1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's like they've given up on trying to tell stories in favor of just making glitzy 22 minute commercials for toys.

At least they're still drawing the Mobile Suits by hand.  Valkyries, on the other hand, haven't looked cool since Macross Plus.  :(

Edited by tekering

18 minutes ago, tekering said:

At least they're still drawing the Mobile Suits by hand.  Valkyries, on the other hand, haven't looked cool since Macross Plus.  :(

... eh, I disagree with your assessment of Valkyrie aesthetics in Macross sequels.  

As to drawing Mobile Suits by hand, what does it matter if they're hand-drawn if the show they're in is just a badly thought-out commercial for MSV Gunpla?  There is no longer any kind of thought to Gundam beyond "buy our crap".

• 3 weeks later...

Despite some translation issues (and the lackluster narration), that was excellent documentary.  I'd like to see Macross, Orguss, Mospeada, or Zeta Gundam covered in a similar manner.

Thanks for sharing!  :hi:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • azrael changed the title to Gundam Show Thread - MSG thru Hathaway
1 hour ago, Big s said:

Did they change the title due to the google algorithm bringing up pictures of a totally different Hathaway getting out of a car and accidentally showing everything under the skirt.

Nah, it's still 機動戦士ガンダム 閃光のハサウェイ.

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nah, it's still 機動戦士ガンダム 閃光のハサウェイ.

Yes, but as Noel facetiously points out, they're not using the word "Flash" in their marketing.  The English text simply says "Hathaway."

On 8/1/2019 at 10:20 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

As to drawing Mobile Suits by hand, what does it matter if they're hand-drawn if the show they're in is just a badly thought-out commercial for MSV Gunpla?  There is no longer any kind of thought to Gundam beyond "buy our crap".

That remains a clear and present danger with any Gundam narrative (:p), but there are degrees... and this certainly doesn't appear as crass as Build Fighters or Gunpla Builders Beginning G. <_<

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More good news is that Gundam movies 1,2,3 are coming to Netflix on Friday.  I tried slogging through the show once but the animation was too dated for me to enjoy now and it was such a long show.  Now I can watch the three movies and get caught up on the start of the franchise.

Char's Counterattack is coming Friday as well.

8 hours ago, Dynaman said:

More good news is that Gundam movies 1,2,3 are coming to Netflix on Friday.  I tried slogging through the show once but the animation was too dated for me to enjoy now and it was such a long show.

At 25 minutes apiece, I prefer the TV episodes to the two-and-half hour slog each of the films represents... and it's the same dated animation either way. :p

One significant advantage is the 20th anniversary audio track, however.  The cast re-recorded all the dialogue for the films, and a lot of the cheesy '70s music cues and sound effects were also changed.

9 hours ago, tekering said:

At 25 minutes apiece, I prefer the TV episodes to the two-and-half hour slog each of the films represents... and it's the same dated animation either way. :p

One significant advantage is the 20th anniversary audio track, however.  The cast re-recorded all the dialogue for the films, and a lot of the cheesy '70s music cues and sound effects were also changed.

Isn't Gundam a 43 episode show.  That is roughly 18 hours instead of 7.5.  With titles like "This Attacks!", "That Attacks!", or "The Other Thing Attacks!".  Granted there was character development and perhaps I didn't see every episode title but I had trouble slogging through the first couple DVDs a few years back.  Best thing with streaming is I can watch a bit and come back and watch some more as long as I don't take too long and the show goes off the service.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I'm surprised no ones posted since Hathaway is out now on Netflix. Took me about two sittings to finally finish it. Sort of felt anticlimactic but that's cause I didn't realize this was gonna be a multipart film. English cast was good, I could of sworn Cristina Vee is playing Gigi but maybe I'm wrong?

53 minutes ago, Hikuro said:

Wow I'm surprised no ones posted since Hathaway is out now on Netflix. Took me about two sittings to finally finish it. Sort of felt anticlimactic but that's cause I didn't realize this was gonna be a multipart film. English cast was good, I could of sworn Cristina Vee is playing Gigi but maybe I'm wrong?

It's definitely on my to-watch list, along with Narrative, but I have a hard time working up enthusiasm for UC Gundam these days.

The real word is already unstintingly grim and depressing enough, y'know?

I love Hathaway movie. Love the MS scenes even though it's short. But this time around you can really feel the weight of it and it's a good touch. Yes it was anticlimactic. But since I know the novel ending, I'm not so sure if I want to watch the ending. :( 

Also I don't know what's wrong with me but I really couldn't bring myself on watching anime in English dub. It always felt wrong for me. I always have a hard time watching it in english. :unsure:

2 hours ago, Big s said:

As far as narrative, it’s totally skippable, and maybe one of the best examples of how stupid gundam can be.

That bad?  Really? :shok:

3 hours ago, Big s said:

I’m gonna try and watch this later today. As far as narrative, it’s totally skippable, and maybe one of the best examples of how stupid gundam can be.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That bad?  Really? :shok:

56 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Yes. :vava:

Agreed, it was pretty much as useless as that stupid mini web series they did called Twilight Axis. 

2 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Isn't Narrative something about time travel? Something something Newtype something Psychoframe something time travel?

I'd heard it was kind of a coda to Unicorn, wrapping up the nonsense with the Sleeves via a rejected Char candidate and a third Unicorn Gundam to explain why this setting breaking bullsh*t isn't present after that story.