On 12/31/2017 at 2:54 PM, Axelay said:

I did a kind of "bucket list" thing over this holiday - I bought a used "project gun" AR-15 so that I could work with my dad on getting it completely cleaned up and ready to go plinking. For a whopping $375, I feel like I did pretty well. Upper and lower are Palmetto State Armory, and it came with black Magpul MOE furniture. I don't know how the previous owner stored this rifle, but it definitely needs some TLC. The internals are in fantastic shape, but the externals are way below my weapon cleanliness standards. (Which is somewhat silly since everything else I have is a handgun.) It's got some small nicks as well, which are already driving me nuts. Any recommendations for very minor aluminum retouching? I've read all about the "tactical Sharpie" (LOL), but I think I may get one of those Birchwood Casey Aluminum blue touch-up pens.

Let's see pics!

Bump :)

B78ABE91-A2A3-41A6-875D-F5569E51E6FD-434

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a new Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm for my Mk12 Mod 1 clone build.  Technically it’s not exactly clone correct but I think it looks a little better than the VX-R Patrol I had on there before.  The Mod 1s were usually seen with the 2.5-8x36mm Mark 4, where the Mod 0 usually had a 3.5-10x40mm.  Also, mine’s not illuminated, but not the end of the world.

P2164316.JPG

Compared to the VX-R Patrol:

P2164329.JPG

P2164330.JPG

P2164336.JPG

P2164337.JPG

The VX-R Patrol went on to my M14EBR which had a Bushnell 5-15x40mm.  The Bushy was decent glass, but I really didn’t like the parallax adjustment on the objective, prefer side parallax adjustment.

Bushnell:

P2154293.JPG

VX-R Patrol:

P2154306.JPG

Also dumped the cheap Weaver Tactical rings in favor for a set of Leupold Mark 4 steel rings.

P2164341.JPG

P2164343.JPG

33 minutes ago, Chowser said:

I love that stock!  As always peter, beautiful pictures. 

On another note, the two CZ P10C SR guns I ordered in December 2016 finally arrived!

CEBD3_A3_D-_DA35-4_D4_B-_A523-2_DA2461_F

Oh nice!  and suppressor ready!  Sadly, I can only be jealous of you guys who can get them.  Doesn't look like they will ever be legal here, though they make total sense in terms of hearing protection and noise pollution.

I want learn to shoot. What gun for learn the basics (not only shooting, but maintenance and handling) the pros recommend to beginners like me? 

(I'm in Argentina, so maybe not all options are available for me choose)

51 minutes ago, Gerli said:

I want learn to shoot. What gun for learn the basics (not only shooting, but maintenance and handling) the pros recommend to beginners like me? 

(I'm in Argentina, so maybe not all options are available for me choose)

Hmmm....that's a tough question.  I guess it really depends on what you are able to shoot, what you have access to practice with and buy.

For me, I learned on the C7A2 (20" AR with the fun switch).  I'm not the smartest guy and I found it fairly easy to learn, but then again, they taught us as if we were all morons.

When my kid is old enough (maybe when he's around 10 or so), I will probably start him off with a bolt action 22lr and move up from there.

10 minutes ago, peter said:

Hmmm....that's a tough question.  I guess it really depends on what you are able to shoot, what you have access to practice with and buy.

For me, I learned on the C7A2 (20" AR with the fun switch).  I'm not the smartest guy and I found it fairly easy to learn, but then again, they taught us as if we were all morons.

When my kid is old enough (maybe when he's around 10 or so), I will probably start him off with a bolt action 22lr and move up from there.

Sorry, I was talking about a handgun... :p my bad.

36 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I learned to shoot from my stepdad then the military. I suggest learning from a local friend or family member. If neither is available then check for training at your local gun range if you have one.

This is good advice.  Especially if you plan on starting with a pistol because things can go wrong pretty fast with a pistol, especially if you are not used to muzzle control.  They're a lot easier to point the wrong way and get you or someone else in serious trouble fast.  

If you don't have access to the things TT mentioned, stick to these principles:

ACTS

Assume every firearm is loaded

Control the muzzle direction at all times

Trigger finger must be kept off the trigger and out of the trigger guard

See that the firearm is unloaded - PROVE it is safe

PROVE

Point the firearm in the safest available direction

Remove all ammunition

Observe the chamber

Verify the feeding path

Examine the bore

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I learned to shoot from my stepdad then the military. I suggest learning from a local friend or family member. If neither is available then check for training at your local gun range if you have one.

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Good tips there -- I learned with my dad, started off with a .22 single action revolver.  Worked my way up from there, as he saw I was comfortable (and SAFE) with larger calibers.

Nice to hear you guys got to spend quality time with your dads.  My dad’s great guy, never got into firearms, but not against them either.  He does like to play with any new toys I bring home though, lol!

My kid was born with an AR in his hands

PC101104.JPG

First teether was a PMag

DSC_0465.JPG

Trigger finger control needs improvement.....and he might be a lefty

IMG-20160627-WA0000.jpg

Might work has overwatch one day

_20161030_162425.JPG

Anyway, my philosophy

igcbm.jpg

Edited by peter

My wife would not be cool with that, lol. You must have an awesome wife.

My daughter will be 4 this year and my son is only two months but I'll teach them about guns when they are ready. I didn't shoot mine till I was sixteen. My stepdad who took me shooting just started dating my mom during my parent's divorce and I guess he thought it was a good way to get on my good side and it worked :)

• 4 weeks later...

I was talking to my Dad the other day and it was fascinating to find out when he was in middle/high school in the late 50’s/early 60’s that they had shooting training classes in the Public Schools.  Not for ROTC or anything special like that, just a general class like Shop or Home Ec. He learned how to shoo at school.  Of course he was in rural Mississippi and New Mexico.

12 hours ago, Mommar said:

I was talking to my Dad the other day and it was fascinating to find out when he was in middle/high school in the late 50’s/early 60’s that they had shooting training classes in the Public Schools.  Not for ROTC or anything special like that, just a general class like Shop or Home Ec. He learned how to shoo at school.  Of course he was in rural Mississippi and New Mexico.

I would have taken that class if it was offered in school.  

6 hours ago, peter said:

XYHMzKN.jpg

Really, even when the Galactic Empire has modified MG42's? Belt fed, I mean rechargeable back-pack powered seems to one up disposable batteries, not only in rate of fire but in power capacity as well.  

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, peter said:

That's awesome!  Off to an awesome start.  Build plans?

Not going to be anything special. Ordered a standard pistol build kit from Palmetto State Armory which comes standard with a Shockwave Blade pistol brace. The kit also included a Vortex SPARC AR red dot sight. I paid $249.99 for the complete kit. The red dot sight was listed at $259.00 just by itself if you bought it that way. Not too shabby, even if the sight was made in China. As for the upper, it also came from PSA. I was pretty stoked to find that the barrel was made by FNH.

DSC00910.jpg

DSC00909.jpg

On 3/25/2018 at 11:56 AM, peter said:

00561c6325ab08fbc816cf5103d72b90.jpg

:)

I've been doing some reading regarding the Canadian C8 model differences from the U.S. M4, while there are various nuances that separate the two what really caught my attention was that apparently for the rifles carrying the ELCAN optic; what is the thought process of putting the BUIS in front of the Optic, essentially giving one an AK sight picture as opposed to what we see above, the BUIS behind the Optic?  

2 hours ago, Wolf-1 said:

I've been doing some reading regarding the Canadian C8 model differences from the U.S. M4, while there are various nuances that separate the two what really caught my attention was that apparently for the rifles carrying the ELCAN optic; what is the thought process of putting the BUIS in front of the Optic, essentially giving one an AK sight picture as opposed to what we see above, the BUIS behind the Optic?  

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure.  I was never issued a C8, but I've played plenty with the C7 and C7A2 and they both had the C79A2 Elcan.  My guess is the incredibly crappy eye left little to no space at the rear of the optic?

ELCANs have very specific (and quite short) eye relief so you can't actually put a rear sight behind it. Typically you'd use a folding rear that fits under the sight overhang,  which requires removing the ELCAN to use your BUIS. Since the Canadians use a fixed rear block (and presumably because they want cowitnessed sights) it goes in front.

Regarding the BUIS, I've never seen a single one since I joined in the 7 yrs I've been in.

My C7 when I first joined:

DSCN2059.JPG

My C7 during basic:

P1071302.JPG

My current rifle, rack #47:

015.JPG

Triad rail and Cadex folding grip removed for a Serviice Rifle match.

Never issed the BUIS, though I have seen pics of it.

PA212528.JPG

My personal clone build of the work rifle.

Edited by peter

Posted this before, but my Mk18 Mod 0 clone.

00561c6325ab08fbc816cf5103d72b90.jpg

P8201744.JPG

As a Canadian, it was a collosal pain in the dick to source a lot of the parts.  The CQD sling plate is unobtanium in Canada, as is the Wilcox Aimpoint mount.  

Edited by peter

13 hours ago, peter said:

Regarding the BUIS, I've never seen a single one since I joined in the 7 yrs I've been in.

My C7 when I first joined:

DSCN2059.JPG

My C7 during basic:

P1071302.JPG

My current rifle, rack #47:

PA212528.JPG

My personal clone build of the work rifle.

On 3/31/2018 at 1:17 PM, anime52k8 said:

ELCANs have very specific (and quite short) eye relief so you can't actually put a rear sight behind it. Typically you'd use a folding rear that fits under the sight overhang,  which requires removing the ELCAN to use your BUIS. Since the Canadians use a fixed rear block (and presumably because they want cowitnessed sights) it goes in front.

Thanks guys, for the info and pics! Obviously any co-witness between Optic and BUIS is better than none, and off-set the step after that. My lack of knowledge on the ELCAN itself is now showing.  I was under the "ASSumption" it was a really rugged 1x red dot and not a fixed magnified optic.  This is why eye-relief never entered into my equation, I became fixated with the older concept of longer sight radius being superior to shorter. 

The article did mention the BUIS in question was not liked by the troops and therefore rarely seen; I suppose the fact its actually plastic is the real reason why. The lack of elevation adjustment and shotgun style ghost-ring aperture now make a little more sense though.

A.B.S.; are your upper receivers as domestically accurate as the lowers? Curious as to what the actual dimensional differences in flat-top rails are.  Unfortunately, the article I was reading mentioned very little in the way of C7's, not that I'm not interested.