Caprica! Dynasty Meets BSG

Hopefully, a new series. The pilot will air on SciFi soon so we'll know how it does then.

They already ordered a 20 episode season - that's why we're getting the Pilot in a DVD instead of an special SciFi event like Galactica itself.

The Meta Cognitive Processor with the Cylon, with a military brass watching, killing roller bots is like the X-9 Ghost, with a Bio Neural Chip, killing VF-11 drones in Macross Plus.

Civilian robot Serge

post-9033-1240559679_thumb.jpg

Caprican Military robots

post-9033-1240559704_thumb.jpg

The First Cylon

post-9033-1240560021_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedWolf

Just saw the HD version off of the psn. I'm pretty impressed with the show so far. I think I may have found my new favorite show. Acting is great and the story is really quite compelling. Didn't know there was going to be that much nudity in it so it was surprising coming from bsg.

Worth seeing no doubt.

Can't wait for the season

Edited by Gaijin

Since people are getting & watching the Caprica DVD's and hopefully not giving any Spoilers out, Time for the official thread to be used!!!!!!! B))

Before the chrome toasters walked there were these guys.

Serge, the butler bot

post-9033-1240573938_thumb.jpg

Caprican military bots

post-9033-1240573770_thumb.jpg

Goes to show even before the chomejobs Colonials already had robots in their society.

No juice, sweeper, newpaper or phone bots though like Macross.

finally saw caprica, and I liked it. I will look forward to the tv series, although all the naughty bits will be gone :( bummer

They've been pretty good about shootnig the shows they way they want, editting for TV and then releasing the full episodes on DVD with BSG, I expect the same from Caprica. I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot/movie and I look forward to tuning into the show.

• 7 months later...

Funny that you ask. It showed up on Hulu today so I thought I'd give it a try.

The first few minutes in you're greeted by thumping music, gyrating teen bodies, idle chit-chat and Eric Stolz. Headache...Must find Tylenol...

It doesn't FEEL at all like BSG for a while and it's pretty predictable after the big explosion but still, I'd say it was decent.

Kinda like Macross Plus was in relation to the rest of its franchise.

Well it is given that Adama and Graystone will clash. There is hint in nBSG on what Joseph Adama will become. He wasn't remembered as that "Mob Lawyer" but that "Civil Rights Lawyer".

I don't think we'll see the Cylon War till the end. This is about what the Colonies are before. The Colonials well...hated each other till they got a common enemy. Plus we got that the Centurions were intended for inter-Colonial conflicts.

I liked it... pilots are usually a little rough but so far I'm digging it. It gave a nice sense of *why* the cylons hated the humans so much in BSG

To me more like why the Cylons have a Pinochio syndrome. It does expound the reason why Cylons wanted a human form and the human experiments in Razor.

I dont know what to say

The teens seemed like they were over acting.

Eric Stolz seemed fake

Whats with all the earth tech. There are only so many Earth like planets or Super Earths but it doesnt mean they can sustain life.

So you have the matrix mixing in with the terminator and then you have a sprinkle of macross?????

Either im not liking it or not getting it. I guess that's why I liked the superior story telling in Serenity. I like how in Serenity the future was portrayed and it explained the old west look but added a good mix of new tech

This show is like set 6 years from now

A 90210 in the future.

Blah

Maybe it will pick up

Whats with all the earth tech. There are only so many Earth like planets or Super Earths but it doesnt mean they can sustain life.

So you have the matrix mixing in with the terminator and then you have a sprinkle of macross?????

Either im not liking it or not getting it. I guess that's why I liked the superior story telling in Serenity. I like how in Serenity the future was portrayed and it explained the old west look but added a good mix of new tech

With nBSG and Caprica Ronald Moore tried the hard sci-fi approach not the pop sci-fi the original did. It is a hit or a miss. Especially with the whole God did it.

Till the final episode we didn't know when nBSG was in relation to our own.

Before Battlestar Galactica came to be Glen Larson's idea was basically Noah's Ark. In the original concept Earth was doomed Adams was this Abrahamic Noah father figure to the ship carrying what is left of humanity. The idea was carried over to BSG after the craze that was Star Wars.

In nBSG the metaphorical flood happened already several times. Thus this has happened before and will happen again. With two common things happening. The technological development of artificial life and resurrection technology. Similar combinations of the event every two thousand years. When the 13th tribe left the 12 tribes of Kobol 4000 years ago. Kobol and Earth got blown up roughly the same time 2000 years ago. The 12 Colonies repeating the same damn thing.

With nBSG and Caprica Ronald Moore tried the hard sci-fi approach not the pop sci-fi the original did. It is a hit or a miss. Especially with the whole God did it.

Till the final episode we didn't know when nBSG was in relation to our own.

Before Battlestar Galactica came to be Glen Larson's idea was basically Noah's Ark. In the original concept Earth was doomed Adams was this Abrahamic Noah father figure to the ship carrying what is left of humanity. The idea was carried over to BSG after the craze that was Star Wars.

In nBSG the metaphorical flood happened already several times. Thus this has happened before and will happen again. With two common things happening. The technological development of artificial life and resurrection technology. Similar combinations of the event every two thousand years. When the 13th tribe left the 12 tribes of Kobol 4000 years ago. Kobol and Earth got blown up roughly the same time 2000 years ago. The 12 Colonies repeating the same damn thing.

sh it im even more confused. But thanks

I liked Season 1 and the last few episodes of BSG but all the stuff in the middle made me hit the bathroom every 10 min

In the opening of the show you see caprica and it looks pretty futuristic.

Also I accepted the Hard Tech look of the battlestars and Vipers. But I didnt accept the real world references to modern day earth. In Serenity

There was a lot of tech. Yet on the outworlds because of the hard life tech was hard to get and controlled by the fed alliance. Votoms also incorporated hard tech but you could still tell it was a scifi show set far into the future. No im not expecting SW or Pre enterprise ST but they could have done a little more to incorporate a futuristic look for example Suits and ties all look like they were bought at gap and Hugo boss. I think dress would be very different and I would expect something fresh. The few space battles pew pew was cool. Too much drama at the end of S2 and all S3 and S4 until the drama started to make sense at the end. The whole pseudo-pyscho bable between the skin jobs WAS irritating. Lost is good drama, scifi is hard to pull off drama, it can but its difficult and BSG at most times pulled off the wrong drama.

And I am one of the few that really liked enterprise. It was a great show. A great example of Hard tech approach that looked very real. Instead of beep bop beep boo blinking lights and magic consoles. I expected Holograms to be center stage in the command deck of the BSG battlestar not phones at least a conference center piece SOMETHING WIRELESS comeon PDA. Yeah Yeah Cylons could hack the computers but did all the programers all of a sudden die???

Thats it the cylons make a virus and game over dont use useful display consoles Holomonitors PDAs. Heck the space mariens from Aliens could have taken control of the battlestar. That was hard tech but dam it was pretty futuristic.

Anywho I will give Caprica a chance but its looking pretty dim for me. Suits from harry rosan and telephone polls from bangladesh and over acting pre tween 90120 wannabes, next thing we will have a kid in the background watching spongebob square pants

sh it im even more confused. But thanks

I liked Season 1 and the last few episodes of BSG but all the stuff in the middle made me hit the bathroom every 10 min

In the opening of the show you see caprica and it looks pretty futuristic.

Also I accepted the Hard Tech look of the battlestars and Vipers. But I didnt accept the real world references to modern day earth. In Serenity

There was a lot of tech. Yet on the outworlds because of the hard life tech was hard to get and controlled by the fed alliance. Votoms also incorporated hard tech but you could still tell it was a scifi show set far into the future. No im not expecting SW or Pre enterprise ST but they could have done a little more to incorporate a futuristic look for example Suits and ties all look like they were bought at gap and Hugo boss. I think dress would be very different and I would expect something fresh. The few space battles pew pew was cool. Too much drama at the end of S2 and all S3 and S4 until the drama started to make sense at the end. The whole pseudo-pyscho bable between the skin jobs WAS irritating. Lost is good drama, scifi is hard to pull off drama, it can but its difficult and BSG at most times pulled off the wrong drama.

And I am one of the few that really liked enterprise. It was a great show. A great example of Hard tech approach that looked very real. Instead of beep bop beep boo blinking lights and magic consoles. I expected Holograms to be center stage in the command deck of the BSG battlestar not phones at least a conference center piece SOMETHING WIRELESS comeon PDA. Yeah Yeah Cylons could hack the computers but did all the programers all of a sudden die???

Thats it the cylons make a virus and game over dont use useful display consoles Holomonitors PDAs. Heck the space mariens from Aliens could have taken control of the battlestar. That was hard tech but dam it was pretty futuristic.

Anywho I will give Caprica a chance but its looking pretty dim for me. Suits from harry rosan and telephone polls from bangladesh and over acting pre tween 90120 wannabes, next thing we will have a kid in the background watching spongebob square pants

OK

Edited by Gaijin

I kinda think someone is focusing on all the stuff that really doesn't matter... like clothes... and ignoring all the stuff that actually made the show good... like compelling characters. Actually, no, you're saying the drama sucked. I'll agree, there were some plot holes and deadends but I think you're tucked a little too tightly within your own box to enjoy a large swab of scifi. You have preconceived notions based on Earth-man history as to what a future MUST be like that is going to ruin all depictions of the future that don't jive with what you've imagined. On that note, I'll bet you loved The Fifth Element (and I loved it so no knocking). That seems to be right up your notion of the future's alley (but then again, that's also showing Earth people in the future so it would make sense).

I kinda think someone is focusing on all the stuff that really doesn't matter... like clothes... and ignoring all the stuff that actually made the show good... like compelling characters. Actually, no, you're saying the drama sucked. I'll agree, there were some plot holes and deadends but I think you're tucked a little too tightly within your own box to enjoy a large swab of scifi. You have preconceived notions based on Earth-man history as to what a future MUST be like that is going to ruin all depictions of the future that don't jive with what you've imagined. On that note, I'll bet you loved The Fifth Element (and I loved it so no knocking). That seems to be right up your notion of the future's alley (but then again, that's also showing Earth people in the future so it would make sense).

WHAT??

No i didnt like 5th Element. Disappointed in it. It was pretty funny

Did you not read what I wrote. One of my favorite SCIFI shows was Serenity

From what did you glean that I like my Future sanitized. Did you not read how I enjoy hard Tech. Did you not see how I refered to the grungy Tech in Aliens. ??????????

But the small points lead to greater criticisms and cloths could have been in more in tune with the times as with other things What it comes down to was budget. Im detailed oriented yes I cant even harness enough energy to think about that each show i watched because i was watching the interaction between characters the dialogue. It would have been nice to have a little better set design. After all its a visiual story. If i was interested in dialogue alone i would listen to the radio or read a book

1) When did I say anything about "sanitized"?

2) Clothes "more in tune with the times." This is a timeline outside of our own, there's no such thing as "in tune with the times." If you're speaking from a BSG standpoint, the times were varied depending on the colony. Furthermore, the whole topic is nonsensical because it plain and simple doesn't matter for the context of the show. Never once, that I recall, did a plot point revolve around clothing.

3) Your arguments come off as entirely superficial. "Meh, this show was too pretty, that show was too dirty." You're like a step away from announcing you hate certain books because the covers are lame.

• 3 weeks later...

A clip from episode 2:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-sto...ts-frisky/full/

And Jamie Bamber kinda/sorta criticizes the show (and I kind of agree with him, if by "teeny," he means "too many teens"):

http://www.digitalspy.com/cult/news/a19373...d-domestic.html

(And erm...in the second link, they say BSG was "cancelled." That's not the case, is it? I thought the fourth season was INTENDED by the creators to be the final one...?)

Yeah, the Ron and David issued a statement saying it was their decision to end the show with Season 4, saying something like the show and the characters were headed in that direction because of all the stuff that happened and the choices they made and sci-fi channel supported their decision.

Yeah, the Ron and David issued a statement saying it was their decision to end the show with Season 4, saying something like the show and the characters were headed in that direction because of all the stuff that happened and the choices they made and sci-fi channel supported their decision.

That's what I thought...at least it seemed to be heading pretty organically towards its end. Seasons three and four may have had flaws, but (to me, at least) feeling rushed wasn't one of 'em.

Still unsure about Caprica, after watching the pilot and the clip of episode 2. Still, it's clearly a serialized story, which always means it takes a while to set up, so I'll probably stick with it through the first season and see where it goes.

Well, Caprica is BSG...without the Battlestars, and a host of other things. :unsure:

Yet, what it lacks in Battlestars, space battles, sexy Cylons, genocide, and Starbuck, it gains in high school drama, virtual raves, and the Italian Tauran mafia. :mellow:

Like I said, I'll see where it goes before committing to it one way or another. Ron Moore and David Eick have built up a cache of goodwill with me, though, so I'll willing to trust them for at least a season.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched CAPRICA, I was going to get the DVD earlier, but though it would be nice to have something to look forward to on Friday nights again. So far I am intrigued by the story, its beautifully shot, music is great and why not, its still Bear McCreary. Overall I liked it and hope the further episodes are good & well written. So say we all. B))