Yep and Tomino played blame the gaijin despite having massive oversight of Syd Mead and final approval when the design wasn't well received initially by Japanese fans.

I never had an issue with the design at all, other than the fact you wouldn't know it was a Gundam unless someone pointed it out as it looks NOTHING like a Gundam.

I always theorized it was the nano machines having to make repairs and the data was damaged thus this look. I mean it is a 2,000+ year old mobile suit

I never had an issue with the design at all, other than the fact you wouldn't know it was a Gundam unless someone pointed it out as it looks NOTHING like a Gundam.

I always theorized it was the nano machines having to make repairs and the data was damaged thus this look. I mean it is a 2,000+ year old mobile suit

Nah, it's in line with the Turn X & Sumo's.

Wha...?

Like everyone else, I hated the Turn-A when I first saw it, so I can understand the initial reaction. It wasn't until I saw the actual show that I realised so many of the seemingly bizarre designs made sense in the context of the series that I grew to love it; with the RX-93 and the Mark II, its one of my favourite Gundam designs.

Yep and Tomino played blame the gaijin despite having massive oversight of Syd Mead and final approval when the design wasn't well received initially by Japanese fans.

No, he didn't. He just mused that model kit sales might have been better if he had chosen a a design that was more traditionally Gundam-ish.

Edited by Gubaba

No, he didn't. He just mused that model kit sales might have been better if he had chosen a a design that was more traditionally Gundam-ish.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-08-29/gundam-tomino-thinks-young-voice-actors-all-sound-the-same/.78125

I've come to realize that asking Sid Mead [to do mechanical designs for the series] was a mistake, Tomino said. I was already a fan of his preexisting works, so I gave him free rein to do as he wanted. Actually, somewhere along the line I felt like there was something a little off with the designs he'd submitted, but by that time things were too far along to change their trajectory.

This is in spite of Syd Mead having several other more "traditional" looking gundam designs that were rejected by Tomino in his portfolio.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-08-29/gundam-tomino-thinks-young-voice-actors-all-sound-the-same/.78125

This is in spite of Syd Mead having several other more "traditional" looking gundam designs that were rejected by Tomino in his portfolio.

Maybe the people I've talked to are misinformed, I'm not sure, but I've been told that Rocketnews kind of "amplified" the quotes.

Tried to watch Episode 3 of Orphans last night, but Hulu's subtitles kept hanging up. They'd just stop as Biscuit told his sisters to be careful, but the show kept going.

Anybody else have this issue?

Maybe I'll try again tonight.

Mine won't play ANY subtitles.

Zeta, Hi-Nu, RX-78, and Unicorn. I personally hate the Wing Gundam, much prefer the beefed up Wing Zero (TV ver.)

I'll agree to unicorn. I was gonna put that down but I wanted to keep it to top 3. the OG gundam is kind of hard to talk about because it does define what a gundam is; but at the same time I find it almost too basic, to the point where it's more of a template than an actual design in of itself. Also, there's so many variation on "RX-78" some of which are really terrible. I'm gonna completely disagree on zeta though and say that Hi-Nu has never been high on my list either. Zeta is cool because it's from a good show and did cool things; just from how it looks alone though, it's kind of an awkward design. Neither the Hi-Nu nor the Nu gundam has really sat right with me. the Hi-Nu has a much better color scheme and backpack, but take those away and everything else is better executed on the Nu gundam.

and going back to wing for a second, Wing Zero to me always felt like it was trying too hard. it's perhaps he most egregious example of "we changed things for the sake of changing things without thinking about why we're changing them. I like wing Gundam because it captures the essence of the classic gundam design, while also embodying a shows aesthetic and communicating a clear specialization and function without becoming too bogged down by it's own gimmick

Exia and turn A are still my all time favorites because they take the core Gundam concept and translate it into there own unique, holistic design languages.

Edited by anime52k8

I hadn't noticed that when I watched the episode. Good observation skills fellas. I was probably too caught up in my " Why isn't Greenland being claimed by anyone? Surely those cold loving fellas from Arbrau cannot mind the cold, can they?"