I don't think the original Iscandar story was melodramatic. Furthermore, and with all due respect, Japanese actors aren't exactly the most charismatic to watch on screen in live-action. I'm not saying that Robert Redford as Okita, Johnny Depp as Kodai and Scarlett Johannsen as Yuki is the answer, but a live action movie needs far better actors than what we were given...

Edited by myk

I don't think the original Iscandar story was melodramatic. Furthermore, and with all due respect, Japanese actors aren't exactly the most charismatic to watch on screen in live-action. I'm not saying that Robert Redford as Okita, Johnny Depp as Kodai and Scarlett Johannsen as Yuki is the answer, but a live action movie needs far better actors than what we were given...

This may be down to a difference in culture. One could say that Western actors "overact".

Subtlety is the key to understanding Japanese in real life. The same holds true for movies. Things like weeping men and a bubble coming out of the nose when sleeping are a different kind of communicative short hand (the latter being more prevalent in anime) than Anglophones are generally presented with, and that's probably contributing to the lack of apparent on-screen charisma.

Edited by sketchley

This may be down to a difference in culture. One could say that Western actors "overact".

Subtlety is the key to understanding Japanese in real life. The same holds true for movies. Things like weeping men and a bubble coming out of the nose when sleeping are a different kind of communicative short hand (the latter being more prevalent in anime) than Anglophones are generally presented with, and that's probably contributing to the lack of apparent on-screen charisma.

I wouldn't even say western actors "overact". There are some scenes in Yamato live action where I thought the actors where downright horrible and there were definitely moments of extreme overacting.

Remember that scene where Yamato first launches, the planet bomb is destroyed and Yamato emerges from the clouds? That guy in the control room back on earth stands up and nearly bursts into tears? That scene made me feel cold.

If half of what I've seen in Japanese pop culture was twice as subtle it'd still be too angsty, melodramatic, and overthetop moe for me to take more than a half hour per week.

From what I understand, Japanese contemporary culture is about understatement and subtlety, what I've seen of their entertainment is anything but.

Are you watching straight-up dramas (e.g. Summer Nude) or something else, like variety shows (e.g. Warai Ii To Omou)? If it's the later, than yes, they are deliberately being outrageous and over the top.

I thought at one time Disney was going to produce a live-action film, only they were going to use the USS Arizona instead of the Yamato.

Correct. I just hope they don't run with the idea of making it the Arizona....

Without a doubt. While I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, as there is a lot going for it and there is some good, appropriate, acting in it (specially the guy who played Okita), it's hard to ignore the overwhelming abundance of over-the-top, vaudeville-esque level, cringe worthy, ham acting throughout. I'm sure a lot of it is due to lack of my familiarity with Japanese method acting (they seem to put a lot of emphasis on exaggerated facial expressions and body motions); regardless, it does come across as very jarring to many western audiences.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It says language: English - had it been dubbed? English subs?

Again, Canadians gets screwed yet again...

http://www.amazon.ca/Space-Battleship-Yamato-Movie-Blu-ray/dp/B00HXEWECI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392397688&sr=8-1&keywords=Space+Battleship+Yamato%3A+Movie

(if I get it from Amazon.com - I'll be charged customs, duties, HST AND $9.95 processing fee!)

It says language: English - had it been dubbed? English subs?

Again, Canadians gets screwed yet again...

http://www.amazon.ca/Space-Battleship-Yamato-Movie-Blu-ray/dp/B00HXEWECI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392397688&sr=8-1&keywords=Space+Battleship+Yamato%3A+Movie

(if I get it from Amazon.com - I'll be charged customs, duties, HST AND $9.95 processing fee!)

Subs. Kodais actor has a clause against being dubbed into foreign language.

I've never been charged by amazon.com for all that stuff. It's taken cared of by checkout.

I've never been charged by amazon.com for all that stuff. It's taken cared of by checkout.

Lucky you... cause I have. What I thought were some bluray deals certainly didn't end up to be that!

• 1 year later...

Double checked, it DOES have an English dub and it is not bad. You can also watch in Japanese with English subtitles.

Not many extras, a VFX documentary and some trailers and advertising spots. The copy I bought was fairly cheap (Amazon) so well worth it even without extras.

I saw this in a store in Vancouver when i was on vacation. It was $30, a bit more than i'm willing to usually pay. But i said what the hey and bought it just for the convenience of buying it in a store and supporting these kinds of releases. It's exactly like Dynaman says, both dub and sub. Dub was decent. Special feature are forgettable but at least there's something.

I think i'm one of the few people you enjoyed this for what it was even though it wasn't perfect. 2199 is way better.

Edited by Sandman