New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

You mean the Enterprise was secretly created by Kirks dying grandfather, using a lost ancient technology with the power to become either a god or a demon. When Kirk jumps into his mini shuttle craft & yells "Enterprise GO!" it attaches to the bridge & becomes the super starship Enterprise Z!

no, that would be silly. Kirk's dad made the ship out of kirk's mom's DNA. ^_^

That's not his mom's DNA, that's an A.I. that's the core of the ship that's deeply in love with him, and it was his grandfather!

The only real question, will Kirk bother to hit the female half of Baron Ashura or not...

Edited by Keith

All of this reboot nonsense (sans the uniforms) would have worked just as well if they'd just placed it in current era ST, with entirely new characters/ship. Since the intent is to draw in a new fanbase, why bother reusing anything that's come before, and just setup a new crew.

All of this reboot nonsense (sans the uniforms) would have worked just as well if they'd just placed it in current era ST, with entirely new characters/ship. Since the intent is to draw in a new fanbase, why bother reusing anything that's come before, and just setup a new crew.

Nah, I can understand a reboot with the classic crew, it's not a bad idea. You're just evil (OK, you're not evil either).

Isn't the point of the reboot to get rid of all the increasingly lame baggage that was piled onto the franchise the last few times they just introduced an "entirely new characters/ship" in the "current era ST?"

The whole point of a reboot is to say: "The current era sucks. We're starting over." And that's a sentiment with which I whole-heartedly concur.

IMHO, the reboot was a great decision and the only way to revive the franchise. . . as it's the only realistic and effective way of fully wresting it from the grasp of its increasingly emo, eccentric (and Communist!) fanbase.

(I'm only partially kidding about the Communism thing!)

H

Wasn't "Enterprise" a "current era sucks, let's go back to the beginning" type thing? Didn't work so well.

but it wasn't a reboot, it tried to fit itself into the continuity. And even if it was supposed to be a reboot, it's not the idea that was flawed but the implementation.

I agree with Hurin, trek writers really wrote themselves into a hole with all their time travel stories... scrapping the whole convoluted mess and starting over isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Wasn't "Enterprise" a "current era sucks, let's go back to the beginning" type thing? Didn't work so well.

yet, lasted for what? 4 or 5 years? And is still shown on reruns?

Personally, no problems with the Enterprises appearance, don't really care. All I care about is seeing the movie. I've been going and seeing these movies in theater since the 6th film, even the last one no matter how godly awful that was.

http://www.empireonline.com/empireblog/Post.asp?id=313

okay, what i'm getting is the crux of the changes is the kelvin incident. basicaly

kirks dad dies, which without his influence changes kirks outlook on life leading him to not entering starfleet when he should have it can also be construed that the incident can technically be considered responsible for some of the other changes as well, like scotty in exile, and maybe the reason why the acadamy was moved to iowa and so on. the timeline has been effed up since kirks birth and future spock's involvement is an attempt to try to salvage somethin

Surely you realize that there is a difference between, on one hand, going back in time within an existing canon and, on other hand, "rebooting" the canon and saying that none of the pre-existing rules ("baggage") applies.

Enterprise was still beholden to the baggage. This movie is a reboot, and therefore is not.

You know, I am rather encouraged by the fact that there appears to be a time travel element to this plot.. While they managed to screw up Enterprise (and the entire canon timeline) a lot with it, it's also resulted in a couple of the best movies in the franchise. If they can combine the time travel and fanatical menace elements correctly, you might come up with a plot that mixes the best bits of Khan, STIV, and First Contact.

Heh.. you know, as long as time travel is involved... anyone here ever read the novel 'Imzadi?' I know we've seen time travel produced by a multitude of methods, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Guardian of Forever is involved here. That'd be an awesome nod to the original series if they do it.

Edited by Chronocidal

You know, I am rather encouraged by the fact that there appears to be a time travel element to this plot.. While they managed to screw up Enterprise (and the entire canon timeline) a lot with it, it's also resulted in a couple of the best movies in the franchise. If they can combine the time travel and fanatical menace elements correctly, you might come up with a plot that mixes the best bits of Khan, STIV, and First Contact.

Heh.. you know, as long as time travel is involved... anyone here ever read the novel 'Imzadi?' I know we've seen time travel produced by a multitude of methods, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Guardian of Forever is involved here. That'd be an awesome nod to the original series if they do it.

time travel is fine as long as at the end of it all there's just one continuity, but with Voyager and Enterprise and to some extent with DS9, the writers created at least two timelines, one in "real time" that the viewers followed but also a future timeline that was linked to the present but was also 'fixed' in that at the resolve of each episode, the future that we saw was confirmed as the "correct" future. Voyager was the worst offender, in my opinion, with their "time cop" version of starfleet... blegh.

Eventually Trek writers were going to write themselves into that future setting and being locked into a design/technology aesthetic born in the late 90's is more of a liability than anything else.

For me, this is the reason to do a reboot... so Trek can grow organically again without having to worry about meshing their stories with the snipets of the "future" that were shown in various episodes... and to save themselves from having to answer to irate fanboys at conventions why the instrument panels in ST: the next next generation don't look exactly like the instrument panel from episode 666 of ST: Voyager... :p

On the DVD commentary for First Contact, both Brannon Braga and Ronald D. Moore cited the baggage of continuity as one of the reasons why Star Trek was daunting for writers to contribute to, and expressed the belief that the franchise might have needed a reboot to provide a clean slate for writers to tell new stories.

Another thing I think you can do with a reboot is to more effectively tell TOS than was possible in the 1960s.

IMHO, the reboot was a great decision and the only way to revive the franchise. . . as it's the only realistic and effective way of fully wresting it from the grasp of its increasingly emo, eccentric (and Communist!) fanbase.

(I'm only partially kidding about the Communism thing!)

H

The problem has never really been the fanbase. If anything, they needed to wrestle control of the franchise away from Rick Berman and his cronies. Both Voyager and Enterprise had some really solid premises and foundations to build upon. The problem is that the stories very rarely tapped into that potential and wound up often being rehashes of earlier Trek stories and episodes.

Too often, I felt that the writers and creative forces behind these last two Star Trek series were focusing more on standard plots and premises, rather than focusing on the characters themselves.

I can't place blame for the demise of the franchise on its fanbase, when it was the previous stewards of the franchise holding the proverbial smoking gun.

As for the reboot, I understand why it was done. I'm not a big fan of it or the timing of the reboot, but I can understand why folks felt it needed to be done.

I actually liked Enterprise on its own. Im not a trek fan by any means, so I just ignored the rest and watched enterprise by itself. Once I did that the show was quite solid, though not perfect by any means. Still my fav Trek show.

yeah, I liked it as well. definitely better than voyager and a great deal of DS9 and early TNG.

http://www.empireonline.com/empireblog/Post.asp?id=313

okay, what i'm getting is the crux of the changes is the kelvin incident. basicaly

kirks dad dies, which without his influence changes kirks outlook on life leading him to not entering starfleet when he should have it can also be construed that the incident can technically be considered responsible for some of the other changes as well, like scotty in exile, and maybe the reason why the acadamy was moved to iowa and so on. the timeline has been effed up since kirks birth and future spock's involvement is an attempt to try to salvage somethin

As long as the new timeline doesn't have borg popping up every five minutes, or preferably at all. Also, are the new nosforatu romulans the official design.. because ???

TOS (real TOS not this reboot rubbish) > DS9 war stuff > all the rest of the trek drek.

meh, I'll take anything except for voyager over the "real" TOS any day. And the this reboot rubbish looks very good to me. It actually has me excited for star trek and it's been years since the last time that happened.

I just saw the most recent trailer for the new movie at "Quantum of Solace", and now I'm really looking foward to it. Zachary Quinto looks good as Spock, and the whole style update is kinda cool.

I've never been one to dwell on the past or exclaim "they raped my childhood". All the original Shatner/Nimoy episodes and movies and the classic Enterprise that I grew up with are still out there to enjoy, as they've always been, and I'm excited about seeing something fresh and new done with the Star Trek concept.

I've never been one to dwell on the past or exclaim "they raped my childhood".

Ironically, it's some of the most ardent supporters of every little detail that Lucas went back and did to his franchise that are now calling the concept of a Trek reboot "rubbish."

Apparently they prefer that beloved intellectual properties be horribly mangled the old-fashioned way.

I much prefer what Star Trek is doing. In fact, Star Wars could use a reboot as well. But that will probably have to wait until Lucas goes the way of Rodenberry.* And of course, in my perfect world, it wouldn't be a full reboot. They'd just start up again after Empire. ;)

*No, that's not to say that I wish ill upon him. Just stating the fact that it's unlikely that Lucas would ever allow a Star Wars reboot.

The trailer was supposed to be attached to Quantum of Solace (along with Watchmen), but instead all we got treated to was a bunch of garbage. Angels and Demons?! Frak that. And now the trailer is online on Apple's site, but I don't have Quicktime installed here at the office.

The trailer was supposed to be attached to Quantum of Solace (along with Watchmen), but instead all we got treated to was a bunch of garbage. Angels and Demons?! Frak that. And now the trailer is online on Apple's site, but I don't have Quicktime installed here at the office.

The trailer was attached to my viewing of QoS. Guess some theaters didn't get their copy in time? No Watchmen though.

Ironically, it's some of the most ardent supporters of every little detail that Lucas went back and did to his franchise that are now calling the concept of a Trek reboot "rubbish."

Ironic or hypocritical? All things Georgish are grand but don't you dare touch my classic Trek? ;)

Honestly, I don't see why people get so out of joint about this particular case of a reboot, since all the classic stuff is still around. There's a case to be made against Lucas, I suppose, considering that he won't make the classic versions available, but that's not the case with Trek. Are people lamenting that there won't be anything more added to the Trek continuity they've loved so far? Do they think a reboot somehow invalidates everything that already happened? To me, that would be like saying "woe is me, now I can never watch From Russia With Love again, because it's not part of the new continuity so it never happened!" I mean it's all fiction... none of it ever happened.

Perhaps I need to be more fanatical... :p