"A live-action adaptation was set up at Walt Disney Studios in the 1990s.""

Uh what does this mean?

There was a live-action project that never got off the ground?

Yamato was out before i was born, but i hope to see it one day.

"A live-action adaptation was set up at Walt Disney Studios in the 1990s.""

Uh what does this mean?

There was a live-action project that never got off the ground?

393845[/snapback]

Probably.

I have no clue how this will turn out....

Disney pitched an attempt at making a Yamato Live Version by renaming the ship the Arizona. Everything else, except the character names, will remain more or less intact.

The project tanked faster than a McDonalds drive-through on a busy day.

393849[/snapback]

I'm sure as hell glad Disney didn't do it.How would the copyright struggle between Nizaki and Matsumoto affect this project I wonder?I guess people are trying to fill the void left by Star Trek and Star Wars now.I thibk it would rock if they adapted the Lensman books in 1930's future vision style in live-action though.The producer who's doing this what else did he do?

I would love to see a Lensman movie. The only two media made from E.E. Doc Smith's SF books were the Lensman anime movie and TV series. Smith disowned both and since then no one has attempted a remake.

Did I mention there was a Hollywood attempt at making a Sailormoon Live Action movie? A little OT, just an interesting note.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! *claws at own eyes to prevent seeing the travesty*

Part of me wants to be an optimist. But that part is quickly overrulled by the realist in me, that suspects all we'll get will be lame flash-powder-explosion SFX; action and story pacing coming at blistering and totally un-Matsumoto like speeds; ship designs totally unlike the originals; character and plot changes tantamount to intellectual property rape [they'll probably make Derek Wildstar a woman to cash in on the butch-fem-girl-power BS that Hollywood is so into now; hell, they probably won't even make the ship look remotely like the Yamato....no, as mentioned previously, this whole thing stinks of another fiasco of Wing Commander-esque proportions.

I loves me some Yamato, and I even think that a decent live-action rendition of the story (even in its milder "Star Blazers" incarnation) is possible, but in spite of that I have my doubts about this ever even being made. I'm sure it'll happen right after the live-action Akira, Dragon Ball Z and Evangelion movies.

Considering neither Matsumoto nor Nishizaki have been able to get their Yamato projects off the ground, I very much doubt anything will come of this, especially after the last failed attempt.

LOL. I think we've all seen that live action script floating around the subspace that is called E-Bay for YEARS.

I don't like this....I'd rather take NO movie then to see what Hollywood will do to Matsumoto's beloved franchise.

Oh no, that's not good. Everybody knows that live action movie adaptations of cartoons suck and it's acomplete waste of money. I'd rather go but-naked bunjee jumping off of the MTV building with a candle sticking out my but than see this monstrocity to the anime franchise.

• 3 years later...

Talk about reviving dead threads...I did a search for that other thread about the live-action Yamato coming out and this is all that came up.....well, now that the teaser trailer is out, any thoughts? Here are my two cents...*UCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!

The ship looks pretty much like in that Pachinko commercial except way more gritty. Wish there was more footage available.

I love the way they kept a majority of the original designs.....See, it can be done. Transformers live action needs a remake......

Edited by peter

Is this that show where that one hot chick needs to get naked in order for the ship to fly?

If so - I'm game.

But I checked youtube and couldn't find any teaser trailers...are you sure it's the live action and not the actual Yamato movie that is being made?

Pete

Is this that show where that one hot chick needs to get naked in order for the ship to fly?

If so - I'm game.

But I checked youtube and couldn't find any teaser trailers...are you sure it's the live action and not the actual Yamato movie that is being made?

Pete

I think that was "OutLaw Star".

Space Battleship Yamato teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONkh786EbSg

apparently it stars boyband (manband? theyre too OLD to be kept called as a boyband! ) SMAP member Takuya Kimura

in the tradition of Macrossworld, let me be the first to nitpick: his hairstyle needs to look more like THIS!

voyagerdvds_04.jpg

:p

Edited by polidread

Still have a long way to go... hope they improve the CG.

With a budget of around $22 million US, I think thats about as good as the CG is going to get. Which is fine with me.

When I watched the teaser I didn't really see anything that worried me or made me think, "OH, no, this is going to be shite". It all generally looked good, (including the hair) but it was only a teaser trailer. Time will tell, as it always does.....

Taksraven

Space Battleship Yamato teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONkh786EbSg

apparently it stars boyband (manband? theyre too OLD to be kept called as a boyband! ) SMAP member Takuya Kimura

in the tradition of Macrossworld, let me be the first to nitpick: his hairstyle needs to look more like THIS!

voyagerdvds_04.jpg

:p

Hey Man, they got the hair pretty damn close....look at the mop on Takuya Kimura. The captaiin's perfect...got the scruffy voice, the look....this movie should be good.

I have to agree with taksraven, there's not much there that made me think, "what the hell, that's not right" Besides, it's not going to be released until December 2010 so they've got a while to sort their $hit out. Just hope that the CG isn't as bad as Yamato live action (WWII IJN Yamato) - I really liked the movie and I appreciate the effort put into the movie, not to mention the 1/1 scale mock up of the ship, but the CG effects weren't very good.

Someone mentioned live action Sailor Moon?

364937_main.jpg

Edited by peter

Hey Man, they got the hair pretty damn close....look at the mop on Takuya Kimura. The captaiin's perfect...got the scruffy voice, the look....this movie should be good.

I always think Sean Connery should be the 'old' captain... if only they can afford his paid. :lol:

Takuya is ok - it take time to take him seriously, I would perfer Kaneshiro Takeshi...

I always think Sean Connery should be the 'old' captain... if only they can afford his paid. :lol:

Takuya is ok - it take time to take him seriously, I would perfer Kaneshiro Takeshi...

Yeah, Connery's look from Hunt for Red October would be pretty close.........except he needs to be 3 feet shorter, 50 lbs heavier, and fluent in Japanese.

I really need to watch this series some time, but I'm a little hessitant to watch it as "Star Blazers"

Star Blazers isn't that bad of an adaptation. All the characters' names get changed (and the Yamato is rechristened "the Argo"), and some of the violence is toned down, but for the most part its pretty faithful.

Although if you go to Scarywater or Bakabt, you can find the excellent fansubbed versions of the first two series. Some unknown person did the third series as well. The movies are already commercially available subtitled.

I'm gonna watch it in the original off course! :)

I keep getting outlaw star confused with star blazers...

what was the original Japanese name of Outlaw star...or was that it?

Pete

If you watch Star Blazers, I will punch you through the internet.

SPACE BATTLECRUISER YAMATO:

-Yamato 1

-Yamato 2

-The New Voyage (Movie)

-Be Forever Yamato (Movie)

-Yamato 3

-Final Yamato (Movie)

Don't bother with the first Yamato movie, since it's just a clipped down version of the first season with a weaker ending, and don't bother with Arrividerci Yamato, since it was Nishizaki's wankfest, and Matsumoto fixed it up with Yamato 2 (season 2).

If you watch Star Blazers, I will punch you through the internet.

SPACE BATTLECRUISER YAMATO:

-Yamato 1

-Yamato 2

-The New Voyage (Movie)

-Be Forever Yamato (Movie)

-Yamato 3

-Final Yamato (Movie)

Don't bother with the first Yamato movie, since it's just a clipped down version of the first season with a weaker ending, and don't bother with Arrividerci Yamato, since it was Nishizaki's wankfest, and Matsumoto fixed it up with Yamato 2 (season 2).

Star Blazers is fine, especially if you remember that rather than yelling "We're going to crash into them!", he was actually yelling "Long Live Leader Desslock!!" (Desslar, whatever)

And the guy who does Desslock in Starblazers is so deadpan he makes me laugh every time, some FANTASTIC voice acting. (Love Avatars voice too.)

Definitely don't bother with the first Yamato movie, but watch Arreverderci AFTER you have watched Yamato 2. Its still a lot of fun and some really gruesome stuff was cut out for TV. After Yamato 2 it gets very weird and I thought anticlimactic.

Taksraven