Project Blue: Chikyo Sos

wolfx

Check out the trailer over at dannychoo:

http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/eng/485/Project+Blue/

Looks pretty interesting, retro even with the retro looking guns and ripple ring cannons.

The main "mecha" plane though looks like something overloaded with missiles. Kinda fugly. The CG looks like Makoto Shinkai's work with the vibrant colors.

it does remind alittle of ID4 with the giant shadow of the ship coming over the city. it looks pretty cool form what i see so i might check it out.

chris

The whole thing has a really retro/old school look to it. I definitely am going to check this one out.

Edit: just read that the anime is based on some science fiction illustrations made back in the 1940's. Explains the retro look.

Edited by JELEINEN

• 3 months later...

Wow. The first episode just rocks. It's totally a boys adventure SF story straight out of the fifties. The designs are outstanding. Not just the jets and flying saucers, but everything has a very retro look to it that is absolutely perfect. They even have vacuum tubes! I can't wait for the next episode.

Edited by JELEINEN

Pretty good for a first episode, but 45 minutes? They should've topped it at 15 minutes because at 25 minutes the retro was starting to wear thin on appeal. The music and intro was nicely done, but the lack of pop song will lower it's music appeal. The art gets a B- though, mainly because it had spotty fuzzy line art and flat almost lifeless colors along with the deep gray instead of black that digital gives. The story wasn't too bad, though you've got to enjoy the retro style in order to like it alot. I think that the SOS was homage to the Gozilla movies especially with the whole mystic/mysterious girl thing that they've got going on.

Hopefully episode 2 will be more interesting as the plot moves along.

Just Seen it. I really liked it overall. Fainting girls, side spikes on cars, 1,2,3 buttons for major pwnage on car, ripple beams, pesky lil kids....what's there not to like? :lol:

The music though retro was kinda bland especially during the action scenes. If it had like Sky Captain kinda sound track, it would be awesome. Can't wait for the DVD release.

just one thing. WHAT THE HELL WERE MIG 15's doing trying to saving tokyo? back then the only countries that had them would have helped the aliens blow up tokyo!

Ahh, but it's not back then. According to the story, it's the year 2000, and the city was named Metropolitan. As far as I could tell, Metropolitan doesn't seem to be a renamed Tokyo.

is there any lineart for those of us who do not have DSL?

423155[/snapback]

Official website: http://www.projectblue.jp/

The special edition version of the first volume comes packaged in a model box (and includes a model). I am seriously considering starting to import this (which will guarentee a US releas...). http://www.projectblue.jp/goods/

Edited by JELEINEN