I think that another problem is that the whole problem of the "ship as hero" in SF has essentially gone out the window as well in the last 20 years. Everything is more character driven now and that has a major impact on stories like the original Yamato. (Even though the original Yamato did have a good amount of characterisation for the time)

Taksraven

I think that another problem is that the whole problem of the "ship as hero" in SF has essentially gone out the window as well in the last 20 years.

Certainly true that character driven shows are dominant now. But not all is lost, even BSG (totally character driven) was nearly treating the Galactica like a character - especially at the end.

There is also the B5 example, with the White Star one and the Agememnon.

As for someone else's idea of bringing back the Musashi, a new version of the Andromeda would be tops on my list... (Or did they already do that?)

Finally - re-used plots, that has been the main problem with Yamato since the second movie, it is always the same plot.

• 1 month later...

It looks like Starblazers.com isn't gonna have another live action movie update until the release.

On a related note Bandai's Soul of Chogokin Andromeda is coming February 2011! B))

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english&vgForm=ProductInfo&sku=TOY-RBT-1323&template=default/product/e_display.html

TOY-RBT-1323.jpg

It looks like Starblazers.com isn't gonna have another live action movie update until the release.

On a related note Bandai's Soul of Chogokin Andromeda is coming February 2011! B))

About freaking time! I'll have to step out of toy-collecting retirement for this one...

So, the glamorous premiere of this movie was the other day, and there was a lot of TV coverage, but mostly in terms of interviews with Kimura Takuya, who is the only thing anyone cares about in this movie. Meanwhile Leiji Matsumoto has an exhibition of his work on right now which they also plugged as a "oh by the way" kind of thing.

I still haven't seen anything but the first short teaser, although that Steve Tyler song is on the radio quite a bit now. I think it's a good song, but it's really obvious that they're going for a recreation of the "Armageddon effect" for this one. I just hope I don't get sick of hearing this song all the time, too.

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english&vgForm=ProductInfo&sku=TOY-RBT-1323&template=default/product/e_display.html

TOY-RBT-1323.jpg

Any details on this toy? How big / long is it? Any working gimmicks? Lights? Wonder if Bandai will release a 1/350 scale model of this like the Yamato, they have all the electronics worked out.

Any further word on how the movie is doing in Japan? I'd like it to succeed, "Star Blazers" was my first love... (Sorry Macross - you were second)

It's not starting until December first...so it's not really doing anything in Japan right now.

Edited by Gubaba

Renato got me confused, said it premiered yesterday...

Was that a one day preview or something?

That was the gala premiere, with the staff and cast, the press, celebrity types, etc. Doesn't go on general release until next month.

Unfortunately, it's not as easy for me to go join the crowds at these events as it used to be in the olden days of Leicester Square in London. I think the last one I went to there was for the "Australia" movie with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. Then again, I can totally live without seeing Kimura Takuya up close.

Any details on this toy? How big / long is it? Any working gimmicks? Lights? Wonder if Bandai will release a 1/350 scale model of this like the Yamato, they have all the electronics worked out.

Hey WM, have you built the Bandai 1/350?

A lot of the features are similar to what'll be found in GX-57 Yamato.

Such as 1/625 scale, full color LED for the (dual) wave motion gun, there's a removable remote control stored on the adjustable base which plays four Yamato musical scores and five sound effects. You also get several Cosmo Tiger II's (the Yamato will have a different set). Hopefully a decent amount of die cast content.

I don't think it'll have that many ginmicks similar to the BPX-01 (internal removable panels for fore and aft, light up bridge, FX buttons, etc). It'll definitely be a cleaner sculpt which IHMO is better.

post-31-128915549587_thumb.jpg

Here's a few more pics from scanned from the fine folks at Robot Japan and Toy World.

Thanks for the scans

That is superb. Its nice to get the weathering look without forking out extra $$ as Aoshima did. Also Seems the Canons go as bright as the Big Scale Yamato Model. My SOP doesnt go that bright. Not sure if its just mine.

Will look nice with my collection

004-1.jpg

Now if only Aoshima will reissue the movie version of Capt. Harlocks ship

Edited by Snail00

Hey WM, have you built the Bandai 1/350?

Nope, not yet... I have it, and look at it every so often... dreaming of the day I get to dig into it. It really is the pinnacle of injection molding technology and engineering. It's really up there on my list of to builds...

That Andromeda toy looks pretty awesome too, whats the cheapest place I can pre-order one? It looks like toys are the way to go when you have a little daughter (at least for a while anyways).

That Andromeda toy looks pretty awesome too, whats the cheapest place I can pre-order one? It looks like toys are the way to go when you have a little daughter (at least for a while anyways).

AmiAmi 99.9% usually has the lowest prices in town.

Slow builds are the answer! Although I do have a FMMF that I have been 'building' for the past two years....

Hah! so true!! You're already one step ahead of me on the FMMF, I've just been collecting just about every aftermarket PE/resin upgrade I can get my hands on for it.