 4 months later...

I just started watching this show and I had to post about how much I like it. I'm up to episode 20 and I'm really blown away. It's the best show I've seen in a long time.

Can anybody tell me how many episodes there are in total?

I haven't read the manga, but I have to wonder if FMA suffered from the usual "compression" of the later chapters when they translated it to anime. But overall I still have to give this show a 5 star rating. And its very rare that I rate a show that high.

The anime splits completely from the manga as of episode 25, and is a hell of a lot better than the manga is.

Can anybody tell me how many episodes there are in total?

51 episodes.

Without spoiling it, how was the ending?  I'm going thru the series' manga and really enjoying it.

Pretty good. It provided closure for the series in a way that ended one story but opened the door for another to continue on (ie, the movie).

Without spoiling it, how was the ending?  I'm going thru the series' manga and really enjoying it.

Pretty good. It provided closure for the series in a way that ended one story but opened the door for another to continue on (ie, the movie).

324661[/snapback]

Nah...i felt the whole gate thing and "Equivalent Trade" to be rather kooky and last minute.

Nah...i felt the whole gate thing and "Equivalent Trade" to be rather kooky and last minute.

324896[/snapback]

You have GOT to be kidding. "Equivalent Trade," or whatever your translation of choice calls it, is one of the fundamental premises of the show.

324901[/snapback]

Yeah. And with the introduction of the black gate, that whole premise is shot to hell. What "Touka Kouka"? (Equivalent Trade)

SPOILERS

We're just feeding off the dead people from another realm. This is the truth about Alchemy.

To be fair, with the introduction of the black gate, everything was a big blur to me. It felt like the whole Touka Kouka premise was shot to hell when they revealed the truth of Alchemy. I gotta rewatch the last few episodes but can't be stuffed. Probably go read the manga now.

Edited by wolfx

Here is a stupid quesiton: I was watching this show on Adult Swim and then they yanked it and rescheduled it late at night on weekdays and have added no new episodes past episode 20 something...

... I'm taking a wild guess that they will not air the last episodes of the series thanks to dismal ratings, just like Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Has anyone heard if they plan to actually show the end of the show or are they just going to yank another anime, half finished, again?

Here is a stupid quesiton: I was watching this show on Adult Swim and then they yanked it and rescheduled it late at night on weekdays and have added no new episodes past episode 20 something...

... I'm taking a wild guess that they will not air the last episodes of the series thanks to dismal ratings, just like Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Has anyone heard if they plan to actually show the end of the show or are they just going to yank another anime, half finished, again?

325047[/snapback]

I've heard here & there that they are going to do the rest of both shows as "season 2".

You figure they want to draw it out to keep people coming back. US TV usually doesn't have 50+ episode seasons. Personally I wouldn't have attention span for it...

I've been hearing the exact opposite that due to subpar performance of both shows they will NOT carry either past the current load and replace them with some other show in the fall bracket... Adult Swim only moves shows to weekday latenight that it wants to die, that is the "we are only keeping this around to milk for a few more advertising dollars" timeslot.

I don't who you guys have been listening too...

Fullmetal Alchemist and Standalone Complex both did well on Adult Swim. They stopped at the end of their first seasons and went on break, in part because neither series had been fully dubbed.

Both are back with new episodes in October and November respectively, and both in the prime timeslots.