Rogue Zentreadi... And The Remaining Boldolzas?

Raptor

It's still a plot element added by Robotech that wasn't present at any point in Macross, nor even hinted at in the official backstory.

395582[/snapback]

And its not even in Robotech itself, but in the novels. The Tv series is pretty clear, thanks to flashbacks, that the SDF-1 is just a ship of the line.

395624[/snapback]

There were statements in Robotech to the effect that it wasn't entirely standard-fare as well.

RT has a few continuity goofs in it beyond the infamous invisible SDF-2.

Zor made the ship in the novels I think. And it was like his masterpiece or something. Kinda like a 'alus' but for robotech.

395632[/snapback]

Yeah. And hid the last protoculture matrix aboard it. Or something.

Then rammed it into the Earth to restore the flower of life to... It's homeworld? Or just another world it could live on? I sold my novels many moons ago.

The cartoon had it as a special ship(Hey, we can fold within an atmosphere!), and I THINK they had something about us having a protoculture generator. Again, it's been a while. Last time I saw it was during Cartoon Network's first run. And having content chopped out and then a whole third of the series dropped doesn't exactly help(I was only watching FOR the MOSPEADA portion, too...)

Really?  How is that so?

395547[/snapback]

Because, for one, the Japanese population is going into a decline, and two, the foreigner population in Japan is growing.

Which means... more non-Japanese citizens, mixed children.

Which means Japan is less and less homogenous.

Although for all practical purposes, Japan is still homogenous enough that the word refers both to the nation and the race interchangeably as if the two were unseperable (which they won't be for long).

Unless you consider the fact that all modern Japanese have the same ancestry as people from all over East Asia. So while they think they're a pure race they're really just mutts like the rest of us :D (although to a lesser extent).

Edited by Raptor

Oh yeah there was a protoculture thingy inside the ship but nobody knew it at the time. Only by the time of southern cross did they think to look for whatever it was that made the SDF1 so special.

Robotechnology is so mysterious! So many aliens need our PC to live.

Can anyone tell me what PC actually is in robotech? Is it like anima spiritua but for machines known as robotechnology? What a huge mess. When I was a little kid I assumed robots used this magic energy source (transmitted wirelessly) from the flowers. Aliens had antennae sensitive to this energy and whenever you had it, they could kind of "smell it" like a cockroach to food and would come to take it for themselves. Has it changed since then?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Can anyone tell me what PC actuall is in robotech? Is it like anima spiritua but for machines known as robotechnology?

395685[/snapback]

Magic batteries. :p

Seriously... something about putting flower of life seed pods in a stasis field and the seeds get pissed because they can't germinate and dump lots of energy while trying to break loose.

And magic waves that let mecha transform, along with a lot of other wierd voodoo effects.

That's what the novels said, anyways. I'm pretty sure the seeds in stasis part was from the cartoon, and the magic waves are novel-exclusive.

As I say my memories = jumbled mess. HG need a robotech compendium if they don't want thier fans to go crazy.

I do know though that the stealth fighters in NG were specifically created by humans to kind of 'block the waves' so the invid could not detect the use of protoculture and thus locate the position of a human. Normal alpha fighter = no stealth because of the way the invid can sense PC. That I definately remember as part of the series. And I remember the robotech masters were freaking out because they were low on PC reserves or something so they came to take from us.

The strange thing is that I sometimes get confused because in macross zero don't they mention they have a special PC type radar to help them detect PC ruins? Haha. Now I am totally mixing things up by getting confused between PC in macross and PC in robo.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

IIRC in the Robotech cartoon Protoculture is a power source nothing more nothing less. It's somehow plant based but beyond that not much is explained about it (the whole stasis field preventing germination was a rationalization from the RRG). In the novels its some mystical magical energy like the force only plant based and it makes mecha change shape, powers thinking caps and all sorts of other nonsense.

In the cartoon the pre-crash SDF-1 is just some battleship fitted out to whisk around some VIP scientist and his nifty gadgets (including the "protoculture matrix" whatever that is) on whatever little trips he might go on. In the novels it's some custom wanktastic ubership that was designed by Zor himself while huffing protoculture fumes. Or something. Really I never much liked some of the unnecessary bullsh*t they invented for the novels.

Seriously... something about putting flower of life seed pods in a stasis field and the seeds get pissed because they can't germinate and dump lots of energy while trying to break loose.

Heh. Don't forget about the "pollinator" dogs, that helped develop the Flower of...oh, nevermind...

IIRC in the Robotech cartoon Protoculture is a power source nothing more nothing less.  It's somehow plant based but beyond that not much is explained about it (the whole stasis field preventing germination was a rationalization from the RRG).

Actually, I believe it was first introduced and detailed in the graphic novel. I followed RT pretty avidly then, and it was supposed to be the first time they attempted to explain some of that stuff.

Really?  How is that so?

395547[/snapback]

Because, for one, the Japanese population is going into a decline, and two, the foreigner population in Japan is growing.

Which means... more non-Japanese citizens, mixed children.

Which means Japan is less and less homogenous.

395684[/snapback]

I figured that was what you were talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if this was true, but it'd be nice if you could give me some numbers (birth rate/immigration statistics).

I COULD find them... they wouldn't be all that impressive but they would show a clear pattern.

Researchers expect the population of Japan cut in half by 2050 or something (since there's an extremely low birth rate and a large elderly population).

I COULD find them...  they wouldn't be all that impressive but they would show a clear pattern.

Researchers expect the population of Japan cut in half by 2050 or something (since there's an extremely low birth rate and a large elderly population).

395910[/snapback]

LOL, well then I guess we should welcome Japan into the 21st Century of industrialized nations... :p

I'm pretty sure the seeds in stasis part was from the cartoon

395687[/snapback]

Nope, thats Carl Macek's explanation from The Sentinels. The Tv series only states protoculture is used in some fashion (which is unexplained) in generating energy. It appears to be related (or involves) nuclear fusion.

Everything else about it being mystical and such is crap from the novels.

The Flower of Life, however, has at least 2 religions built around it (and is NOT the same thing as Protoculture): that of the Masters and Invid.