Does This Starship Look Familar To Something?

This model still work in progress but I need to know if it majorly looks simular to any sci-fi anime, tv show, movie, or games.

When I got this far I was thinking I seen it before then I relized the base hull has a trekish voyager feel but not enough to be like carbon copy.

So maybe subconsciously I may intergrated other sci-fi stuff into it and if its the case I may have to majorly redesign it before I try to add it to my collection for my pc game im slowly making.

So list it may look like if one was high/drunk/near or far sighted.......

StarTrek Voyager (You might be insanely high if you see more than just the base hull)

Starwars Empire Stardestroyer (some angles makes it look like its baby sister)

anything else...

post-898-1144888730_thumb.jpg

It looks like a ship from the very very old game Wing Commander: Privateer. IIRC the ship in the game was a freighter that had a large egg shaped bow section with a small cylindrical section behind that that had three engine naceles attachted to it.

It's overall shape reminds me of the new BattleStars from the new BSG series. Or, the Star Trek Voyager with some "junk"....

ZD you will find that no matter what you do, no matter how original your design people will find something to compare it to, even if it has only the most passing or resemblance. I myself have been guilty of that too, when B5 first came out I rejected it as being a DS9/Star Wars rip off. Heck I thought that the Starfury looked like an X-Wing, the Narn fighter, an A-Wing, etc... I got over that though and realized that they had vastly different designs and no real design commonality. I have also gotten frustrated as all get out when people say my own designs look too much like other designs, despite their originality, so don't let it get you down. Heck it is a nice design, and has only a very passing resemblance in silohette and general layout to what the others have said, and is definitely not a copy.

You can't do realism too much with sci-fi since designs and technology change and also how we do things. Startrek the original series had no commincators with camera in them like our cell phones nowadays or the bridge with analog rotating dial indicators. The first true spacewarship may not even have a bridge that sticks out and propulsion can be differn't than what scientist are working on or therioising.

I can't change the drive system since thats the trademark of the ship lineup, (ingame desciption will say Multi-thrust Ion turbine Engine or (MITE) and oddly shaped ramscoop system is usualy a dead give away for the series of merc ships that offer very powerfull frontal assault barrages but below average in defense).

ZD while tech may change the laws of physics do not, if you want to slow a ship down you have two options, either turn around and burn the engines, or have retroes. I think that is what Phyrox meant.

ZD while tech may change the laws of physics do not, if you want to slow a ship down you have two options, either turn around and burn the engines, or have retroes.  I think that is what Phyrox meant.

390863[/snapback]

If hes meaning that usualy my ship designs follow some common elements as no windows for combat ships and retros have armored trapdoors to pretect them from attacks. On the more detailed version of its smaller assault ship of the ship series has a bank of retros on the sides of the drive behind the ramscoop. Thats why theres never any defence guns on the drive itself.

Re: slowing down

That's always been the #1 failing of Trek ship design (and SW too I think)-----no way to slow down or reverse. Both ST and SW feature vectoring exhaust nozzles, clearly implying that thrust from their sublight drives have forces directly operating on the ship. Yet they can rapidly come to a stop "magically", with a rate of deceleration far greater than their forward acceleration.

I can totally buy "collapsing the warp field" or "coming out of hyperspace" to stop faster-than-light propulsion. But when they make it so clear that their sublight drives are little more than advanced forms of rocket propulsion that are directly affected by the ship's mass, it makes it hard to explain how they slow down rapidly with nothing but a few tiny verniers, when it took the main engines quite a while to ramp them up to speed.

Of course, it just looks cooler on screen to have big glowing engines at the back, and the audience can more readily identify the ship with present rockets and jets that way.