Movig on...

For someone who loves Macross Plus, Evangelion, Full Metal Panic, and mecha shows in general, what would be a good Gundam series to start with? I wouldn't mind getting my feet wet in the Gundam Universe.

Also, Domon of G-Gundam really is the only really likable lead of any Gundam show, UC and non-UC. He's pretty simple and quite uncomplicated. And this is with G-Gundam's even more simplistic setting and storyline.

All of the other lead characters of the other Gundam shows have some moronic flaw(s) cooked up by the writers out of their collective asses to tie up some drama or plot-line that really don't make any logical or even common sense.

But if you really want dramatic and kickass Gundam storyline, just watch 0080: War in the Pocket anime. The plot is pretty lame, but the storyline is linear and cogent, and the characters are mostly tolerable.

However, it has this frakking awesome BLUE enemy suit called Kampfer. Yeah. You just gotta see it in action.

Next up will be the 8th MS Team anime. Again, the storyline is pretty lame. The suits are quite boring in specs. The characters are sometimes too stupid for their own good. However, it can be quite engaging once you accept that. Especially the battles. Jungle-battles, urban/city battles. Etc, etc.

Just don't watch the epilogue (ep-12) (which is a stupid add-on from Tomino) since that pretty much completely ruins it.

End 8th MS-Team anime at ep-11 Shuddering Mountain II. It's more epic that way.

edit: I forgot to mention that both 0080 and 8th MS Team anime does not have the standard Gundam storyline shenanigan of having some wonder kid as a lead and/or some mysterious character wearing shades or masks...

:bump:

Edited by treatment

I've never watched any of the Gundam series, but based on the mecha designs alone, I'm not too crazy about the Thunderbolt designs, although I can see how they might appeal to longtime fans (nostalgic feel from early designs). I prefer stuff like the variable Unicorn Mobile Suits, the Sazabi, the Arios, the F-91, Zeta, and a number of others whose names I don't know and am too lazy to look up at the moment. The early Suits just never grabbed me.

For someone who loves Macross Plus, Evangelion, Full Metal Panic, and mecha shows in general, what would be a good Gundam series to start with? I wouldn't mind getting my feet wet in the Gundam Universe.

You can really start wherever you want, though watching the main UC series in order is highly recommended. Since you are more attracted to the designs than the story I'd say go for what you like, Unicorn could be a good starting point since its got plenty of great combat and designs.

Chars Counterattack isn't great story wise but the MS battles are still some of my favorites.

I haven't watched the F-91 movie in a long time but I remember some pretty cool battles and interesting designs from it.

Gundam 00 is a great series that is split into two seasons, if you don't like the first you can always skip the second.

I can't really recommend the zeta movies but the series is still one of the best out of all Gundam.

Edited by dizman

I think I'm on board with the recommendation to start with either 08th MS or 0083. They deal with a lot of the core principles of Gundam, without being unmanageably long or dealing too deeply with feelings. (Bernie, no...) While G Gundam is great, and I do recommend watching it, if only for Domon, it doesn't really set an over-arching tone for Gundam as a whole. Also I feel like it's about 40 episodes too long. If you're going to start somewhere with Gundam, it can't really be G Gundam.

I think at this point, it's no spoiler that Amuro and the Gundam win the One Year War for the Earth Federation, so I don't think it's strictly necessary to start at the beginning, but even some other ancient non-spoiler stuff (a la much of Zeta's story) doesn't really work very well without a primer on the UC. And much of the new stuff, which is spoileriffic, relies even more heavily on the rest of UC Gundam. I'd go so far as to say Gundam Unicorn is a must-watch anime, let alone a must-watch Gundam series, but there is really no point watching it unless you've seen Zeta and Char's Counterattack at the very least, and those are going to require some kind of intro into the Universal Century.

All the same, I don't think I'd recommend a non-UC Gundam show as a starter at this point. Wing was fine when I was a kid, but it doesn't hold up to nostalgia, and SEED honestly isn't bad, but it bears the weight of its director's sins. And then there's 00, which is modern Wing, AGE which isn't worth mentioning, and Build Fighters which only kind of counts as a Gundam anime. (Even if it is AMAZING) That leaves us with Iron Blooded Orphans, which is just beginning, G-Reco which tanked, and Turn A which is too far out there to start off with.

So, yeah. Start off with 08th MS Team, then watch 0083. #GATO

I've never watched any of the Gundam series, but based on the mecha designs alone, I'm not too crazy about the Thunderbolt designs, although I can see how they might appeal to longtime fans (nostalgic feel from early designs). I prefer stuff like the variable Unicorn Mobile Suits, the Sazabi, the Arios, the F-91, Zeta, and a number of others whose names I don't know and am too lazy to look up at the moment. The early Suits just never grabbed me.

I'm a fan of similar shows and for me, Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket (a 6-episode OVA) was what made me fall in love with Gundam. Just be warned it's more drama than mecha action (much like Macross Plus), but it's an absolutely amazing Gundam production. It's also short enough that it's not much of a burden.

If you'd like something a little more modern, I loved the first season of Gundam 00. The second season not so much, but the first season comes to a satisfying finale, so you don't have to go on if you don't want to. I've rewatched it and enjoyed it standalone. Lots of mecha action, fun characters, great mechanical design, excellent animation and entertaining music. All around great time.

I'd also recommend Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team. A solid 12 episodes filled with some great entertainment and honestly, some of THE best mecha action I've ever seen in any anime.

You could try the "Gundam: The Origin" manga series; its an updated retelling of the first Gundam by one of the original animators and the art is simply gorgeous, its almost like reading a movie at times (if that makes sense, the art just flows that well).

Gundam 0080 and 0083 (Stardust Memory) were among the first Gundam I saw and though it helps to know a little of the history of the "Universal Century" timeline (Gundam has several different "universes", much like "Star Trek") you can enjoy them without; thats what I did.

Just remember the three rules of Gundam Club:

Rule One: Everyone dies.

Rule Two: No-one comes back.

Rule Three: No-one comes back!

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I recommend starting with the 0079 Gundam Movies Trilogy. You don't need to see the original 0079 TV series. The movies trilogy does a good job of getting to the point and it's well animated for its time. 3 movies is also not too difficult to commit to. With most other Gundam series either stemming from or influenced by what the original establishes, it's a good place to start.

You could try the "Gundam: The Origin" manga series; its an updated retelling of the first Gundam by one of the original animators and the art is simply gorgeous, its almost like reading a movie at times (if that makes sense, the art just flows that well).

Gundam 0080 and 0083 (Stardust Memory) were among the first Gundam I saw and though it helps to know a little of the history of the "Universal Century" timeline (Gundam has several different "universes", much like "Star Trek") you can enjoy them without; thats what I did.

Just remember the three rules of Gundam Club:

Rule One: Everyone dies.

Rule Two: No-one comes back.

Rule Three: No-one comes back!

Those are the rules of the UC Gundam Club. Other universes have retcons.

About time a Gundam series started using jazz music.

Yes, I think I will watch Thunderbolt now.

IBO is superb so far and i dont use that word often.

From the pacing to the emotional engagement to the twist of how tekkadan would win the battle.

To the dialogue on negotiation leading to character building...On how the battle bridge sinks in....to how the gundam in deployed...

to how akihiro took on 2 suits on his own...and had me thinking he would be the casualty...

Then the timing of the ED into the battle scene.

Am speechless.

Well done sunrise on this episode.

Thunderbolt updates: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-19/gundam-thunderbolt-anime-staff-cast-distribution-episode-count-designs-revealed/.95550

"The anime will have a total of four episodes. The first episode will be available digitally on December 25 starting at 12 p.m. in Japan (December 24 at 10:00 p.m. EST)."

Edited by joppewo

So where/how is everyone watching IBO? (As in, US fans)

Heck, same question for the origin.

Hulu, which is difficult, their subtitles are exact same as what we get everywhere else but there's this damn black bar background too I hate with a passion.

Whole rest of the world gets in it in HD for free on ad-supported YouTube. We get a broken 480p stream and super ads, or a subscription streaming service we can't justify paying for. And all that means for me is I'm not watching it on the medium that's going to generate revenue for them, but I spend enough money on Gundam merchandise, I don't feel too bad about watching it via a method that doesn't generate them any revenue. I figure, if I buy one kit from the series, the profit margins on that are greater than the potential revenues, even if I clicked through on every ad for even a 52-episode series. Of course, if they'd leverage their options in an attractive way, they could pad that just the bit more, but that's where I stand.

So I'm not watching it yet. That time will come. And it will gain Bandai nothing, and it will be in 1080p. At least they got ad revenue from when I watched Build Fighters twice. (And a ton better margins from the BF kits I've bought, and even better margins on the ones I want to buy) And who knows, maybe I'll love the mecha design enough to buy some merch. The show itself is a toy commercial at its core, after all.

Is it not streaming on Daisuki in the U.S?

In 480p with even more ads than YouTube. As an aside, Daisuki's stream sometimes breaks in my browser. I suspect one of my extensions is killing it- potentially AdBlock Plus, even if I disable it, because I can't be bothered to uninstall and reinstall Chrome just to fix the dependency issue ABP sometimes causes with ad-heavy streaming sites. If I was really interested in streaming IBO, I'd have already used a VPN to get to YouTube via a foreign IP. I don't care for buffering though.