I couldnt make it through Seed.

I am a get off my lawn UC guy.

I mean really I only like this as far as Gundam.

0079 Movies,0080,08th MS Team,Zeta,ZZ(after the initial episodes..)CCA,F91

Then to me Gundam just sort of dies. Victory was OK and so was Turn A but my all time favorite is Zeta with the 0079 Movies in second place.

I enjoyed G Gundam a lot. It's probably cuz I was younger and didn't notice all the crazy racial nuances and horrid drama, just Domon Kashu yelling "SHHHHHIIIIINNNNNIIINNNNGGGG FINNNNGAAAAAHHHH" a lot of times while turning gold.

I thought it was cool :ph34r:

Nope, it's because G is full of hot blood and awesome.

Because I'm going to start reviewing Gundam for my Podcast, I figured I'd need to brush up on all the ones I've missed out. Currently the only show I've never really seen a lick of is ZZ Gundam. I'm not looking forward to this but it ain't worse than AGE or Destiny, I'm sure, and I have Macross Frontier to dull the pain.

Since the first episode is just a clip show recap of MSG and Zeta, I'm going to skip that one and start with episode 2 and post my first impressions after episode 6. Wish me luck. icon_wink.gif

Oh and rest in peace, poor Saegusa.

I've seen the first three or so episodes of zz and was pleasantly surprised. The visuals were dark, the setting eerily post-war grit, and the humor a bit dark, as is appropriate for the survivors of a space war...

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

• 4 weeks later...

Gundam Movie Domains Listed Under Sony Pictures

No idea what this means...Sony becomes the international distributor for the property? Sony is gonna develop a Hollywood-style live-action? Sony is domain squatting/parking cuz Bandai Ent. has practically ended most of its licensing business?

not gonna hold my breath. after the failure of G-Savior I hope to god no one will ever touch Gundam again in hollywood or Western society in a live action way unless they damn well know what they're doing.

This had nothing to with Hollywood and Western society. The blame falls squarely on Sunrise and Bandai of Japan deciding to hire a bunch of Canadians who had never done anything outside of cheesy scifi tv shows like Mutant X rather than approach a big name studio. They got what they paid for.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never did get around to posting how I rank the franchise here. With that said.... (yes these are greater than signs)

Seed Destiny/Final Plus and Super Nova > Seed Destiny Special Edition > Victory > Seed/After Phase Between The Stars > X > 00 Season 2/A Wakening of The Trail Blazer > Seed Special Edition > 0083 Afterglow of Zeon > Wing > 0083 Stardust Memory/Cima Special > SD Gaiden > G > 00 Season 1 > Wing Endless Waltz/Movie > Zeta: A New Translation > 0079 Movies > Zeta > Original Series > 08th MS Team/Battle in Three Dimensions > F91 > ZZ/Frag. > MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity Front > SD Romance of The Three Kingdoms/Super Deneiben > Evolve > Turn A > MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War/Apocalypse 0079 > Char's Counterattack > Gunpla Builders G > SD Counterattack > Stargazer > Age > 0080: War in The Pocket > SD Mark 2 > SD Mark 1 > SD Mark 5 > SD Mark 3 > 08th MS Team: Miller's Report > SD Mark 4 > 30th Gundam Perfect Mission > Mission to Rise > Ring of Gundam > Seed Astray > All That Gundam

So yeah, I'm a pretty casual fan from what little I've seen. :p

I never did get around to posting how I rank the franchise here. With that said.... (yes these are greater than signs)

Seed Destiny/Final Plus and Super Nova > Seed Destiny Special Edition > Victory > Seed/After Phase Between The Stars > X > 00 Season 2/A Wakening of The Trail Blazer > Seed Special Edition > 0083 Afterglow of Zeon > Wing > 0083 Stardust Memory/Cima Special > SD Gaiden > G > 00 Season 1 > Wing Endless Waltz/Movie > Zeta: A New Translation > 0079 Movies > Zeta > Original Series > 08th MS Team/Battle in Three Dimensions > F91 > ZZ/Frag. > MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity Front > SD Romance of The Three Kingdoms/Super Deneiben > Evolve > Turn A > MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War/Apocalypse 0079 > Char's Counterattack > Gunpla Builders G > SD Counterattack > Stargazer > Age > 0080: War in The Pocket > SD Mark 2 > SD Mark 1 > SD Mark 5 > SD Mark 3 > 08th MS Team: Miller's Report > SD Mark 4 > 30th Gundam Perfect Mission > Mission to Rise > Ring of Gundam > Seed Astray > All That Gundam

So yeah, I'm a pretty casual fan from what little I've seen. :p

I think that's the first time I've ever seen Seed Destiny ranked at the very top. Most of time I see it at the very bottom.

Different strokes for different folks indeed.

No, seriously... I'm halfway through watching 08th MS Team again, and while the production values are amazing, and I can totally understand why people who never saw the original Gundam like it, I can't bring myself to enjoy it.

Seriously...where's the pain and death...? Where're the Newtypes...? Where're Amuro and Char...?

To be honest, 08th MS Team was the first Gundam show I saw, even before the original or Gundam Wing (which were most people's opening to Gundam in America). The whole Newtype thing never really took off with me, and while the original Gundam was alright, the pure mecha action and real world-esque combat brought up by 08th MS Team appealed to me.

Throw in a little philosophical "who is my enemy", and it was the perfect blend for me.

That's just me of course :) Also, the ground type gundam is awesome ;)

In honesty, if I were to do a huge listing of my rankings for Gundam series, I'm sure the original series would end up more towards the bottom than the top. Zeta, ZZ, Char's counterattack, etc. were all more enjoyable for me than the original. Something about the original just seemed...boring (not really quite the right word) for me...

Edited by Archer

To be honest, 08th MS Team was the first Gundam show I saw, even before the original or Gundam Wing (which were most people's opening to Gundam in America). The whole Newtype thing never really took off with me, and while the original Gundam was alright, the pure mecha action and real world-esque combat brought up by 08th MS Team appealed to me.

Throw in a little philosophical "who is my enemy", and it was the perfect blend for me.

That's just me of course :) Also, the ground type gundam is awesome ;)

In honesty, if I were to do a huge listing of my rankings for Gundam series, I'm sure the original series would end up more towards the bottom than the top. Zeta, ZZ, Char's counterattack, etc. were all more enjoyable for me than the original. Something about the original just seemed...boring (not really quite the right word) for me...

I hear ya. If I'd seen 08th MS Team first, I'd probably like it best, too. It's well-directed and well-animated.

But since I saw 0079 first, I'm like, "Wait...Balls and Mobile Suits...? In OCTOBER of 0079...? And MASS-PRODUCED GUNDAMS...? Those are GMs, right?"

I enjoyed "8th MS Team", though if I had an issue with it its that I was sort of expecting "Gundampocalypse Now" from it and of course, its not really like that except in passing. :) The final episode is one of the best things the One Year War setting has ever done, and the other stand-out for me is that once - just once - a GM gets to be completely, totally, no-question-about-it, awesome. [1]

[1] Of course, this is almost immediately mitigated by that fact that the GM is then instructed to commit a major war crime. But then, its a GM - its not allowed any breaks. :)

[1] Of course, this is almost immediately mitigated by that fact that the GM is then instructed to commit a major war crime. But then, its a GM - its not allowed any breaks. :)

If you're refering to the hospital ship they lost they lost that status protection when they took the flying Gouf's onboard. The Feddie commander was well within his rights to issue firing orders at that point.

Even if non-newtypes and more "realistic" takes on combat are your thing, I still think 0080 is a better series overall than 8th MS team in that vein. Personally, I saw Wing, 0080, 8th MS, and G all before I saw 0079 (I may have watched 0083 before 0079 too, but I can't remember) but I'd still rank 8th MS lower than all those (except 0083). I agree 08th MS is beautifully animated and has some cool stuff going on but I just never could get that in to the story. I think it's because I just Don't like Shiro Amada as a character. Also, the ending is kind of a cheap.

Yeah, the ending to 08th MS Team was a little disappointing.

I still think it would have been a better ending altogether if they both (Shiro and the Zeon girl) simply died instead of becoming Saint-like at the end

^Not really a spoiler, but some people haven't seen 08th MS Team

Also, here's some food for thought. I saw 08th MS Team, Stardust Memory, War in the Pocket, played TONS of One Year War games, saw zeta, double zeta, and char's counterattack all before I ever bothered to watch 0079. Thus, I kinda knew the whole story before even watching it, which is probably why I never really enjoyed it, watching it more out of sheer fandom rather than personal entertainment.

And lastly, I gotta disagree with you again, I LOVED 0083 :D