Fanchildren, Cease Thy Whining

Screw this! I'm happy with the Special Edition DVD set that I have. Why go back?

397307[/snapback]

The DVDs aren't Special Edition.

They're a THIRD version of the movie.

397573[/snapback]

i asked this before but didn't get a clear answer. are the DVDs the same version as the VHS boxset i linked to?

397775[/snapback]

The NEW DVDs will be. Probably.

The CURRENT DVDs aren't.

The CURRENT DVDs aren't.

397804[/snapback]

lol. well i hope the new dvds will be the equivalent to the THX VHS set as I believe that was the last edition to be 'intact' before the computers arrived and starting CGing the place up.

The CURRENT DVDs aren't.

397804[/snapback]

lol. well i hope the new dvds will be the equivalent to the THX VHS set as I believe that was the last edition to be 'intact' before the computers arrived and starting CGing the place up.

397826[/snapback]

And the last version that Han shot first.

is there that much picture quality difference between 1080i and 1080p?

397841[/snapback]

Twice as much. :p

Depends on what you're doing, really.

It's probably not going to be visible most of the time.

Uh fernarias, you're going to be getting the title "no animated avatars" like me if you leave your animated avatar there (and lose the avatar). Just fyi.

It's a non cleaned up version from what I've read. That doesn't sound all that great. I guess I'll wait until he releases it using the footage they restored for the special edition, before the add ins.

Why buy DVDs when HD is right around the corner. I wouldn't buy the first round of HDs either since they are to be 1080i and 1080p is also just around the corner. So I'm going to wait until the original SW trilogy is available on HD 1080p.

I guess for people who can't wait for it and who want it now. Sort of like the yamato first release toys. :D

I hope the whole mess of "HD vs Bluray as the standard" mess is sorted out quick. Fark owning two players or hybrid players or having a choice between two different formats to choose from. Format wars suck.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Uh fernarias, you're going to be getting the title "no animated avatars" like me if you leave your animated avatar there (and lose the avatar).  Just fyi.

It's a non cleaned up version from what I've read.  That doesn't sound all that great.  I guess I'll wait until he releases it using the footage they restored for the special edition, before the add ins.

397859[/snapback]

The video was NOT restored for the Special Edition. It was restored for the "THX" release the year before SE hit theaters.

Odds are very good that they ARE using the restored footage, and intentionally NOT saying it because of people that think restored = SE.

I've pretty much decided against getting this set. The SE are far superior to the THX versions in SFX.

If and when they have this exact set (if not a 6-pack Diamond Encrusted "Force" sexology) in 1080p on Blu-Ray, I'll probably get it then...

When did this rule against animated avatars come out anyway? After the last board crash?

Edited by Uxi

I've pretty much decided against getting this set.  The SE are far superior to the THX versions in SFX.

397910[/snapback]

I guess its an age thing. Those of us who saw them in the theaters, who grew up knowing them one way, want to be able to see them that way again. For us, the SE films detract from the experience, not add to it.

meh. if they had just cleaned up the effects with the CGI x-wings, I would have been happy. I understand that some people love stop motion and models and what not, I love the visuals, if computer graphics does it better than that's where I'm at.

I've pretty much decided against getting this set.  The SE are far superior to the THX versions in SFX.

397910[/snapback]

I guess its an age thing. Those of us who saw them in the theaters, who grew up knowing them one way, want to be able to see them that way again. For us, the SE films detract from the experience, not add to it.

398027[/snapback]

Yep that's pretty much my feelings about it. I don't mind the SE versions but I everytime I watch them I think about the changes. I'll be buying the these new sets for the old versions. Maybe sell off the SE box set I have. Now I can stop watching the LD to DVD rip I have of The Empire Strikes Back.

He will probably just keep releasing new versions forever. It's always good to have one that shows what it was like back then for nostalgia and to know what it was like to see the movie during a time when they were working with limits back then for fan and history purposes.

If a newer generation wants to know what the original looked like, they can now see it as it was originally.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

He will probably just keep releasing new versions forever.

398176[/snapback]

Which is fine with me. I only ever wanted one version: the originals. Now I'll have those. I don't need anything else.

397910[/snapback]

398027[/snapback]

I beg to differ. The only one I didn't see in the theaters was ANH. I still prefer the new DVD versions.

I have the TXH vhs versions, the one that was supposed to be the last time they released it.

Is this the same version?

398224[/snapback]

I THINK so.

If it is, it should benefit from the vastly higher image quality of DVD.

I actually started rewatching my VHS set the other day. Was surprised at exactly how bad the image was. Couldn't even get a proper black, just some soupy gray.

397910[/snapback]

398027[/snapback]

I beg to differ. The only one I didn't see in the theaters was ANH. I still prefer the new DVD versions.

398225[/snapback]

As much as people like to scream bloody murder today, the revised ANH Death Star battle was damn cool to see in the theater, back in '97.

397910[/snapback]

398027[/snapback]

398225[/snapback]

As much as people like to scream bloody murder today, the revised ANH Death Star battle was damn cool to see in the theater, back in '97.

398234[/snapback]

Unless you're the analytical guy going "How the fack did they get a donut explosion? That stupid ring makes no freaking sense!"

I have the TXH vhs versions, the one that was supposed to be the last time they released it.

Is this the same version?

No, the movies had already been altered a number of times before those were ever released.

These will be the original theatrical version.

Unless you're the analytical guy going "How the fack did they get a donut explosion? That stupid ring makes no freaking sense!"

398236[/snapback]

Enlighten me. How does the ring make no sense? I'm not being difficult-- I actually think the ring looks dumb, overused, and like a Star Trek VI ripoff. But I need real reasons to hate it.

Enlighten me.  How does the ring make no sense?  I'm not being difficult-- I actually think the ring looks dumb, overused, and like a Star Trek VI ripoff.  But I need real reasons to hate it.

398296[/snapback]

And explosion in space should be round. There should not be some random planar ring coming in a three dimensial environment like space.

Enlighten me.  How does the ring make no sense?  I'm not being difficult-- I actually think the ring looks dumb, overused, and like a Star Trek VI ripoff.  But I need real reasons to hate it.

398296[/snapback]

And explosion in space should be round. There should not be some random planar ring coming in a three dimensial environment like space.

398300[/snapback]

Not entirely correct... the shape of an explosion in space will still be determined by the progression and nature of the exploding... um... thing (damn... too early in the morning for real words). If one side ejects more flaming debris than the other, you'd see a spike to that side, etc., etc. If, say, the Death Star's reactor fractured along a seam or plane or something and the explosion only progressed out through there, then maybe the a planar ring explosion might make more sense, were it not for the question of how it keeps burning as it travels without a supply of oxygen.

I dunno... I kinda agree with Sundown. First time I saw it, I immediately thought "WTF... that's from Star Trek VI?" It seemed like an unnecessary embellishment, but not a major flaw. I had grown to like the fact that the Death Star just went "BAM" and was gone, without a lot progressive explosions rippling around and so forth.

I'll definitely pick up the originals. I saw the first film when I was 7, and it'll be nice to see it in more theatrical-quality than the original widescreen VHS I picked up way back when. But, I still love the SEs for all their surround-enhanced audio goodness... especially since they took out Luke's "wuss-scream" from Empire. The poor guy had enough challenges to his masculinity by being compared to Han without adding that little insult. :D

Edited by Penguin

398236[/snapback]

Enlighten me. How does the ring make no sense? I'm not being difficult-- I actually think the ring looks dumb, overused, and like a Star Trek VI ripoff. But I need real reasons to hate it.

398296[/snapback]

There's just no way to make it happen. That's part of why it looks dumb.

398236[/snapback]

It bothered me about as much as the fact that there was sound in space. :rolleyes:

398308[/snapback]

Yeah... I grant sounds under artistic license. Physics-defying laser rings... no.

I did like that about the old PC game Tyrian, though. They claimed the sounds were generated by the ship's computer in response to sensor readings.

Edited by JB0

I just hate the ring because it looks like poop, especially not really aligned with any axis of the planet or the deathstar that was exploding. It just felt odd to me that both the dreadful explosion of Aldaraan and the explosion of the ominous Death Star would go, "look at meeee... I'm soo preetty!!! Colooors!" For me, it detracted from the mood and storytelling. The original just seemed a lot more blunt and to the point with its classic Star Warsy quick explosive poofs. It was a poof that simply said, "owned!"

397910[/snapback]

398027[/snapback]

I DID see them on the theaters in the original run. At least TESB and RotJ and I think I might have been taking as a toddler to the first one, but that's just speculation. I remember standing in line with my dad and had to take two complete circuits around the theater for RotJ.

You pick and choose what physics you like and dislike in SW? :)

398447[/snapback]

I grant all movies some liberty.

Otherwise I'd be running around bitching about how everything flickers at 24Hz.

398467[/snapback]

You need a better TV that uses reverse 3:2 pulldown to eliminate "judder"

• 2 weeks later...
'Star Wars' Fans Upset About DVD Plans for Original Trilogy

Despite earlier reports that Lucasfilm would be re-releasing the original unedited theatrical versions of the first three Star Wars movies on DVD, it now turns out that they will be copied from the laserdiscs of the films released in the mid'90s, formatted for the conventional TV screen and not wide-screen "letterbox" versions. The revelation has provoked anger among Star Wars fans, expressed on such Internet sites as www.thedigitalbits.com, and www.hometheaterforum.com. VideoBusiness.com quoted Lucasfilm spokesman John Singh as saying. "We hoped that by releasing the original movies as a bonus disc, it would be a way to give the fans something that is fun. We certainly didn't want to be become a source of frustration for fans."

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-05-25/