Robotech Size Charts For Mecha, Ships And Vehicles

wolframbane

Not a bad attempt, though the differing art/scan quality of the pictures taken from various websites is jarring to the eye (not to mention many of the mecha pcitures from RT.com, particularly the Glaug, look terrible).

It would be really cool to see a nice side profile of the DYRL? refit of the SDF-1. The rt.com picture is pretty good, but I love the film version design so much more. It would also be cool to have franchise specific scales, like a Macross-only comparison and what not.

At any rate, keep working and posting. It's a good start.

Nice...

Could you turn these into big jpeg files? I went to go save myself a copy until I realized I was saving just one ship at a time. My favorite images here are these...

f-legioss2.jpg

f-alpha2.jpg

f-beta2.jpg

That's some nice sharp line art that I don't think I've seen before. May I ask where you found it?

Carl

There's only one discrepancy with the last linked chart.  Note the size of the Daedalus pic down below the Macross; it's actually larger than it is as pictured docked with the Macross!  What's up with the scale?  :huh:

386275[/snapback]

Well... actually, the DYRL ARMDs are actually a lot larger than they are often shown by scale too... I guess it's just one of those things with animation. The VF-1 doesn't actually have the same dimensions in battroid and fighter mode as it should in the actual animation.

It's hard to scale things accurately in a drawing.

Nice work. However the VF-1's battroid form was the same height as the average Zentreadi soldier (they were made to be). The Zentreadi mecha actually dwarfed the VF-1s, eventhough the series never really showed it that well.

Edited by Zinjo

Yeah, the Regults in particular seemed to shrink and expand from ep to ep. Perhaps the best example of their relation in size was in the ep. in which Max/Misa/Hikaru/Kakizaki make their escape from Dolza in the stolen battlepod; the scene when they're picked up by the 3 VF's and taken back to the Macross shows a nice view of all the mecha in perspective. Wish there was a screen cap somewhere.

Well have a look at this. I know it's from DYRL and the mecha in the film is different from that seen inn the TV series but I think it should help anyway.

post-2604-1143997173_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the interest on my Robotech Size Charts. I am in the process of greatly expanding them, and I am trying to incorporate every mecha, vehicle and vessel that I can locate. I am adding more detailed charts for different scales, from as small as a Cyclone to as large as Dolza's ship. After I am completed the Robotech chart, I have tentative plans to construct one for Macross as well. If anyone has any mecha they would like to donate, or better pictures of ones I already have, please feel free to contact me.

For the dimensions, I have drawn upon two primary sources, macross.anime.net, and for the remainder, the Robotech Reference Guide and Robotech.com. The Deadalus on the side of the SDF-1 is smaller than the Daed by itslf, I believe the SDF-1 itself is slightly disproportionate. The Zentraedi height eems to fluctuate widely depending on the source, from 5x to 10x human height. I decided to use the dimensions for Milia from macross.anime.net. They seemed to indicate that her height and (ahem) measurements were 5x bigger when a giant, so I used the 'average' male height of 1.8 meters x 5. It does vary from Zent to Zent, and Breetai and Dolza are the exceptions.

Thanks to valk1j and chas for the Macross size comparson pics.

Most of the artwork is derived from various sources, such as Robotech.com, screencaps, art scans, etc. Much of the lineart is originally drawn by us. I will post some of them in hi-res on the color scheme thread in the next few days for those interested!!

Yeah, contrary to what a lot of people believe, a battroid towers over an average sized Zentraedi. Just because they were built to fight them, doesn't meant they had to make them exactly the same height. ;)

Yeah, contrary to what a lot of people believe, a battroid towers over an average sized Zentraedi.  Just because they were built to fight them, doesn't meant they had to make them exactly the same height.  ;)

388845[/snapback]

Totally agree. The Valk is quite higher than the "average" Zentran soldier. Just take a look at the comparative size of Breetai (this spelling is a lot easier than the original :lol: ) with the lower Zentran soldiers than come to his "aid" when he is blasted away by Hikaru's Valk self-destruction inside Breetai's flagship. And during the hand-to-hand fight Hikaru had with him, both Breetai and the Valk looked like similar in height.

I always thought it made more sense to make the battroids larger than the average Zentradi. Not only would you want stronger, more powerful "infantry" to fight the Zentradi, but you'd want to intimidate the enemy Zentran with a larger looking, more imposing soldier.

• 2 weeks later...