In other news: 0083 Stardust Memory is finally getting a blu-ray release in Japan.

http://www.gundam.info/topic/13500

https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/cont/item/BCXA-1034/

Smart move with adding brand new bonus footage, just like they did with 08th MS Team. This time it is just a picture drama though. They used this chance to add more obscure MS, such as Dom Funf(space), antenna Gerbera, and beam weapon GP02.

I try to willingly forget it because it was one of the dumbest ideas ever for origin and completely un needed.

You're kidding right? Cause I thought it was brilliantly done and made a lot more sense on how he was even able to get into Zeon.

I try to willingly forget it because it was one of the dumbest ideas ever for origin and completely un needed.

It dates back ages, even before The Origin. Casval Deikun, in hiding as Edward Mass, met a young man who looked like him but with brown eyes, named Char Aznable. Assuming the other man's identity, he joined the forces of Zeon, in order to enact his revenge for the assassination of his parents from the inside. And that's why he always wore a mask: to hide that his eyes were blue, instead of the brown eyes of the true Char Aznable.

I'm well aware of the background material, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

Why?

1.Oh look its the "This completely unrelated guy looks just like me so we can trade places!" cliche.

2.How it all goes down. Casval plants fake explosives in Char's luggage and swaps places with him getting detained. Meanwhile the other guy boards the shuttle which mysteriously explodes(Zeon Zabi agents). Right. I know TSA is incompetent, but letting a guy go who tried to smuggle explosives(albeit fake ones) onto a shuttle that ends up exploding is complete BS. It would at least trigger an investigation into this "Char Aznable" guy.

3.The sunglasses. You know what I can accept? A random guy shows up at a Zeon recruiter wearing a mask claiming he suffered horrible facial scarring wanting to help the cause.

What I can't accept? A guy shows up claiming to be the son of a colony director that tried to smuggle a gun and explosives though security while being the only person on the passenger list to survive the shuttle explosion and refuses to take his sunglasses off.

Its especially dumb when Zeon Zabi agents are actively trying to kill Casval and no one bats an eye at the fact the guy who was traveling with Casval miraculously surived the shuttle explosion, looks exactly like him aside from eye color, and is now walking around refusing to show his eyes to anyone.

Really? Does anybody in the Zeon forces take photo id's? Or fingerprints for that matter? Hell with this much stupidity I might as well accept General Revil in a ski mask under the name "Feddie Spyman" getting recruited into Zeon!

More likely, Kacylia let him pass through intentionally.

After failing to kill his ass twice? Yeah that makes a ton of sense. It also contradicts what she told him in original Gundam about only finding out who he was after Dozle had him dismissed from service when Garma died.

Also why the hell is Ramba Ral allowed to serve with Zeon? If Jimba is a known traitor they had killed why hasn't his son been purged? This is Zabi Zeon we are talking about. Men have been executed for far less.

1: People lie, Kacylia is hardly above that. Though all Char would really need for successful recruitment are sympathyzers of his father.

Keeping Ramba Ral alive looked to be a power play. His family was powerful, and killing too many Zabi enemies would make things too complicated for an already shaky new government.

As for Char and Ramba Ral after that, their military achievements would be enough to quiet naysayers during war with the Federation.

I understand your problems with tge story, but you're assuming everyone in side 3 would be pro-Zabi.

Even as far back as the original Gundam, it's pretty much given that Kycilia knew. Given her character, a lie and a power play make the most sense; she was the only military commander among the whole family with any kind of strategic capability (if for a total lack of ability to inspire troop morale).

And of course, Zeon was notorious for being bad at anything involving the military. From budgeting to resource allocation to tactics, strategy, and force deployment, there is nothing they did right. Which is why a technologically superior military whose opening move was to levy a superweapon against the Earth- one which they could not be victim to themselves- lost so completely due to the inability to prevent the war from becoming one of attrition, in which the advantage would shift to their resource-rich and more populous opponents. (Not to mention the huge loss of spacenoid support thanks to the means by which Operation British was carried out) I can believe they'd be lax enough to let some Billy Badass with sunglasses join, especially if one of the commandants was like "oh yeah sure let him".

Might as well post my review here.

20140623215410-95112.jpg
Mobile Suit Gundam-san (機動戦士ガンダムさん)
Sunrise/Tokyo MX, 2014
Not available in the U.S.
Directed by Mankyū
Based on the manga by Hideki Owada (based upon characters created by Hajime Yatate and Yoshiyuki Tomino)
Running Time: 5 minutes per episode
Not Rated (Suggested TV-14). Contains violence, slight nudity, and crude humor.

(Editor's Note: The episodes are available on YouTube, but they're NSFW for the most part.)

Cast
Katsuyuki Konishi (Ozma Lee in Macross Frontier, Johann Trinity in Mobile Suit Gundam 00) as Char-san and Suisei Hiyoko
Megumi Han (Mushibugyo, Artesia Som Deikun/Sayla Mass in Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin) as Lalah-san
Tsubasa Yonaga (Haru Irei in Model Suit Gunpla Builders Beginning G, Prue in Valvrave the Liberator) as Amuro-san
Kaori Nazuka (Eureka Seven, Nunnally in Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion) as Sayla-san and Artepiyo
Kazuyuki Okitsu as Garma Zabi
Ryotaro Okiayu (Treize in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Andrew Waltfeld in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED) as Bright-san
Ryou Hirohashi (Susumu Sazaki in Gundam Build Fighters, Gyanko in Gundam Build Fighters Try) as Kycilia-tan, Kikka-chan, and 10Q Guncannon-san
Takashi Matsuyama (Capitalist Pig in Detroit Metal City, Megastorm/Gigastorm in Transformers: Beast Wars II) as Degwin-san, Haro-otoko, Woody-san, and Gundam-niisan
Rikako Yamaguchi (Osaki-ko in Hiiro no Kakera: The Tamayori Princess Saga, Sachi Nogami in Lagrange - The Flower of Rin-ne) as Fraw-san
Yoshimitsu Shimoyama as Kai-san and Hayato-san
Tohry Furuya (Amuro Ray in Mobile Suit Gundam, Ribbons Allmark in Mobile Suit Gundam 00) as the Narrator
Keiko Han (Lalah Sune in Mobile Suit Gundam, Luna in Sailor Moon) as the Proverbs Explanation

Story: B
Originally a four-panel manga series, Mobile Suit Gundam-san is an adult-oriented comedic look at the original series. Gundam-san focuses on random topics such as Char's obsession with red, Amuro's puberty issues, 14-year-old Kycilia's dilemma with Degwin's farts, and the mole on Lalah's forehead. Perhaps the most focal story arc is when Lalah adopts Suisei Hiyoko, a masked red bird that constantly attempts to kill Char. There's even a scene where Suisei Hiyoko meets up with his sister Artepiyo and they re-enact the Char/Sayla reunion scene. Oh yeah, Gundam-san show's Lalah's bad side, and you don't want to be around when that happens.

Animation: C+
Typical of late night comedy animation, there's nothing much to see here. Like in the manga, the art style fluctuates heavily depending on the mood of the characters.

Soundtrack: B-
Not much to talk about other than Char's opening song and the ending theme.

Sub vs. Dub
This won't be hitting Stateside anytime soon, so we're not gonna worry about that.

The Bottom Line
Mobile Suit Gundam-san is very much an acquired taste - you'll either love it or hate it. Otherwise, it's good for cheap laughs.

Links
Official Website

References
Anime News Network

In other news: 0083 Stardust Memory is finally getting a blu-ray release in Japan.

http://www.gundam.info/topic/13500

https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/cont/item/BCXA-1034/

They're re-mastering it?

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2015/07/mobile-suit-gundam-0083-stardust-memory.html

Guess we have the Zeta movies and SEED to thank for this.

Back in April I tweeted back and forth with Shawne Kleckner (President of Right Stuf) and he mentioned he hopes to do a Unicorn Bluray box set at some point and that they are re-releasing the older already dubbed series eventually. I am just hoping we get some of the bluray releases that Japan saw. I'd love to have all the prior series on bluray myself.

I am so happy right now. Anime Limited is releasing the very first Mobile Suit Gundam series on Blu-ray in the UK.

http://blog.alltheanime.com/mobile-suit-gundam/

Great news. Not enough anime makes it to region B release.

I hope they make a quality release.

Edited by Marzan

It's Gawker Media, did anyone expect accuracy?

And, honestly, SEED wasn't that bad. I just watched it again a couple weeks ago. My bad impressions of it had made it up to be this horrible whiny teenager show, when really it's just a more pacifistic take on 0079, until the final arc when there are shark-jumping Space Hitlers on both sides. I'd say it's better than Wing, if only because it uses less stock footage than Wing. (Which had an equally poorly-written story, but which holds up in the US only because of nostalgia value, being the first stateside long syndication of a Gundam show during a block targeted at the male 8-16 audience)

I do seem to recall all of the UC Gundam that came to the states before Wing was aired on the Midnight Run. It does break down Gawker's argument, but it is true that Wing had the widest reach of all the Gundam shows aired in the US.

I do seem to recall all of the UC Gundam that came to the states before Wing was aired on the Midnight Run. It does break down Gawker's argument, but it is true that Wing had the widest reach of all the Gundam shows aired in the US.

More than that, the 0079-related stuff was only available on video tape and could be ordered only from AnimeVillage.com.

So yeah, Wing was the first one on US television... But that's not what the article said.