New Super Stealth Pic's

DyNo

And for you, kyatsu, here's how I did this. Keep in mind this is a resin recast head that started out in five pieces: two head laser assemblies, two halves of the head, and the neck.

1. I cut the two head lasers from their sprue and trimmed, filed, and sanded away any extra material on them. I did the same for the neck and the two head pieces. Then I dry fit the pieces and again sanded any excess material left over and any high spots along the seams.

2. Next, I thoroughly scrubbed the parts with dishwashing liquid soap and a toothbrush to remove any resin dust and mold release agent and let them air dry.

3. I sprayed two light coats of primer on the neck and head lasers. When that was dry, I put the neck into one half of the head. I put a thin line of CA glue (super/crazy glue) along the seam and fit the other half of the head into place. This stuff sets up pretty fast, so I only had to hold the two pieces together for about 15 seconds.

4. After the glue had dried for about 5 minutes, I again sanded around the seam to remove any excess glue that had been pushed out. I then used a toothbrush to remove any resin dust and laid down a thin layer of putty across the entire length of the seam. After this dried for about 30 minutes, I filed and sanded away the excess, leaving only a thin strip that filled the seam. I used the toothbrush again to remove the leftover dust.

5. Next, I sprayed two light coats of primer on the head/neck assembly and let it dry. Then I gently wet-sanded the primer to remove any high spots and/or imperfections. After this, I again gave it a quick scrubbing with the toothbrush and dish soap, let it air dry, and sprayed another light coat of primer.

6. While the head/neck assembly was drying, I sprayed two light coats of gun-metal grey on the head lasers, focusing primarily on the barrels rather than their round bases. When this was dry, I taped off the barrels.

7. Then I sprayed several light coats of flat black on the bases of the lasers and the head/neck assembly. I can't remember how many coats of black I laid down, but it was at least four. After the head lasers were dry, I removed the tape from the barrels.

8. When the head/neck assembly was completely dry, I carefully taped off the two arrows on the sides of the head and sprayed two more light coats of black to seal the tape lines. This helps avoid any bleeding of the next color to be used. After this had dried, I sprayed three light coats of a medium grey on the arrows and let it dry.

9. Next, I peeled away the tape and added the red dot on the left front of the head with an extremely fine point paintbrush. Basically, I just placed a very small drop of red paint on the spot and carefully pulled it around until the circle was filled up to the shallow panel line around it.

10. After the paint had set up for several hours, I carefully rinsed the pieces with water to remove any dust that may have settled on them. I let them air dry and then sprayed several light coats of a matte finish clear coat on everything. I let this dry for several more hours.

11. I added a thin coat of clear nail polish to the posts on the back side of the head lasers and let it dry. While I was waiting, I glued the eyepiece into place. When the nail polish was dry, I simply pushed each head laser into place.

12. I did have to remove some of the material on the underside of the neck to get it to fit onto its post, but that was an easy 2 minute job with a sharp X-acto knife.

That's it. Pretty simple for the most part - just a lot of waiting for the various coats of paint to dry. Just so you know, while the paint was drying I made the eyepiece by hand with a translucent piece of plastic and a file. This took some time, but I think it looks better than having a tinted eyepiece on the black head. I hope this information is helpful. Just remember, if you mess it up you can always strip the paint and start over - that's part of why it took me so long to finish. Good luck and remember to have patience. If you rush, you're more likely to have problems.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. That flexistand has one of each length of rod. I find that mixing and matching the rods gives you a lot more options when it comes to your poses. The downside is that the screws that apply tension to the rods need to be extremely tight to hold up the weight of a valk with the FAST Packs or GBP attached, so you've got to be really careful not to strip the threads or crack the thin, notched piece that the screws go through. I've already cracked that piece on another stand, so be warned.

I mixed about the Stealth. Some angles I really like... others I wish they would have just done another Low-Viz as a limited 1J.

I second the motion to use another squadron than Skull Squadron if they're going to do stuff that's not actually on screen.

My Stealth is coming from HLJ and the Low-Vis Armor from TMP. When I get the two it will be stealth GBP.

So you're going to repaint the LV2 GBP to a black and gray pattern? That could be really sweet!

399450[/snapback]

It will sit in the standard colors of bit. May repaint in the future but not for the next couple on months.

Still don't have my Super Stealth yet, but got to handle one for a short time the other day and it definitely looks better in person than in online photos.

The Superstealth box is ridiculously huge.

Graham

399589[/snapback]

yes,the actual stuff is much better than the product shot form yamato,

color not that contrast, and the texture on the body surface look so good~less plastic feel:)

Mine had abit of minor problems. Cockpit canopy has scratches but barely noticeable.

And since the visor now is clear, you can see very clearly the ugly "eyeball" peg and mine had "cracks" behind that otherwise wouldn't be visible if the visor was colored.

I second that the box for the Super 1J St. is really huge. It contains actually the 2 standard 1/48 box ( 1/48 normal type + 1/48 Super/Strike accessory both in a shiny shiny white color)

IMO a package like the Hikaru Super 1J packaging (Super part already fixed on valk) would have done the trick. Too bad Yamato didn't do it <_<

And now for the QC (Super):

- the left wing flap is very loose too.

- at least 3 visible factory dent on the wings (2 on the left one 1 one the right)

- lense seems broken but not sure

- Spare hands smells really funny (Yes i took a sniff at my 1/48)

QC on the normal one is planned tomorrow (need to make somme space on shelf)

The really good point is the Super part on the cannon fodder A-W-E-S-O-M-E !

hardened my resolve and finally bought the super stealth despite over blowing over SGD1,100 on 5 fx lightsabers a fortnight ago. i must say that this is an awesome piece. but the box is a little too big for comfort. had a hard time explaining to my wife on my latest acquisition. fortunately she said it looked quite nice...phew!

Edited by feudallordcult

I have the floppy left wing flap issue too, but the right wing flap is bloody tight.

Regarding the dents on the wing, my theory is due to the black colour which makes reflection stands out alot more than a matt white, thus any slight imperfection is multiplied by 10 folds.

However, overall, I like it (QC & Colour scheme).

And now for the QC (Super):

- the left wing flap is very loose too.

- at least 3 visible factory dent on the wings

399616[/snapback]

Just got it a coupla of days ago as well, and I must say that it looks way way better than the pictures do.

In fact, I would venture as far to say that I consider this set to be the best looking color scheme so far for the 1/48 valks, as far as the FP/strike combo is concerned

snip... a fortnight ago...

400014[/snapback]

A fortnight huh? Bet you've been itching to use that word in a sentence for some time now... at least a fortnight. :p j/k

I'm still not convinced about the stealth. The glowing testimonials are beginning to wear me down, but I---must---resist---impulse---to---spend---more---money---after---VF-0S. Trying to stay within a budget, and beginning to run out of space to store/display all this great stuff sucks!

Had to get one to help my LV v1 feel less lonely. Plus after seeing boeing roll out a few super hornets fresh every few weeks the paint scheme seems kinda right on to me as far as most real world aircraft go. I need to finish my car so I won't be sad and spend money on things. B))

Yeah, my L.V got real jealous of the Stealth’s fast pack and decided to take matter to its own hand :D . I have more pics here.

Had to get one to help my LV v1 feel less lonely.

post-3608-1147961169_thumb.jpg

Yeah, my L.V got real jealous of the Stealth’s fast pack and decided to take matter to its own hand  :D  .  I have more pics here.
Had to get one to help my LV v1 feel less lonely.

400334[/snapback]

Thanks for the pics. Plan to do the same when my stealth shows up. I am worried that the dark gray fast packs will look so good that I will want them on all my valks.

I don't remember if anyone had this idea before but would you guys have preferred the accessories for the stealth and the low vis 2 be switched, so have a stealth GBP and camo FPs instead.

Someone else probably said this on the boards. But considering that the FP's are for space use and that the Stealth is pretty much black, it makes sense to have the Stealth have the FPs rather than the LV2. The Stealth gets accessories that enhance its speed, evasion, and espionage abilities.

If the LV2 had the FPs, it wouldn't exactly make sense to be flying up in space with a Valk in camo patterns (unless the pilot just liked being a wild and crazy kinda guy).

As for the GBP armor, as much as I love that "little" accessory, it just doesn't strike me as very "stealth-ish." But the armor's "F@ck you! I've got 40 missiles trained on your mofo azz. So please, PISS ME OFF!" attitude meshes pretty well the camo/military look of the LV2.

.........And vlenhoff, yeah, I also got my Stealth last Saturday (preordered it from the Samurai-Monkey).

my 1/48 series never been back to my house...it still display at my friend game shop... :):):) at home no proper place to display it... :(:(:( and the stealth super 1j...still don't know my girlfriend will chop me in how many pieces... :blink::blink::blink: smalle box please Yamato!!!! then i can bring in the toy without my girlfriend notice...!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Well after missing all the preorders for the stealth, on vacation here in Hawaii I found one today :D . There shipment had just come in..

Looks much better then is does in the pictures......... But damn Yamato!!!! Lets make the box a little smaller next time....... Now I have to carry this big ass box on the airplane with me :p

post-2356-1148035345_thumb.jpg

Well after missing all the preorders for the stealth, on vacation here in Hawaii I found one today :D . There shipment had just come in..

Looks much better then is does in the pictures......... But damn Yamato!!!! Lets make the box a little smaller next time....... Now I have to carry this big ass box on the airplane with me  :p

400556[/snapback]

As far as I know they will not let you put that on the plane. You have to consider the luggage of other people. Take it out of the box and just take the toy with you. Play with it on the plane :D

Looks much better then is does in the pictures......... But damn Yamato!!!! Lets make the box a little smaller next time....... Now I have to carry this big ass box on the airplane with me  :p

400556[/snapback]

As far as I know they will not let you put that on the plane. You have to consider the luggage of other people. Take it out of the box and just take the toy with you. Play with it on the plane :D

400670[/snapback]

When I flew back from Hawaii (United Airlines) I took a König Monster and a 1/48 Roy VF-1S, both boxed into the plane.

They let me carry the boxes. They both fit one on top of the other in the luggage compartment. I believe the Super Stealth box is smaller than the VF-1S and Monster combined, so you shouldn't worry. My girlfriend even carried an orchid we bought in Thailand and they didn't pay attention at the airport :unsure:

Sometimes I keep wondering about the security measures :lol:

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

Picked up a Super Stealth yesterday. I threw away the box before I even got it home, just so they wife couldn't complain about large and expensive toys! :lol:

Gotta say I have a few minor issues with mine so far: -

1) Both flaps come off very easily. I haven't had a 1/48 VF1 where the flaps can get knocked off this easily since the gen 1 Hikaru VF-1A.

2) The hole in the gunpod handle is very tight, making it even more difficult to attach in fighter mode than the VF-0S's gunpod.

3) When in the open position, the airbrake alls falls off very easily.

4) The nosecone is a very tight fit. In fact, I can't get it to sit all the way back, so there is a noticible gap between the nosecone and the forward fuselage.

Haven't checked the FAST Packs yet.

Graham