Oh yeah. It's definitely one of (if not) the best cartoons of the 90's. Anything that involved DC Comics and Paul Dini was awesome, most of the sequels are quite memorable too.

Batman the animated series was one of the best cartoons to come out in the mid 90's if ever. It defintely doesn't disappoint. I don't think i missed a single episode when i was a kid. :D

As for the homage episode you're talking about yes there was such an episode. It was a great episode, i think it took place after Batman the animated series switched over to the adventures of Batman and Robin. The storyline skipped ahead a couple of years at this point and the original Robin (Dick Grayson) had become Nightwing, while Batman was teamed up with the new younger kid Robin (Tim Drake) and Batgirl. The animation changed as well and looked more like Superman than it did the original series. The episode in question followed three kids living in Gotham, each with their own take on Batman and what he represented. I don't recall the other two all to well, except i think one of the kids thought of Batman like in the campy 60's era show with the flashing words when a bad guy got hit and crazy crap like that. :rolleyes:

All in all it was an awesome series and i was sad to see it go. It's too bad Batman Beyond didn't last as long as it should of as well, since that was shaping up to be a pretty damn good series IMO too. The new "The Batman" series that's running on Cartoon Network just doesn't live up to these two series. It's an interesting take on him but i just feel it's a little too kiddy in comparison to the animated series. BTW the Batman vs Dracula movie falls under this category of being a part of the new "The Batman" cartoon and not one of the animated series' movies.

Plus the whole Superman series and Justice League series were direct sequels/spin offs. That more then anything else makes the end of JLU hard to bare. I loved the 90's series and Mask of the Phantasm is probably the best batman movie ever, with Batman Begins bringing up a very close second.

This was my all time fave cartoon. I wish I had gotten around to getting the box set on dvd.

I also liked the 90s spiderman cartoon the most.

And don't forget the xmen. I used to watch that religiously.

What marvel should do is make an animated movie of the xmen cartoon the same way that transformers got an animated cartoon.

Super heroes belong in an animated form the most imo. It allows for proper proportions (ie think of characters like juggernaut and sabertooth) proper action scenes (I like seeing people getting beat up in animated form more than in live action movie form) and 'close the to comic' appearance. (people can wear spandex without being embarassed)

I prefer my characters to be stuck in thier fantasy form rather than come close to being real people. It's just not realistic to even have super heroes in the real world so I like that they exist in a parrallel existence to us. I can't imagine super heroes being realistic. After seeing hulk movie I would have much preffered an animated movie about hulk than to see him in cg.

Now the only reason I can accept batman begins is because he is a character most suited for a movie audience. He doesn't have powers but skill, and uses his brains to catch people. Same thing with the punisher movie: the guy relies mostly on his guns right? Same thing with the blade movie: blade is a half vampire so his powers are supernatural but this translates well to movie form since he still uses skill and weapons to fight, plus there is the horror element which translates well to a movie.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

As for the homage episode you're talking about yes there was such an episode.  It was a great episode, i think it took place after Batman the animated series switched over to the adventures of Batman and Robin.  The storyline skipped ahead a couple of years at this point and the original Robin (Dick Grayson) had become Nightwing, while Batman was teamed up with the new younger kid Robin (Tim Drake) and Batgirl.  The animation changed as well and looked more like Superman than it did the original series.  The episode in question followed three kids living in Gotham, each with their own take on Batman and what he represented.  I don't recall the other two all to well, except i think one of the kids thought of Batman like in the campy 60's era show with the flashing words when a bad guy got hit and crazy crap like that.  :rolleyes: 

390101[/snapback]

The Frank Miller bit was sweet. That one episode also threw a few jabs at Joel Shumacher and his take on the Batman movies. Remember the one kid who pranced around with a feathered scarf, and loved Batman because of the skin tight outfits and the car that could run on walls? :lol:

I've heard that in a later season, theres a storyline that is similar/homage to Millers Dark Knight Returns and there are some separate feature length animated movies (Batman versus Dracula, Batman and Superman, Mask Of The Phantasm) that I hear aren't half bad either.

390092[/snapback]

The episode you're talking about is Legend of the Dark Knight. It's has 3 takes on Batman. One is the old Dick Sprang campy Batman, the next is the Miller Dark Knight, and the last is the regular cartoon one battling Firefly. The episode is available on Volume 4 of the DVDs.

The Batman vs Dracula is actually a movie from the current The Batman show.

Other movies from BTAS/TNBA were Mask of the Phantasm, Sub Zero (straight to video), World's Finest (with Superman), and Mystery of the Batwoman. Also, Return of the Joker which is a Batman Beyond movie has an extensive flashback sequence with incredible animation.

The Frank Miller bit was sweet.  That one episode also threw a few jabs at Joel Shumacher and his take on the Batman movies.  Remember the one kid who pranced around with a feathered scarf, and loved Batman because of the skin tight outfits and the car that could run on walls?  :lol:

390120[/snapback]

To which the other kids replied "Yeah right Joel, that's stupid!" I laughed my ass off at that one.

Incedently my roomate in college was actually Paul Dini's step brother, I never actually got to meet Paul himself though.

I've heard that in a later season, theres a storyline that is similar/homage to Millers Dark Knight Returns

390092[/snapback]

"Rubber bullets. Honest." :D

Yeah this series was great; no two ways about it.

Two simple words:

Jo-ker.

Mark Hamill just brought that character to life. I don't think there was one episode that featured "Mistah J" that wasn't great. 'Course the Joker is my favorite villian of all time so I might be a little biased.

And who doesn't love Harlequin?

yes this show was awesome, it still comes on over here in MA late at night, we have like three different 24/7 all cartoon networks on my TV. so far almost all of the Dc animation I have seen i have liked greatly specially this and the Teen Titans.

chris

we have like three different 24/7 all cartoon networks on my TV.

390160[/snapback]

Really? Which ones are they? I can only think of two that my provider has: Cartoon Network and I think "BOOM" or something like that (you have to pay extra for the last one).

we have like three different 24/7 all cartoon networks on my TV.

390160[/snapback]

Really? Which ones are they? I can only think of two that my provider has: Cartoon Network and I think "BOOM" or something like that (you have to pay extra for the last one).

390161[/snapback]

Hi i have the Cartoon Network and Boomerang(which i think is the same as Boom) and there is one for disney it is pretty much all day and night cartoons, thy still play stuff like gargoyles and stuff on it. the Batman Animated comes on around midnight on Boom

chris

You gotta love all the DVD sets that have been coming out as well! :p

I have the first 4 box sets of Batman the animated series, as well as Justice League season 1, Superman animated series Season 1 & 2, and more.

They just released Batman Beyond season 1 also.

Damn I didn't know there were this much fans of the show here at Macross World.

That is great!

Every year at Wondercon Bruce Timm & Paul Dini are at the show in San Fran.

I always bring stuff for them to sign, Batman Animated series statues, Justice League action figures, etc...

They pretty much know me when they see me LOL!

I should take a picture of my collection to show you guys, but then I would have to dig everything out of my closet. :(

Yeah great show, I too am a big fan of it!

Hi i have the Cartoon Network and Boomerang(which i think is the same as Boom) and there is one for disney it is pretty much all day and night cartoons, thy still play stuff like gargoyles and stuff on it. the Batman Animated comes on around midnight on Boom

chris

390162[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Disney one. That one costs extra too I think.

I've heard that in a later season, theres a storyline that is similar/homage to Millers Dark Knight Returns

390092[/snapback]

"Rubber bullets. Honest." :D

Yeah this series was great; no two ways about it.

Two simple words:

Jo-ker.

Mark Hamill just brought that character to life. I don't think there was one episode that featured "Mistah J" that wasn't great. 'Course the Joker is my favorite villian of all time so I might be a little biased.

And who doesn't love Harlequin?

390156[/snapback]

Yeah, when I heard Hamill was VA on that, I always thought he was Robin. Then I saw a taping with him doing Joker's laugh and I was like HOLY :o:o:o:o !

Batman and Xmen were some of the best cartoons on when I was an older kid. That and the Tick. Man, why can't Fox rock anymore like that?

Batman and Xmen were some of the best cartoons on when I was an older kid.  That and the Tick.  Man, why can't Fox rock anymore like that?

390182[/snapback]

Xmen and Tick were also some of my favorites i sure do miss those shows. Where the hell are the DVD's for these two? :(

Anyways if any of you can find the DVD sets for BatmanTAS i def. recommend picking them up, its one of the few shows that i know of that can still hold my attention even after viewing it through adult eyes. Not too many shows i remember liking as a kid can do that anymore. *cough* A-Team. <_<

Batman Beyond just came out on DVD like some others were pointing out and it's only selling for 19.99 at most places which is an unbeatable deal considering the amount of episodes you're getting. It's a great follow up to the animated series.

Edited by Veritas

I personally hated Batman Beyond, especially when they 'killed' Mister Freeze (my favorite Batman villain for some reason....) Batman and Robin was an incredible cartoon tho.... I ahd like a zillion of the toys including the exclusive one that you got for buying every video that came out... and the movies were great. Still have them all on video.

I loved B:TAS too. Particularly the "original" series [1992-1995], before the change over to the Batman & Robin story arcs. I liked the character designs and animation style of the earlier series much better. Eps directed by Kevin Altieri tended to be the "best" among them.

The way they handled character development was absolutely superb, compared to the vast majority of super hero cartoons before [and since]. It really was hard to pick a favorite bad buy. Of course, M. Hamill's work as Joker was great. But Mr. Freeze, and Two Face? Can't leave them out. Their respective origins/stories were compelling, and did a good job of explaining the motivations behind what made them the way they were.

It could arguably be said that this series started the trend of chronologically "ambiguous" backdrops in shows--the cars, the clothes and other certain elements hinted at 30's-40's, but technology like jets, lasers and such kinda made you go "huh? just when is this supposed to be?"

Of course, I watched X-Men and Spiderman back in the day too. But the animation quality on the "new" Spiderman show--X-Men too for that matter--was pretty dodgy at best. Seems like the frame rates varied, anywhere from 24 fps down to 8 or 9 fps, often in the same episode. And I know he was supposed to be seen as the underdog hero, but jeez--it seemed like Spidey was always getting his arse kicked from one end of the episode to the next, week in and week out.

Ah, the good old days....

Edited by reddsun1

The B:TAS series was pretty good for it's time as well as Batman Beyond IMHO. I can't believe that BIG O was inspired by B: TAS anyway. but my favorite cartoon of the 90's was the 1994-1995 Iron Man series. I liked both of the intro songs for both seasons and I have them on my computer now. I remember I used to watch that show 8 years ago in the morning before my mom took me and my brother to school.

I have all 4 sets of Batman. Sets 1-2 of Superman, Batman Beyond S1 and Justice League S1. I am a huge fan of the DCAU because it was done well.

Set 4 of Batman I think is my favorite. You get Mad Love,Beware the Creeper and Legends of the Dark Knight.

To which the other kids replied "Yeah right Joel, that's stupid!"  I laughed my ass off at

390123[/snapback]

Don't forget that the store front that the kid is working on is called Schumaker.

Set 4 of Batman I think is my favorite. You get Mad Love,Beware the Creeper and Legends of the Dark Knight.

390294[/snapback]

Mad Love was good but I think my favorite was Over the Edge. The story is great and the animation is amazing. It seems that a lot of my favorite episodes had Japanese directors.

Edited by bigkid24

To which the other kids replied "Yeah right Joel, that's stupid!"  I laughed my ass off at

390123[/snapback]

Don't forget that the store front that the kid is working on is called Schumaker.

390294[/snapback]

Mad Love was good but I think my favorite was Over the Edge. The story is great and the animation is amazing. It seems that a lot of my favorite episodes had Japanese directors.

390737[/snapback]

The episodes that were directed by the Japanese directors also had the luxury of being animated by TMS in Japan. The other episodes at the time were done by Koko in Korea. Good but not as crisp or fluid as TMS.

B:TAS was the series that made me like Batman. All the stories with gangsters and non-super villains were very good and the overall atmosphere was so unique that made it stand out from everything else.

Remember the Konami SNES videogame about the series? That thing followed really close some of the episodes and had gorgeous graphics.

• 12 years later...

They need to add the rest of the DC Animated Universe series all the way through Justice League Unlimited.

And maybe toss in Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond:  Return of the Joker for good measure.

So much sustained goodness for all those years!

3 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I think you copied the wrong link. That's not Darkwing Duck.

Still pretty awesome, though.

Of all the damn Disney Afternoon cartoons that shoulr have got movies Darkwing was the most deserving and got no effing love even as a television series.

30 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Just a reminder regarding the best after school cartoon of all time. The pre-order for the entire series is up.

I am tempted.  I used to watch this with my Mom when I was a kid.  It was her favorite show next to Seinfeld.