New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

I am surprised they haven't made a Star trek joke on House because the one that plays Cameron (Jennifer Morison) play kirks mother when they have his birth scene.

Oh is THAT who it was! I knew she looked familiar, but forgot to look for her name in the credits!

There was another chick on the bridge who looked familiar too.

Holy crap, that was awesome :)

i dug it from start to finish. Ill go see it again i think. cheesy in the right ways, action packed and fun. THATS a Sci Fi film to me!

I know only a tiny bit about original trek, aso I have no idea if its canonical or not. I also dont care.

Kick ASS!

Just been to see it myself, my opinion is the same as yours :)

Fringe had some fun with it, this week.

That was Clint Howard the one that played the Capitan of the ship from the first federation in the original series.

The delusional conspiracy theorist who knows half the truth.

+1 on not rehashing classic musical scores unlike TNG did with a few of it's own movies

+1 for a sexy Uhura in panties

+1 for sexy green alien babe nailin kirk (I swear, I didn't see it coming and I should of!)

+4 for seeing Sulu doin some awesome ninja ass kicking

+100 for Angsty "I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS!" Attitude Spoke

+XXXXX for the classic line "I have, and shall always be, your friend" I KNEW that had to come up at some point!

Visually the movie is awesome, I loved how it opened, and I love how they really play with the camera, a lot of close up shots of the outter body, and how mechanical and cramped engine room is and such.

I loved the bridge a lot, it had a mix of advanced and old school all over it.

Story wise, I wasn't really too into it in some areas cause now...everything we know is changed.

Still, I'd see it again!

Could it be? Has something new actually NOT raped Macrossworld's collective childhood?

I dunno guys, I think this may be a sign of impending Armageddon.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

I just saw it and it was great. I saw it on IMAX and it looked fantastic along with being well worth the extra few bucks. If Paramount is anything like Fox in regard to Wolverine, I am sure there will be an announcement of a sequel.

Went last night to a Imax showing it was fantastic I'm Going again tonight.

Almost all the caricters were spot on Checkov was a little off but McCoy was spot on.

I went and saw it at 3:40. Yeah it was fantastic and loud, especially in IMAX, but I didn't feel the characters were spot on, rather the characters were forced or maybe a parody, almost like I was watching an "In Living Colour" skit starring Jim Carrey and those other people from back in the 90's. Maybe it was just bad acting, I dunno. Ah well, you can't have a reboot without losing that old comfortable feeling.

I think I can deal with Spock being emotional, exhibiting PDA with a woman and all of that, but what irked me was that the whole movie just felt....rushed. One moment there's an ambush in space, and the next thing you know there's a series of character introductions and then they're all in space doing their 'thang with Kirk at the helm-Spock's burning dislike of the man be damned. And for crying out loud can someone please come up with a Star Trek story that doesn't depend on time travel to carry it through.

One last gripe, and I realize it's just my opinion, but the Constellation (if that's still its class) Enterprise is butt-ugly in every single version I've seen including this one. Galaxy class all the way baby...

Edited by myk

One last gripe, and I realize it's just my opinion, but the Constellation (if that's still its class) Enterprise is butt-ugly in every single version I've seen including this one. Galaxy class all the way baby...

Constitution class.

And although I love TNG, the Galaxy class is IMO the least realistic looking of all the Enterprise designs. The warp nacelle pylons make no sense at all.

3513133764_8aed10b848_o.jpg

Edited by Grand Admiral

I thought it was excellent. I especially like the way it was written to shut up fans about how it isn't perfectly correct with the already established canon, thought THAT was the best part.

I agree. Growing up with 24th century Trek, I find the Constitution and any of its derivatives quite ugly. Also add the pyjamas and the consoles with gauges and buttons to the ugly list.

How I miss a Star Trek show that actually embraces design and aesthetics.

And although I love TNG, the Galaxy class is IMO the least realistic looking of all the Enterprise designs. The warp nacelle pylons make no sense at all.

You got to be kidding me. The one with the most awkward nacelle pylon design is the Refit-Constitution.

Andy Probert's elegant Galaxy-Class all the way!!!!

Edited by lechuck

Hard Core Trek fan and trivia fanatic... I'll go against the flow of praise.

I did go to watch this movie with an open mind. But was disappointed.

One I won't accept this as a Yesterday's Enterprise scenario with a wiped out timeline.

I chalk it up as a A Mirror Darkly scenario where Spock and the Romulans were flung to another reality's past.

I can't help but notice some inconsistencies. Like Pike saying the Federation is an armada etc. It struck me as the writer did not do research.

Another is suddenly everyone knows that Romulans and Vulcan's were related. The Romulans were still a mystery in the early and mid 23rd century. Second contact between the Federation and the Romulan Empire occured a hundred years after the Romulan War. The Enterprise were involved with this. Also the Federation has a Neutralzone with the Klingon Empire?! The Federation and the Kilingons did not have a Neutralzone till the Organians forced on them a peace treaty. The Enterprise again was involved in it.

I enjoyed Leonard Nimoy reprising Spock and meeting younger versions of his crew. The new McCoy's actor was a good cast. I'm annoyed that the new Chekov is too stereotyped with the accent. Pike ended up in a wheel chair again but no life support. The brain bugs were from Ceti Alpha V of Star Trek II.

Technobable I don't think Scotty can take credit for the long range transporter beam tech. Gary Seven did demonstrate a very long range transporter beam which he was accidentally caught by the Enterprise's transporter. Also where were the freaking shields?!

I had a WTF that Spock and Uhura had a thing. That and Scotty getting assigned to the backwater of the galaxy smells plagiarism to me.

Why? It is blatant rip-off of some themes from a Fan-made Star Trek film involving previous Star Trek franchise actors particularly Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig. In the film Uhura was married to Stron. Stron was Spock's rival for T'Pring. The guy killed at the beginning was assigned to a backwater outpost. Vulcan was destroyed. Charlie Evans travelled through time for revenge killing Kirk before he was born.

On the ships... Nero's ship is the weirdest Romulan ship I've seen. A new variety of Starfleet ships which look like they killed the Matt Jeffries equivalent designer of starships. The Enterprise is younger than its TOS counterpart. The original Enterprise was already a couple of decades old when Kirk took command. The treat here were the D7 battlecruisers. But they were referred as Warbirds like in the beginning of Enterprise. Warbirds as a terminology besides the Romulan Warbird in the Klingon shipbuilding I would prefer for the Raptor and Bird of prey.

I agree. Growing up with 24th century Trek, I find the Constitution and any of its derivatives quite ugly. Also add the pyjamas and the consoles with gauges and buttons to the ugly list.

How I miss a Star Trek show that actually embraces design and aesthetics.

The TNG style all-glass control surfaces are very pretty for onscreen showy scenes, but you need a balance of actual tactile buttons. Have you tried playing a game on an iPhone? It's pretty, but doesn't compare to an actual dedicated game controller. In a similar sense, you would want some actual buttons and joysticks for controlling certain things on a ship. The new movie actually does a pretty nice job of having some touchscreens mixed with levers and joysticks.

And TNG had their own pajamas, so I don't think you're making much of a point there. At least they got some duty jackets later on. :lol:

The other series have design and aesthetics, but they don't put form over function quite as far as TNG did.

I think the 1701-A has a nice blend of screens and tactile buttons. And actual uniforms, not pajamas. :lol:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Const...it_bridge_2.jpg

You got to be kidding me. The one with the most awkward nacelle pylon design is the Refit-Constitution.

Andy Probert's elegant Galaxy-Class all the way!!!!

I think we can just chalk this up to liking what you grew up with. ;)

The Galaxy Class is the ugliest & most useless of all ST ship deisgns, I've never understood fondness for it. Well, whatever class the Voyager was gave it a run for its money. And since when has strict continuity been a factor in Star Trek? Seems a minor quibble to hate on. Any complaint can be trumped with the simple mention of KLINGONS!

Edited by Keith

Hard Core Trek fan and trivia fanatic... I'll go against the flow of praise.

I did go to watch this movie with an open mind. But was disappointed.

One I won't accept this as a Yesterday's Enterprise scenario with a wiped out timeline.

I chalk it up as a A Mirror Darkly scenario where Spock and the Romulans were flung to another reality's past.

I can't help but notice some inconsistencies. Like Pike saying the Federation is an armada etc. It struck me as the writer did not do research.

Another is suddenly everyone knows that Romulans and Vulcan's were related. The Romulans were still a mystery in the early and mid 23rd century. Second contact between the Federation and the Romulan Empire occured a hundred years after the Romulan War. The Enterprise were involved with this. Also the Federation has a Neutralzone with the Klingon Empire?! The Federation and the Kilingons did not have a Neutralzone till the Organians forced on them a peace treaty. The Enterprise again was involved in it.

I enjoyed Leonard Nimoy reprising Spock and meeting younger versions of his crew. The new McCoy's actor was a good cast. I'm annoyed that the new Chekov is too stereotyped with the accent. Pike ended up in a wheel chair again but no life support. The brain bugs were from Ceti Alpha V of Star Trek II.

Technobable I don't think Scotty can take credit for the long range transporter beam tech. Gary Seven did demonstrate a very long range transporter beam which he was accidentally caught by the Enterprise's transporter. Also where were the freaking shields?!

I had a WTF that Spock and Uhura had a thing. That and Scotty getting assigned to the backwater of the galaxy smells plagiarism to me.

Why? It is blatant rip-off of some themes from a Fan-made Star Trek film involving previous Star Trek franchise actors particularly Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig. In the film Uhura was married to Stron. Stron was Spock's rival for T'Pring. The guy killed at the beginning was assigned to a backwater outpost. Vulcan was destroyed. Charlie Evans travelled through time for revenge killing Kirk before he was born.

On the ships... Nero's ship is the weirdest Romulan ship I've seen. A new variety of Starfleet ships which look like they killed the Matt Jeffries equivalent designer of starships. The Enterprise is younger than its TOS counterpart. The original Enterprise was already a couple of decades old when Kirk took command. The treat here were the D7 battlecruisers. But they were referred as Warbirds like in the beginning of Enterprise. Warbirds as a terminology besides the Romulan Warbird in the Klingon shipbuilding I would prefer for the Raptor and Bird of prey.

But it isn't supposed to be like the original, that was the who point of the time travel plot. I know you can tear it apart but still it's an entirely new Trek with new things in it so people who aren't hardcore fans like myself can still enjoy it.

I won't say I'm a hardcore Trek fan, but I am a Trek fan and I really enjoyed the movie. All the major characters had their moments (though Chekov was a bit over the top) and the story moved along at a nice pace, didn't drag or anything. I geeked out when Spock did the "Picard Maneuver" at the hearing. There were alot of nice little nods to TOS and such and overall as movie, I thought it was good.

The Galaxy Class is the ugliest & most useless of all ST ship deisgns, I've never understood fondness for it. Well, whatever class the Voyager was gave it a run for its money.

I agree. The Galaxy Class has always been an ugly duckling IMO. The bulbous saucer, the fish mouth deflector, the completely undersized warp nacelles... No thanks.

My favorites will ALWAYS be the early "Movie" era ships, the Refit Constitution, the Miranda Class, the Excelsior Class (and even the Refit Excelsior from Generations), etc. I always thought those had the best design aesthetic.

I guess it all chalks up to what you remember the most fondly. My fondest Star Trek memories were watching the movies. My dad and grandpa and I would always go see them when they first came out. Also, the first model I ever built was a huge Ertl Enterprise-A/Refit that I absolutely loved so that probably played a major part.

Vostok 7

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I definitely intend to do so.

As for ship designs, I never really had a problem with the Enterprise-D, although my favorite designs are probably the Enterprise-E and Voyager.

Not a Trek fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good, but not great, definitely entertaining. Really had alot of fun watching it. Lots of fist fights, pussy, and explosions. Also, very Star Wars. VERY Star Wars.

+1 on not rehashing classic musical scores unlike TNG did with a few of it's own movies

+1 for a sexy Uhura in panties

+1 for sexy green alien babe nailin kirk (I swear, I didn't see it coming and I should of!)

+4 for seeing Sulu doin some awesome ninja ass kicking

+100 for Angsty "I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS!" Attitude Spoke

+XXXXX for the classic line "I have, and shall always be, your friend" I KNEW that had to come up at some point!

Visually the movie is awesome, I loved how it opened, and I love how they really play with the camera, a lot of close up shots of the outter body, and how mechanical and cramped engine room is and such.

I loved the bridge a lot, it had a mix of advanced and old school all over it.

Story wise, I wasn't really too into it in some areas cause now...everything we know is changed.

Still, I'd see it again!

This highlight makes me bought an online ticket for this evening's show. :lol:

Constitution class.

Maybe it's because I grew up with it, but the orginal TOS Constitution class is still my favorite. I was never big on the Enterprise/Constitution II class. It's not that bad looking, but it's not my favorite. I'm not a fan ofthe Galaxy class. Never thought they were good looking ships. Anything looks better than an Excelsior, though. Hate the way those things look. I love the Ambassodor class. Enterprise C had just enough of that old school look to endear itself to me. I also really like the aggresive lines of the Soveriegn class. Enterprise E has got to be one of the best looking 'Prises.

I'm still not too sure about this new old Enterprise. It looks like they slapped the refit's saucer on an otherwise organic ship. Everything but the saucer looks like it was built by the Minbari. And, I hate that bridge design. Looks like an iPod threw up. The 60s called, they want their stark white sets back. I miss the utilitarian grays of the orginal series.

Saw it, loved, it, no complaints. I thought it was great. The bar for summer movies has been raised in my opinion, I think ROTF could surpass it, but unlike Trek, it is likely to have ill-timed, cliche humor, and the broken 180-rule camera angles.

I do hope sequels are planned, I loved this new Trek. I'm a casual Trek fan, I found the original to be too campy, and watched TNG as a child since it was on almost everyday. So I'm not very knowledgeable on Trek, but this movie had me excited since the first trailer last summer, and it did not disappoint.