New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

So at Arclight, did anyone scream out, "What don't you F*CKIN' understand?!" or "Let's not take a f*ckin' minute; LET'S GO AGAIN!!" during the T4 trailer?! :D

Thats getting really old now.

Taksraven.

So at Arclight, did anyone scream out, "What don't you F*CKIN' understand?!" or "Let's not take a f*ckin' minute; LET'S GO AGAIN!!" during the T4 trailer?! :D

yeah... that was me, but to the snack vendor when he forgot the butter on my popcorn.

I love how he says Star Trek has to recreate itself and at the same time he want's to go back and do 60's style TV show. Hooray for stupid ideas.

Helllloooooo... Enterprise failed because it was a prequel and because the majority of Trek fans didn't like that premise. Trek has to move forward not backwards!!!!

I love how he says Star Trek has to recreate itself and at the same time he want's to go back and do 60's style TV show. Hooray for stupid ideas.

Helllloooooo... Enterprise failed because it was a prequel and because the majority of Trek fans didn't like that premise. Trek has to move forward not backwards!!!!

Out of curiosity, has anyone been following the timeline Cryptic has been establishing for the period between Star Trek Nemesis and their Star Trek MMORPG? Screw the 60's, and screw reboots, there's plenty of fertile ground for new Trek right there.

Well the trailer looks better than I'd hoped despite the grainy Youtube quaility. maybe when I get to see it in the Cinema I will be more pleased.

Eaitehr way the fact that is has many of the Girly favorites will mean that us SciFi geeks will be able to take our otherwise uninterested women to see it.

I think they're doing this because of all the time cop crap they introduced with Voyager. They kind of wrote themselves into a corner and starting over is the easiest way of dealing with it. Though, I suppose they could just say something like, "blah blah blah, too many intersections in the 4th dimension, time travel isn't possible now, blah blah blah" and be done with it.

Partially true. What also killed Enterprise was the fact that ST was waaaay too mass produced creating the old quantity vs. quality problems AND the series had a nit-picky fanbase that was really taking the show for granted.

If anything there needed to be a bigger gap between the production of Voyager and Enterprise. It means that you don't overwork the writers and you give them space to come up with new ideas. Make those fans go without it for a while, they they will appreciate it more!

Thats why if they do go ahead and make another TV series now, it would be courting disaster again. If this film is successful (and I think it will be) they should let the production team continue with a few more films over the coming years and THEN start the moves to take it back to TV where it really belongs.

Taksraven

Eaitehr way the fact that is has many of the Girly favorites will mean that us SciFi geeks will be able to take our otherwise uninterested women to see it.

Its a good idea for marketing, Trek has never been aimed at women in THAT way, so it could be a success.

Taksraven

I think they're doing this because of all the time cop crap they introduced with Voyager. They kind of wrote themselves into a corner and starting over is the easiest way of dealing with it. Though, I suppose they could just say something like, "blah blah blah, too many intersections in the 4th dimension, time travel isn't possible now, blah blah blah" and be done with it.

Time travel does not have to be a crap plot device (look at Star Trek IV), but the way it was used in the TV series was terrible!

Taksraven

Time travel does not have to be a crap plot device (look at Star Trek IV), but the way it was used in the TV series was terrible!

Taksraven

right, I was just trying to think of a way so that the whole Federation as Time Cop future doesn't happen. A blanket ban on time travel seemed the easiest way to do it.

Taksraven

Yeah... I actually hated Star Trek IV. More than V, actually.

hrmmm...not sure what happened to my original post, but here goes again:

What I think killed Voyager and Enterprise was mainly it's lack of exploration enthusiasm. Enterprise was supposed to be looking at the building blocks of the Federation, making do without things like transporters, universal translators and the like. Having people actually have to try and work to explore. Voyager was supposed to be get back to "explor(ing) new worlds and new civilizations", but mostly we just got rehashed episodes of what had come before. Both shows failed to live up to their premise. If the new movie can muster up even a fraction of what it would feel like "to boldly go where no man has gone before", it just might save the franchise. btw, if anyone wants to read a fantastic what-could-have-been Voyager story, check out "Places of Exile" in the Infinity's Prism anthology.

Yeah... I actually hated Star Trek IV. More than V, actually.

I dunno about that. Watching Star Trek V is like picking up a hammer and smashing yourself in the face with it repeatedly.

Taksraven

hrmmm...not sure what happened to my original post, but here goes again:

What I think killed Voyager and Enterprise was mainly it's lack of exploration enthusiasm. Enterprise was supposed to be looking at the building blocks of the Federation, making do without things like transporters, universal translators and the like. Having people actually have to try and work to explore. Voyager was supposed to be get back to "explor(ing) new worlds and new civilizations", but mostly we just got rehashed episodes of what had come before. Both shows failed to live up to their premise. If the new movie can muster up even a fraction of what it would feel like "to boldly go where no man has gone before", it just might save the franchise. btw, if anyone wants to read a fantastic what-could-have-been Voyager story, check out "Places of Exile" in the Infinity's Prism anthology.

Yeah, me and my boys have argued these particular points ad nauseum.

As I once said, BSG is precisely what Voyager could have been.

As for Enterprise, it could have been interesting if they kept focusing on the birthing pains of the Federation and man's first steps into interstellar exploration. Problem was most of your typical episodes for these two series became too run-of-the-mill, too formulatic.

But we'll see what happens with this film. This last trailer actually/finally piqued my interest.

As for Enterprise, it could have been interesting if they kept focusing on the birthing pains of the Federation and man's first steps into interstellar exploration. Problem was most of your typical episodes for these two series became too run-of-the-mill, too formulatic.

That is exactly what killed it.

IMO they should have stayed with the alternate universe that they did in the last series. It patched in with the alt universe stories from TOS and DS9. that universe was way more interesting. You could almost tell the acotrs liked doing something that wasnt just run of the mill "reconfigure the deflector to...." or "what if we make <insert techy device> produce a tachion wave of 2.5billion ghz....." and the goody goody type story arcs they had to play with.

When they first billed Enterprise over here in the U.K I was interested as to how it would workwith out transportters warp 9 and universal translators. I though it would make it a grity story that would be more "real" and a bit more like B5 and that the good guys wouldnt always win.

Then after the first series I worked it out they'd just write in all the usual stuff and it would be the same. Have Trip make such and such or have Hoshi learn the language in 10 minutes. Shoot a few bad guys dodge the time traveling badies and home for tea and medals.

Edited by big F

I was in the theatre about to watch Watchmen,and in the previews showing was t4 + star trek.

when star trek came on I was so excited ,goose bumps watching it on the big screen...as soon as the preview finished everybody laughed their ass,s off!!!

I was shocked!!!I know it,s not everyone,s bag(general public) ,but everyone there just couldn.t take it seriously..and leaving the theatre I could hear some taking the piss out of it,it had stuck in their mind even after the movie!!!If thats any indication of of it,s box office success it,s up to the fans + si-fi lovers!!!!

then again Australians are a hard audience.i,m looking forward to it!!

I was in the theatre about to watch Watchmen,and in the previews showing was t4 + star trek.

when star trek came on I was so excited ,goose bumps watching it on the big screen...as soon as the preview finished everybody laughed their ass,s off!!!

I was shocked!!!I know it,s not everyone,s bag(general public) ,but everyone there just couldn.t take it seriously..and leaving the theatre I could hear some taking the piss out of it,it had stuck in their mind even after the movie!!!If thats any indication of of it,s box office success it,s up to the fans + si-fi lovers!!!!

I have had the same scenario a few years ago. But I usually see the films I want to regardless of weather some guy down the pub says its good or not. Even the suposed film critics get it wrong. I remember several films over the years that the critics said were not good that went on to do very well. At the end of the day you are the best critic of what you like or dont like.

I dunno, I've seen some interesting audience reactions in Australia over the years.

* Groans, shocked laughter and a single solitary cry of "MUMMY" when Neve Campbell started kissing Denise Richards in Wild Things.

* Laughter, cheering AND screaming during Starship Troopers. There was also some horror at what Dizzy's breasts looked like.....

* A guy leaving the theatre in disgust and slamming the door behind him due to the violence in Hana Bi.

* Real shock and disgust when John Travolta blows the guys head off in Pulp Fiction.

* Audiences breaking into loud cheers when Jack Nicholson stuffs up at the end of A Few Good Men....

I dunno, maybe these reactions are just universal.

I think that Trek will have a hard sell but I think that the trailer stuffs up with the daggy logo at the end with the transporter sound effect and silly music. The rest of the trailer is great.

Which part of Australia specifically were you in to see this trailer, BTW? (Suburb that is)

Taksraven

Even the suposed film critics get it wrong.

Critics always get things wrong. I remember years ago when they were all raving about Life is Beautiful and when I saw it I thought it was a HUGE pile of shite.

Taksraven

Undiscovered Country was OK. Most of the original cast films were OK *EXCEPT* for V. (Everybody knows that)

First Contact was good on paper but sucked onscreen. ("So you guys are on some sort of Star Trek", ugh)

Nemesis had potential but they really-REALLY screwed it up. The one b4 nemesis was bloody terrible too.

Taksraven