Caprica! Dynasty Meets BSG

SciFi has announced plans for a prequel series "Caprica". It's set 50 yarns before BSG in a society not that much different than ours but technology is rapidily increasing. Featuring the families of the Greystones and the Adamas the series will have political intrigue, shadowy figures, and sexual themes. The creation of the first A.I. will eventually lead to the Cylons. Ronald D. Moore & David Eick are back producing.caprica

Dang it....can't merge with the BSG thread..... *shakes fist at Roy*

ould be either the worst idea since Enterprise, or the best thing since Galactica itself.

Agreed. RDM and Eick are going to be splitting time between this and BSG...so pray quality doesn't drop with BSG (not to mention the budget). I'm not happy with the idea of a spin-off this early in BSG's life....If Season 3 does bad....the people upstairs would probably look down on a spin-off.

I'll give it a shot, but unless it covers the first Cylon War, this doesn't look like a winner.

394877[/snapback]

Sci Fi Channel has announced a new spinoff series from BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. CAPRICA will be set about 50 years before and will center on the cataclysmic events that inform the current series.

The new series will be more about how the "bad guys' rise to power." It will detail how robotic Cylon Alliance rose to power and decimated the 12 Colonies of Kobol (Caprica is the name of the largest planet in the system).

CAPRICA will weave together corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga.

The new series is being and executive-produced by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick. 24's Remi Aubuchon will write the script.

sounds good to me... seems more like a prequel.

Isn't BSG drama enough yet?

it's *this* close to become a soap already

394916[/snapback]

Yeah, this will probably water down the BSG universe and it's impact on its audience...

• 2 years later...

I thought i would brush the dust off this old thread, With BSG (Sadly) coming to an end. The new series/prequel "CAPRICA" will be coming out soon.

Latest info:

****Caprica is an upcoming television series set in the fictional Battlestar Galactica universe. Set 50 years earlier, Caprica will tell the story of how humanity first created the robotic Cylons, who would later plot to destroy human civilization.

An extended version of the pilot will have its world premiere exclusively on DVD on April 21, 2009.[1] In early 2010, the first season, composed of the two-hour pilot and 18 hour-long episodes, is expected to begin airing on the Sci-Fi Channel in the United States.*****

My two cents, I thinks its going to be a really inventive series, there was a lot of griping and complaints when BSG was 1st released as an updated version of the original, unless you live in a hole, its probably one the series ever made in recent history, especially for Sci-Fi. So when the 1st episode or Pilot comes out, I'll definitely give it a try. There will be plenty of intrigue, war, violence and suspense involved!!!

This is the Official Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQlhlHwXjj0

As much as I love BSG, I thought this was an idiotic idea when I heard about it.

About a month ago or so, on SciFi, they put up a few minutes (like 2 or 3, I think) clip from the first episode. It's probably still on there.

It actually looks pretty good. Actually kind of looking forward to it.

Wait, one of the main characters is named Daniel? As in Cylon #7? Maybe this is the sole reason Ellen dropped his name a few episodes back...

I had that same thought when I saw all this today..... Hmmm. What strange goings on. B))

I do not have high hopes with Jane Espenson being one of the major developers/writer for this series. I'm sorry but almost every episode she wrote for BSG was Soap Opera like crap, with Deadlock being the worst episode of the series.

I'll give it a chance, would be nice to see a glimpse of the Colonies before the war. But I would rather a prequel deal with Adama when he was a Viper pilot set during the first Cylon war. Or go even farther back than that and do a series called Kobol, and really dive into the mythology of BSG.

Edited by Evil Porkchop

Well so far the really good news is that Battlestar Galactica has been such a hit with both Scifi & Non Scifi fans that it opened the doors for this prequel So If Caprica pulls off another win for the franchise, either two possibilities which is other series dealing with this Universe will continue or what I have been reading and hearing from others is that Caprica will start off how we see it in the trailer on Youtube, but eventually take us into the major battles that disrupt the 12 Colonies, Battlestar's in action and hopefully a much younger Adama & Colonel Tigh in Vipers!!

But as always, we have to wait and see what unfolds. Waiting sucks!!!!!!!!! B))

I've been eagerly anticipating Caprica, a unique take on scifi traditionally dominated by space pew pew and ships slugging it out. Galactica was so successful because of this "realistic science fiction" showing the worst aspects of human nature, and I love it. Caprica seems to be an extension of this formula.

Although I would love to see some of those epic fleet battles of the first cylon wars, I have a feeling that those will take a back seat to the slice of life approach of the new series.

so i'm confused. I thought that the toasters were already at war with the colonies when the final five arrived. I thought the toasters agreed to end the war if the final five created humanoid cylons. but daniel (#7) is already planted as an agent from the trailer. so what's the chronology?

vinnie

so i'm confused. I thought that the toasters were already at war with the colonies when the final five arrived. I thought the toasters agreed to end the war if the final five created humanoid cylons. but daniel (#7) is already planted as an agent from the trailer. so what's the chronology?

vinnie

Daniel is just the name of a character in Caprica so far. His connection to #7 Daniel or the final five is all fan speculation and nothing more at this point.

I've been eagerly anticipating Caprica, a unique take on scifi traditionally dominated by space pew pew and ships slugging it out. Galactica was so successful because of this "realistic science fiction" showing the worst aspects of human nature, and I love it. Caprica seems to be an extension of this formula.

Although I would love to see some of those epic fleet battles of the first cylon wars, I have a feeling that those will take a back seat to the slice of life approach of the new series.

Oh you'll see some epic battles!! B))

• 1 month later...

I got shipping confirmation from Amazon last Friday that they had mailed my copy of Caprica, I've got a half dozen people lined up to watch it with me / borrow it, I'm a little surprised how many of my friends are anxious to watch it, a lot of people, myself included were poo-pooing it when we saw the first teaser.

I don't see why there is so much hate towards Caprica.

I know fanboys just want to see more capital ships slugging it out and vipers going pew pew, but I for one think that the slice-of-life approach in Caprica will make it an interesting and unique show as opposed to seeing the same sci-fi epic space battle drama.

I don't see why there is so much hate towards Caprica.

I know fanboys just want to see more capital ships slugging it out and vipers going pew pew, but I for one think that the slice-of-life approach in Caprica will make it an interesting and unique show as opposed to seeing the same sci-fi epic space battle drama.

Thats what I was thinking, this is the sort of thing that I can get past the otherhalf without her going "Oh no Sci Fi. Mmmm spaceships. No thanks!"

I'll tell you why I was, because the initial teaser that they showed for Caprica, had no sciene fictiony elements to it at all, it showed Eric Stultz(Spelling sorry) wading through a teen night club and he was asking questions about a missing daughter and something about teen sex party. The end.

It looked like CSI- meets 90210 on what we are told is Caprica, there just wasn't a hook in the teaser that looked a little interesting. Now with the actual trailer commercial available I was corrected and will give it a try, but with the Sci Fi Channel bluntly denouncing the Sci Fi Genre as being too limitting, I expected the worst at the time.

I'll tell you why I was, because the initial teaser that they showed for Caprica, had no sciene fictiony elements to it at all, it showed Eric Stultz(Spelling sorry) wading through a teen night club and he was asking questions about a missing daughter and something about teen sex party. The end.

It looked like CSI- meets 90210 on what we are told is Caprica, there just wasn't a hook in the teaser that looked a little interesting. Now with the actual trailer commercial available I was corrected and will give it a try, but with the Sci Fi Channel bluntly denouncing the Sci Fi Genre as being too limitting, I expected the worst at the time.

I am not too keen on the exact context Scifi denounced the whole genre as being too limiting... but taken on face value I tend to agree. There is only so much of a story you can tell with giant spaceships, androids, and lasers without making every episode be like a 40 minute commercial for toys. The reimagined Galactica was successful in part because they didn't pay too much attention to these elements:

- All small arms on the show are models of actual firearms, no futuristic laser rifle.

- Nothing on either the Galactica or Pegasus looks particularly state of the art (aside from FTL)

- I could go on and on... :p

But did I care? Not in the least, because the human drama > props.

I believe the scene with the night club is a virtual reality environment Grayson had invented the technology.

They also will show a prototype Cylon centurion.

You'll probably see a centurion at some point but seeing as how Grayson's daughter or w/e is essentially the prototype for all cylons I'm not sure you'll see one right away.

Personally, the creation of the Cylons on caprica was/is less interesting to me than how they went from machines to organic beings. Guess what, Ellen did a super job explaining that already. Caprica seems like an attempt to cash in now that the good stuff is over, nothing more. I'll wait until i can find it for free before I bother with it.

Just bought it and watched it today. Great DVD! Very well done. Stoltz and Morales are superb, but the one that plays Zoe steals the show! Yes there is a centurion in this premiere. Can't wait for the series!

So would you say getting the DVD is worth it? I'm very tempted to do so!! B))