1 hour ago, anime52k8 said:

Macross Gundam?

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

We had one of those... 

Well, more like two...

Maybe three if you count the original concept for the SDF-1, which was a White Base knockoff that turned into a giant Gundam...

I meant more about the show than the mecha. IIRC, one of you mentioned the Zeta being a shout-out to the VF-1, so we're pretty well covered on that front.

But really, I'd have liked the next Gundam show to be another AU. Sunrise et al went some really interesting places with... well, not so much with Build FIghters or Divers... or Age... or G-Rec... Okay, so really only IBO piqued my interest, but enough so to make me want to see what they do next. To see it be just another return to boring old Universal Century and boring old Unicorn...

19 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I meant more about the show than the mecha. IIRC, one of you mentioned the Zeta being a shout-out to the VF-1, so we're pretty well covered on that front.

That was probably me... from the Bandai B-Club Magazine #79 feature on Macross's influence on the mecha genre.  Zeta Gundam was probably the biggest title listed.  Macross II itself, of course, was a new Macross OVA with more than a few Gundam veterans working on it at the time.

As far as a Gundam show that's like Macross... we kinda had that too.  It was exactly as terrible and forced-feeling as you'd expect an attempt to port Macross's sunny disposition into a franchise which runs on dark and depressing like Gundam.  Mobile Suit Gundam: A Wakening of the Trailblazer was just a frigging train wreck start-to-finish, as Gundam's first foray into the subject of actual alien life and first contact.  (Sentient life, mind.  I don't count the dead space whale in SEED or that bacteria from the Crossbone Gundam: Ghost manga.)

19 hours ago, kajnrig said:

But really, I'd have liked the next Gundam show to be another AU. Sunrise et al went some really interesting places with... well, not so much with Build FIghters or Divers... or Age... or G-Rec... Okay, so really only IBO piqued my interest, but enough so to make me want to see what they do next. To see it be just another return to boring old Universal Century and boring old Unicorn...

These days I certainly find the new AU stories more enjoyable than the Universal Century... barring messes like Build FightersBuild Divers, and Age.

Gundam Unicorn and the Re:0096 series really didn't make much of an impression on me.  I've seen both, and neither was engaging enough for me to get invested in the story or so dull that I couldn't stand to watch another minute.  Universal Century Gundam show plots are pretty much a foregone conclusion as a rule since the Gundam's side always wins, but because it was set between a pair of older Gundam shows all the fuss and noise about the world-altering implications of Laplace's box in the series fell completely flat because the audience already knew nothing was going to change.

If they're determined to keep doing Universal Century stories they need to move to a date beyond what's already been done for the timeline.  Side stories like Unicorn and Thunderbolt don't make a meaningful contribution to the setting, because we know going into it that any drama on their part has literally zero impact on the setting.  Any consequences the characters incur have no weight to them, because the shape of the future is predetermined.  It's like watching a recording of a recent sporting event after you've seen the final score.  You can appreciate the technical perspective, but there's little excitement when you already know the outcome.

I don’t mind if the characters story doesn’t make a huge historical impact to the series as long as it’s good to watch. Side stories have been some of the best stuff. I love 08th ms team, but it really didn’t do much to impact the gundam universe and It didn’t need to. The main characters weren’t super heroes or anything special, they were just good. The series was good because it didn’t have to be super important and world changing.

I fear we are moving closer to the time when Bandai says screw it and decides everything after Unicorn (or well the new movie now) is no longer canon. Unicorn started as a side story but it's popularity has almost upgraded it to a main part of UC. I hope I'm wrong but it makes sense for Bandai to "erase" late UC so it's moneymaker can be more important.

They are making a bunch of F91 stuff now and soon they will be pushing out more Crossbone stuff so they can make as much as they can before they cut it loose. No sign of Victory stuff getting more models or metal builds anytime soon though, Bandai hates that series.

20 minutes ago, dizman said:

I fear we are moving closer to the time when Bandai says screw it and decides everything after Unicorn (or well the new movie now) is no longer canon. Unicorn started as a side story but it's popularity has almost upgraded it to a main part of UC. I hope I'm wrong but it makes sense for Bandai to "erase" late UC so it's moneymaker can be more important.

I thought Gundam Unicorn side story is a part of UC? I doubt they will erase late UC after Unicorn. The only novel I think of that somehow differs from the animated one is CCA Beltochika Children. Or is there more that can be say it differs from the actual UC story? Though it would be nice to see an animate OAV for Char's Deleted Affair. And ofcourse, why not make an anime series dedicated to Advance of Z. ^_^

Edited by no3Ljm

My bad I probably wasn't clear enough on that, I meant that yes Unicorn is a UC side story but it's importance is being tied to it's profits. It's already getting a continuation movie, soon it will be considered just as important to the UC era as CCA but the problem is the stories that come after invalidate it. I'm just being a worrywart, they will probably find a way to blend it with F91 but the option to restart is there and it's an easy out for Bandai.

2 hours ago, dizman said:

My bad I probably wasn't clear enough on that, I meant that yes Unicorn is a UC side story but it's importance is being tied to it's profits. It's already getting a continuation movie, soon it will be considered just as important to the UC era as CCA but the problem is the stories that come after invalidate it. I'm just being a worrywart, they will probably find a way to blend it with F91 but the option to restart is there and it's an easy out for Bandai.

I see. Got your point. But the only thing I got confused is the 'stories that come after invalidate it.' What story is there that invalidates the importance of the Unicorn story? I mean, the Unicorn story is 23 plus years before F91. So I'm sure they will find a way to integrate that. And beyond the Gundam Unicorn story, there wasn't anything written it, correct? Not sure with novel though.

Besides, Sunrise will probably do something about it too. Disney already did it with the Star Wars franchise. ^_^ 

Unicorn was written after F91 and Victory so it would have no actual effect on the later stories. No matter what happened in Unicorn it wouldn't change what we already have.

Now lets just imagine production order doesn't matter, what did Unicorn accomplish? Nothing really, Zeon is still around in small pockets afterwards, as far as I know Newtypes still don't hold any official government office or have any representation until Victory. The Unicorn Gundams are locked away or destroyed and psychoframe research is halted due to fear and research into more stable systems (this was already a plot point after CCA as I recall but we will give it to Unicorn). 

A dumb thought I just had about Laplace's Box, the Federation is spineless so I could see them paying Vist to keep things hidden but when the Titans took over they probably would have just called Vist a terrorist and killed him/burned everything he owned to the ground.

Sorry for such a noob question, but if one wanted to give Gundam a try what show’s should I watch or avoid and in what order? Appreciate any help. I see several series are on Hulu and I have Netflix and Funimation too. I read that Gundam The origin is a good one.

Chris

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

Sorry for such a noob question, but if one wanted to give Gundam a try what show’s should I watch or avoid and in what order? Appreciate any help. I see several series are on Hulu and I have Netflix and Funimation too. I read that Gundam The origin is a good one.

Chris

I suggest Gundam The Origin. 

If you want more grounded mechas, I suggest the Universal Century series.

Edited by no3Ljm
Century not Colony. :)

You can't go wrong with 08th MS Team or 0080 War in the Pocket but the best place to start with Gundam is the original series or compilation trilogy.

The Origin is an interesting starting point since it's a prequel series but not to the original series. Instead it's a prequel to a remake that hasn't been animated yet and changes some things from the original story. Kinda like the differences between SDFM and DYRL.

I started with Origin, then decided to watch in chronological order. In the last year-ish, I've made it through:

Origin, Original MSG, 08th MS, 0080, 0083, Zeta, ZZ & CCA 

I'd seen CCA before, but it's much more interesting when I know the characters better. Still not great, but much better! I'd also read a novelization of what I assume the 3-part MSG movies were when I was a teen. Skipped Thunderbolt & Igloo.

I've watched the first episode of Unicorn now, too. A lot of the series are pretty similar though, so it's easy to get burnt out marathoning it. 

20 hours ago, Dobber said:

Chris

Since you read the manga I recommend:

08th MS Team, 0080 War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memory, Zeta Gundam (In that order) 

All of those are solid series. War in the Pocket is a little slow but short (total of six episodes). Zeta will look and feel dated compared the first three. There is a movie compilation for Zeta if you don't want to watch all 50 episodes.  That is like phase one of the Gundam U.C. Timeline.

After that you get ZZ Gundam, Char's Counter Attack (movie), Unicorn Gundam and F91 (movie). ZZ Gundam is a hard watch in my opinion. The first season is really rough and the second gets a little better. Definitely recommend CCA and F91, very good movies that should have had their own series.

Gundam Thunderbolt is also great and happens during/after the One Year War. The thing with Thunderbolt is that the technology is really advanced for the time period and can be considered separated from the main U.C. canon. Also they have been releasing the manga, I say read manga if you have time then watch the anime. The manga flushes out a few more things than the anime. But that is my personal opinion.

And if you want something a little more contained Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, Mobile Suit Iron-Blooded Orphans are really good. Both only have one main series (50 episodes) with a movie/OVA and are completely separate from the U.C timeline. 

Wing and double o have the horrible main character problem. I hated them and found side characters so much better that I wished the shows were about them instead. IBO was good, it had some very unexpected moments but kinda had a useless ending like unicorn. I guess it’s too much to ask for an epic show to have an interesting ending. 

Maybe I should just rewatch votoms again.

• 3 weeks later...

hold on a second, Is the reason it's called Mobile Suit Moon Gundam seriously because it's about the god damn Moon Moon Colony?

Edited by anime52k8

24 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

hold on a second, Is the reason it's called Mobile Suit Moon Gundam seriously because it's about the god damn Moon Moon Colony?

So this story takes place one year before Char's Counterattack. Interesting.

5 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

Well everyone loved the Moon Moon arc in ZZ so much they just had to make a spinoff series about it.

On 5/14/2018 at 2:51 PM, anime52k8 said:

I have been enjoying the story so far. The characters are interesting and the plot is moving along. I like the proto-Sazabi, the Gundam built by the Titans and the Theta plus. Really hope they do a Theta model kit, that would be awesome. 

3 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

I would take anything that site posted with a Gundam-sized grain of salt...  There are factual errors, spelling mistakes, vague and uncredited sources, and they don't even identify the author!  :blink:

On 4/22/2018 at 9:21 PM, dizman said:

They are making a bunch of F91 stuff now and soon they will be pushing out more Crossbone stuff so they can make as much as they can before they cut it loose. No sign of Victory stuff getting more models or metal builds anytime soon though, Bandai hates that series.

Tomino moreso than Bandai. Notice that Victory doesn't even appear in the timeline pic that no3Ljm posted above. It's almost like they're trying to erase it from existence altogether.

Edited by captain america

23 hours ago, captain america said:

Tomino moreso than Bandai. Notice that Victory doesn't even appear in the timeline pic that no3Ljm posted above. It's almost like they're trying to erase it from existence altogether.

Hmm I don't know if Tomino hates Victory or if it is more hatred towards Sunrise for selling out to Bandai and making the production a mess. Either way I wouldn't be surprised to see Victory erased first, Bandai knows there isn't a big market for the suits other than Victory and V2.

Speaking of a mess, I found that someone uploaded the infamous english dub of ZZ to youtube recently. I wasn't able to get past a few minutes but it seems like a poorly spliced together movie of the whole series, watch if you dare!

4 hours ago, tekering said:

Like MS Igloo, but with actual scope and ambition.

Spectacular!  :wub:

I thought MS Igloo was OK. While the 3D on this fan movie is great, it is still mostly shots of stationary or slow moving objects (especially first part). And I don't know if this level of quality can be sustained for many episodes without a lot of manhours or $$$ spent.

That was pretty neat, the start up sequence with all the parallels to a real jet start up was well thought out. I hope now that they have all the CG models done they can focus more on the animation for the next part.

more! more!