Auctions Of Great Absurdity Thread V2.0

• 2 weeks later...

You know what?

I was wandering through evilBay after a harsh week working and fell onto this:

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/80s-Gakken-Lansay-Mospeada-Blue-Legioss-Tread-Robotech-Beta-Alpha-Macross-/400489340321?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item5d3f065da1

Totally worth it and definitely made my day week :lol:

You know what?

I was wandering through evilBay after a harsh week working and fell onto this:

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/80s-Gakken-Lansay-Mospeada-Blue-Legioss-Tread-Robotech-Beta-Alpha-Macross-/400489340321?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item5d3f065da1

Totally worth it and definitely made my day week :lol:

Why? That's a legit price for that. The Beta is a prototype never released and it's actually a forum member selling it. You can read more about it in the Mospeada thread. It should just be a few pages back.

Why? That's a legit price for that. The Beta is a prototype never released and it's actually a forum member selling it. You can read more about it in the Mospeada thread. It should just be a few pages back.

My bad then, I didn't realised it was a beta prototype, I was rather focused on the price, but if it's never been released and legit I deeply apologize ;)

Actually, the Lansay Treads are not prototypes. Prototypes are not sold to the general public; unlike this Lansay Tread, which was sold to the general public, albeit with a low production run of at least a thousand pieces.

Now, the Treads made in Japan are genuine prototypes because they were never sold to the general public. To the best of our knowledge, the (literally) handful that were made were made for marketing materials.

It's NOT a prototype as TLW explained. It is extremely rare... it's also a small, fragile, and lame toy (from what I understand... never handled one). You don't HAVE to explain a $4K purchase to anyone if you have $4K to spend on toys.

Actually, the Lansay Treads are not prototypes. Prototypes are not sold to the general public; unlike this Lansay Tread, which was sold to the general public, albeit with a low production run of at least a thousand pieces.

Now, the Treads made in Japan are genuine prototypes because they were never sold to the general public. To the best of our knowledge, the (literally) handful that were made were made for marketing materials.

I might be remembering this wrong, (in fact, I'm probably remembering this wrong because it's a a vague recollection of something I read in a copy of ToyFare magazine over a decade ago) but weren't the Lansay Treads not distributed at retail either? Something about them getting held up in customs when they tried to bring them in to France and never actually hitting store shelves.

I had heard a rumor once that a second shipment of Lansay Treads was ordered but had some issues with customs and never hit the market and is thus still sitting in a shipping container somewhere. I think it is highly unlikely and probably the result of someone who figured out what the production volume was for the toy and then thought "it seemed like way less made it to store shelves, there must be some stuck in a container somewhere!".

I had heard a rumor once that a second shipment of Lansay Treads was ordered but had some issues with customs and never hit the market and is thus still sitting in a shipping container somewhere. I think it is highly unlikely and probably the result of someone who figured out what the production volume was for the toy and then thought "it seemed like way less made it to store shelves, there must be some stuck in a container somewhere!".

post-8486-0-90837500-1373284003_thumb.jpg

Hey, it's 15% off.

So, I understand its a prototype, extremely rare if not, unique but how do you explain someone about a 4k toy. I mean, there are hundred year old Nihontos for that price.

- not to mention the very lovely 1/1 fully-articulated custom-made-to-order Anime Girl mannequins available in Japan for right around that same kind of scratch... (( 1/1 Mikuru Asahina... :wub: ))

Edited by Shaorin

Well, it is one-of-a-kind for sure....but I think 6,000 USD is too high...I don't believe even the original Takani art it is based off of would go that high...my guess would be about 500-1000 USD on bid type auction....

I stumbled across this seller while searching for Macross stuff on Amazon... WTF????

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me%3DACQ828KAU3PI9&field-keywords=macross

I'm really hoping they're confusing Korean Won for US Dollars. Even at yen pricing, that's way expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I think some Hong Kongers put up toys in Hong Kong dollars or something. There's a lot of ridiculously high prices on eBay. An item will bid and sell for $100 and then you'll see one get listed with a buy it now of $500. Crazy.

I'm kind of amazed at this - a USED Toynami Valk - selling this high?

Is it that he just took really cool pics of it? Might be time to sell mine!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toynami-Masterpiece-1-55-VF-1J-Super-Valkyrie-Miriya-Milia-Robotech-Macross-Veri-/221258870038?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=belM4w8zoa2YD3oe0oy6fhqdWDc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

post-8486-0-09276300-1375358775_thumb.jpg

( how come Yamato never came out with a gerwalk antennae? )

Edited by DarrinG

I'm kind of amazed at this - a USED Toynami Valk - selling this high?

Haha, but notice that the winning bidder only has 3 feedbacks. That looks mighty fishy to me.

( how come Yamato never came out with a gerwalk antennae? )

The v1 1/60 and 1/48 Yamatos had gerwalk antennas. But no one cared about that gimmick, so Yamato ditched it.

Haha, but notice that the winning bidder only has 3 feedbacks. That looks mighty fishy to me.

The v1 1/60 and 1/48 Yamatos had gerwalk antennas. But no one cared about that gimmick, so Yamato ditched it.

Fishy as in the person was duped - and thought they might be getting something else?

I would like the gimmick if it were an actual metal, telescoping one...

There's actually a pretty healthy secondary market for Toynami MPC VFs. I frequently see them go for above $100. Considering that they retailed for something like $70-$80, and the availability of superior Yamato (heck, even Takatoku and Bandai reissues) toys, I don't get the appeal. But there seems to be a market for them.